Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006

Capntastic posted:

Is the original English voice cast locked in for the last Rebuild movie or what?

Spike spencer put up a blog post congratulating the new VA on taking on the role. In the tweet replies he mentioned he'd be glad to return for the last rebuild film but wanted to focus on celebrating the new crew for the time being. I imagine nothing's set until that movie is actually finished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Capntastic posted:

Is the original English voice cast locked in for the last Rebuild movie or what?

Like it's ever coming out.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
excessive mechanical nonsense is part of the charm of 90s era scifi :allears:
another part of the charm is having crazy advanced tech, made possible with clunky rear end 90s computers and floppy disks. It's incredibly goofy and anachronistic, I love it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Capntastic posted:

Funimation will probably have to compete with Netflix for the rights. Even if they get it who knows if they’ll have the autonomy to stick with their cast.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

J-Spot posted:

Funimation will probably have to compete with Netflix for the rights. Even if they get it who knows if they’ll have the autonomy to stick with their cast.

I doubt it. The huge sticking point for a company getting the EVA rebuild rights was wide theatrical showings and I doubt Netflix sees the value in doing that.

That being said, I mean Netflix could be throwing so much money that it makes any talking point irrelevant, but I’m placing my bet on Funimation getting the last one.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I haven't watched the Rebuilds in English, but I do hope they keep the current English dub voice actors. Can't stand anyone else being Asuka :smith:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zeruel posted:

Can't stand anyone else being Asuka :smith:

Neither can Tiffany Grant...

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
line changes not withstanding the dubs acting seems fine - acceptable to me

except Nearv

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I know everyone else already figured this out like, years ago, but considering I've known a ton of the spoilers from this series for years, I can't believe I never put it together that the LCL is a metaphor for Amniotic Fluid.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Wow. One of Misato's most important scenes is cut, likely due to the music licensing issue.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mokinokaro posted:

Wow. One of Misato's most important scenes is cut, likely due to the music licensing issue.

Which?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Probably when she gets Kaji's voicemail, there's an instrumental of fly me to the moon playing iirc

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
At least the most important scene is just as it should be.
https://twitter.com/esselfortium/status/1142603439987404800

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/octillerize/status/1142096822464319488

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

So what are we supposed to call this: Netflix Genesis Evangelion or Neo Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Midjack posted:

So what are we supposed to call this: Netflix Genesis Evangelion or Neo Neon Genesis Evangelion?

poo poo Seiki Evangelion

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006

esselfortium posted:

At least the most important scene is just as it should be.
https://twitter.com/esselfortium/status/1142603439987404800
Didn't notice the user name was the same. Thank you for shining a light on this gem.
https://twitter.com/esselfortium/status/1142588272809566210

Kosume Shezaki fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 23, 2019

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Midjack posted:

I've been calling it "Netflangelion", mostly because it's really fun to say

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

did I hear correctly that the netflix dub got rid of this??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-HgKRAtXaI

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if the name pronunciations are hosed too then this really is a redux of what happened with the persona 5 localization

allegedly the japanese team were hovering over the localizers' shoulders at all times, forcing them to keep it "proper"

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

(Non) Neon Genesis Evangelion

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

if the name pronunciations are hosed too then this really is a redux of what happened with the persona 5 localization

allegedly the japanese team were hovering over the localizers' shoulders at all times, forcing them to keep it "proper"

Yeah I mean you wouldn't make an American say "München". They'd say Munich!

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
For what it's worth, I listened to the phone call I hate you scene, and the voices don't sound too bad. Bu5 also sounds like KHARA was all up in their asses about specific and strict voice acting, so I can't fault the VAs.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Blaziken386 posted:

did I hear correctly that the netflix dub got rid of this??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-HgKRAtXaI

yeah it's "Lukewarm." now

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

shame on an IGA posted:

yeah it's "Lukewarm." now
wow, thats extremely bad

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m almost done with my view through the new dub, and... Between the info being posted here and getting used to it, I’ve cooled down a bit from my initial impression. This dub is serviceable, but it’s so abundantly clear that the studio basically strangled it harder than Naoko did.

I really do hope that the backlash is enough to convince them to be as hands-off as they used to be going forward, though.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Brazilian dub is pretty loving solid so yeah get bent silly gringos :smuggo:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

I’m almost done with my view through the new dub, and... Between the info being posted here and getting used to it, I’ve cooled down a bit from my initial impression. This dub is serviceable, but it’s so abundantly clear that the studio basically strangled it harder than Naoko did.

I really do hope that the backlash is enough to convince them to be as hands-off as they used to be going forward, though.

Given this is the same studio that held 3.3 hostage for, what, four years because their fan-antagonising movie antagonised the fans and led them to go full MST3K on the piece at the earliest opportunity?

Yeah, I wouldn't bet too hard on that.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 23, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Evangelion was invented by a Japanese trickster god to make sure that nobody is happy. Not the fans, not the creators, not the distributors, not the voice actors new and old

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
This dub has made me the lowest of the low

:smith:

Good job Anno and your third children.

Miching Mallecho fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 23, 2019

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Blaziken386 posted:

wow, thats extremely bad

It's even more awkward than that. It's more like

*shot of their feet in water*

"The water is lukewarm."
"Agreed"

It's really loving bad

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xander B Coolridge posted:

"The water is lukewarm."
"Agreed"

It's really loving bad

lmaoooooo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Xander B Coolridge posted:

"The water is lukewarm."
"Agreed"

It's really loving bad

Oh my gods what.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I don't know Japanese but it's likely a more literal translation of the line? One that is likely based on cultural more about saving face or something.

Point is that in English it just. Does. Not. Work. It's an incredibly awkward line.

E: I just rechecked. The subtitles say "The water is lukewarm." but the dub has Fuyutsuki just say "lukewarm."

Still weird

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 23, 2019

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Console Role Player posted:

I saw Evangelion 3.0 when it got a limited release in theaters with this original 3.0 dub. What came out later on BluRay is different.

I don't think there was anything particularly WRONG with it. What stands out most in my memory was how nearly every single one of Kaworu's lines came across like a double entedre. Almost like it was poking fun at Kaworu's perceived homosexuality. And you better believe lines like "double entry system" got huge laughs from the audience I saw it with.

That bit of frustration aside, I'm not exactly an expert on what goes on in translating a Japanese language script in to spoken English, but I can offer my speculations. Evangelion 3.0 was a huge divergence from the established Eva formula and my impression is the English language line producers pretty much had to work out for themselves what to do with the ambiguities presented by the new confusing scenario. Anyone from the Japanese side of things was probably not forthcoming, unwilling to clarify, or simply didn't know the intent behind some decisions.

What we got were interpretations of the characters primarily informed by the mannerisms of the actors that had voiced those characters in English for nearly twenty years at that point. Shinji was extra whiny, Asuka was extra bitchy, and Kaworu was extra gay. Despite my hyperbole, I think the actors did a good job on that first dub and nothing really stands out in my mind as particularly awful.

What is clear is that some at Khara objected to it. While we'll probably never be certain on the reasons, the Funimation BluRay got delayed again and again while the Japanese and English sides went back and forth on "fixing" the dub. Some one earlier speculated that the US fan reaction to the film frightened Khara representatives in attendance and I think that's a reasonable speculation. You don't want people nervously laughing at THE GAYS when Shinji and Kaworu's interactions in that film represent one of the most heartfelt and sincere relationships in the entire franchise. Sometimes nerds will be nerds and there's no accounting how certain members of your audience are going to react.

My two cents. I'm mostly a subs guy so take my speculation on dubs with a grain of salt.

e: Tiffany Grant's above statements are on point. Sometimes these studios mettle in matters that they don't know anything about and you get an inferior product. I remember one her lines referring to Shinji from the original 3.0 dub: "He's not a brat. He's an rear end in a top hat." Expertly delivered.
I've been thinking about this and honestly I can see where Khara are coming from. The original dub has a lot of issues and scenes which were entirely serious and earnest in the original show are basically just in-jokes in the English-speaking community due to how the dub was handled. I can see why someone at Khara would see it as a piss-take and be offended. It is certainly a shame that their meddling has led to all kinds of new problems though.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
This dub no me cae bien

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Here's the "lukewarm" scene dubbed. It's... not great.
https://twitter.com/esselfortium/status/1142793711547539456

edit: I wish I could embed tweets without it also embedding the tweet above it that was already posted...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
oh my god i thought you guys were kidding

like "lukewarm" was a joke about how they toned down Kaworu's line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
He said I was worthy of warmth.

Is there a good way to play any of these weird Eva video games in English on a PC?