Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Saturn V actually got news coverage on non-lego oriented sites so yeah it had buzz.

The Mustang did too but didn't seem to be hard to get early on. The ways of lego are mysterious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Cojawfee posted:

I think Saturn V was just so hyped because rockets, science, and it being a great deal for lots of peieces.

Which this set hits on the first two points. I do wish the price was like $20-30 lower.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

God drat it now you guys are making me want to get the Saturn V along with the Moon Lander tomorrow.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People like Mustangs, sure, but there are still lots of people who prefer Camaros, or Challengers, or a Japanese or German car. There is no competition for Saturn V. Everyone loves it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

God drat it now you guys are making me want to get the Saturn V along with the Moon Lander tomorrow.

Do it. I just bought a second Saturn V.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I've had the new ADP Saloon built for a week or so now, and it's on display on my shelf next to my own old saloon MOC. I felt like showing mine off since it actually has a ton of features in common with the new ADP one - not too surprising, because they both lean heavily on generic saloon tropes, but still!

This is my saloon/hotel MOC, which I built 9 years ago and have not updated (except for the bottle pieces, which were 1 x 1 cones before; and the 5 cent coin on the bar counter, which was an old chrome gold coin before). I think it still holds up pretty decently. And here are a series of features that both of our builds have in common:

1. Empty bottles outside in a 3 x 4 crate

2. Hitching post and trough

3. Swinging shutter doors, angled 45 degrees

4. Bar shelves with bottles and bartop

5. Upright piano with pedals and bench

6. Dark red drapes on upstairs windows

7. Chest of drawers upstairs

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That's so much detail in such a small package, it's great.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

xzzy posted:

Saturn V actually got news coverage on non-lego oriented sites so yeah it had buzz.

The Mustang did too but didn't seem to be hard to get early on. The ways of lego are mysterious.

The biggest difference between the launch of the Saturn V and the other sets is that the Saturn V was announced in late April and didn't release til June.

The Mustang and the Apollo 11 lander each were announced about a week before release but the Saturn V had more than a month of hype.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Saturn V is the only set that I don't have on display with the rest of my Lego in my office.

It's on display on my "awesome space poo poo" shelf in our bedroom, along with my Apollo Mission patch collection, astrophotography coffee table book and a small collection of autographed astronaut books and official headshots.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My house was built around the Saturn V.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Being from a country without official stores: Can I expect the Moon Lander to be on sale in the webshop tomorrow?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Mars Rover was hard to get. Wall-E was kind of a pain because it had those replacement kits.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Saturn V is boring and I don't get why everyone loves it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Chairchucker posted:

Mods?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I agree tbh. It’s well done but it’s still just a big tube.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It looks better in person. It also doesn't really look like a Lego set due to all the smooth surfaces.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The snot is the big draw. People see it and go check it out and are all "woah that's lego??"

Certainly not a great enough selling point for people that don't care about space stuff, but I love space poo poo so it was a no brainer. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chairchucker posted:

As someone who has built two, it's a joy to build and you're a stick in the mud

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
The only bad thing about the Saturn V set is finding a place to display it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

MaliciousOnion posted:

The only bad thing about the Saturn V set is finding a place to display it.

Look at this guy with his twin-sized bed.

I mean, we all sleep next to ours, right?

Guys?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Speaking of which, the Apollo Lander is available right now: https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/NASA-Apollo-11-Lunar-Lander-10266

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

xzzy posted:

My house was built around the Saturn V.

Not that this is a competition or anything, but MY house was built around the Saturn V..

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Habibi posted:

Not that this is a competition or anything, but MY house was built around the Saturn V..

sorry bud, it IS a competition and an alcove trumps a shelf :colbert:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the central focus of that wall is incorrectly around the tv

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

the central focus of that wall is incorrectly around the tv

The black square mandates that the rocket be in the middle and the TV up in the corner.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Fatkraken posted:

sorry bud, it IS a competition and an alcove trumps a shelf :colbert:

Fah. I can put an alcove in a bathroom. It means nothing. Nothing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm looking at the alcove picture.

The USA USA USA on the rocket makes me think you should hollow out the center of the rocket and mount the Statue of Liberty in there. Looks like it'll fit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wall-E looks so sad

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I think a big draw of the Saturn V is that it reminds peolple of going to air & space museums as kids and seeing those scale models of rocket types (sometimes displayed in a way to convey the size differences of the real things) and wanting one for their bedroom. And now you finally can. At least that's part of why I bought it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Not only does the Saturn V look great on display, but the staging and stands are great, the little splashdown and LEM microbuilds are fantastic, and how can anyone not appreciate a 3.5+ ft tall LEGO build?

I mean, I fully admit to being biased since I live down the road from JSC, knew astronauts growing up, and went to shuttle launches all the time as a kid, but it’s a legitimately great set.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's a big tube.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Habibi posted:

What even is this room? Why is the fireplace in the corner like that? Is it a very skinny room, or did you divide up a bigger room into two?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chairchucker posted:

It's a big tube.

Your face is a big tube.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chairchucker posted:

It's a big tube.
have you actually built it?

this phone in my hand? just a rectangle. your face? a square, because you're a BLOCKHEAD gottem

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

When you think about it, we're all just big tubes, mouth to anus. Kissing is making an anus-to-anus tube.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If you really want to be :smith: about space-themed sets that *should* exist but don't:

That is/was/might still be on display at the Perot Museum in Dallas.

And more pictures of the same build from the builder: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tamumick/albums/72157630522140286

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 1, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Lunar Lander is still available, so I'm just gonna wait until the 5th and get that rocket thing as well.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Taeke posted:

When you think about it, we're all just big tubes, mouth to anus. Kissing is making an anus-to-anus tube.

Oh yeah, this is the good stuff. Tell us more.

Please.

I'm close.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
If you get it in store, there's a VIP promotion to get a mission patch.

https://imgur.com/a/fEFzdQC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's online as well.