Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vehementer posted:

Wonder if the translator (@dankanemitsu on twitter) is going to have any kind of say about this.

I'd expect radio silence... this is bad but nobody is going to acknowledge it, and I sure as hell ain't signing an online partition about it.
I'm not gonna harass some dude on twitter but like, there's no way anyone with even a six months of community college knowledge of Japanese would tl it as anything other than love, and certainly not something as insanely awkward as 'worthy of his grace.' If anything that line's a double mistranslation, since Kaworu is speaking in a general sense with that line. That's the point of the scene. He isn't saying Shinji is worthy of Kaworu's love, he's saying Shinji is worthy of love, period. Then he uses suki, the infamous like/love word, which I can get translating it one way or the other. But the first bit of that scene, the 'worthy of ___' bit, is unambiguously him saying that Shinji is deserving of romantic love.

It's incredibly basic.The only explanation is intentional omission, either by the translator or by some sort of editor.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vehementer
Sep 24, 2006

All Singing All Dancing!

Endorph posted:

I'm not gonna harass some dude on twitter but like, there's no way anyone with even a six months of community college knowledge of Japanese would tl it as anything other than love. It's incredibly basic. The only explanation is intentional omission, either by the translator or by some sort of editor.

yes, please don't harass the bad man... I am wondering if he'll say anything - If anybody is going to say anything..... they got paid already so why would they care

I guess this is why they didn't release any trailers with the new voice lines tho... they must know this is bad internally

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vehementer posted:

yes, please don't harass the bad man... I am wondering if he'll say anything - If anybody is going to say anything..... they got paid already so why would they care
I mean, it's entirely possible this wasn't the translator's call. Plenty of stuff in translation gets changed by people with no knowledge of Japanese, or no knowledge of English, and this is such a fundamental, obvious mistake, and the line is so insanely clunky, that I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case here.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Yeah, I just checked, no Fly Me to the Moon for credits on either English/Japanese track. Are you loving kidding me? Trash.

The whole Kaworu like/love debacle is embarrassingly bad, too. What a disappointment.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

new dub sucks, so what

where's 4.0

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

I never really noticed that when eva-01 'goes berserk' in episode 2, its anything but berserk. It's more like it's awake and knows exactly what to do to defeat the angel. Which fits in perfectly with what we learn later in the series. So good.

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006

Endorph posted:

I'm not gonna harass some dude on twitter but like, there's no way anyone with even a six months of community college knowledge of Japanese would tl it as anything other than love, and certainly not something as insanely awkward as 'worthy of his grace.' If anything that line's a double mistranslation, since Kaworu is speaking in a general sense with that line. That's the point of the scene. He isn't saying Shinji is worthy of Kaworu's love, he's saying Shinji is worthy of love, period. Then he uses suki, the infamous like/love word, which I can get translating it one way or the other. But the first bit of that scene, the 'worthy of ___' bit, is unambiguously him saying that Shinji is deserving of romantic love.

It's incredibly basic.The only explanation is intentional omission, either by the translator or by some sort of editor.

https://twitter.com/dankanemitsu/status/1142082024586399744?s=19

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

" not in a position to refer specifically to the decision involved in the scene you described" seems rather telling.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I honestly can't believe how little emotion the Actors are showing. It's like Netflix showed them a clip of the old dub on youtube and went "Do that, but sound more bored".

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

" not in a position to refer specifically to the decision involved in the scene you described" seems rather telling.

There were a couple follow up tweets that didnt really say much. Mostly about the importance of inferring emotion.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

darealkooky posted:

hosed up a dub that exists so they can avoid legal fees would avoid paying legal fees

Why would they be avoiding legal fees with a dub? I don't understand what that means

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It’s ridiculous they didn’t license fly me to the moon. gently caress off Netflix you pay Adam Sandler like 40 million you have the money.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A lot of the reactions justify Netflix dropping zero info until it hit last night. Because just imagine the pitchforks that other communities would have been gathering a week ago.

I'm no fan of the old dub (actually love the spanish dub of the time, felt less silly and less PS1 game) but it legit sucks that they butchered the ED and Kaworu/Shinji.

The remaster is gorgeous and in the right aspect ratio, though. Ugh.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

In Training posted:

Why would they be avoiding legal fees with a dub? I don't understand what that means
It means that Netflix spent the money to acquire the rights/fund a remaster, so they weren't interested in paying out royalties to the original Dub crew. So it's no surprise they weren't interested in paying licensing rights to to grab the Ending Song.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
So...how long until someone rips the remaster and pairs it with the original English dub?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I figured someone did that with the blurays years ago

E: yup in both 720p and 1080p

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/giantrobo/status/1142036825151721474?s=19

Anyway, I'm glad I have my old perfect collection and totally legitimate bluray files

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

It means that Netflix spent the money to acquire the rights/fund a remaster, so they weren't interested in paying out royalties to the original Dub crew. So it's no surprise they weren't interested in paying licensing rights to to grab the Ending Song.

Right but why not just , not have a dub.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

In Training posted:

Right but why not just , not have a dub.

Netflix knows that having it in a language people can understand will make it more marketable. A lot of people will watch a show they can listen to but not one they have to read along too.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Gone.
Gone.
Gone. "It must be an Anti-AT field."

lmfao whyyyyyyy

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Scyantific posted:

Wow they actually took out "Hit em again" ???? :argh:

For real, wtf

I was hoping to not have to care about this because I hate Netflix anyway and this is a big help. I wouldn't mind doing a re-watch someday but not like this NOT LIKE THIS.

Edit: any good links showing off the new transfer though? wouldn't mind seeing that

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 21, 2019

Vehementer
Sep 24, 2006

All Singing All Dancing!
I'm having a real hard time understanding some of these lines too..

Vehementer fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 21, 2019

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ritsuko doesn't sound like a middle-aged smoker and that saddens me

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

I mean, it's entirely possible this wasn't the translator's call. Plenty of stuff in translation gets changed by people with no knowledge of Japanese, or no knowledge of English, and this is such a fundamental, obvious mistake, and the line is so insanely clunky, that I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case here.

Well ADV apparently had to really fight with Gainax back in the day to make an understandable script so...

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

I just woke up a bit ago and saw some of the news and clips, how did Netflix gently caress this up so bad

It's because they don't give a poo poo dude.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mokinokaro posted:

Well ADV apparently had to really fight with Gainax back in the day to make an understandable script so...

This and the headache Funimation went through on the last movie is what stops from fully blaming Netflix or the dubbing studio for the quality of the new dub. I'd like to believe if a dedicated company had got the license or they had at least sent it to Bang Zoom to dub things would have turned out better but if a Japanese licensor is determined to meddle in an English adaption there's not much anyone could do to save it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's because they don't give a poo poo dude.

It's really weird because I would 100% believe this could have been purely a PR ploy where they figured all the hype of NGE coming to streaming would be a net positive from whatever paltry money/effort they spent on it.....buuuut then why bother with the re-dubs? Was that somehow cheaper than licensing all the stuff they lost?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Tiffany Grant said that they owned the rights to the old dub, but had no intention of using it. Take that for what you will.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I'm 7 episodes in and I just can't emotionally accept this new cast.

I know it's a script issue, but Jesus this thing is... Bland.

Also it's bugging me that they pronounce NERV as a German word. I guess it makes sense? Still sounds super weird

Vehementer
Sep 24, 2006

All Singing All Dancing!
lol.. the voice actor "piloting the ever".

"why did you use that take, you know the worst one" - Mr.Plinket

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's really weird because I would 100% believe this could have been purely a PR ploy where they figured all the hype of NGE coming to streaming would be a net positive from whatever paltry money/effort they spent on it.....buuuut then why bother with the re-dubs? Was that somehow cheaper than licensing all the stuff they lost?

The way I think it probably is is that there's just no concerted artistic vision for the whole thing because netflix is just a giant corporate monster. The nitty gritty of all these questions is probably pretty complicated in the sense that a lot of people and a lot of conflicting decisions were involved, but in the end it comes down to just no one in charge gives a poo poo.

I mean what is netflix. It's basically a financial entity that uses tv shows and movies to make money.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Well yeah but my question is, if that's the case, why go through any trouble at all? Just toss that poo poo up online and go.

Were the licensing issues on the music or something going to be more money/effort than a re-translate/dub?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Were the licensing issues on the music or something going to be more money/effort than a re-translate/dub?

It sounds like it was Gainax insisting on it based on what Amanda Winn Lee has tweeted.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/octillerize/status/1142096822464319488?s=21

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Marketing an anime known for its obscure story by making the script even worse? Bold move.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I would not be surprised if Gainax forced a new dub because they were still salty about the 3.0 English premiere incident and wanted to take an active hand to prevent any "mistakes."

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ship them a model prog knife with "no cuts" inscribed on it.

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006
What happened with 3.0? I know the official release took forever to come out but was there something else?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Hot take for anyone new coming in here:

imo if you want to watch Eva and not get annoyed, just watch the first two Rebuild movies, read some episode sum-ups of the last like 4-5 episodes of the TV show (wherever the 2nd movie ends, I can't really remember and the ending isn't the same as the ep it was based on anyway), then watch End of Evangelion.

If you enjoyed that then go ahead and watch everything else not included there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gainax is dumb as hell if they're trying to police English translations. It's one thing to correct a line to make sure the proper meaning is conveyed, it's another to do everything else they've been doing.

I'm still salty about 3.0