Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dean of Swing posted:

Your mom walking out the Golden Corral.

Rekt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

davebo posted:

I finally got around to trying that veggie burger at Burger King. Just tastes like a Morningstar patty with a bunch of mayo and ketchup on it. So, nice to not eat meat while on the go but typical fast food junk.

That's the original. The new one is Impossible's product and is entirely different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng4C2HMH664

I did get the original (sans the mayo) when I was on the road and there was no alternative, and you described it perfectly.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Shima Honnou posted:

It's not that rice is inherently bad, it's that the common method of planting and growing it in flooded fields loving sucks poo poo. Even just not keeping the fields flooded as long would go a long way to eliminating that source of methane, and just growing it by seed would go even further.

You can drip-irrigate rice. The Netafilm people have been demoing this but few takers. Guess why?

(because of the 1800's water-rights laws in California don't make it worthwhile to invest in drip irrigating the rice crops, they aren't paying for the water).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I've decided the best thing I can do about this issue, besides the personal and political stuff (bike commuting, vegan, donating what I can to candidates who get it) is to apply my game design experience to a climate-apocalypse game (there are enough zombie games anyway). So I am thinking of 2056 for the date and assuming the following worst-case feedback mechanisms:

1. Wildfires negating carbon reduction efforts.

2. Permafrost releasing CO2/methane.

3. Reduced albedo due to ice pack loss.

4. etc.

So I'm thinking of what hazards would be in force in most of the USA by 2056.

1. Massive storms (hurricanes, tornados).

2. Mosquito-based tropical diseases.

3. Food supply issues.

4. Temps approaching the 94ºF wet-bulb die-offs.

5. Societal collapse, no power grid, transportation systems broken. Sort of like "The Road" but without the cannibalism.

Anything else?

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

VideoGameVet posted:

I've decided the best thing I can do about this issue, besides the personal and political stuff (bike commuting, vegan, donating what I can to candidates who get it) is to apply my game design experience to a climate-apocalypse game (there are enough zombie games anyway). So I am thinking of 2056 for the date and assuming the following worst-case feedback mechanisms:

4. etc.

3. Food supply issues.

5. Societal collapse, no power grid, transportation systems broken. Sort of like "The Road" but without the cannibalism.

Anything else?

If this was an FPS RPG like Fallout: New Vegas, I'd play the hell out of it. Especially if the player is required to make difficult moral decisions. Too often, the post-apocalypse genre encourages players to become remorseless killers, but it's far more interesting to examine "how is it possible to be a good person when times are so desperate?" If the goal is not to slay enemies, but to save the most amount of lives--characters you can talk to and grow attached to--then it becomes more interesting.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Escape Addict posted:

If this was an FPS RPG like Fallout: New Vegas, I'd play the hell out of it. Especially if the player is required to make difficult moral decisions. Too often, the post-apocalypse genre encourages players to become remorseless killers, but it's far more interesting to examine "how is it possible to be a good person when times are so desperate?" If the goal is not to slay enemies, but to save the most amount of lives--characters you can talk to and grow attached to--then it becomes more interesting.

If I had >$100m (not even remotely possible) I'd do a "Last Of Us" style game.

Instead, I'm thinking of climate-refugee resource management game with characters providing the story as you try to get to a more livable location. Something I can do on my own.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
King of Dragon Pass meets Frostpunk. Nice.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

VideoGameVet posted:

4. etc.

3. Food supply issues.

Anything else?

Massive influx of climate refugees from the south
War with Canada over arable land/water rights

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Shima Honnou posted:

Please refer to CO2 by its official name, Freedom Molecules, or the informal name, freedom gas.

Also, higher CO2 is bad for plants too, the more of it the less efficiently the plants can suck it, it's been found.

Freedom gas is natural gas (the fuel), but still incredibly dumb.

And if the former green peace idiot (Patrick Moore) is any example of what “CO2 is good actually” idiots think, just watch his interview on Glyphosate. He’s just so committed to his viewpoint that he completely agrees to drink some. He finally just walks away after realizing what he’s done. But he’ll say anything that he feels will work for his narrative.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

A new report from a former Australian defense chief and royal navy commander states that civilization could collapse by 2050. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...e=vicetwitterus

Hopefully, he just wants to live out his Mad Max fantasy. :smithicide:

https://twitter.com/kulmweatherman/status/1132991763164139521

Tekne fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 4, 2019

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Tekne posted:

A new report from a former Australian defense chief and royal navy commander states that civilization could collapse by 2050. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...e=vicetwitterus

[/quote]
I printed out and read the paper while on work break.
Basically it assumes we'll politely ignore calls for ww2esque mobilization by 2030. so the temperature will be at 1.6 in 2030. Which tracks. But that will domino because 1.6 in 2030 will mean a lock in for 2.6(actually 3 because albedo) in 2050. at which point we are spiraling fast towards deathydeath.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Tekne posted:

Y'know, I think I'm gonna leave my fam a couple hundred bucks worth of rice, beans, lentils and flour before I leave for the summer. Maybe 2019 really is the year agriculture stumbles. :thunk:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

VideoGameVet posted:

4. etc.

3. Food supply issues.

Anything else?

I like it!

Some extra items:
  • This article reviews current geographic changes, including mention of direction and speed you can extrapolate from.
  • Another mechanism and hazard: +4.5C may trigger an additional 8C via stratocumulus cloud breakup. If this bears out, it's Doomsday.
  • Society could collapse into a hard nugget of oligarchs-turned-overlords/warlords and what systems they directly support. Luxury Compound meets Enclave Oil Rig.
  • Could use North Korea as a model for a failed/failing society. Their economy failed then stayed that way. Half the population is rural, and there's hunter-gathering, informal markets (#1, #2) and you're still at risk of your entire family tree being disappeared if you're noticed stepping out of line.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Accretionist posted:

I like it!

Some extra items:
  • This article reviews current geographic changes, including mention of direction and speed you can extrapolate from.
  • Another mechanism and hazard: +4.5C may trigger an additional 8C via stratocumulus cloud breakup. If this bears out, it's Doomsday.
  • Society could collapse into a hard nugget of oligarchs-turned-overlords/warlords and what systems they directly support. Luxury Compound meets Enclave Oil Rig.
  • Could use North Korea as a model for a failed/failing society. Their economy failed then stayed that way. Half the population is rural, and there's hunter-gathering, informal markets (#1, #2) and you're still at risk of your entire family tree being disappeared if you're noticed stepping out of line.

Yes, good items. Thank you.

Talked to my wife about this, going to make the game free (no in-app crap either) and just put in stuff so people can contribute to 350.org, etc. Make it simple, make it compelling.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Rime posted:

Y'know, I think I'm gonna leave my fam a couple hundred bucks worth of rice, beans, lentils and flour before I leave for the summer. Maybe 2019 really is the year agriculture stumbles. :thunk:

This is increasingly seeming to be true to me.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What is a good low carbon balanced meal I can make easily at home? I'd like to start moving my diet in that direction but I don't know how to cook anything vegan that isn't going to just be bread and rice carb bullshit.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Salt Fish posted:

What is a good low carbon balanced meal I can make easily at home? I'd like to start moving my diet in that direction but I don't know how to cook anything vegan that isn't going to just be bread and rice carb bullshit.

Long pork.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
how about planting caches of native fruit and nut trees palatable to humans somewhere deep in the woods nobody else knows about

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
tofuuuuuuuuu

e.okay specifically cut it out of the package, pour soy sauce on it, eat it raw

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

nankeen posted:

how about planting caches of native fruit and nut trees palatable to humans somewhere deep in the woods nobody else knows about

Not just fruit and nut, grab a foraging guide relevant for the area and try and plant anything edible that has even a remote chance of survival.

Plant everything everywhere. Collect seeds. Repeat.

Also eat the rich, which may be unpalatable on it's own, so growing chillies for some hot sauces might be a idea

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

yaffle posted:

Massive influx of climate refugees from the south
War with Canada over arable land/water rights

War with canada isnt a war

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VideoGameVet posted:

A more accessible PvP battle arena game set in locales where the environment can kill you just as easily as the other players would be interesting. I know niche :smith: games LIKE that already exist (ex: Stalker, Fear the Wolves), but I feel like if you made a game where what's coming to kill you isn't ~nebulous toxic green gas~ or a 'force field' but rather things like lethal hail, deadly winds blowing debris, deadly algal blooms on lakes and the tides at beaches, a complete lack of water amidst stupidly high temperatures, or even a literal wildfire closing in around you...and even the winner just gets a few extra points for being the last alive before they're consumed rescued by a Mad Max gyrocopter. :toot:

"Oh poo poo, it's the desert level - which aquifer are we dropping nearest to to stock up before the first Tmax cycle?"

"gently caress, it's the dust bowl level - everyone land in [town] so we can have shelter from the first few haboobs." "Heh, you said boo..." ":fuckoff:"

"Dammit, I fuckin' hate 'Tornado Alley.' Everyone collect as much poo poo for hail armor as you can and find the houses with basements and shelters. Hopefully we don't get many EF5s."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 4, 2019

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

VideoGameVet posted:

4. etc.

3. Food supply issues.

Anything else?

If you choose to go the 3D route, I'm in. I've got 15 years experience, lots of shipped titles, all the platform and engine experience, etc. http://www.poopinmymouth.com if you wanna peep.

I think working on a CC interactive experience would be a great use of my time. My husband is an Android programmer with Unity experience, as well.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 4, 2019

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Salt Fish posted:

#1 do you have a car? if so, ignore your diet, solve for your car first. nothing you do with your diet will matter at all compared to a single daily drive.
#2 same for flying and your home utilities bill
#3 if you're still here, diet is really easy: just keep red meat below 1/2lbs per week. thats it. that single factor alone will put you on par with the average "developing country" person

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

If you choose to go the 3D route, I'm in. I've got 15 years experience, lots of shipped titles, all the platform and engine experience, etc. https://www.poopinmymouth.com if you wanna peep.

I think working on a CC interactive experience would be a great use of my time. My husband is an Android programmer with Unity experience, as well.

Your SSL cert is hosed, just a heads up.

code:

[url]www.poopinmymouth.com[/url] uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for the following names: *.web-hosting.com, web-hosting.com Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

thewalk posted:

War with canada isnt a war

Alberta would welcome you as liberators.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Tekne posted:

The "What Lies Beneath" report by the same group is really excellent and sums up my perspective on the actual risks and what is going on - https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/148cb0_a0d7c18a1bf64e698a9c8c8f18a42889.pdf. It has lots of great specifics and links to other papers. I recommend reading the entire thing, but just to quote a bit from the section on risks, and then the Summary:

quote:

Rapid reduction of carbon emissions is still excluded from consideration by policymakers because it is deemed to be too economically dislocating. The fact that the present political path of 3°C or more of warming would result in a world overwhelmed by extreme climate impacts, leading to outright chaos, is avoided. The dominant neo-liberal framing of progress, through globalisation and deregulation, suppresses regulatory action which would address the real climate challenge because it undermines the prevailing political–economic orthodoxy. Discussion around policy choices gives primary emphasis to the role of markets. The commodification of carbon pollution for the purposes of market trading, and the virtue of carbon pricing, are emphasised by policymakers as the most desirable method for achieving decarbonisation. However, these discussions have become unrealistic. They accept the continuing expansion of fossil fuels in the first half of the 21st century, eventually counteracted by massive expansion of negative emission technologies, such as carbon capture and storage and BECCS — which do not even exist at scale — in the second half of the century to draw down excess carbon from the atmosphere. But, by that time it will be too late to prevent irreversible, catastrophic climate impacts. In so doing, policymakers are complicit today in destroying the very conditions which make human life possible. There is no greater crime against humanity.

quote:

Human-induced climate change is an existential risk to human civilisation: an adverse outcome that will either annihilate intelligent life or permanently and drastically curtail its potential, unless carbon emissions are rapidly reduced. Special precautions that go well beyond conventional risk management practice are required if the increased likelihood of very large climate impacts — known as “fat tails” — are to be adequately dealt with. The potential consequences of these lower-probability, but higher-impact, events would be devastating for human societies. The bulk of climate research has tended to underplay these risks, and exhibited a preference for conservative projections and scholarly reticence, although increasing numbers of scientists have spoken out in recent years on the dangers of such an approach. Climate policymaking and the public narrative are significantly informed by the important work of the IPCC. However, IPCC reports also tend toward reticence and caution, erring on the side of “least drama”, and downplaying the more extreme and more damaging outcomes. Whilst this has been understandable historically, given the pressure exerted upon the IPCC by political and vested interests, it is now becoming dangerously misleading with the acceleration of climate impacts globally. What were lower probability, higher-impact events are now becoming more likely.

This is a particular concern with potential climatic tipping points — passing critical thresholds which result in step changes in the climate system — such as the polar ice sheets (and hence sea levels), and permafrost and other carbon stores, where the impacts of global warming are non-linear and difficult to model with current scientific knowledge. However the extreme risks to humanity, which these tipping points represent, justify strong precautionary management. Under-reporting on these issues is irresponsible, contributing to the failure of imagination that is occurring today in our understanding of, and response to, climate change. If climate policymaking is to be soundly based, a reframing of scientific research within an existential risk-management framework is now urgently required. This must be taken up not just in the work of the IPCC, but also in the UNFCCC negotiations if we are to address the real climate challenge.

Current processes will not deliver either the speed or the scale of change required.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 4, 2019

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Mozi posted:

The "What Lies Beneath" report by the same group is really excellent and sums up my perspective on the actual risks and what is going on - https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/148cb0_a0d7c18a1bf64e698a9c8c8f18a42889.pdf. It has lots of great specifics and links to other papers. I recommend reading the entire thing, but just to quote a bit from the section on risks, and then the Summary:

Your link is broken for me, do you have another way to see that paper?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Griffen posted:

Sorry, you can get it here: https://www.breakthroughonline.org.au/publications

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Griffen posted:

This one should work.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

Black Beans and brown Rice is quite good

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

poopinmymouth posted:

If you choose to go the 3D route, I'm in. I've got 15 years experience, lots of shipped titles, all the platform and engine experience, etc. https://www.poopinmymouth.com if you wanna peep.

Browser won’t let me go there due to certificate issues. Will PM.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the new links guys, I'm gonna give this a read during my lunch break.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Looking at options to bike more than drive, my wife’s PHEV has ran for the past year at about 80% of miles in EV mode and only the odd errand kicks the engine on. Already drastically cut back on red meat. Would like solar panels to come down in price I guess. Eat the rich is always the correct policy.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Last-Ditch Climate Change Report Provides Locations Of Weapons, Current Whereabouts Of Oil Executives

quote:

NEW YORK—In a desperate, perhaps final attempt to prevent the earth’s temperatures from rising to catastrophic levels, a last-ditch climate change report issued Tuesday by the U.N. includes nothing more than the whereabouts of top oil executives and directions to secret weapons caches. “For decades, we have failed in our efforts to spur action by describing in rigorous scientific detail the ways in which global warming will cause widespread misery for billions of innocent people, and so this time we have taken a different approach,” read the report, a 500-page directory that simply lists the names and addresses of key players in the fossil fuel industry, along with the precise coordinates of several bunkers containing extensive stockpiles of firearms without serial numbers. “We have provided the security codes necessary to bypass the gates of each oil executive’s mansion so that their homes may be entered at night and they may be murdered in their sleep. An appendix is included with instructions on how to bash in a skull with a hammer if the bullets run out. It may not seem like a lot on its own, but if everyone comes together and does their part, we can make a tremendous difference.” At press time, sources confirmed no one had bothered to read the report.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Dameius posted:

Your SSL cert is hosed, just a heads up.

code:
[url]http://www.poopinmymouth.com[/url] uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for the following names: *.web-hosting.com, web-hosting.com Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

VideoGameVet posted:

Browser won’t let me go there due to certificate issues. Will PM.

sorry about that, hubby did the website redesign and I have never dealt with certificates before. I edited so it should work. http://www.poopinmymouth.com

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

You almost tricked me with that one.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

At press time, sources confirmed no one had bothered to read the report.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

sorry about that, hubby did the website redesign and I have never dealt with certificates before. I edited so it should work. http://www.poopinmymouth.com

You can pm about web hosting stuff like that and I can help you get it figured out if you don't know how to fix it/move forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Tekne posted:

Top response over in r/worldnews:

quote:

Clickbait doomsday articles like these are one of the reasons why there are so many climate skeptics. I don't like it, and I'm a professional scientist who believes in climate change. Anybody that thinks that human civilization will be over in 30 years needs a serious reality check. We are the smartest, most adaptable, and most mobile species in history. We live at all elevations, latitudes (except Antarctica), and weather from deserts to alpine areas to sweltering jungles. Yes, we can and will seriously destroy the ecology of the Earth and it's a huge deal. However, people and their technology and ecosystem engineering and civilization and advanced agricultural practices will be one of the absolute last things to disappear. Our extinction should not be the primary reason why we combat climate change, it's everything else.

What if, like, we're not the crew of the Enterprise, but instead the cautionary-tale society they encounter in a C-tier bottle episode?

Insanite fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 5, 2019