Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Snow Cone Capone posted:

What do you think?

I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hogge Wild posted:

I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

I am legitimately unable to tell truth or troll from you anymore, but just in case, it is because it is sad at the end

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Just gonna leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boz7rHYLj6s

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lmao that's fantastic

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That chorus sucks.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

precision posted:

Lmao that's fantastic

Gaiman at 0:58

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

That chorus sucks.

*obedient sniffing*

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So Good Omens was Good TV, I liked almost all of it and then only thing I didn't really love is some of the actors playing the 4 horsemen. I can definitely see myself rewatching this.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

BurgerQuest posted:

So Good Omens was Good TV, I liked almost all of it and then only thing I didn't really love is some of the actors playing the 4 horsemen. I can definitely see myself rewatching this.

Finished through episode 5 last night and yes, it's been very enjoyable watching this one come to life. My wife is a huge David Tennant fangirl so she's loving watching him Tennant it up as Crowley, even without being familiar with the book. (I warned her about the maggots as that's a personal squick so she closed her eyes for that part.) We've recently been watching Hogfather and The Color of Magic on streaming when licensing and availability allowed, and Good Omens has been a very nice step up in quality.

I wish Pratchett himself could have seen it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's been hilarious watching Gaiman dunk on racists over twitter when they get freaked out over Adam and Eve being black

We binged the whole thing friday night. It hits all the right notes. I feel bad for the people who are, out of genuine ignorance, already begging for a season 2.

Tennant gets the attention but really the whole cast is just as good, it's just that Tennant's character has more room.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's been hilarious watching Gaiman dunk on racists over twitter when they get freaked out over Adam and Eve being black

We binged the whole thing friday night. It hits all the right notes. I feel bad for the people who are, out of genuine ignorance, already begging for a season 2.

The book did leave an ambiguous sequel hook with the Further Prophecies, mind you. The show sort of forestalled it by having Newt and Anathema burn the front page, but would Agnes have bothered to leave it (and pay a florin for delivery) if nobody was going to read it?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It doesn't help that the show is listed on prime as "good omens season 1".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I take back everything I said about Sheen not being a good fit, he was just as good as Tennant. Really the whole thing was top to bottom great.

I got a laugh out of who played Satan, I would never have guessed without Amazons X Ray thing.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Personally I'd be happy with season 2 just being entirely composed of their adventures through time like the first part of ep3. Screw a higher level story arc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

The book did leave an ambiguous sequel hook with the Further Prophecies, mind you. The show sort of forestalled it by having Newt and Anathema burn the front page, but would Agnes have bothered to leave it (and pay a florin for delivery) if nobody was going to read it?

Or maybe a second copy shows up right after

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

How do we know it wasn’t just a bunch of blank pages. :)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Anathema's decision to burn it was important to her as a person, so of course Agnes would have sent it. And yeah, it was totally empty, because there was no point in actually writing it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Still laughing at Beelzebub's little fly hat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tooterfish posted:

Still laughing at Beelzebub's little fly hat.

That was such a great touch :3:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rand Brittain posted:

Anathema's decision to burn it was important to her as a person, so of course Agnes would have sent it. And yeah, it was totally empty, because there was no point in actually writing it.
If they wanted to open it to a page to make sure it was legit, that page would have had text! (just like how picking an index card at random without picking them all up off the car floor would have worked just as well, Newt was not wrong)

But since they didn't, it was blank.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Looks like there a film verion of amazing Maurice on its way
https://io9.gizmodo.com/terry-pratchetts-first-discworld-book-for-kids-is-being-1835409435

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Awesome.

Is there a good hardcover version of Maurice now or in the future? I have the Discworld Collector’s Library, and the gift set of the Tiffany books that are the same size, but there are a few books left out of that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Don't get your hopes up. Tiffany Aching, The Watch and an adaption of Unseen Academicals has also been on it's way for a while now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhazred posted:

Don't get your hopes up. Tiffany Aching, The Watch and an adaption of Unseen Academicals has also been on it's way for a while now.

Unseen Academicals got permanently shelved.

E: and so did Paul Darrow, who for me will always be the definitive Sam Vimes.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 14, 2019

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Haven't read the thread, but I assume its all a discussion about how much of a travesty it is that there weren't a series of buddy cop books about Cuddy and Detritus. If not, it should be about that from now on. Also, what happened to the Watch series. Did it die on the vine?

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Nuclear War posted:

Haven't read the thread, but I assume its all a discussion about how much of a travesty it is that there weren't a series of buddy cop books about Cuddy and Detritus. If not, it should be about that from now on. Also, what happened to the Watch series. Did it die on the vine?

Last October BBC America announced that they had ordered 8 episodes. They didn’t say when it would air, and there hasn’t been anything since, as far as I know.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Rhianna would have probably said if it got shelved, maybe they wanted room to let Good Omens breathe first

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ron Perlman should play Vetinari. "Characters must look like stereotypes" is my least favourite Pratchett thing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

precision posted:

Rhianna would have probably said if it got shelved, maybe they wanted room to let Good Omens breathe first

It took me a minute to realize that's Terry's daughter's name, and it didn't mean Rihanna the singer was an enormous Pratchett fan with inside sources.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have to say, his daughter is doing a better job than PKD's kids at ensuring his name gets put on good projects. Radio Free Albemuth was rather bad, despite also being largely faithful to the source.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
They weren't really writers themselves, were they? She's skilled and successful in her own right, so it follows that she has actual taste.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jedit posted:

E: and so did Paul Darrow, who for me will always be the definitive Sam Vimes.

Oh wow, I completely forgot I'd seen him in that until just now.

Honestly, all the bumf they've said about the Watch series sounds like the worst kind of marketing blurb by people who don't understand it in any way. 'Punk rock thriller' 'startlingly re-imagined'. :cripes:

I'm calling that it's going to look like present day London with trolls and the like thrown in.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

The_Doctor posted:

Oh wow, I completely forgot I'd seen him in that until just now.

Honestly, all the bumf they've said about the Watch series sounds like the worst kind of marketing blurb by people who don't understand it in any way. 'Punk rock thriller' 'startlingly re-imagined'. :cripes:

I'm calling that it's going to look like present day London with trolls and the like thrown in.

tbh that link sounds just like Bright.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Checking in to be the guy who did not like the screen adaptation of Good Omens, but loved the book.

Too forced, too woke, too little actual accurate translation of what made it funny. It really felt lacking.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Hasselblad posted:

Checking in to be the guy who did not like the screen adaptation of Good Omens, but loved the book.

Too forced, too woke, too little actual accurate translation of what made it funny. It really felt lacking.

What was too woke about it, are you upset about a female god or some poo poo?

If you want to complain about something, the horsemen were pretty disappointing. Death always sucks because book Death is unfilmable (hopefully in the same way fear and loathing was) and the others were too subdued. And like all the Pratchett films it was sooort of stilted.

Still really good though, the two main actors were great.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

hey everybody, get a load of this chucklefuck :cawg:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I watched the first episode and it looks like they updated it to the present day. That’s a bummer to me, the 80s setting was part of the joke, and now we won’t get the “I bet it needs a lot of wire” line. :eng99:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That would've cost quite a lot, and some of the CGI was already ropy enough as it is.

Besides, the book isn't set in the 80s, it's set in the present day. The present day just happened to be in the 80s back then.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Do you imagine anyone who did not read the book got any humor from the Bentley only playing Queen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

HIJK posted:

I watched the first episode and it looks like they updated it to the present day. That’s a bummer to me, the 80s setting was part of the joke, and now we won’t get the “I bet it needs a lot of wire” line. :eng99:
The thing is, it takes place in the present day, but they didn't change any of the details that firmly tie it to 1990, except Crowley's got CDs in his car now instead of tapes.

I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, mainly for that, and for the overbearing narration that completely ignores how this is a TV show and you can just show things to the audience. Tennant and Sheen are very good though, and so are Newt/Shadwell/Madame Tracy from what little I've seen.