Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I did not see Denji being bifurcated coming. The other twist however I did see coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Here's a random rear end thought about Chainsawman Makima is going to be the Gun Devil or connected to it or whatever and Denji is never going to get his kiss from her after he kills her

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

HerraS posted:

Here's a random rear end thought about Chainsawman Makima is going to be the Gun Devil or connected to it or whatever and Denji is never going to get his kiss from her after he kills her

That would result in maximum suffering for Denji, which is right up this mangaka's alley.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

I know, that's why the thought popped in my mind. I was like "now what would the absolute fucker who wrote Fire Punch go for?"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm not sure whether to be relieved or disappointed by this development.

I'm not a fan of authors killing characters only to bring them back, but killing pretty much everybody would've been a waste. I'm assuming some will stay dead, but Makima coming back suggests someone may have the ability to bring all of them back, which eh, eh. I guess we'll see.

I haven't read Fire Punch so I have no basis of comparison for anything else this guy's done.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm not sure whether to be relieved or disappointed by this development.

I'm not a fan of authors killing characters only to bring them back, but killing pretty much everybody would've been a waste. I'm assuming some will stay dead, but Makima coming back suggests someone may have the ability to bring all of them back, which eh, eh. I guess we'll see.

I haven't read Fire Punch so I have no basis of comparison for anything else this guy's done.
the snake chick brings blade guy back to life multiple times already

i forget, did the author establish a way to detect devils? aside from other devils sensing them

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

So far all we know are the pupils.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HerraS posted:

I know, that's why the thought popped in my mind. I was like "now what would the absolute fucker who wrote Fire Punch go for?"

The main thing I disliked about Fire Punch is that I could never stop thinking about how much it would suck to be on fire constantly, which lead to me being unable to be invested in the protagonist, since if I was in his shoes I'd just wish for the sweet release of death.

edit: And the series makes sure to let you know that the pain never lessens, and that he is literally always experiencing the feeling of being on fire, and the closest thing to relief he gets is being slightly distracted by someone talking. That sort of thing is just too uncomfortable to read.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

wishing for death would be fine and dandy if he were actually able to die

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1002419

SpyXFamily continues to be amazing. You do NOT mess with Mama Bear.That final page might have given me diabetes.

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 16, 2019

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Oh my god, of course there's a super special student council-esque group. :allears: I like that Handler telling Lloyd that he can use underhanded tactics means we can get either Lloyd and Yoru helping Anya get her next star, or Lloyd and Yoru teaming up to ruin some shithead kid's day.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So do you pronounce the X? Or is it like Hunter x Hunter? Spy Cross Family?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mulderman posted:

SpyXFamily continues to be amazing. You do NOT mess with Mama Bear.That final page might have given me diabetes.

I like the insanely get-smart photo booth

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mulderman posted:

:magical: This entire chapter is made out of diabetes and awesomeness.

Thank you berry much.

Edit: man, that repeat sequence had me thinking something was wrong with the Manga.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 16, 2019

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

So do you pronounce the X? Or is it like Hunter x Hunter? Spy Cross Family?

I read it as “Spy Family” myself.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I showed everyone the cuteness!!! :kimchi:

Anya continues to be my spirit animal.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mulderman posted:

Being a Spy is is incredibly tiring. Just look at the bags under Handler and <Twilight>'s eyes. Other than that While the action has slowed down but I think between the actual content and the setup for the larger scope of the story it's consistently staying good

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Darth TNT posted:

Thank you berry much.

I am glad that people liked that line.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
We're getting a fourth season of Shokugeki no Soma just in time for the manga to get shitcanned! :v:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jagged Jim posted:

We're getting a fourth season of Shokugeki no Soma just in time for the manga to get shitcanned! :v:
Just FYI this is kinda being dumped on JC Staff and a lot of people are thinking this wasn't something anyone technically wanted made- and I'm not talking about the fans. So it's gonna uh, probably not be good

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
We never study

I'm happy with the direction this is going. It's rather touching to see how inadequate Ogata feels and why. And I do really like the extra insight we're getting in the relationship between boobs Ogata and Princess Furuhashi.
However, the problem I had with this chapter is the sudden insistence on fan service.
It's always been a fan service series, but usually it's pretty subdued during the more serious parts of a storyline. But it was really in gratuitous here and serves to undermine Ogata's chance at reclaiming her best girl status. :smith:

Also what the hell happened in that last sequence. I don't understand it at all. :psyduck: Did she trip over her feet or misread the mood or what and why does that lead into no studying?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Darth TNT posted:

We never study

I'm happy with the direction this is going. It's rather touching to see how inadequate Ogata feels and why. And I do really like the extra insight we're getting in the relationship between boobs Ogata and Princess Furuhashi.
However, the problem I had with this chapter is the sudden insistence on fan service.
It's always been a fan service series, but usually it's pretty subdued during the more serious parts of a storyline. But it was really in gratuitous here and serves to undermine Ogata's chance at reclaiming her best girl status. :smith:

Also what the hell happened in that last sequence. I don't understand it at all. :psyduck: Did she trip over her feet or misread the mood or what and why does that lead into no studying?

She got jealous and unconsciously got between them, then felt really bad about it, is my read

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Just started reading Spy x Family.

I wish I hadn't waited this long to read Spy x Family.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Poor Ogata. That's actually pretty relatable.

The fanservice did stick out like a sore thumb yeah.

Darth TNT posted:

I assume she got jealous, and instinctively moved in between them. Which was a lovely thing to do and she realized that. Reinforcing her poor self image and causing her to isolate herself.

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 17, 2019

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Ladies and gentlemen -- sorry, gentlemen and ladies, may I present the latest Rokudou no Onna-tachi.

I hope every Raino chapter from now on is like this.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mirage posted:

Ladies and gentlemen -- sorry, gentlemen and ladies, may I present the latest Rokudou no Onna-tachi.

I hope every Raino chapter from now on is like this.

I cannot wait for the next chapter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

We never study

We Never Learn is actually pretty light on the fanservice compared with most shounen romcom series, and its art style is also pretty good in terms of not being too tacky with it (there aren't any ludicrous-sized boobs or bizarre rear end-boob twisted back poses).

While it would obviously be ideal for it to be a zero-fanservice thing, I think it's about the best we could expect from something filling its niche in the WSJ.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Bad Seafood posted:

Just started reading Spy x Family.

I wish I hadn't waited this long to read Spy x Family.

Anya forgives you

Yoru doesn't though so start running

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

We Never Learn is actually pretty light on the fanservice compared with most shounen romcom series, and its art style is also pretty good in terms of not being too tacky with it (there aren't any ludicrous-sized boobs or bizarre rear end-boob twisted back poses).

While it would obviously be ideal for it to be a zero-fanservice thing, I think it's about the best we could expect from something filling its niche in the WSJ.

Absolutely. It does occasionally go for full fanservice. Stuff like beach episodes, clothes getting soaked chapters etc and that's fine and to be expected. And in a certain way it's pretty respectful.
However usually the more serious chapters are extremely light on them. For example the Furuhashi chapters only fanservice was literally Furuhashi looking very cute through art. No Boobs and but poses, no cleavage shots etc.
It's why in this chapter having the art highlight Ogata's breasts twice or trice and especially having Furuhashi jank down skirts feels out of place.
While I don't think the boobs measurement thing was that out of place due to earlier story beats it's the sum of the parts that makes it feel gratuitous whereas I usually admire the way the Mangaka strikes a pleasant balance.

It's a shame because, to me at least, Ogata has the most relatable motivation so far.

Regardless, I do still look forward to the next chapter. So far all focus chapters have been outstanding and despite the "sudden" fanservice this has been no exception, so I fully expect it to stick the landing.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If Rizu gets the shaft as hard as Uruka, because of her autism, I will drop this.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Wut?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Yuiga kind of keeps treating Rizu more like a pet than a young adult. Her current arc is about trying to catch up to Fumino (among others) and feeling deeply jealous about her inability to socialize well (likely from aspergers/HFA which I have myself).

If the arc ends with her sinking her own ship I will drop this manga. It would be like telling me the socially handicapped don't deserve love.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

That's good to know. I keep trying to get into the series but kind of bouncing off the earlier chapters a lot. Got as far as the first home visit, and "sibling introduced as being a 'brocon/siscon'" is usually enough lately for me to drop a series, unless it's something like Grand Blue where I already expect the characters to be lovely people in some way.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I try and check in on we never learn occasionally because of this thread and idk what ytlaya's talking about on the and service thing. far as I can tell, it's in literally every chapter. the writing seems pretty consistent too so if you already don't like it, I don't think you're gonna change your mind. at least I haven't

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Grouchio posted:

If the arc ends with her sinking her own ship I will drop this manga. It would be like telling me the socially handicapped don't deserve love.

I think this is going the other direction, actually. Rizu seems on the cusp of figuring out that she actually likes Nariyuki, which might trigger an emotional breakthrough and possibly even making her the first one to confess openly.

Even if it's not that drastic, Nariyuki is deffo gonna make her realize her own feelings one way or another.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Fanservice is there in every chapter. And when it's not a case of OH LOL BOOBS! It's the insanely tight skirts/pants the characters wear making sure you see the outline of the underwear said character is wearing.
They also really stretch the suspension of disbelieve by putting the cast in the most insane situations.

Where We Never Learn is different from most series though, is that it seems to be fully aware of how silly most of it is. Including things like the brocon sister. Also Yuiga never comes across as a creep and is generally a very good boy. And the series actually develops the cast of every character, including Yuiga gets developed and the time spend between them is divided equally.

I do think the initial chapters are a bit wonky, but now that we have an established cast, it's easily one of my favorite series to read each week.

Also Taishi Tsutsui, the mangaka is has the most adorable author comments each week.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mulderman posted:

Where We Never Learn is different from most series though, is that it seems to be fully aware of how silly most of it is. Including things like the brocon sister. Also Yuiga never comes across as a creep and is generally a very good boy. And the series actually develops the cast of every character, including Yuiga gets developed and the time spend between them is divided equally.
What are some romantic comedy series where you feel any of this is not the case?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

There's plenty of series. Basically anything that plays the accidental pervert trope straight.
Or any show that features the typical nosebleed.
More precise examples would be shows like Love Hina and To Love-Ru.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I am not able to comment upon to-love-ru, but I feel that description is equally applicable to Love Hina. Keitaro is definitely aware of the absurdity of his manga's brand of comedy, he is never intentionally weird towards his friends and as far as I can recall is a genuinely decent person. You could perhaps argue that a difference is that more time is spent on the main love interest in Naru rather than having it spread out but that's a bit of a weird thing to get hung up since it'd apply to most romance stories, shounen comedies or otherwise, and the cast of characters was still generally pretty well developed by the end anyway.

If this is sounding like a defense of Love Hina by a fan, it isn't, but I don't think your description of the main character of WNL is as unique as you make it out to be for the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

WNL's fanservice is on the high side of average actually, but the characters are engaging enough that you kind of gloss over it. The first chapter features several full pages of both the main girls naked, for heaven's sake.