Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I don't feel like I know what godzilla vs kong even IS in this universe. King kong is like 100 feet tall and godzilla is like 1000 feet tall and has a bunch of superpowers.

They have made kongs and godzillas that make sense to have fight, these ones seem like, the power levels don't match up at all. Is kong gonna like, climb all over godzilla and poke him in the eyes or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don't feel like I know what godzilla vs kong even IS in this universe. King kong is like 100 feet tall and godzilla is like 1000 feet tall and has a bunch of superpowers.

They have made kongs and godzillas that make sense to have fight, these ones seem like, the power levels don't match up at all. Is kong gonna like, climb all over godzilla and poke him in the eyes or something?

I don't remember where, but the talk is that Kong has grown to be about the same size as Godzilla over the past forty years. Although I think it would be interesting if he was smaller and had to fight differently because of it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Monkey growth hormones and steroids.

And laser eye implants

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Violator posted:

Godzilla vs Kong delayed?

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3566316/godzilla-vs-kong-may-pushed-back-release-date-later-march-2020/

https://deadline.com/2019/06/warner-studio-toby-emmerich-peter-roth-dc-netflix-godzilla-vs-kong-kevin-tsujihara-1202629538/

Included both articles so you can see Deadline's snark about BO performance. Argh. Why do I always follow doomed franchises?! It's my understanding that they already filmed GvK so it's not like they can just cancel it at this point at least.

Edit: Here's the plot summary:

So whatever is left of King G is re-made into a new monster to kill the titans and G and K will have to team up to stop it just like folks here speculated. Maybe Vs movies are just hard, but KOTM and KvG really feels like they're using a lot of BvS broad strokes.

I feel like, if they really aren't performing well, this feels like it could be a good conclusion to the franchise.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I thought the movie was performing pretty solidly though? No?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

It's opening was down from Skull Island and roughly half of Godzilla 2014's opening, it's not doing great. There's no way it'll make back its production budget domestically.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=godzillakong.htm

It's doing better than Pacific Rim: Uprising but almost the same as The Meg, to put it into context.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Basebf555 posted:

If you're not making all the money possible you're a failure. That's capitalism.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Violator posted:

I don't remember where, but the talk is that Kong has grown to be about the same size as Godzilla over the past forty years. Although I think it would be interesting if he was smaller and had to fight differently because of it.

Yeah. They said Kong in Skull Island is just an adolescent. In GvK, he'll be a full grown adult.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Godzilla vs Kong will be an allegory for being natty (Godzilla) versus taking steroids (Kong)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cythereal posted:

Yeah. They said Kong in Skull Island is just an adolescent. In GvK, he'll be a full grown adult.

I don't feel like I grew like 10X my size between adolescence and adult hood.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Godzilla vs Kong will be an allegory for being natty (Godzilla) versus taking steroids (Kong)

Yeah that don't fly anymore. Big G has been juicing.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Oh you’re a giant magical ape god? That’s cool but how do you post? Where did you get your keyboard

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Do you feel like you are an impossibly massive animal whose biology is radically different from yours? Also, "If you're wondering how he eats and breathes, and other science facts..."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Lmao you didn't? Check out this manlet.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I guess that Arcs System Works rumor for a Godzilla fighting game wasn't true.

https://twitter.com/ArcSystemWorksU/status/1138136399738130433

Or maybe they're not ready to announce it yet.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Well parts of me did. :smug:

Edit: you guessed right, it was my rear end. :smith:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

John C. Reilly's character states that "Kong's still growing." back in 1973, he's had almost 50 years to grow

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Somehow an ape being the size of Big G seems way more surreal than a mountainous alligator-bear-thing.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

s.i.r.e. posted:

John C. Reilly's character states that "Kong's still growing." back in 1973, he's had almost 50 years to grow

Didn't he not grow at all between world war II and whatever year skull island was set in?

I don't know, movie magic can fix it, but the kong in these movies seems way more squishy and small and biological compared to godzilla that has a real supernatural force of nature thing going. Like king kong seems like someone you could kill with a gun, compared to godzilla that takes an oxygen destroyer or nuke to the face and can still walk around.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Well if they decide to kill this iteration of Godzilla, would Toho be open to making a sequel to Shin Godzilla?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I have no problem imagining Kong vs Godzilla because, in light of him straight up using improvised martial arts in the climax of Skull Island, I basically expect Kong to approach the size difference in largely the same way as Mad Dog from The Raid handles it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Croatoan posted:

Well if they decide to kill this iteration of Godzilla, would Toho be open to making a sequel to Shin Godzilla?

Apparently they're keen on starting over and creating a new shared universe instead:

quote:

Toho executive Keiji Ota stated that the studio will be releasing a new Godzilla movie every 1-2 years. Not only that, but they're basing their new films on the MCU, as he says;

"The future of the series and its forwarding developments are very conscious of the method of "shared universe". Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah, etc. could all share a single world view much like a Marvel movie where Iron Man and the Hulk can crossover with each other. It is said that each movie can be a possible film production where any one of them could lead a film of their own as the titular character."
https://screenrant.com/toho-godzilla-cinematic-universe-shin-godzilla-2-canceled/

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Giant monster sized Home Alone-style traps on skull island like the third act of You're Next

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Didn't he not grow at all between world war II and whatever year skull island was set in?

We see him just briefly but yeah, he looks to be the same size 30 years later.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I have no problem imagining Kong vs Godzilla because, in light of him straight up using improvised martial arts in the climax of Skull Island, I basically expect Kong to approach the size difference in largely the same way as Mad Dog from The Raid handles it

I think we need to send that suggestion to Legendary.

"Can you, like, mo-cap Yayan Ruhian fighting Brock Lesnar...and like put Kong and Godzilla over them?"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

s.i.r.e. posted:

We see him just briefly but yeah, he looks to be the same size 30 years later.

That's because their documentary footage of the titans was recycled footage from Skull Island and G14.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I was talking about the beginning of Skull Island when Kong appears to a young John C. Reilly.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm watching Vs Mechagodzilla for the first time in a good, long while and I forgot how much the King Caesar song owns.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
They'll make King Kong as big he needs to be and explain it...um...somehow.

here:

https://what-if.xkcd.com/77/

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

I was talking about the beginning of Skull Island when Kong appears to a young John C. Reilly.

He had a period of lagged growth after the skullcrawlers killed his parents and bred out of control, but then in '73 he killed a bunch and their alpha and got back down to business.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

teagone posted:

I'm watching Vs Mechagodzilla for the first time in a good, long while and I forgot how much the King Caesar song owns.

I watched the dub of the 93 mechagodzilla film last night, and I can’t express how disappointed I was. King Caesar song is basically the high point of the series for me.

On the other hand, a guy in the 93 (American cut?) says:

“The time has come; finally, to put our technology to the final test,”

and that just made me feel really happy.

Baby Godzilla is awful, though, and the Rodan (Ra-DON?) puppet really helped me appreciate the KoM version a lot more. It made me realize how desensitized I’ve become to big, cgi effects.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.

Jenny Agutter posted:

Giant monster sized Home Alone-style traps on skull island like the third act of You're Next

John C. Reilly in old man makeup peeks over a hill, watching Kong hooting and slapping the ground in giant ape derisive laughter as an increasingly frustrated and enraged Godzilla is thrashing around trying to pull an immense paint bucket off his head.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Would Ghidorah rather fight one Godzilla-sized Kong, or 100 Kong-sized Godzillas?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm watching KOTM again right now (taking a bathroom break). Vera Farmiga totally did the "don't go to school tomorrow" thing to her scientist colleague by urging him to take the rest of the day off when Mothra hatched.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm really enjoying it so far, the human plot feels very James Bond but with idiots instead of a top secret spy, if that makes sense.

Funny you should say that. Check out the Let's Read James Bond thread, he's really only good at killing people. Like, at all.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861448

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chronojam posted:

Would Ghidorah rather fight one Godzilla-sized Kong, or 100 Kong-sized Godzillas?

100 Kong Sized Godzillas would be downright terrifying because Skull Island Kong is still loving enormous.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm watching KOTM again right now (taking a bathroom break). Vera Farmiga totally did the "don't go to school tomorrow" thing to her scientist colleague by urging him to take the rest of the day off when Mothra hatched.

Oh yeah, the book made that pretty obvious, though not explicit; she's described as looking unhappy when he refuses to go get some rest, though it's not lingered on beyond that. But having watched the movie prior, yeah, that was really apparent. The book also has Madison remember some past stuff with him and her, or him and her and her mother, establishing that he was a friend of both of theirs.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Maybe it'll be Kong and all his megafauna buddies all ganging up on Godzilla. So you got these giant shrieking koalas shimmying up his legs, helicopter sized bumblebees trying to sting him in the eyes, a gargantuan skunk fogging up his senses, candiru the size of yachts, just one long conga line of critters all wailing on him under Kong's direction.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just got done watching it a second time. I swear I heard someone whisper "Destroyah!" right before they unveiled the Gidorah head in the stinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I missed the stinger, I was hungry.