Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Tommy Wiseau doing the "cheep cheep!" from The Room as PenPen

I would love this.

e: Anyone think the new dub will go with "Evan-JELL-ion" rather than "Evan-GEHL-ion"? It seems every time YouTube suggests me a video on Evangelion the YouTuber wants to say it with the former soft g. Makes my skin crawl. But it's closer to the word's greek roots and all the "tastemakers" on the internet seem obsessed with pronouncing it that way so :shrug:.

e2: The worst mispronunciation I've ever heard is EH-VAN-JAH-LEE-ON.

Console Role Player fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I guess it makes sense in a way, you don't hear people say evan-hard g gel-ist, or at least I don't. I hear evanjelist. But also language is fake so say what sounds good (hard g)

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
at least we can always call it Eva

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I think I kinda want this??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpcbZT0mfaA

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ggggellion

All the hard g sounds

Fick language

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Japanese name is a hard G but I ain't japanese.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wait which one is the hard G. Is it a hard G when you say Gun or is it a soft G.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's the one you say in Evangelion, or gif.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Wait which one is the hard G. Is it a hard G when you say Gun or is it a soft G.

Hard g is gun, soft g is genome soldier.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Console Role Player posted:

Are we really not going to know anything about the new cast until it gets released? We should be frothing with anticipation over the casting choices right now.

Anyone care to make wagers?
Cherami Leigh (Makoto Niijima Persona 5, A2 Nier Automata) as Misato

It’d be supper funny if, off of Sailor Moon Stars, Stephine Sheh did Misaso and Erica Mendez played Shinji (shes voiced boys before, Gon in particular) but I can’t help shake the feeling we haven’t heard names be cause Netflix knows it’s a contentious matter.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 20, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Capntastic posted:

If the whole point of the show’s view of interpersonal interactions is “we are partially defined by others and their incomplete views of us, and vice versa”, and “without the limits imposed by those definitions, our subjective experiences are meaningless”, then Yui forging herself into a designated marker of “Humanity Existed” is more potent than just being a road marker out in space: it is a perpetual signifier to any other beings out there that allows humanity as a whole to have some meaning, no matter how incomplete and alien it will be when observed.

killing everyone to make a big old signpost(and deciding that you're the perfect representation of all of humanity) seems kind of dickish

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Netflix is doing right by the VAs by not announcing the cast in advance so at least people hear the dub first before they go full internet harassment mob. I feel legitimately bad for them because even if it's a great dub, a bunch of folks will inevitably be unhappy in a very vocal, unproductive and negative way. They won't just be unhappy and leave it at that - Evangelion virtually invented modern fan entitlement.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I bet the new dub won't even have baloney pony in it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Cowards

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

they'll say bologna pogna

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
But the old dub was trash tho

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Szmitten posted:

But the old dub was trash tho

Yes but it was OUR trash.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

iospace posted:

Yes but it was OUR trash.

It was our trash and I'll defend it to the death.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ultraklystron posted:

Netflix is doing right by the VAs by not announcing the cast in advance so at least people hear the dub first before they go full internet harassment mob. I feel legitimately bad for them because even if it's a great dub, a bunch of folks will inevitably be unhappy in a very vocal, unproductive and negative way. They won't just be unhappy and leave it at that - Evangelion virtually invented modern fan entitlement.

Full anonymity would probably be the best for them, though it would be a drag not to have it on your resume. It would prevent Tiffany Grant from showing up at the door of whoever voiced Asuka, at least.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Yinlock posted:

killing everyone to make a big old signpost(and deciding that you're the perfect representation of all of humanity) seems kind of dickish

Yui didn't kill everyone; she intercepted a prophecy about the end of the world, and then risked her life, abandoned her family, and played the most powerful men on the planet to make sure they couldn't hijack the prophecy to turn themselves into gods.

(And then found a way to rationalize the utter loneliness that awaited her at the end of it, after seeing her son one last time.)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wallace Sean as Shinji

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yui didn't kill everyone; she intercepted a prophecy about the end of the world, and then risked her life, abandoned her family, and played the most powerful men on the planet to make sure they couldn't hijack the prophecy to turn themselves into gods.

(And then found a way to rationalize the utter loneliness that awaited her at the end of it, after seeing her son one last time.)
That's a good one.

And even that, selfless as it seems in the whole, ends up having a downside in that it pushes Gendo to alienate himself from his humanity and use his son as a tool to being him back to his wife.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Zeruel posted:

It was our trash and I'll defend it to the death.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

That's a good one.

And even that, selfless as it seems in the whole, ends up having a downside in that it pushes Gendo to alienate himself from his humanity and use his son as a tool to being him back to his wife.

Yeah, absolutely. It's hard to get a perfectly clear or definite read on Yui's personality and motivations, but one thing that seems consistent is that she means well but either doesn't really understand other human beings very well, or at least is forgiving of and optimistic about them to an extreme degree.

(Which are also Rei's defining traits for most of the series.)

e: also as someone on the autism spectrum I strongly relate to both Rei and Yui, which probably contributes to my willingness to read them as sympathetic and to focus on their internal character vs. just giving up on them as ciphers, dismissing Rei as a fantasy of passive femininity, reading Yui as a villain, etc. I do think that my readings are well-supported by the series, of course, but it's also informed by my own experiences.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 20, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Here's something that's mostly speculation on my part, but consistent with what we do know: I suspect that Fuyutsuki loved Yui because she believed in the goodness of other people in a way he wanted to but couldn't, and that Gendo loved Yui because she (at least seemingly) refused to judge him.

Compare, for context, Fuyutsuki's overflowing admiration for her self-sacrifice to Gendo's respect for her principles mixed with desperate need for her approval. They're very similar motivations and both of them respond to the same genuine aspects of her character, but in Fuyutsuki's case he cares about what she can do for others but distances her by putting her on a pedestal, whereas Gendo was genuinely close to her but only cared about what she meant to him.

Neither of them are complete monsters (in TV Evangelion, anyways, Rebuild as always is its own beast) but both of them are kind of unhealthily fixated on her in their own ways, and ultimately little more than bystanders to her plan.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Always with the hard G sound.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Always with the hard G sound.

Even if you're trying to evangelize for Evangelion?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Comedy option: Netflix isn't announcing the dub cast because they signed Vic on as a major character and can't back out now, and are just hoping that most people go straight for the subtitle option and don't notice

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
I don’t think Netflix ever announces their dub casts. Caring about the specific casts of dubs is only a thing with anime viewers, and Netflix mostly knows dubbing from making non-English dubs of their own productions where that’s mostly not a concern.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It’s here.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

rip EVERY SINGLE MISSILE HIT THE TARGET!!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
New dub stinks

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Shinji sounds so weird. He and Misato sound like someone doing an impression of the previous VAs at times.

edit: Don't mind Gendo and Fuyutski though.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 21, 2019

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving
This transfer is gorgeous, though. I don't have any opinions on the dub since I literally haven't watched this since ... 2004?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
They're using "Third Children." :chloe:

They'll have to have cut 'so hosed up.'

It all sounds fairly... heartless? I guess they've made all the lines more literal, but it feels like a lot of the character is gone. I mustn't run away VS "Don't run away."

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 21, 2019

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Just glanced at the credits, only name I recognized right away was Johnny Yong Bosch as Toji.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I just skipped ahead to the start of EoE.

RIP “I’m so hosed up”.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

They'll have to have cut 'so hosed up.'
You would be right. Like you said, a lot of the delivery/translation here seems way too formal.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

it has been a long time since i've sat down and just watched the first episode of EVA. It makes such a good first impression, honestly. The Angel's design is great, the whole first episode is very cinematic, and the stakes are immediately very high and very obvious.

edit: but i was literally watching 2.22 an hour ago to kill time until Netflix dropped it and whoever said that Shinji and Misato's VAs sound like they're just doing impressions of the OG actors is dead on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
they removed fly me to the moon.

gently caress this trash