Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Burkion posted:

That seems flat out insane to me.

Each 'volume' of Brigade is going to be in the 100K range, at most maybe 150 K

That's literally over a fourth of an entire volume of my own story. I can't imagine how the pacing is holding up

TWI has never had good pacing

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Super Minion is alright despite being a superhero web serial with all the setting problems that usually comes with those. Protaganist is a bio-weapon learning to be human while teamed up with supervillians. Updates are a bit slow though.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Burkion posted:

Oh I made a mistake uploading right before Inn did

Welp

rekt

TWI Patreon: gently caress it's a Ryoka chapter.

OH gently caress it's a good Ryoka chapter!

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Gladi posted:

The system.

The way it affects the people and underpins the world. You see how the King of Destruction twists the world around himself and ways in which it chafes Flos to be the King of Destruction (not that he does not enjoy it, just that Flos is more than that.

I do not think there is currently anything in K chapters that could not be gotten from other sources, but K chapters are mainly about the System.

I don't think this is exclusive to Flos, at all necessary even if it was, or is even remotely worth reading through the K chapters for.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

cultureulterior posted:

Homicidal Aliens are Invading and All I Got is This Stat Menu

This has a pangolin who also got a Stat Menu from the aliens and put some points into English and now he talks.

EDIT: Read through the whole backlog. It's good, give it a go.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 16, 2019

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Boy that Amy sure is a card

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

She's the most uncomfortably realistic depiction of a rapist I've ever read in fiction tbh.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
edit: Oh, forget it. I love this thread.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 16, 2019

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I want to try using my Kindle Paperwhite to read web serials, but obviously the browser on it is not fun to use. I seem to recall seeing a project on GitHub to scrape/create ebooks for web serials, but can't find it now, all I seem to see are ones specific to wildbow. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Cicero posted:

I want to try using my Kindle Paperwhite to read web serials, but obviously the browser on it is not fun to use. I seem to recall seeing a project on GitHub to scrape/create ebooks for web serials, but can't find it now, all I seem to see are ones specific to wildbow. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Every website is going to require a unique scraper which is going to break pretty easily, so you are going to need a new one for each site you want to download from.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Every website is going to require a unique scraper which is going to break pretty easily, so you are going to need a new one for each site you want to download from.

is it possible to scrape that stuff in python or do you need to work in html or javascript?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

is it possible to scrape that stuff in python or do you need to work in html or javascript?

I use python to scrape some websites, but like I said before I have to update the code for every website. (I don't convert them into epubs, just simplified html, but I'm sure there is a library out there.)

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 16, 2019

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this is a bit of an asterisk with the goblin chapters, though. The goblins are a systemically oppressed race constantly on the verge of being genocided out of existence and the work tries to realistically depict the individuals that would be shaped by those circumstances.

One of the biggest :yikes: parts of TWI is that the characters occasional relate that goblins are prone to raping any non-goblin women they gain control of. It's never explicitly stated as such, but this is 100% a hateful stereotype inflicted on the goblins by their oppressors, and while some individual goblins do engage in that activity, those individuals are exceptional and other goblin characters straight up call such behavior inhuman (ungoblin, specifically).

but the goblin chapters can still be really rough to read on occasion.

The goblins are my favorite characters tbh

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/webtoepub/akiljllkbielkidmammnifcnibaigelm?hl=en is a chrome extension that works for a bunch of sites.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

rekt

TWI Patreon: gently caress it's a Ryoka chapter.

OH gently caress it's a good Ryoka chapter!

Ryoka is the only character in TWI that I truly dislike, so consider me skeptical.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Peachfart posted:

Ryoka is the only character in TWI that I truly dislike, so consider me skeptical.

Could someone explain the fandom's Ryoka thing to me? I've only read chunks of TWI, and her stuff always seemed kinda 'eh' to me, but neither great nor terrible. But reading fan reactions, she seems to be really aggressively despised. Is it because she got tons of chapters early in the story's run, when an update with her was by definition not an update with Erin?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Could someone explain the fandom's Ryoka thing to me? I've only read chunks of TWI, and her stuff always seemed kinda 'eh' to me, but neither great nor terrible. But reading fan reactions, she seems to be really aggressively despised. Is it because she got tons of chapters early in the story's run, when an update with her was by definition not an update with Erin?

Honestly I actually kind of like Ryoka more than most, but she can be used really loving badly by pirateaba sometimes.

Ryoka is at her worst when she's being a loving wunderkind that just happens to have a graduate understanding of chemistry, practical knowledge to explain siegeworks, and her loner tendencies just means that shes the one that cuts through all the bullshit and takes decisive action exactly when needed.

She's great when she's a fuckup that can't stop relentlessly alienating everyone around her and continuously smashes her head against a brick wall thinking this time, this time her head'll break through!

I really enjoyed her desperately trying to engage in basic social niceties and being paralyzed at the thought of going to say hi to the girl she's been living next to and professionally interacting with for months. That's an extremely relatable mood :smith:. I'm not sure how I feel about her once again using her ingenuity to save the day but at this point I guess all characters are going to be able to pull something out of their asses so whatevs.

Hopefully she continues in her quest to realize that the real treasure was, in fact, the friends we made along the way.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
All the Ryoka stuff in this volume is great, the vampire stuff was fun and it's nice that she seems to have largely peaced out.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Makes sense, thanks for the cite/summary :)

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
This one last ward chapter made the same impression on me as the months i spent reading worm post-leviathan.

Not comparing the characters (as someone said Amy is downright monstrous now) but i can't count the number of times i screamed internally "No. Stop. Listen to what are you saying. Listen to what are they saying. loving back down. Take a drat break." at Taylor, and here i felt the same way every time Amy opened her mouth.
That was dreadful and exhausting .

I'm not sure how i feel about this direction, it's the kind of thing that easily overwhelms even a more concise and thoughtful story and i'm not sure wildbow can handle it tactfully , but i commend him for making me feel things as strongly as i did here

Kefahuchi_son!!! fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 17, 2019

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the only reason the conversation is going as well as it is , which is loving terribly, is that amy has had it 5 times already and done worse. this is incremental improvement

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

To give an example how much of a special snowflake Mary Sue Ryoka is. At the start of the story she is running around barefoot over long distances in what is basically medieval Europe, doing a job that normally requires superhuman abilities. None of her stuff is interesting because she can just instantly brute force through the problems she creates for herself. Oh, and she has an internal monologue rant about why she voted for Jill Stein.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

To give an example how much of a special snowflake Mary Sue Ryoka is. At the start of the story she is running around barefoot over long distances in what is basically medieval Europe, doing a job that normally requires superhuman abilities. None of her stuff is interesting because she can just instantly brute force through the problems she creates for herself. Oh, and she has an internal monologue rant about why she voted for Jill Stein.

Said brute forcing things digs her deeper and deeper into the hole of alienating people though. She has few friends, some of them via saving their lives. She gets an abrupt awakening about her physical abilities when confronted by people with the levels/skills to beat her. Couriers smoke her. Currently Ryoka is trying hard to change the way she acts towards people, and it's a struggle.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Kalas posted:

Said brute forcing things digs her deeper and deeper into the hole of alienating people though. She has few friends, some of them via saving their lives. She gets an abrupt awakening about her physical abilities when confronted by people with the levels/skills to beat her. Couriers smoke her. Currently Ryoka is trying hard to change the way she acts towards people, and it's a struggle.
She grows on you over time. Fans being fans though, the first impression of "this is terrible where's erin ryoka sucks" never changes, only intensifies.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Her pissing off all of her friends and them getting brutally slaughtered before she can properly apologize to them is some real :smith: poo poo.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah, Ryoka's antagonistic behavior has consequences--multiple times--so I don't see much of a problem as far as Mary Sue-ing goes. She definitely does not have the quality where everyone adores her no matter what she does, which is pretty much the defining trait of the trope. Heck, the reason she's not around is because she was effectively banished after everyone she knew told her quite politely that they needed a break from seeing her face because of her connection to the last thing that menaced Liscor.

Also, frankly, every character is more or less a Mary Sue in their own POV chapters, from Erin to Rags to Selys and even Laken. Other chapters make pretty clear how characters see each other, and only Erin is actually beloved by everyone--and I like Erin! Because she's nice!

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

violent sex idiot posted:

the only reason the conversation is going as well as it is , which is loving terribly, is that amy has had it 5 times already and done worse. this is incremental improvement

Those 5 dots are harrowing. That 5 symbols without text distressed me so much really relates how much this chapter worked for me.

I hope that the whole situation has some thematic/narrative payoff and it's not just torturing Victoria as a crutch to justify some future problematic actions on her part or wildbow doubling down in psychological horror the same way he does in body horror, where sometimes it's exhausting to the point of being meaningless.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Argue posted:

Yeah, Ryoka's antagonistic behavior has consequences--multiple times--so I don't see much of a problem as far as Mary Sue-ing goes. She definitely does not have the quality where everyone adores her no matter what she does, which is pretty much the defining trait of the trope. Heck, the reason she's not around is because she was effectively banished after everyone she knew told her quite politely that they needed a break from seeing her face because of her connection to the last thing that menaced Liscor.

Also, frankly, every character is more or less a Mary Sue in their own POV chapters, from Erin to Rags to Selys and even Laken. Other chapters make pretty clear how characters see each other, and only Erin is actually beloved by everyone--and I like Erin! Because she's nice!

To me, I disliked how Ryoka would always be mad/emo about everything and everyone all the time. I'm glad that seems to be changing, but I think I will need a few more 'Ryoka stops acting like Emo Superman' chapters to flush those opinions out.
And Erin is the GOAT, even with the slightly darker turn she has taken recently.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally got around the reading the new MoL and I guess that means the next chapter will actually be interesting??

It's funny that Zorian keeps loving up hiding his powers and resources, though.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Peachfart posted:

To me, I disliked how Ryoka would always be mad/emo about everything and everyone all the time. I'm glad that seems to be changing, but I think I will need a few more 'Ryoka stops acting like Emo Superman' chapters to flush those opinions out.
And Erin is the GOAT, even with the slightly darker turn she has taken recently.

Emo Superman Ryoka + waaaay too many Flos chapters (although the first started slacking off around the time the second picked up) made me quit reading TWI. I just found myself unable to care about the words on the page. Ryoka's BS started slacking off around the time I quit reading, but it also seemed like a lot of that slack was being picked up by Laken.

I might go back to it at some point, but the barrier about not giving to be able to give a poo poo about a bunch of the main characters, and having supporting characters I'm interested in killed off like the ghoul-woman-thing in that one town who befriended the goblins just killed my enthusiasm for the story, so reading it feels more like a chore than something to be enjoyed. I felt like nothing was building towards a conclusion, and if there's foreshadowing, it was always many many many times foreshadowing oh, that dude's a dragon...yep...totally still a dragon...oh hey, it's that dragon guy again...yep...hello mr. dragon...then the story goes OH LOOK HE WAS A DRAGON THE WHOLE TIME.

I guess the not-feeling-like-it's-building-to-a-conclusion/pacing issues might be more because of the web serial format, but wildbow and practical guide seem to be much better at having satisfying conclusions to mini-arcs, where TWI seemed just like "and then this happened and then this happened and then this happened and chapter end".

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

boxen posted:

I felt like nothing was building towards a conclusion, and if there's foreshadowing, it was always many many many times foreshadowing oh, that dude's a dragon...yep...totally still a dragon...oh hey, it's that dragon guy again...yep...hello mr. dragon...then the story goes OH LOOK HE WAS A DRAGON THE WHOLE TIME.

We knew that, in-story characters didn't because they were being memory wiped.

As much as I don't like some of the people involved in Flos's chapters (the like to not-like ratio has improved a lot in recent chapters), it was full of work building/mechanic info.

There's tons of info we get that is being built towards, but a lot things that are happening are the result of previous actions. The new war brewing is directly from the last war.

The fact we got cock-blocked on a Niers/Geneva meeting... was painful.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Pracguide new chapter spoiler: RIP Laurence, you died as you lived: old.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Dark Cat is loving terrifying. Anyone remember what was meant by I touched me too, but Gods forgive me the touch was lighter than I’d believed it would be. The Dead King, it seemed, might have been terrifyingly correct.?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Dark Cat is loving terrifying. Anyone remember what was meant by I touched me too, but Gods forgive me the touch was lighter than I’d believed it would be. The Dead King, it seemed, might have been terrifyingly correct.?

Her not sword aged her too, but less than it should have. She may still be immortal even after dropping Winter.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

Her not sword aged her too, but less than it should have. She may still be immortal even after dropping Winter.

I figured, but I wasn't sure if "I" was supposed to be "It" or not. I'd edit Prac Guide myself changing nothing but the typos if I could.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Caught up with Ward. Man, Amy is a real piece of work.

On the upside, the comments seem about 50/50 (which seems better than in past Amy chapters*). On the downside, that still means about 50% of the comments are insane people who, even after this are still siding with Amy.

* I saw one specific comment that basically said this chapter was the final straw for them, as someone who was trying to give Amy the benefit of the doubt during all the previous stuff

edit: I saw some people speculate that Amy was doing some messed up stuff with erasing Victoria's memory and having the conversation with her multiple times, or something. I didn't pick up on anything like this when I read the chapter, though it does seem strange that Breakout wouldn't physically fight to prevent this situation from occurring.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Ytlaya posted:

edit: I saw some people speculate that Amy was doing some messed up stuff with erasing Victoria's memory and having the conversation with her multiple times, or something. I didn't pick up on anything like this when I read the chapter, though it does seem strange that Breakout wouldn't physically fight to prevent this situation from occurring.

circle symbol was used within this chapter to represent time breaks from amy knocking out victoria, as well as used previously to represent imp erasing herself missing the flare gun shots repeatedly and just general whenever vicky lost time to imps power poo poo, so the idea is that the five symbols in the most recent chapter represent 5 times amy knocked out victoria and erased her memory of the conversation

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

circle symbol was used within this chapter to represent time breaks from amy knocking out victoria, as well as used previously to represent imp erasing herself missing the flare gun shots repeatedly and just general whenever vicky lost time to imps power poo poo, so the idea is that the five symbols in the most recent chapter represent 5 times amy knocked out victoria and erased her memory of the conversation

well balls, i was thinking it was a :tinfoil: theory but that basically clinches it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ah yes, on second look I believe this is actually what happened. Hahhaha jesus christ. Looking forward to the "but Victoria beat up some Nazis and maybe unknowingly influenced Amy with her aura, which is basically just as bad!" excuses

I wonder if wildbow actually decided to go even further just because of the bizarre defensive fanbase.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

well balls, i was thinking it was a :tinfoil: theory but that basically clinches it

Yup