Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there is no "original manga" for utena, the manga and anime were created at the same time. chiho saito literally just hates gay people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the utena dub also completely missed that juri was gay and like what her whole arc was about. i think only juri's VA was like "uhhhh guys"

Endorph posted:

The translation seems awkward but it seems like he means it as 'this is what's expected' or 'normally,' yeah.

It's funny but it's worth noting he wasn't evne kidding about it being a joke, weird a sentence as that is. The anime doesn't introduce any fakeout deaths for him that the manga didn't have and if anything gives him more screentime, even after Ikuhara becomes lead director.
i respect him for trying

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think ikuhara actually dislikes or wants to kill tuxedo mask, if anything he seems to like him quite a lot. he dislikes his use in the manga and to a certain extent the show as a barometer for usagi's 'purity' or whatever, compared to haruka/seiya/that one guy in s1 who ran the arcade and then never showed up again, who are all presented as not just romantic rivals but like, grave threats to Usagi's ability to be a heroine somehow.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
arcade guy was so bizarre because he was sort of a romantic rival but also like. did literally nothing across the entirety of his screentime so by the time he disappears you don't really even notice

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I remember Please Sav My Earh had a subplot where two of the boys were a cis couple in their past lives on the moon and one of them still feels attraction for the other so they have to deal w that. Can't recall how that went down. Please Save My Earth got weird.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i also like the guy who's pitched as rei's potential boyfriend and who is relevant for all of like a combined twenty minutes

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Endorph posted:

i dont think ikuhara actually dislikes or wants to kill tuxedo mask, if anything he seems to like him quite a lot. he dislikes his use in the manga and to a certain extent the show as a barometer for usagi's 'purity' or whatever, compared to haruka/seiya/that one guy in s1 who ran the arcade and then never showed up again, who are all presented as not just romantic rivals but like, grave threats to Usagi's ability to be a heroine somehow.

Don't forget about the threat of Umino, that cool and sexy dude.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
umino is just the living proof alongside tuxedo mask's later appearances that some of the dudes in sailor moon are fine when they're used for decent gags

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
one day i'll watch S and meet Hotaru's dad

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth Walrus posted:

What's this from?

King of Prism: Pride the Hero, which is the second movie spinoff sequel to Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live, a 51 episode magical girls-esque idol anime. None of which were ever officially licensed, but they are available through fansubs. Seven Shiny Stars airing this season follows all that though, and it's on Crunchyroll, though you might not have good context if you just start watching there.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Will delete this if it’s deemed out of place for ‘anime news and events’...

*snip*

It was!

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 17, 2019

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Really don't think this is the place for that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Apraxin posted:

Will delete this if it’s deemed out of place for ‘anime news and events’, but some 8chan/incel guy tried to shoot up a courthouse in Dallas this morning (cops killed him before he hurt anyone) and uhhhhhhhhhhh

https://mobile.twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1140687529454329858
i went to that guys facebook and it was 99% star wars and comic books with like two generic anime memes, mainstream media lying yet again

also hes talking about deadpool cosplay

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 17, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also that image isnt him, its a joke image that was spread around 4chan

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Also this is the season thread not the chat thread.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
^^^
Yeah, wasn’t sure if we had a system of what went where, thought I remembered posts on anime-related news/scandals that happened during a season (Vic Mignogna etc.) being posted in the season thread at the time.

Endorph posted:

also that image isnt him, its a joke image that was spread around 4chan
Thanks for your service of looking at his Facebook (not sarcasm, never know what horrible poo poo you’ll find there), the post about A-kon had me thinking he was an anime-specific Qanon guy and we might have just come close to a mass shooting at a con, but I guess he was really a generic nerd would-be mass-murderer :smith:.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 17, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Apraxin posted:

Thanks for your service of looking at his Facebook (not sarcasm, never know what horrible poo poo you’ll find there), the post about A-kon had me thinking he was an anime-specific Qanon guy and we might have just come close to a mass shooting at a con, but I guess he was really a generic nerd would-be mass-murderer :smith:.
Honestly his facebook seemed pretty normal. It was 90% generic star wars and history memes and 10% gently caress liberals stuff, but not even like, an excessively violent level of gently caress liberals stuff. And he doesn't seem to have any real connective tissue from his politics to his nerd interests.

News outlets mostly just seem to be running with the anime weirdo thing because it's a more clickbaity/interesting angle than 'guy who maybe owns a star wars shirt in your community college history class.'

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
did he hate the last jedi

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

did he hate the last jedi

the hosed up thing is i didnt see a single thing about it

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Endorph posted:

the hosed up thing is i didnt see a single thing about it

That's how you can tell it's a CIA plot :tinfoil:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Holy crap Isekai Quartet! Poor Yunyun I can't believe they went there.

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 19, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mulderman posted:

Holy crap Isekai Quartet! Poor Yunyun I can't believe they went there.

What happened?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

doomrider7 posted:

What happened?
Yunyun has no classmates. Classic Konosuba.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Grouchio posted:

Yunyun has no classmates. Classic Konosuba.

For some reason I was expecting boob slapping like in the OVA or something. drat though that's cold.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Gay, straight, poly, whatever. I just want more shows that explore finding healthy relationships. The synopsis I got of Given is that it's kinda doing that.

I'll watch Quartet if Subaru dies randomly and nobody bats an eye or cares one bit. Has that happened yet?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yes

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm pretty hype for Given. I haven't read the manga but it's been on my list to read for a while and I've read some other stuff by the same author that I liked quite a bit. 

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/Spytrue/status/1141683837258407937

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I’m hoping it’ll be more interesting in motion

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Erg posted:

Biiiiiiig :same:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm gonna check it out cuz Okubo and also David does good work.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That's a lot of fire

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There's a PV you know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzM43HZ6oeg

I feel pretty positive about the second coming of Soul Eater

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

That's a very Soul Eater-y grin. That and Promare should be interesting to watch together, once I finally get to.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
im very glad that i watched sarazanmai but i also feel sad because it's over now :(

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

lol, I was confusing Fire Force with Fire Punch. I was wondering why everybody was looking forward to a work that I heard was extremely grim-dark.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Wow that's a long runner. Kodansha is really grooming that and Slime as their next big shows it seems.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
need this to hurry up and end so david prod can make jojo part 6 because that is how anime production works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Erg posted:

Why, does the manga seem boring?