Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/OXlACID/status/1142081343926546432

and yeah the love thing seems like a company policy not an individual translator thing, so no point going after the english translator on twitter

Holy poo poo LMAO!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
edit: ugh, emptyquoted on accident

but since I'm here, what episode is that Kaworu cap from, I wanna see how they subbed it in PTBR

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

rofl clicked this guys account and noped at the pinned tweet :stare: jfc

Googled this dude and yikes

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/27/japan-urged-to-ban-manga-child-abuse-images

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Ah, here, I actually just skimmed 24 a bit and found it:

They kept "I love you" both in the subs and in the dub.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

whats up nerds, is there a list somewhere of translations of the on-screen text? watching this for the first time and i would like to know what the things say

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dias posted:

Ah, here, I actually just skimmed 24 a bit and found it:

They kept "I love you" both in the subs and in the dub.

Uh, maybe it's region-specific, then? This is what's on Netflix if I set it to Spanish (in the US):

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Basically, either Anno himself or someone high up at Gainax/Khara was in attendance at the US premiere of the 3.0 dub. They were apparently not familiar with how rowdy Americans can get in movie theaters, especially nerds at a nerd dedicated showing, so when the audience had crowd reactions to various scenes (including bursting into laughter at the piano sequence) it spooked the hell out of them. this, coupled with disagreement on some of the artistic licenses taken with the localization, caused Gainax to immediately demand that 3.0 be completely redubbed with a new script.
i remember seeing eoe premiere at a con and people cheered and hooted when shinji first strangles asuka. my friends and i were like, what is wrong with these retards

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
People really dislike Asuka, huh. And not in like a, "I don't like her character" but "I'm going to cheer when she gets strangled as comeuppance", huh?

When I first moved to Melbourne, there was a screening of 1.0 and 2.0 in the Japanese consulate in the CBD. Figuring it would be a way to meet new people (lol), I went. It was a small screening, but everyone was well behaved during. We even got to meet Yūko Miyamura, who lives in Melbourne! She heard there was a screening and decided to turn up with her kids! She joked that she had to take them out of the room when the movie started playing else they might see something that would scar them for life.

Anyway, some people are hosed up. Don't carry on during a cinematic viewing you philistines!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Uh, maybe it's region-specific, then? This is what's on Netflix if I set it to Spanish (in the US):

Oh, that's from the PTBR version, not the Spanish one. I was just wondering if everyone got told to "cut down on the gay".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
cheering Asuka's death is hosed up but if the piano scene in Rebuild isn't meant to be funny then I don't even know what to think

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Based on what the promotional rollout for this was like, people internally at Netflix definitely saw this disaster coming. I presume there's no Fly Me to the Moon because the licensor knew what they had and asked for a big number, which made somebody at Netflix big mad over so much $$ for a lesser known Sinatra song.

I also mostly believe the "Studio Khara meddled with the script to try to sanitize it" theory because that seems like simplest explanation based on the long history of shenanigans in anime localization. I wonder if we'll hear that the script and performances that made it past final edits were not the first attempts.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fabricated posted:

I figured that modern Eva discourse would be this but basically not ironic

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1133594327777779712?s=19

Well, I am starting to see takes like these, so...

https://twitter.com/brOrayn/status/1142182399285112833

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

:eyepoop:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

:hai:

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Shame that Netflix screwed this one up. Maybe they'll clean up the script once it goes to blu ray? Would hate to have it finally come on blu ray only to lack the old dub and have the subs remove any reference to Kaworus love.

Someone mentioned Funimation having to completely rewrite the dub script for EVA 3.0. Does anyone know what the old script was like? Been a while since I rewatched the dub but I vaguely recall the script being a bit stiff in places.

Unlucky7 posted:

The hell is this? Wow.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm not sure how you wrangle Pacific Rim in there.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
"Film critic hulk"

Truth be told, dub watchers, actually no, EVA fans deserve this

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Honestly anyone posting about it right now is either someone who has engaged with Eva before, someone who’s live-tweeting a watch, or someone who has no idea what they’re talking about. It’s gonna be like a week or so before we start getting takes from people who watched it for the first time and sat with it a few days.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
how did tiny studio platinum games get fmttm for worldwide release in bayonetta but media megacorp netflix couldnt

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

These takes are really the Dark Souls of Film Critics.
https://twitter.com/_TronVin_/status/1142080715414298624

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

Motto posted:

I'm not sure how you wrangle Pacific Rim in there.

I remember with the first Pacific Rim Trailer people were totally thinking it was some sort of US Eva movie. Hell the tagline fits more with Eva then Pacific Rim Proper.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I like this thread, it's worthy of my grace

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/jennyyangat/status/1142132321870594048?s=20

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

:perfect:

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Whens the criterion blu-ray for EoE

E:

so I guess it was just the japanese side loving up the localization :ms:

Dred Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 22, 2019

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Mods please change my name to Four-Eyed Crony, TIA.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Asuka shoulda just called Mari a fuckin nerd

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Awhile back Netflix did a dub, then quietly replaced it with a different one after some time. I forget what show it was though.

Maybe they'll do that (and give the script a new pass) for this one. probably not

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

a kitten posted:

Awhile back Netflix did a dub, then quietly replaced it with a different one after some time. I forget what show it was though.

Maybe they'll do that (and give the script a new pass) for this one. probably not

The show was AICO. It lead to Netflix saying that only these dub studios can dub for Netflix shows to the production company.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I’m watching the first ep right now, and the Dub honestly sounds fine. I really don’t get what the complaints are.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Droppin in to say the new dub is real bad. Is this an experimental text-to-speech algorithm to generate dubs but version 1.0 doesn't know how to speak in anything but monotone?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lol if they have the rights to the original why can't they offer them as an audio option? Music stuff?

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Nyeehg posted:

Someone mentioned Funimation having to completely rewrite the dub script for EVA 3.0. Does anyone know what the old script was like? Been a while since I rewatched the dub but I vaguely recall the script being a bit stiff in places.

I saw Evangelion 3.0 when it got a limited release in theaters with this original 3.0 dub. What came out later on BluRay is different.

I don't think there was anything particularly WRONG with it. What stands out most in my memory was how nearly every single one of Kaworu's lines came across like a double entedre. Almost like it was poking fun at Kaworu's perceived homosexuality. And you better believe lines like "double entry system" got huge laughs from the audience I saw it with.

That bit of frustration aside, I'm not exactly an expert on what goes on in translating a Japanese language script in to spoken English, but I can offer my speculations. Evangelion 3.0 was a huge divergence from the established Eva formula and my impression is the English language line producers pretty much had to work out for themselves what to do with the ambiguities presented by the new confusing scenario. Anyone from the Japanese side of things was probably not forthcoming, unwilling to clarify, or simply didn't know the intent behind some decisions.

What we got were interpretations of the characters primarily informed by the mannerisms of the actors that had voiced those characters in English for nearly twenty years at that point. Shinji was extra whiny, Asuka was extra bitchy, and Kaworu was extra gay. Despite my hyperbole, I think the actors did a good job on that first dub and nothing really stands out in my mind as particularly awful.

What is clear is that some at Khara objected to it. While we'll probably never be certain on the reasons, the Funimation BluRay got delayed again and again while the Japanese and English sides went back and forth on "fixing" the dub. Some one earlier speculated that the US fan reaction to the film frightened Khara representatives in attendance and I think that's a reasonable speculation. You don't want people nervously laughing at THE GAYS when Shinji and Kaworu's interactions in that film represent one of the most heartfelt and sincere relationships in the entire franchise. Sometimes nerds will be nerds and there's no accounting how certain members of your audience are going to react.

My two cents. I'm mostly a subs guy so take my speculation on dubs with a grain of salt.

e: Tiffany Grant's above statements are on point. Sometimes these studios mettle in matters that they don't know anything about and you get an inferior product. I remember one her lines referring to Shinji from the original 3.0 dub: "He's not a brat. He's an rear end in a top hat." Expertly delivered.

Console Role Player fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 22, 2019

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/BlasterNation/status/1142107157216804864?s=19

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
read that as mostly a subs gay at least 3 times

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

is that 3.0 OG dub still floating around?

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Not to my knowledge. Rotting away on a hard drive at Funimation HQ.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The_Rob posted:

I’m watching the first ep right now, and the Dub honestly sounds fine. I really don’t get what the complaints are.

It’ll become more apparent in episode 2. When you get to the more comical scenes you’ll notice they just don’t work thanks to the lovely script.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

J-Spot posted:

It’ll become more apparent in episode 2. When you get to the more comical scenes you’ll notice they just don’t work thanks to the lovely script.

I just got to episode 3. It’s really not bad at all.