Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

moron izzard posted:

wanted to see how small of an ardupilot capable wing I could build. omnibus f4 nano, 7a blheli32 ESC (turnigy, which im pretty sure are rebadging of the racerstar tattoo series), that motor, among other things
I wholeheartedly support this kind of fun. It also comes with 4x LED modules and I'm not being sarcastic when I say that's pretty sweet.

After seeing it come through the FPV reviewer sites, I kinda wanted that new ZOHD Talon GT "Rebel", that boxy looking gently caress. It's sort of just a giant crate you can load up with gear and send into the air. What I don't have is enough influence to get one for free, and geez $200? Last time I had 200 spare dollars was before I started this hobby. Instead I made my own out of parts I had on hand, a sheet of dollar tree foam, and a rigid insulation project panel. Total new parts cost, under $10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
everything I read says its a worse mini talon in every aspect

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

MT is what, $60?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes $40! And has a big community of 3d printed accessories, modifications, mounts, etc.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 1, 2019

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

So I built my quad and have been loving around with it mostly in horizon mode. I've only hosed up 1 set of props and chipped the frame a little. I'm still poo poo at it, however, so I had some questions:

-How do I properly attach the battery? I get the feeling that part of the drift the quad does when only throttle is applied stems from the quad not being balanced, which is for the most part due to the battery shifting in flight and me probably not attaching it centered in the first place.
-Is it actually easy at all to hover roughly at the same height? I'm always either bouncing from temporary ground effect lift or taking off immediately.
-How the gently caress do people fly these things at full power I've set my max throttle to 25% and I'm terrified

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Leandros posted:

So I built my quad and have been loving around with it mostly in horizon mode. I've only hosed up 1 set of props and chipped the frame a little. I'm still poo poo at it, however, so I had some questions:

-How do I properly attach the battery? I get the feeling that part of the drift the quad does when only throttle is applied stems from the quad not being balanced, which is for the most part due to the battery shifting in flight and me probably not attaching it centered in the first place.

Put a Velcro loop around the battery and whatever frame plate it is sticking to. If the thing wobbles and leans on throttle application it could be from FC set up or props, these things are fairly resistant to imbalance. Maybe check your antigravity settings if that’s still a thing and you are using beta flight.

Leandros posted:

-Is it actually easy at all to hover roughly at the same height? I'm always either bouncing from temporary ground effect lift or taking off immediately.

No. These things are hard. You’ll get it with more practice.

Leandros posted:

-How the gently caress do people fly these things at full power I've set my max throttle to 25% and I'm terrified

:gitgud:

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Leandros posted:

Attaching the battery is largely dependent on the frame, but rubberized straps and adhesives will curb any slippage.

Everything else is a matter of practice and getting the muscle memory down. That said, a larger camera angle helps make speed less intimidating, since you'll have better visibility while speeding.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Leandros posted:

Get a sim and spend a dozen hours in it.

For your battery get a battery pad and rubber backed straps.

Hovering is hard. Practice out of ground effect.

moron izzard posted:

everything I read says its a worse mini talon in every aspect
It’s got more room (who gives a poo poo)
It’s got a spot for hdcam in the front (by compromising aero and landing performance)
It’s got a tail assembly you can easily remove I guess?

Also motors that won’t hold together.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 4, 2019

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, I forgot to add that there's always something special about a scratch build.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of sim, it's been probably two years since I touched my drones and I want to get my flight legs back under me before I take my gizmos out into the real world. Two questions:

- Would OpenTX on a turnigy 9x prevent me from using the trainer port? I honestly don't know y/n
- Has anyone hooked up a Turnigy 9x to a Mac for DRL? I ordered this which may or may not work with the 9X; if not I'm only out ten bucks.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Canadian RC laws changed to make crashing punishable with a $1k fine?

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Martytoof posted:

Speaking of sim, it's been probably two years since I touched my drones and I want to get my flight legs back under me before I take my gizmos out into the real world. Two questions:

- Would OpenTX on a turnigy 9x prevent me from using the trainer port? I honestly don't know y/n
- Has anyone hooked up a Turnigy 9x to a Mac for DRL? I ordered this which may or may not work with the 9X; if not I'm only out ten bucks.

1. The t9x has an issue where if you have a radio module plugged in (even if it's the stock module that's hardwired to the antenna), no signal will come out of the trainer port. You can either unplug the radio module, or see if you can change the protocol in your software to "PPMSIM" (not PPM).

2. Haven't had experience using one of those before. A long time ago, I found some software solution that involved me plugging my radio's trainer port to my computer's microphone port, which then converted that signal into inputs on a virtual gamepad I could use in sims. That dongle just seems like a hardware version of what I was using, so in theory it should work I guess?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for the heads up on the module, I'll make sure to pull it

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm getting back into this after not flying for maybe 10 years. I need a new radio and I'm completely out of the loop on modern radios and 2.4 GHz stuff. I would like to do both fixed-wing stuff and quads at some point. The suggestion I got was the FrSky Taranis X9D Plus. I ordered one today, it was like $240 with GetFPV's case-and-receiver combo. I should have asked this beforehand but they've been out of stock for months and I jumped before thinking, am I gonna horribly regret not getting something else instead? It's probably not too late to cancel the order or return it...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 6, 2019

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nope, it's very good.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There’s arguably better stuff but it’s very good and used by absolutely everyone+dog so finding howtos is easy peasy.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I ended up cancelling and getting the SE for a couple bucks more (and no hard-case but oh well). The better sticks, charger, and detachable antenna sold it.

I got a little parkflyer at Toledo, it has an ESC but only two plugs, one is obviously battery and one is throttle PWM. How does the receiver get powered in this situation? Does the ESC backfeed the receiver using the throttle connection when I plug it in?

The receiver I got was the RX4R if it makes a difference.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Paul MaudDib posted:

I ended up cancelling and getting the SE for a couple bucks more (and no hard-case but oh well). The better sticks, charger, and detachable antenna sold it.

I got a little parkflyer at Toledo, it has an ESC but only two plugs, one is obviously battery and one is throttle PWM. How does the receiver get powered in this situation? Does the ESC backfeed the receiver using the throttle connection when I plug it in?

The receiver I got was the RX4R if it makes a difference.

Yes. On your ESC or servos you have three wires: ground (black or brown), power (red or orange), signal (white or yellow). The ESC provides 5V to the receiver and servos by way of the power wire. It’s called a BEC (batter eliminator circuit).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

The SE is legit good if you don't mind clicking a billion times for up/down/pages. The sticks are lovely.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah most fixed wing ESCs have a small regulator (which RC people love to still call a BEC) to power receiver and servos. That's why you pull the power pin on ESC #2 when you fly a multi-engine.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UaO6Z4LWks

Don't forget to strap in your lipos when practicing inverted, k?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
That was a heli?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nah, it was my Banshee:

Should be repairable.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Built a tyro79 today as my first fpv quad. Motor check was good, no puff of smoke, so I'm pretty happy.

I got a kit with the good camera cable but only 5 nylon standoffs (of 8) so I can't finish off the build.

Has anybody else built one of these and bound it to a flysky fs-i6? Should I be using PPM or SBUS / IBUS? PPM works but I'm missing 4 aux channels. SBUS wasn't working but now I realize it was probably a failsafe error and not a compatibility error.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Built a tyro79 today as my first fpv quad. Motor check was good, no puff of smoke, so I'm pretty happy.

I got a kit with the good camera cable but only 5 nylon standoffs (of 8) so I can't finish off the build.

Has anybody else built one of these and bound it to a flysky fs-i6? Should I be using PPM or SBUS / IBUS? PPM works but I'm missing 4 aux channels. SBUS wasn't working but now I realize it was probably a failsafe error and not a compatibility error.

iirc Flysky gear defaults to iBus and the last time I used any of their RX's they were buggy as hell and even if you pressed the button to put them in sbus mode they'd reset every time you cut power so you had to do it every time. definitely use ibus if you can, it's better than PPM.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sbus is way faster than ppm

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
But the real question was "will my Rx on ibus work with my fc on sbus"

Sounds like I need to keep digging until it works to avoid ppm

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Sounds like I need to keep digging until it works to avoid ppm

No, it won't right off the bat. You need to go into the configuration tab of betaflight and change PPM to iBus. It will be in the list just like sBus and a bunch of other protocols.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Yeah did everything I could, ibus just would not work. Even tried a different Rx and got nothing with the ibus settings / solder. It's possible I just didn't have a good enough solder to bridge it but it looked ok to me.

Maiden flight of the tyro79 (using ppm) was successful so at least the rest of it was built correctly.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Looks like someone is importing the Jumper T16 where I am living and certifying them with the radio transmission authority. I have a few cheap planes I was misled were FHSS compatible that I was considering swapping out components to get them to work, but I'm kinda lazy. Is the T16 good enough to just get that instead?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

No but you just set your uart to ibus and get on with your life.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Looks like someone is importing the Jumper T16 where I am living and certifying them with the radio transmission authority. I have a few cheap planes I was misled were FHSS compatible that I was considering swapping out components to get them to work, but I'm kinda lazy. Is the T16 good enough to just get that instead?
If I didn't have 2 radios already I'd definitely consider it. The gimbals are merely nice instead of great (on the x10/x-lites)

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 18, 2019

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Something to note, SBUS is inverted and IBUS isn't, so don't connect it to an SBUS input put that has a hardware inverter on it or it won't work. When connecting things over IBUS, I usually combine the IBUS and telemetry into a single pin and connect it to the TX pin of the UART I am going to use. The TX pin associated with SBUS usually does not have the inverter so it solves both problems. Downside: you need a diode and resistor to combine the wires using this pseudo-schematic. I also have to change things like 5 times between "Ports" and "Protocol" in the iNAV's configurator before I can get it to stick properly for some reason.

If you only want to connect IBUS in, then you can't use that trick though and just need a non-inverted RX UART on the FC.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CapnBry posted:

Something to note, SBUS is inverted and IBUS isn't, so don't connect it to an SBUS input put that has a hardware inverter on it or it won't work. When connecting things over IBUS, I usually combine the IBUS and telemetry into a single pin and connect it to the TX pin of the UART I am going to use. The TX pin associated with SBUS usually does not have the inverter so it solves both problems. Downside: you need a diode and resistor to combine the wires using this pseudo-schematic. I also have to change things like 5 times between "Ports" and "Protocol" in the iNAV's configurator before I can get it to stick properly for some reason.

If you only want to connect IBUS in, then you can't use that trick though and just need a non-inverted RX UART on the FC.

Jeez, I'm glad I gave up and settled with ppm.

Maybe someday I'll upgrade to a big boy frsky x7, use real sbus, and move on from crazy hacks.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Maybe someday I'll upgrade to a big boy frsky x7, use real sbus, and move on from crazy hacks.

Lol yeah. You don't need to rig up some capacitors and resistors into a cludge though maybe, post a picture of your flight controller, there is probaly another pad you can solder your signal wire to which will get iBus working right

I completely forgot about the inverted/uninverted nonsense. That is almost certainly what you're running into if you're soldering your RX signal wire to a pad labelled "sbus"

Honestly though if your thingy is working and responding to your controller just go fly it and have fun. You can gently caress around forever making a """"perfect"""" setup that never leaves your bench

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Looking at the FC for the tyro 79, I think you might just need to solder the jumper for PPM (so it disables the inverter circuit) and then you should be able to use whatever UART the SBUS connector goes to.

Alternatively, you could just wire the iBus signal into any other available UART and select it from the Ports tab.

And then remember to select iBus for the protocol on whatever port you wind up using.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Maybe someday I'll ... move on from crazy hacks.

This is the dream of every fpv pilot.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Are you talking about those XK fixed wing models like the A800 that say "S-FHSS" on the transmitter, but actually use WLToys protocol instead? Those should work just fine with any Jumper radio or STM32 multiprotocol module (e.g. iRangeX IRX4). Based on tutorials, it looks like KN -> WLToys is the protocol/subprotocol you want for this if using OpenTX/JumperTX.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yeah. I got the DHC-2, and the extra300, both used S-FHSS and I was happy with them. So I got that glider (sans transmitter) because the website said it was also compatible, when it was not. Also got the 3 channel predator, and that seems to be something different than the glider's WLToys receiver board (or I failed at binding it).

E: I also have that baseline Spektrum, but it is a pain to tweak profiles. Bought the old phone cable for it, but that was deprecated. Bought the USB cable, and that can only do so much, updating the transmitter firmware makes the USB cable stop working and requires you to get the new Bluetooth adapter to use with a smartphone. So I guess the Jumper would help me out with that, too.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 19, 2019

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Looking at the FC for the tyro 79, I think you might just need to solder the jumper for PPM (so it disables the inverter circuit) and then you should be able to use whatever UART the SBUS connector goes to.

Alternatively, you could just wire the iBus signal into any other available UART and select it from the Ports tab.

And then remember to select iBus for the protocol on whatever port you wind up using.

When I bridge the ppm pad and select ibus, the receiver tab only shows 4 channels and none of them react to the transmitter. If I select ppm and reboot I get 8 channels that all work.

Test flight this morning was successful so I'm happy with ppm for now.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Haha oh every system has its own hacks for some reason. Like, why is SBUS inverted? Who makes an inverted serial protocol when we have standard polarity TTL? Oh that's because SBUS was a hack at the time, and now it is just most things account for it despite it being dumb. FrSky also has the newer F.PORT protocol, which is non-inverted (hooray!) but bi-directional (what?) since telemetry is carried on the same wire. It runs on the S.PORT wire, which is also inverted, so you need to either have a double inverter that works in both directions, or solder onto the FrSky receiver a new wire that accesses uninverted S.PORT and run that to your uninverted TX (not RX) on the flight controller. So, juuuuuust a bit less crazy hacky than the way IBUS needs to be set up to work, but still well situated the wtf hax pavilion. FrSky also just completely redid their air protocol, replacing ACCST with ACCESS which only works on certain receivers, is a one way "upgrade", and I think that only does SBUS so we're back to full hacks again.

When I need a micro receiver, I go with a Flit10+ which does FlySky IBUS and includes the pieces needed to run telemetry and the receiver on the same wire and is about $12. FrSky has the nice advantage that any data can be sent back and forth from opentx / Taranis, which allows you to change flight controller settings from your transmitter, but you pay twice as much for the luxury, the protocol has a ton of data drops, and the RXSR I have is EMF noisy as hell compared to all my different FlySky receivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

When I bridge the ppm pad and select ibus, the receiver tab only shows 4 channels and none of them react to the transmitter. If I select ppm and reboot I get 8 channels that all work.

Test flight this morning was successful so I'm happy with ppm for now.

Granted I am way out of date on BF firmware, but that sounds like a firmware issue more than anything. The jumper should just disable the inverter circuit and shouldn't have any other knock-on effects.

Anyway - glad you got it flying.