Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah looks like asbestos I’ve seen on pipes, but if isolated to that pretty easy to remove or even encapsulate if you’re really cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Modus Pwnens posted:

I was looking at a home the other day and saw these old radiator/boiler pipes. What are the odds this is asbestos?

100%

Just don't mess with them. If they are in a area where they might get messed with have them wrapped (encapsulated) and they'll be fine.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If I went on a site and saw that I'd tell my supervisor I ain't doing poo poo until it's been identified in a lab as being not asbestos.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Thanks, that's what I suspected. I'd heard that it's not so bad in the plaster form for pipe insulation, when it's in good shape. (Except to expect an expensive replacement if I ever needed work done on the boiler/pipes) But this has been cut open with fibers exposed, and is pretty badly cracked elsewhere. I'd also be worried that it got scattered everywhere when people cut the other piece away however many decades ago, but that might not be a reasonable fear.

I'd have an inspection done before buying anything but it's good to have an idea before we get that far, so thanks for the replies.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Modus Pwnens posted:

Thanks, that's what I suspected. I'd heard that it's not so bad in the plaster form for pipe insulation, when it's in good shape. (Except to expect an expensive replacement if I ever needed work done on the boiler/pipes) But this has been cut open with fibers exposed, and is pretty badly cracked elsewhere. I'd also be worried that it got scattered everywhere when people cut the other piece away however many decades ago, but that might not be a reasonable fear.

I'd have an inspection done before buying anything but it's good to have an idea before we get that far, so thanks for the replies.

If in doubt, check it out. Have it sampled and tested. If it is asbestos, since it's /generally/ intact, sealing it up with an appropriate sealant should make it safe enough to live with, if that's acceptable for you.

It'll be a concern if work needs to be done on the piping, but not a prohibitive one usually.

Stripping it all up-front is also a reasonable call.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
This might be controversial but... If you don't test it you don't know that it's asbestos and won't need to disclose it on a sale. If you're going to encapsulate it anyway there's nothing to gain by knowing what it is.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

StormDrain posted:

This might be controversial but... If you don't test it you don't know that it's asbestos and won't need to disclose it on a sale. If you're going to encapsulate it anyway there's nothing to gain by knowing what it is.

Don't be this person. Do it right.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
or lick it

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Be a real man, do lines of coke off the sheathing. Rail them up so that the line ends right at the end where the exposed fibres are.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Gonna be a lot of content coming from Texas soon!

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/st...ingawful.com%2F

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

brugroffil posted:

Gonna be a lot of content coming from Texas soon!

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/st...ingawful.com%2F

It's all fun and games until that one neighbor reroutes his sewer pipes straight on to the street to save on the monthly sewer bill.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
When I bought my house a few months ago I got the sellers to agree to remove like 150 feet of asbestos wrap on pipe in the basement for about $1500.

Every company I talked to said encapsulation cost almost as much as removal and then you don’t have to worry about dealing with it or disclosures in the future.

If it’s not a lot and you’re cheap you could uhh just wet it down and put it in a trash bag, tie it up, put it in another trash bag and leave it out with the rest. Wear a mask.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Check your local laws before you do that - and where to dispose of properly. It doesn’t look like a lot but for instance if it’s more than 10 feet of it we need permits and a license to do removal.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

When I bought my house a few months ago I got the sellers to agree to remove like 150 feet of asbestos wrap on pipe in the basement for about $1500.

Every company I talked to said encapsulation cost almost as much as removal and then you don’t have to worry about dealing with it or disclosures in the future.

If it’s not a lot and you’re cheap you could uhh just wet it down and put it in a trash bag, tie it up, put it in another trash bag and leave it out with the rest. Wear a mask.

Lol Wtf?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

I probably worded that first bit weird, we got an asbestos remediation contractor to remove it/test the air quality and the sellers agreed to pay. It wasn’t as much as I had though it would be initially, and I’m glad we went with removal over encapsulation.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

I probably worded that first bit weird, we got an asbestos remediation contractor to remove it/test the air quality and the sellers agreed to pay. It wasn’t as much as I had though it would be initially, and I’m glad we went with removal over encapsulation.

Encapsulation is only a good idea when you A) Never ever need to gently caress with it ever again and B) it's like 3x cheaper than removal. Or C) You're pretty sure it's asbestos, but as long as you never formally check you never have to formally disclose it!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Shady and/or osha af poo poo itt.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Encapsulation is only a good idea when you A) Never ever need to gently caress with it ever again and B) it's like 3x cheaper than removal. Or C) You're pretty sure it's asbestos, but as long as you never formally check you never have to formally disclose it!

D) Plastic shower curtain wrapped around the pipe and some duct tape, like grandpa did

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Fill in the basement with concrete (and piss towels)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You're right but also there's not a lot of incentive to do the right thing with the current laws and rightful stigma.

Having it removed professionally is the best thing to do in this case. Having it tested and leaving it would be the worst, financially, since it'll make closing more difficult and cost the final price. From a health standpoint ignoring it is neutral, it's not going to grind itself into dust and suffocate you.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Please don't recommend that people throw asbestos (or any dangerous materials) out with regular trash. It puts people's health in danger further down the garbage disposal chain.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Please don't recommend that people throw asbestos (or any dangerous materials) out with regular trash. It puts people's health in danger further down the garbage disposal chain.

Don't put asbestos down the garbage disposal, either

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Please eat some asbestos

Shut up Meg posted:

Don't put asbestos down the garbage disposal, either
Oh wait never mind

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

sneakyfrog posted:

or lick it

Splicer posted:

Please eat some asbestos

Almost certainly harmless!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

stuxracer posted:

Check your local laws before you do that - and where to dispose of properly. It doesn’t look like a lot but for instance if it’s more than 10 feet of it we need permits and a license to do removal.

Or you can just remove ten feet at a time. :buddy:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Wet the gently caress out of it.

Spray it while you remove it.

Double bag it.

Dig a hole.

Throw it in the hole, plant a tree above it.

Laugh maniacally because your neighbors don’t know they live next to the evil Captain Asbestos Tree.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Splicer posted:

Please eat some asbestos

You think I would live in this house if I hadn’t tried a little of everything in it??

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

ya we have enough crappy construction tales without people deciding they're experienced in asbestos removal

it doesn't cost as much as you'd expect, even the proper licensed removal for bigger jobs. encapsulation is only for objects you'd never touch or are planning to deal with as part of a bigger project later

either way unless you're removing it there'll be periodic inspections. a survey with lab samples is your best bet. if it's the uk 99% of the time it'll be chrysotile anyway

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I was clearing some pictures off of my phone and I found this shot I took of a house in my neighborhood.

I don't think there's a single tread that is the same height as the others, they are a nightmare. Sorry for the potato quality, but they don't get any better the closer you get to the door.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AFewBricksShy posted:

I was clearing some pictures off of my phone and I found this shot I took of a house in my neighborhood.

I don't think there's a single tread that is the same height as the others, they are a nightmare. Sorry for the potato quality, but they don't get any better the closer you get to the door.

Is that cut stone or concrete?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

Is Tim Burton doing a Home Alone remake?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Proteus Jones posted:

Is that cut stone or concrete?

Concrete. I think that makes it about 10x worse because someone had to form those steps up and then pour. Then they stepped back and said "that looks about right", and then I'm assuming they walked into a tree because they had lost their ability to see 3 years earlier.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 29, 2019

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I was going to say it looks like they stopped for a beer beaten each step, but even the first few aren't even. I guess they pre-gamed the project.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
If you swallow asbestos it can't get into your lungs, think about it

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

That is someone doing the eyeball test without actually measuring the slope there. That's a cool looking yard and they ruined that.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I am not sure if this is crappy construction , but the building I am in has a weirdly shaped elevator. Instead of being a rectangle it's kind of an uneven trapezoid so two of the corners are out of square. I guess it has passed inspection sometime in the 50 years since it was built, but I have never seen anything like it and it's kind of unnerving.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ashcans posted:

I am not sure if this is crappy construction , but the building I am in has a weirdly shaped elevator. Instead of being a rectangle it's kind of an uneven trapezoid so two of the corners are out of square. I guess it has passed inspection sometime in the 50 years since it was built, but I have never seen anything like it and it's kind of unnerving.

The Illuminati is like “get on my level”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCo4CUGNgcY&t=40s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brA2cEkw1hs&t=54s

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Dang, those are weird. I don't know why I assumed that elevators needed to be symmetrical, but you get so used to them that an off-shape one really throws you.

Related, the subculture of filming elevator rides on youtube is such a specific and odd niche, I have to imagine all those dudes thought they were the only ones really interested in the ascent speed of the Otis 1978 Classic until the internet proliferated to put them all in touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Women appreciate a good triangular elevator, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cu5raRiGqs