Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Blaziken386 posted:

I only saw "yeah it's about depression and human relationships and hopelessness b/c of lovely adults, and so on and so forth" because of a random twitter thread I saw like a year ago
I feel like the vast majority of Eva stuff in the 00s was the "Symbology of Eva" "Theology of Eva" "Conspiracies of Eva" type fan decoding, where they tried to explain away all the kabbalah and ancient namedrops.

It makes sense that the view around the series evolved as its fans aged, and were less likely to be drawn in by sick/cool names, and more sensitive to the interpersonal messages and conflicts.

Ritsuko is a big honkin' signal flare to that stuff because there's the whole hacking the Magi episode that just explores her terrible relationship with her mother.

bare bottom pancakes posted:

Speaking of Gunbuster, I find the two shows very similar in concept
Yeah, it's interesting that Gunbuster addresses the cost of keeping the world safe is the worldly attachments/relationships they treasure, because the very nature of their journey means that years/decades are lost -- the pilots give a very symbolic chunk of their lives for the greater good, and they do it willingly.
And in Eva, well, the kids are forced into this trauma by various unhealthy means, and it's just a lot of "this is cool, you should love this, you need to be better".

Also really love how Gunbuster 2 ends and that they managed to make an amazing sequel several years later amd with an completely different tone.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Nadia is pretty interesting because it is this amalgamation of Battleship Yamato, Lupin III, Captain Harlock, Ghibli, and Anno's own trademark stuff. As the series goes along, Anno comes more into his own, although the final arc feels a bit rushed and way too many episodes were wasted on bad filler.

Besides his trademark stuff (design, love of mechanics, people shouting orders, shot selection, framing, blocking), Anno recycles a lot of key dramatic moments from Nadia in Evangelion.

The biggest difference I noticed, however, is just how many legs Anno kicks out from under the table in Evangelion. Jean, the deuteratagonist in Nadia, is unrelentingly positive and supportive of Nadia; there's no one like him in Evangelion. Captain Nemo is the stoic father figure with a heart of gold, but in Evangelion we have Gendo. Electra, the first mate, is basically Misato mixed with Ritsuko, but whose insecurities never really get in the way. The comic relief characters (basically, Team Rocket) provide a lot of levity in Nadia that is almost entirely absent in the back half of Evangelion, as well as providing Nadia, Jean, and Marie with guidance and friendship. The kids are never expected by the adults to perform miracles. They're on a cool submarine and they go on adventures and stuff, not stuck in a simulacrum of a city.

KaptainKrunk fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 24, 2019

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Not mine, but funny:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
so, episode 24 certainly... happened.

I had assumed kaworu was gonna be like, from episodes 24-26, but nope, just all at once, zero to one hundred, okay

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Blaziken386 posted:

I had assumed kaworu was gonna be like, from episodes 24-26, but nope, just all at once, zero to one hundred, okay

:byewhore:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Blaziken386 posted:

If you want a longer, harder, more virle Kawrou experience, read the manga.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just, uh... Maybe make sure to cuddle with any pets you may have after you do read his introduction.

Manga Kaworu’s kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

AH SO THIS IS SHINJI PILOT NUMBER 2?
AH YES HE IS THE THIRD CHILDREN AS OUTLINED IN THE MARDUK REPORT COMISSIONED BY SEELE FOR OUR ORGANIZATION, NERV.
THEN THAT MUST MEAN THE DOOR OF GUF HAS TRANSUBSTANTIATED THE EXEGESIS OF THE DEAD SEA SCROLLS

*audience* :hmmyes:

I kid, but yeah there's a layer of words words words there for people to pick apart. At the end of the day they just give more color to the things going on, being that Old People suck, violence and trauma are intergenerational (possibly Universal depending on how you see the Angels), a guy that mourned for his wife derailed the ultimate FYGM by a cadre of elites, and a socially stunted boy finds out that people are cool but they can hurt you and sometimes it's worth the hurt.

Anno, Gainax and the lot were good Big Robot folks... just watch Gunbuster to see them at their best. I can't say that Eva parodies those for sure, given the scuttlebutt about the midseries financial and mental health drama.

yeah it's part of the charm, just saying that it's understandable why people would be confused as to what the hell is going on when gendo and moreso SEELE can't spend 5 seconds without unhinging his/their jaw and unleashing a torrent of nonsense nouns

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Covok posted:

If you want a longer, harder, more virle Kawrou experience, read the manga.
oh, no, I have no real intention of doing that, I'm satisfied by what I got with the anime. He just seemed a little rushed is all - from hello, to flirting, to admittance of love, to weird conversations with the seele council to the sudden attack with 02 all within 10 minutes. Given how much I'd seen of him beforehand, I'd just expected him to be more of an actual character.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Don't worry dude you'll get more Kaworu content in the Rebuild movies

E: I'm on episode 10 right now and watching the show and just paying attention to the character details more than the general Evangelion lore stuff has been much more eye opening for me. I guess since I'm a bit older now I have some more patience and really appreciated episodes like Episode 4 way more this time around.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 24, 2019

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm watching it with a pal who hasn't seen it before and, boy, it's pretty obvious that Anno abruptly changed tracks during the production of Episode 14 or whatever. It's interesting watching through the 'happy arc' where Shinji's starting to come out of his shell and knowing it's all about to come tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down. It's interesting that, of the whole cast, Kaji seems to be the one person with their head on straight.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I'm watching it with a pal who hasn't seen it before and, boy, it's pretty obvious that Anno abruptly changed tracks during the production of Episode 14 or whatever. It's interesting watching through the 'happy arc' where Shinji's starting to come out of his shell and knowing it's all about to come tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down. It's interesting that, of the whole cast, Kaji seems to be the one person with their head on straight.

he DID personally deliver the keys to the apocalypse to gendo so maybe not so much

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

just started EoE and christ, I'm so glad I chose to watch the dub when I started this series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MidPbMjpnFM

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
One thing that's stood out during my rewatch is there's a strange focus on damaging characters eyes. Rei has a bandaged eye first time we see her, shinji has his eye attacked during the first fight, and I haven't rewatched EOE yet but Asuka gets her eye mangled too.

Maybe it'll make more thematic sense as I get through the rest of the series.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There are a lot of little repeated visuals that the show uses to convey an idea or feeling -- Shinji clenching and unclenching his hand any time he's not sure if he can go through with something being the most obvious example, or how the moon over water is Yui's calling card even if you don't actually see her.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Eyes are how you see other people and the outside world, helpful for human interaction but not entirely necessary. Glasses are a big thing too since they help you see things at the cost of slightly obscuring your own expressions to others. Misato and Kaji wear sunglasses a lot, Gendo obviously, and the extreme example is Lorenz.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
One of the biggest difficulties in treating depression is the lack of a clear, undisturbed mental vision of the world. It could be a sort of visual metaphor for that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

KaptainKrunk posted:

Nadia is pretty interesting because it is this amalgamation of Battleship Yamato, Lupin III, Captain Harlock, Ghibli, and Anno's own trademark stuff. As the series goes along, Anno comes more into his own, although the final arc feels a bit rushed and way too many episodes were wasted on bad filler.

Besides his trademark stuff (design, love of mechanics, people shouting orders, shot selection, framing, blocking), Anno recycles a lot of key dramatic moments from Nadia in Evangelion.

The biggest difference I noticed, however, is just how many legs Anno kicks out from under the table in Evangelion. Jean, the deuteratagonist in Nadia, is unrelentingly positive and supportive of Nadia; there's no one like him in Evangelion. Captain Nemo is the stoic father figure with a heart of gold, but in Evangelion we have Gendo. Electra, the first mate, is basically Misato mixed with Ritsuko, but whose insecurities never really get in the way. The comic relief characters (basically, Team Rocket) provide a lot of levity in Nadia that is almost entirely absent in the back half of Evangelion, as well as providing Nadia, Jean, and Marie with guidance and friendship. The kids are never expected by the adults to perform miracles. They're on a cool submarine and they go on adventures and stuff, not stuck in a simulacrum of a city.

If anything it's Nadia who's a brat for a great deal of that show if memory serves rightfuly enough.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Blaziken386 posted:

I just watched this for the first time and yeah- parts of the series felt extremely padded out (like everything with the school friends, which was terminally boring) then some really important parts like Kaworu’s whole thing felt super rushed.

I usually don’t have an interest in anime, but this hooked me in with the Lovecraft angle. I liked it, even if it kind of sent that stuff to the background. The adult parts were great, and I really liked all the adult characters. The male gaze was super gross!

Shinji reminded me of my college roommate who was generally nice but would spend all his money on weed because he was depressed, then be too ashamed to tell us he couldn’t make rent so we wouldn’t find out until we got an eviction warning.

Asuka was really sympathetic to me, and I’m sad she didn’t get a better ending, or less ear splitting voice direction. Rei was ok, but drawn in a super creepy way.

I don’t really have thoughts on the story right now. I liked both endings, and I’m glad the one from the show was fleshed out a little more in the movie, especially since it went hard on the whole elder gods angle that the show kind of left by the wayside.

Edit: what was with the penguin? That remains the most mysterious part for me

UnbearablyBlight fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 24, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The penguin is a normal person witnessing anything that ever happens in Misato's apartment and noping out.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
He's a hot springs penguin, what is there to get.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the world in Evangelion has gone through massive global warming, one of the polar ice caps literally exploded and if it hadn't the melting would have done for it anyways, Pen Pen is probably the leftovers of some kind of last-ditch effort to save penguins by genetically engineering them to live in warming climates

or what Milkfred E. Moore said, if that's too depressing

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Oh, duh, what was I thinking.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The implication that Evaworld has sufficient bioengineering skill to just make a Penguin suited for hot springs kind of surprises you when, 10 episodes later, you see a bodyfarm of Eva parts.

Like yeah sure they can make biomechanoid giants no problem but wait Hot Spring Penguin? Too much, man. Too much!

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

The penguin represents the future of animal life adapting to a hot, flooded earth ruined by people. In the sequel he is an ark that everybody hides in. Pen pen is Noah.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://twitter.com/evangelion_co/status/114308137625985433

"Opening 10 minutes and 40 seconds of Evangelion 4.0 will be revealed on July 6th, 2019"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'll believe it when I see it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/CanYouPetTheDog/status/1143179052196552705?s=19

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

DC Murderverse posted:

i bought EoE when I was in middle school and loaned the disc to someone who proceeded to keep it and move to Washington, assuredly in an effort to keep the disc.

Of course, i still have Death/Rebirth...

wish that I could turn back time, ‘cause now the guilt is all mine...

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

One thing that's stood out during my rewatch is there's a strange focus on damaging characters eyes. Rei has a bandaged eye first time we see her, shinji has his eye attacked during the first fight, and I haven't rewatched EOE yet but Asuka gets her eye mangled too.

and Asuka gets her mind attacked via a beam to the eyes and then gets her face and eye pierced by a lance in EoE before being eviscerated Edit: I missed that you said that.

And the angels are in various cases eyelike/eyeshaped, or are animal/humanoid with big eyes/ eye shaped patterns on them, or are abstract, inhuman figures with eyes as often the only relatable characteristics. Some have one big eye and others are covered in eyes. Angels also often get attacked/shot/stabbed or killed through these eyes.

Shinji avoids eye contact with others much (most) of the time. Pretty much any time somebody makes eye contact with him it’s their agency overcoming his, either as an aggression or challenge to him (Asuka, Misato) or as a moment of connection/intimacy (Rei, Kaworu, Kaji). There’s a saying that eyes are the gateway to the soul. They’re the means by which humans express emotion and generate intimacy and relationships. Eye contact is how we convey both trust and aggression in a basic sense, and it’s a form of communication that we share with many animals across species and genera. Try making eye contact with a stranger or a dog or bird or cat next time you’re out.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 24, 2019

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

imo it's another way of addressing what "Absolute Terror fields" is trying to get at, especially near the end when they're talked about in a more psychological and philosophical sense. It's about characters and enemies having their complete last barrier of self/perception/soul, etc. breached and the terror and pain that comes along with it.

Edit: Dogs make eye contact all time tho. The thing is if you're a stranger or are giving them a bad vibe they just don't like doing it for a long time because they feel like you're trying to challenge them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the penguin represents a penguin and the eyepatch represents an eyepatch

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
And that concludes our intensive 4 week rewatch

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

IIRC, there was some theory or other that Pen Pen was an extremely early prototype or proof of concept of Project Eva.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think Pen Pen is actually just an alternate form of Kaworu.

Notice how you never see them in the same room together?

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

If anything it's Nadia who's a brat for a great deal of that show if memory serves rightfuly enough.

Maybe in the island arc, which wasn't done by Anno and is generally regarded as - outside of a few moments - pretty useless when it comes to character building or moving the plot forward. She's only a "brat" otherwise in the sense that she doesn't want anything to do with this, she doesn't like people hurting animals to eat them, she doesn't like killing even bad guys, and she doesn't think people should be sacrificed even if it means saving others. She's much more active in her resistance to the world of adults than Shinji, and generally handles things a lot better thanks to the aforementioned support system.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/1142522035752583168?s=19

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
FLAWLESS VICTORY

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
episode 19 trip report: AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
There's also the SEELE logo with its seven eyes, that's a lot of eyes, certainly more eyes than I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Do they not show third impact in the original show? Showing it my wife for the first time and went from Kowaru dying to Shinji instrumentality mind stuff.

I guess it’s jumbled up with the movies in my mind.