Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If you want to count them, the Kiryuu sisters didn’t join up with Splash Star until the early 40’s and Regina only became a full member of DokiDoki in the last episode or two. There was also Cure Pekorin and Royal Candy who didn’t appear until near the end of their respective shows.

As mentioned, if you count both seasons of Yes 5 together than Milk probably took the longest, otherwise that particular honor goes to Muse who didn’t formally join until episode 36 (and Moonlight is in second place taking 32 episodes to make her proper return).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You could also count Mofurun.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cure Mofurun still gets done dirty due to being a movie Cure

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Cure Mofurun still gets done dirty due to being a movie Cure

She did get a cameo in the big Hugtto crossover a little while back at least (also I think I heard somewhere about there being some kind of rights issue involved with the Maho Girls movie and as a result Toei doesn’t fully own the character).

Royal Candy also popped up during that episode along with Cure Pekorin, the Kiryuus (in their “Cure” outfits no less), Regina, Jonathan, Cure Echo, the Hawaiian duo from Happiness Charge, and possibly more I’m forgetting.

Also some new episode titles have been released and I was right, Cure Cosmo will be making her official debut in episode 20.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 30, 2019

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Pikestaff posted:

Just out of curiosity, which Cure took the longest to join the main team? Muse definitely took a good long while. I think Moonlight did too if I'm remembering correctly.

The longest/ in the same season, probably cure flower.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In terms of latecomers, breaking it down into the three main categories heroines in this series generally fall into I think it goes:

Core Team: Cure Muse, Episode 36. Though as mentioned if you count both seasons of Yes 5 together then it’s Milky Rose who appears in Episode 10 of GoGo (which would be Episode 59 overall).

Unofficial Precure (that is, those designated as Cures but who aren’t core members of their respective teams, in terms of crossover material at least): Cure Flower, Episode 44

Cure-like Ally: A tie between Regina (Episode 47 of 49) and Royal Candy (Episode 46 of 48).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 2, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Yeah, I was curious about the Core Team (the ones you'd see in the mobile game, for example), while treating the sequel seasons separately (Shiny Luminous and Milky Rose) - my hunch was that Muse would be the winner and it looks like that was an accurate assessment. Thanks for the breakdown, it's interesting to see.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

Yeah, I was curious about the Core Team (the ones you'd see in the mobile game, for example), while treating the sequel seasons separately (Shiny Luminous and Milky Rose) - my hunch was that Muse would be the winner and it looks like that was an accurate assessment. Thanks for the breakdown, it's interesting to see.

On another note, Luminous and Rose are kind of a weird exception to the general rule. They were not Cures in their respective seasons but still played a major role and were part of the merchandising for those shows so they kind of got grandfathered in once All Stars started becoming a thing.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 30, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not that it wasn't already obvious but Toei's tweet revealing the seiyuu for Cure Cosmo's 100% confirms it's Blue Cat

https://twitter.com/toeianime_info/status/1134205168587698176

Edit: Wonder if it's gonna end up like Cure Amour/Macherie where the journey is where the twists will be not who ends up as the Cure

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Not that it wasn't already obvious but Toei's tweet revealing the seiyuu for Cure Cosmo's 100% confirms it's Blue Cat

https://twitter.com/toeianime_info/status/1134205168587698176

Edit: Wonder if it's gonna end up like Cure Amour/Macherie where the journey is where the twists will be not who ends up as the Cure

Cosmo literally debuts 3 episodes from now so most likely, yeah .

However, there have been some scans recently showing a red ink bottle in addition to the other 5 main colors (pink, green, yellow, purple, blue) which means it’s possible we’re getting a sixth Cure at some point (I’m still holding out hope for Sakurako personally).

I’m also not sure how I feel about them revealing the truth regarding Bakenyan already. I don’t have a huge problem with the reveal itself but it just feels a little too soon to me.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 31, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Director of Star Twinkle Movie announced and key visual released

https://twitter.com/comic_natalie/status/1134972976229543937

It's Tanaka god bless and that key Visual looks amazing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wow, hope the movie itself looks that good (speaking of movies, is Miracle Universe out on DVD yet?)

Anyway, Star Twinkle 18: This week Hikaru gets her first solo focus in a long time. She's got a good relationship with her mom, who's hard at work making manga, and episodes about the creative arts will always be one of my favorite things. Turns out Hikaru was a bit of an outcast as a kid because of her space obsession, but not to the level of Hana last year.

It was a good episode, though it did connect things back to Mao with a scene at the end, showing her finding another Pen. This alternating plot-character-plot-character stretch is working out really well. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the art used in this episode is actual concept art for the series.

Next time: The cat’s out of the bag (in more ways than one) as the girls visit Planet Rainbow

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out for Episode 18, Hikaru’s mom is great and should be in more episodes. Also while we do finally get some concrete information regarding her father (he’s away on business and they only see him once a year), it should be noted that immediately after it pans over to a family photo where the dad is purposefully obscured.

Next time, the lead up to our 5th Cure begins as we travel to (what is presumably) Blue Cat’s homeworld and learn that she’s finally gotten her hands on a Princess Pen.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 3, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hikaru's dad is wearing a shirt that looks like George's.

Please god, not again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hopefully they won’t give us another George Kurai but at this point I’m still assuming the dad’s going to turn out to be a secret villain ala HeartCatch.

Also, Terumi(Hikaru’s mom)’s artstyle reminds me a lot of Slayers (right down to one of her characters almost literally being Lina Inverse), I wonder if that was intentional.

On another note, given the amount of development/attention the writers have given her so far and the lack of much Pink focus up to this point I’m starting to suspect that Lala may be the real main character of Star Twinkle.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of that first point, here’s another theory: Hikaru is half alien on her father’s side and he had to leave Earth because those in charge found out he broke the rules.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fuwa is getting a human form in an upcoming stage show:

https://i.imgur.com/bLx5B8c.jpg

No idea if it'll show up in the series eventually but given the track record of basically every season since Go Princess I wouldn't doubt it.

Possibly related, there might also be a potential 6th Cure on the way eventually (I'm still holding out hope for Sakurako personally):

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 4, 2019

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Could we maybe agree to put leaks and potential leaks under spoiler tags, possibly with a vague description outside the tags if we’re feeling ambitious?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Caithness posted:

Could we maybe agree to put leaks and potential leaks under spoiler tags, possibly with a vague description outside the tags if we’re feeling ambitious?

I assumed it was vague enough to be ok in this case but fair enough, fixed.

On another note, have any of the Precure stage shows ever been uploaded/subbed? I also don’t really know a whole lot about how they’re structured aside from the fact that the actresses all wear these creepy looking masks for some reason.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 4, 2019

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Possible fathers for hikaru

1: Future Hikaru
2: Blue Cat
3: Yeti
4: Tardigrade

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

and that's her entire character for the rest of the show

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There was also the whole Phantom thing but yeah, Yuko is kind of a waste of a character aside from being Hime’s drug dealer friend.

As for Hikaru, in all seriousness the half alien theory actually might not be that far fetched (or at least she’s special in some way). Both her and presumably her dad are into astronomy and the supernatural, she leapt into the vacuum of space in the first episode and was presumably fine and probably more importantly, it was her power specifically that finally awakened Darknest.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they do pull something similar to what they did with Professor Sabaku in HeartCatch and have Hikaru’s father turn out to be involved with the NotRaiders somehow (generally in these shows faces are usually only obscured from photos if the writers have something to hide).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 4, 2019

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Wait, he works abroad and only shows up once a year...

Santa!?

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I actually don’t mind Yuuko as a character (or HapCha as a whole, though I do consider it one of the weaker seasons) but her song that she sang every week for a while did start to grate on me.

Larryb posted:

I assumed it was vague enough to be ok in this case but fair enough, fixed.

Thank you for your consideration.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Honestly there are things I like about HaCha such as Hime (even though she was sort of an Erika clone), one of the most versatile battle systems in the franchise, and a plot that’s interesting on paper but sort of falls apart in practice. Even then, the show doesn’t fully go off the rails until we hit the final arc.

But then you’ve got stuff like Megumi completely taking over the show by the end (to the point where her entire team gets benched for the final battle), Hime’s entire motivation for becoming a Precure being reduced down to a single still frame near the end (I don’t think her parents even get any lines in the series), Red’s sudden redemption not really feeling earned (as up to that point he was basically presented as being a Satan analogue for most of the series), the concept of the International Cures not really being used to its full potential, and Blue being one of the worst mentors ever (almost the entire conflict in the series is on some level his fault). There’s probably more I’m forgetting.

But yeah, not a terrible show but also not one I particularly feel like going back to anytime soon.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 4, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I could buy the 'Hikaru's dad was/is an alien' thing because one of the biggest themes of this season seems to be like, home? A desire to return to it, your feelings towards it, regret for having lost it. Lala, Puruns, Kappard, Blue Cat, Elena, they all fit it to certain extents. Heck even Madoka's traditional Japanese girl shtick kind of fits into it. So Hikaru being half-alien and maybe even a trip to the planet her dad was from or her dad having a similar motivation to Kappard or something, that sort of thing could tie in to it in an interesting way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It would also fit in with the whole deal with the rules regarding space travel that have been established (if you’re discovered you have to leave Earth immediately). It’s possible the higher ups made an exception in this instance and therefore Mr. Hoshina is allowed to return to Earth and visit his family once a year.

Either way, this episode basically confirms that there’s something going on with him (they would not be this vague about it otherwise), only question now is how long we have to wait before they decide to finally drop that particular bombshell.

Somewhat related, apparently there was a scrapped plot point in Maho Girls where it was going to turn out that Mirai actually had some Magical ancestry (which would explain some stuff involving her grandmother in the first few episodes) but they ultimately decided to axe it so she’d be a better contrast with Riko.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 4, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

All of Hapcha faults are due to Blue

Also Toei productions being messed up due to moving studios and over work leading to the show looking very awful at times

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Erika is the best, so being a clone of her can only be a good thing. But Hime also has shades of Tsubomi.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do wonder what they're going to do with Elena. She seems like the only Cure in the lineup who doesn't have a clear character arc and subplot mapped out for her.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Caithness posted:

Erika is the best, so being a clone of her can only be a good thing. But Hime also has shades of Tsubomi.

Erika is the best Blue if not character in general, yes (though Miki, Siren, and Aoi are up there too), just pointing out that they are somewhat similar characters (that’s not necessarily a bad thing though and like you said she kind of has elements of both).

In fact, sort of like Smile and Yes 5, certain aspects of HaCha felt like a somewhat poor attempt at recapturing the spirit of HeartCatch.

Also yes, I agree that Elena needs more development (so does Hikaru but at least in her case there seems to be some kind of plan forming at any rate) as so far this seems to generally be the Lala & Madoka Show for the most part. Like I said before, I’m starting to suspect that Lala may be the real main character of Star Twinkle.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 4, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Erika is the best Blue if not character in general, yes (though Miki, Siren, and Aoi are up there too), just pointing out that they are somewhat similar characters (that’s not necessarily a bad thing though and like you said she kind of has elements of both).

In fact, sort of like Smile and Yes 5, certain aspects of HaCha felt like a somewhat poor attempt at recapturing the spirit of HeartCatch.

Also yes, I agree that Elena needs more development (so does Hikaru but at least in her case there seems to be some kind of plan forming at any rate).

I always got the impression that they had a clear goal with Hikaru (the obvious issues with her family plus her character development from hyperactive space-case - pardon the pun - to a capable, responsible leader), but they were letting it unfold quietly in the background and letting the supporting cast take the focus until the main plot kicked in. Remember that every Lala and Madoka episode has also been, on some level, a Hikaru episode. I'm less sure they know where they're going with Elena.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, plus now with Mao/Blue Cat joining the team soon (presumably anyway, she is getting Cure powers at any rate) and maybe even a 6th member popping up eventually Elena’s development may possibly wind up getting stalled even further, which is kind of a shame.

A thing about HeartCatch I found interesting was that pretty much every member of the team is more qualified to be a leader than Tsubomi herself and I feel like so far the same can be said for this season as well (Hikaru is a lot more proactive of course but she’s also way too reckless so far, but then again that’s basically par for the course in regards to a lot of Pink Cures).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 4, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

True, plus now with Mao/Blue Cat joining the team soon (presumably anyway, she is getting Cure powers at any rate) and maybe even a 6th member popping up eventually Elena’s development may possibly wind up getting stalled even further, which is kind of a shame.

A thing about HeartCatch I found interesting was that pretty much every member of the team is more qualified to be a leader than Tsubomi herself and I feel like so far the same can be said for this season as well (Hikaru is a lot more proactive of course but she’s also way too reckless so far, but then again that’s basically par for the course in regards to a lot of Pink Cures).

I'd disagree - she's nearly always the one inspiring the team and holding it together. She's emotionally intelligent as all hell, and usually responsible for bailing her teammates out of whatever mess they've got themselves into. Other members may be better at devising tactics and the like, but she ensures there is a team to execute those tactics.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair enough, while her abilities as a Cure are somewhat inferior in comparison to her teammates Hikaru as a person is still one of my favorite characters this season which is why I want to see her get more individual focus episodes in the future, she just doesn’t really strike me as the leader type (yet anyway). But to be fair that’s mostly just as far as tactics are concerned and she’s far from the first Pink to have that particular failing.

She’s probably going to start taking center stage again once we get closer to the end and her own personal arc begins to unfold, but as long as she doesn’t take over the entire show the way Megumi did I’m personally fine with that (if you want examples of the right way to do a Pink focused show look at DokiDoki and Go Princess).

Also in the first episode Hikaru mentions the Occult as being among her interests, let’s explore that one a little further.

Off the subject, but were any of the Precure stage shows ever uploaded/subbed and if so, creepy Disneyland heads aside, are they any good?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/NARON_reika/status/1136363207625363456

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This week and next week are our mid-season Cure Arc which feels fast but someone also point out online that Blue Cat looks different from the residents of the planet and it makes me wonder if she might be half human which is interesting if Hikaru is half alien

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Star Twinkle 19: As was revealed by recent scans, Bakenyan and Mao/Blue Cat were one and the same this whole time. However, seeing it revealed in show adds a new twist, especially for Aiwarn, who was completely flabbergasted that she was in their ranks the whole time (though at the moment, Mao is mostly working towards her own agenda).

The team found her home planet in a very Mirinoi-like state (that is, the entire population was turned to stone) and recovered the Gemini pen, but at the end of the episode Blue Cat absconded with the entire collection of Princess Pens (8/12 of them!) along with Fuwa.

Next Time: The Cure of All Cosmos has arrived

As I’ve said before, while this reveal makes sense and explains a lot regarding both characters it just feels a little too soon to me. Also considering the whole thing is just a persona I’m not even sure if Mao is actually Blue Cat’s real name (though she may officially adopt it as a civilian identity once she becomes a Precure).

I’m also curious if the debut of Cure Cosmo means we’ve seen the last of her Blue Cat form, also it might be interesting if she didn’t join the team right away and instead just gradually started to warm up to them as the series went on (if a recent toy scan is to be taken at face value then it’s possible that a sixth Red Cure may be on the way before long as well).

Also just a heads up, no episode next week due to the US Open airing during Super Hero Time’s usual slot.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

As I’ve said before, while this reveal makes sense and explains a lot regarding both characters it just feels a little too soon to me. Also considering the whole thing is just a persona I’m not even sure if Mao is actually Blue Cat’s real name (though she may officially adopt it as a civilian identity once she becomes a Precure.

It's not. Blue Cat is her actual form, Mao and Bakenyan are just disguises.