Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Paradoxish posted:

This was always going to happen, though.

Like, all the bullshit about being on the cusp of the greatest wealth transfer in history is exactly that: bullshit. Retirement is expensive. End of life care is exceptionally expensive. And this is without even getting into the fact that many people intentionally save for retirement specifically so that they can spend that money on all kinds of frivolous stuff. As a society, we managed to take some objectively good concepts (you shouldn't have to work until you die and you should get to enjoy your life) and implement them in just the worst way imaginable to create the ultimate FYGM generation.

Greatest wealth transfer to the rich from everyone else. I kind of wonder if there is such a huge fight to keep insurance making money in the US because the people who are in power for these companies know that if they can just hold on the current bullshit system for another 2 decades at most then they will capture all of the boomer wealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

jeeves posted:

Greatest wealth transfer to the rich from everyone else. I kind of wonder if there is such a huge fight to keep insurance making money in the US because the people who are in power for these companies know that if they can just hold on the current bullshit system for another 2 decades at most then they will capture all of the boomer wealth.
Nothing so long term or coherent. They're looking at their next quarter, what would change about that if the law was altered, and at how much lobbyists cost. That's the beauty of the system - it's perfectly self perpetuating with no conspiracy needed.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
clearly none of y'all use tinder

90% of women ages 25 - 45 include their "love to travel" and the # of "stamps in my passport" in their profile. most of their photos (and usually linked instagram) are a series of selfies in front of tourist destinations.

its not a boomer thing, it won't go with them.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I've only been out of Michigan three times, twice to Ohio over 15 years ago and I've been told I was taken to Canada once as a baby too young to remember. I'm doing my part :cool:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

StabbinHobo posted:

90% of women ages 25 - 45 include their "love to travel" and the # of "stamps in my passport" in their profile. most of their photos (and usually linked instagram) are a series of selfies in front of tourist destinations.

It will go with people 20+

Not by choice I expect.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

StabbinHobo posted:

I mean, most people who can afford to do it actually do enjoy traveling. It's one of this thread's weird quirks that so many posters insist that traveling actually sucks and no one likes it. People should take OOCC's posts as educational, because he's actually pretty representative of how defensive people will get over the idea that they aren't going to be able to travel as much anymore.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Shima Honnou posted:

I've only been out of Michigan three times, twice to Ohio over 15 years ago and I've been told I was taken to Canada once as a baby too young to remember. I'm doing my part :cool:

We're responsible-by-proxy for the continued existence of the big three though, sharpen that pitchfork comrade.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I don't have the luxury of such frivolous activities so whatever.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think poo poo is gonna get super interesting when the boomers get to the age that they need assisted living to do daily living tasks but no one can really afford to give them any.

Everyone loves to travel and experience new things but you don't need to go on multiple international vacations a year. The "let's all drive around Australia in a circle perpetually" is some next level Boomer poo poo.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 24, 2019

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I mean honestly at this point democracy and environmentalism are not compatible, people will never support the substantial reductions in living necessary to keep the planet sustainable.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Tab8715 posted:

Every boomers dream is to spend retirement traveling seeing friends, family and the rest of the world.

well yeah because that sounds awesome. traveling the world for fun used to be the exclusive privilege of the extremely wealthy. traveling and seeing cool poo poo and eating neat food is fun and i don't begrudge them wanting to do that. the bullshit is that they ignore the actual cost of it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Chuka Umana posted:

I mean honestly at this point democracy and environmentalism are not compatible, people will never support the substantial reductions in living necessary to keep the planet sustainable.

I’d wager most people want stop climate change. Its this minority in control is literally destroying our democracy to keep their own interests continuing.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I should've elaborated more when I said substantial reductions in living. I didn't mean we'd all have to revert to hunter gatherers or pre-modern standards of living, but we would have to evaluate some of the things we take for granted in western societies, like having huge armies, or enjoying low taxes. I honestly wouldn't mind giving away the majority of my salary if I knew it was going to helpful programs and environmental sustainability, it's just the boomers that are the problem.

loving boomers.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

I’d wager most people want stop climate change. Its this minority in control is literally destroying our democracy to keep their own interests continuing.

The populations of liberal democracies want a lot of things, but if they're ever asked to make tradeoffs that involve some level of financial sacrifice (or, for that matter, the "sacrifice" of living in diverse communities), they inevitably balk. Even if we completely MMT our way through total electrification & renewables and don't raise a dime in taxes, the lifestyle changes required in denser housing & reduced mobility will be talked about as intolerable.

Or not! I might be wrong!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Admiral Ray posted:

well yeah because that sounds awesome. traveling the world for fun used to be the exclusive privilege of the extremely wealthy. traveling and seeing cool poo poo and eating neat food is fun and i don't begrudge them wanting to do that.

That’s the biggest thing I don’t get about this thread. There’s nothing inherently wrong with Grandpa who’s worked his whole life and saved enough for a Alaskan Cruise with his wife.

I don’t get why the default assumption over travel or really any hobby that emits carbon would be “They’re a lovely rich person doing superficial things!” :kingsley:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Tab8715 posted:

Yes, but they don't want to pay for it or make any sacrifices.

"Do you care about climate change?" and "do you want to stop climate change?" are totally meaningless questions and not even worth talking about.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Flip Yr Wig posted:

The populations of liberal democracies want a lot of things, but if they're ever asked to make tradeoffs that involve some level of financial sacrifice (or, for that matter, the "sacrifice" of living in diverse communities), they inevitably balk. Even if we completely MMT our way through total electrification & renewables and don't raise a dime in taxes, the lifestyle changes required in denser housing & reduced mobility will be talked about as intolerable.

Or not! I might be wrong!

Most younger generations literally want higher density housing because the single family homes aren’t practical for reasons - cost and traffic.

But realtors, contractors, renters, etc. make more building, selling, etc. single family homes so they create secret political campaigns to stop any change in zoning laws.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Yes, but they don't want to pay for it or make any sacrifices.

"Do you care about climate change?" and "do you want to stop climate change?" are totally meaningless questions and not even worth talking about.

let me tell you about gerrymandering, the Republican Party and our current POTUS.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paradoxish posted:

I mean, most people who can afford to do it actually do enjoy traveling. It's one of this thread's weird quirks that so many posters insist that traveling actually sucks and no one likes it. People should take OOCC's posts as educational, because he's actually pretty representative of how defensive people will get over the idea that they aren't going to be able to travel as much anymore.

yea that's whats sent me down a solar/electric flying and boating rabbit hole the last few months. its really much farther than your armchair sky grover internet engineering expert would tell you.

some examples:

The Sunseeker Duo is a 2-passenger motor-glider with solar cells:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46A01oukux0

The Silent 2 Electro is a similar powered/self-launching electric glider without the solar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mppqfb8HpyM

The Solar Stratus ... well its its own thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXYQbEg5vKw

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

If you want to travel jump on a containership. It'll take longer, but the marginal emissions will be near zero. Several of the lines will still let you book a stateroom.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chuka Umana posted:

I think it's more like democracy and capitalism are not compatible because despite a clear public outcry or mandate to do something the capitalists use their wealth to capture government and instead do whatever they want which is just to orient all of society and economics towards making their high score go up.

I feel like except for a very vocal minority of shitheads most people do recognize disaster looming and want to do something about it but just feel powerless because they know that their vote doesn't mean dogshit actually because despite who gets elected the same puppet strings pull 99% of the politicians in office.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

I think it's more like democracy and capitalism are not compatible because despite a clear public outcry or mandate to do something the capitalists use their wealth to capture government and instead do whatever they want which is just to orient all of society and economics towards making their high score go up.

Economic externalities are a hell of a thing. And a “growth” based economy cannot go on forever.

Moridin920 posted:

I feel like except for a very vocal minority of shitheads most people do recognize disaster looming and want to do something about it but just feel powerless because they know that their vote doesn't mean dogshit actually because despite who gets elected the same puppet strings pull 99% of the politicians in office.

Individually, our votes are meaningless but actual elections do happen and aren’t based off of one person. I get the skepticism but do you really think big oil is pumping money into cc denial for the fun of it?

No, because they want John to either vote for their candidates or become confused so he stays home on Election Day.

Hell this is biggest problem with cc advocates. Driving an EV, vegetarian, not flying, etc. is all well and good but real change will come from public policy. So go freaking vote.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

StabbinHobo posted:

If there is one thing that might go away with the Boomers, it's the relentless optimism, denialism, and arrogance. There must be something about growing up in a golden age that makes people psychologically incapable of letting go and accepting a new and diminished status quo.

The younger generations seem to be more jaded about the future and less constrained in imagining what will come and what will be necessary to deal with it.

I know that those in power prefer that the different generations resent each other rather than banding together and coming for them. I still can't keep myself from hating the Boomer cohort.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Tab8715 posted:

lol tell me how many people would support the platform of forced non-dairy vegetarianism with one round trip intercontinental flight allowed every 20 years.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Here's a nice paper that's been doing the rounds recently, if anybody is interested in some light reading.

https://www.mdpi.com/2076-3263/9/6/251/htm

Understanding the Permafrost–Hydrate System and Associated Methane Releases in the East Siberian Arctic Shelf
Natalia Shakhova, Igor Semiletov, and Evgeny Chuvilin

Spoiler: things are not better than you thought they might be.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

plushpuffin posted:

I know that those in power prefer that the different generations resent each other rather than banding together and coming for them.
i have high hopes for the collapse of the aged care system, there has to come a point where they can't blame millennials for it anymore

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

lol tell me how many people would support the platform of forced non-dairy vegetarianism with one round trip intercontinental flight allowed every 20 years.

We haven’t decided any of this... at all but as someone who travels all the time, loves seafood, the beach, etc. I’d vote for this person.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

nankeen posted:

i have high hopes for the collapse of the aged care system, there has to come a point where they can't blame millennials for it anymore

Judging by the latest flu season I'm surprised no one is advocating getting sick and then hanging out with older voters at this point.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

jeeves posted:

It's amazing how boomers are going to blow all of their money and leave nothing to their kids. Like, not even as in like-- climate. I'm talking pure cash.

What's also amazing is that money is not "gone" at all-- it is all funneled upwards to ever concentrated wealth to the ultra-rich that own the airlines or cruise ships that these fucks spend their time on. Or of course the people who own insurance companies where they really will be blowing most of their money trying ever so desperately to claw a year or two of watching more Perry Mason or Law & Order re-runs in a hospital room out of their life before the inevitable death.

I just want to retire (yeah, right) and ride my bicycle from cafe to cafe (after I relocate to a sane nation).

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
The capitalist class haven't realized how much money could be unlocked through infrastructure rebuilding and energy efficiency like redoing power grids.

Denser housing as well could produce hundreds of billions of dollars worth of construction, we'd have to completely transform America's urban landscape and push more people toward's the city center.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Chuka Umana posted:

The capitalist class haven't realized how much money could be unlocked through infrastructure rebuilding and energy efficiency like redoing power grids.

Denser housing as well could produce hundreds of billions of dollars worth of construction, we'd have to completely transform America's urban landscape and push more people toward's the city center.

You’d have winners and loser in this scenario and that’s the hold up. Realtors are now selling $250k condos instead of $500k homes. It goes on and on...

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

nankeen posted:

Millennials Aren't Having Kids. Here's Why That's A Problem For Baby Boomer Real Estate & Retirement

Boomers stuck with houses that won't sell (especially homes along the coast or in flood plains) will most definitely blame millennials for playing video games instead of getting jobs, paying taxes, and buying their property when they're ready to move into retirement homes.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

I think poo poo is gonna get super interesting when the boomers get to the age that they need assisted living to do daily living tasks but no one can really afford to give them any.

That's when we'll pass a sweeping series of ironclad filial support laws.

We won't have money for the survival domes as a result, but at least some folks will get rich off of fully automated luxury end of life care.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Insanite posted:

That's when we'll pass a sweeping series of ironclad filial support laws.

We won't have money for the survival domes as a result.

There's a novel by Nancy Kress called Maximum Light, in a future with declining birthrates. The setting is very similar to that of Children of Men. One scene from the book has a small child carrying am old person doll, to condition her to care for her elders when she grows up.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I already told my parents that I'll return them to the sea when they are ready to retire.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

plushpuffin posted:

Millennials Aren't Having Kids. Here's Why That's A Problem For Baby Boomer Real Estate & Retirement

Boomers stuck with houses that won't sell (especially homes along the coast or in flood plains) will most definitely blame millennials for playing video games instead of getting jobs, paying taxes, and buying their property when they're ready to move into retirement homes.

quote:

Boomer Seller: The town has great schools.

Millennial Buyer: I don’t have kids.

Boomer Seller: The house has three bedrooms. My husband and I have enjoyed it for years.

Millennial Buyer: I live alone…with my dog cat.

Boomer Seller: Well, there is a big, wonderful yard for your dog to play in.

Millennial Buyer: It’s a very small dog an inside cat.
Today I learned that I am literally a millennial article stereotype.:v:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Admiral Ray posted:

I already told my parents that I'll return them to the sea when they are ready to retire.

Will warming seas be able to accept as many parents as they did in the past?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Admiral Ray posted:

my mother has asked me to do this of her own accord, but she was born just after the official end of the boomer generation so is officially cool

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

plushpuffin posted:

I'm trying to convince my parents to sell their rental property in Virginia Beach while it still has value. My mother wants me to ~inherit it~ so I can sell it at the current valuation and not what *they* bought it for way back in the early 80s.

No matter what I do I can't convince either of them that waiting is not in their best interest. I made the mistake of sending my mother a link that showed the house would still technically be above ground up to a five foot sea rise, but she chose to completely ignore the fact that when the sea level rises, so does the water table, and when the soil is effectively *sand*, as it is in that area, your supposedly-still-above-ground house has probably sunk several feet into what's likely become marshland, and the roads are likely impassible.

Boomers are like the adults of Derry in "It." They can't/won't see the clown because it won't kill *them*, and have been corrupted to the point of aiding It.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Admiral Ray posted:

well yeah because that sounds awesome. traveling the world for fun used to be the exclusive privilege of the extremely wealthy. traveling and seeing cool poo poo and eating neat food is fun and i don't begrudge them wanting to do that. the bullshit is that they ignore the actual cost of it.

Wasn't there a paper saying basicly all of human endeavor is a net loss? We are not good at anything but grave robbing.