Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The validity of trigger warning isn't up for debate in this thread. Everyone is expected to afford people with different mental health needs respect and accommodation, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just call it a Content Warning like people did for decades, drat.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

VH4Ever posted:

My books didn't warn me. I sound like an old man right now, I know, but I don't think future books ought to. It should be loving blunt, accurate, horrifying. That's what "never again" is supposed to mean.

One of the most effective pieces of shocking journalism was The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, it didn't have trigger warnings either. I'm not saying that history books need them, either. When you were taught in school about the holocaust, you were likely told explicitly by people you trusted that some of the subject matter was going to be rough. I understand your point of view, in that some people will remain indolent until shocked to some kind of action, but what you're advocating to do here is only going to upset a lot of people who already agree with you to the point where they disengage.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The President censors his own briefings so he doesn’t hear bad news, he probably hasn’t even heard about the concentration camps.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

fool_of_sound posted:

No please do put pictures of dead kids behind trigger warnings.

looks like we got one more reason FOS is a counterrevolutionary

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

HelloSailorSign posted:

No, seriously, gently caress off.

There are any number of people who that kind of poo poo can send off into anxiety disorder land, PTSD, or suicidal tendencies.

You want to throw that poo poo at like, The_Donald or CNN or Fox because they're full of folks who don't give a poo poo? Great, go for it.

Most people here give a poo poo, and they already give a poo poo, and they don't need to see dead kids to continue giving a poo poo. The distance between most posters here is decidedly small.

I'm only responding to a post like this one this last time, since I already said what I'm about to say once: I get it. I have my own mental health issues. I buried my stepbrother. I get it. OK? And this forum's mods won't allow those pics to be put up here no matter what I think. So calm down. I was responding to the other side of what I felt like that post I linked was saying without meaning to: that it's easier to turn away. That's a general sentiment. I'm saying for all of us as citizens, if you can bear it, look at the pictures. It's important.

fool_of_sound posted:

The validity of trigger warning isn't up for debate in this thread. Everyone is expected to afford people with different mental health needs respect and accommodation, thank you.

Was never my intention. If it seemed that way I apologize. Anyway I've said enough on this subject.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Mantis42 posted:

There is no reason to still have a FB account.

Strictly for getting people to come to gigs, there is no better alternative at the moment(I guess we could be good LOL). I seriously had it disabled until I got a new band formed.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

More than one of us here has confessed to being pushed to the edge by all the poo poo we're going through. Shoving pictures of dead kids in their faces isn't going to make them more engaged or effective as an ally in this environment. No, people shouldn't be afforded the luxury to ignore what's going on, but neither should they be totally broken by it either.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

fool_of_sound posted:

Forum rules require not safe for work content to be spoilered, in addition.

You all have been warned.

New USPOL OP sometime later tonight.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

There Bias Two posted:

More than one of us here has confessed to being pushed to the edge by all the poo poo we're going through. Shoving pictures of dead kids in their faces isn't going to make them more engaged or effective as an ally in this environment. No, people shouldn't be afforded the luxury to ignore what's going on, but neither should they be totally broken by it either.

I agree with this too.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

Forum rules require not safe for work content to be spoilered, in addition.

You all have been warned.

New USPOL OP sometime later tonight.

start coming up with good titles for summer

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

VH4Ever posted:

I was responding to the other side of what I felt like that post I linked was saying without meaning to: that it's easier to turn away. That's a general sentiment. I'm saying for all of us as citizens, if you can bear it, look at the pictures. It's important.

I think even if you can't bear it it's still important to face it. It's just that in this scenario we can't provide any kind of after-care for people who would need it, so the self-selection opportunity is important to mitigate that fact. Your opinion isn't like, evil or anything, you're approaching it from the right angle, as far as I'm concerned. There are just a lot of externalities and life can be hard enough for some people without "surprise! dead kid!" loving up what little control they feel they have.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Harton posted:

Strictly for getting people to come to gigs, there is no better alternative at the moment(I guess we could be good LOL). I seriously had it disabled until I got a new band formed.

yeah i use it for

- event stuff, most notably but not limited to signal boosting animal shelter events to the maximum number of people
- messaging with a fairly large number of people for whom i have no alternate contact info
- cat pictures

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1143645400815083520
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1143651539048906752

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Party Plane Jones posted:

USPOL SUMMER - America’s Caucasian Tire Fire

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

As I said I don't think we should look away and I don't want it to not be posted because we do have to face what is going on, but I spent ten minutes sobbing on my desk over that picture and I am already as against this poo poo as I can possibly be. She was loving FOUR. She was hugging her dad when she drowned, just... I can't, okay? If I pick up a book about the Holocaust I know I'm going to look at bad poo poo and I'm prepared for it. I did not expect to see that scrolling through this thread.

Just put it behind tags so people can read about it happening and choose the level of exposure they can handle. That's all I'm asking.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Harton posted:

+1

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Harton posted:

I like this.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Harton posted:

I posted this on Facebook and it got immediately deleted.

So the I reposted this pic saying Facebook supports white supremacy. Comments got interesting and apparently saying “white trash” will get immediately removed as well.

Caucasian tire fire is ok though.

If anyone cares, the trick is that facebook's banning rules are absurdly simplistic and mechanical. There is a set of protected categories like race, religion, gender and orientation and any insult towards a protected category is always banned. So "men are trash" is near instabanned because it's an insult at a protected class (a gender). But anything that is a subdivision is never banned no matter how awful the subdivision is. So saying "those ugly blacks need to get out of here" will never get a ban on facebook on the hilarious idea that "ugly blacks" are not a protected class (or women drivers or mexican children or pretty much any adjective you throw in).

So if you wanna punch up just throw pretty much any adjective in and it'll be unbannable. With the only bans ever going out for insults towards pure protected category combinations. So saying "stupid white women" (race and gender) will get you banned but "stupid white women suck" won't. I don't think it's purely a computer run algorithm and I think they have some human mods, but that is the basic formula for getting away with anything or getting always banned.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

My wife and I are about to start the process for becoming foster parents to help some poor kid that gets caught up in this meat grinder. It's a bit of process, and scares the hell out of me, but I can't do nothing in the face of this evil.

If you have the ability to care for a child, in any capacity, please look into foster care. These children need help, and will need major assistance being reunited with their families.

This is seriously an important thing - for anyone who can - to do. We even have a thread for it in Ask/Tell: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785900&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
Of course fostering is a huge responsibility and a lot of work, and emotionally draining, and etc., but the system absolutely needs more loving homes.

Having said all that, I don't know how foster placement works for refugee children or whether there is any crossover with "standard" public and private foster care agencies.
This seems like it might be a good place to start:
https://www.acf.hhs.gov/orr/programs/urm/about

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I keep trying to get banned by taking a photo of the “your post is offensive” and reposting it with “Facebook supports white supremacy” but haven’t been banned yet. I posted that “Mark Zuckerberg is white trash” in the comments section of that post and it got immediately deleted. Then I posted “Mark Zuckerberg is a Caucasian Tire Fire” and that seems to be up still.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Harton posted:

:emptyquote:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Harton posted:

I keep trying to get banned by taking a photo of the “your post is offensive” and reposting it with “Facebook supports white supremacy” but haven’t been banned yet. I posted that “Mark Zuckerberg is white trash” in the comments section of that post and it got immediately deleted. Then I posted “Mark Zuckerberg is a Caucasian Tire Fire” and that seems to be up still.

It pretty much is the sum total of the banning rules. insult a protected class only and you always get banned, modify it in any way or say anything else and you will virtually never get banned.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Well either way I requested reviews on them so hopefully they come read it and ban me already. Someone else in the band can manage the page. At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if someone stabbed me at a show because of all the poo poo I talk to regressive shitheads I grew up with when I do post something I find in this thread.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Rigel posted:

So quorum doesn't even matter then? It wouldn't pass the Senate? WTF did the GOP flee then?
Well see the thing is that the Democratic leader in the Senate is covering for the GOP. Obviously.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I vote

Quorum posted:

I mean, I know it's technically correct by the dictionary definition, but I worry that it would cheapen the analogy if we called them concentration lamps

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > USPOL Spring: It would cheapen the analogy if we called them concentration lamps

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Harton posted:

A clear winner.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

pacerhimself posted:

The entirety of the movement behind Donald Trump is about antagonism, so it's impossible that openly supporting him won't cause problems - it's about causing problems.

For example, this guy spent about $125 to get this custom Portland Timbers kit he debuted on Pride Night last weekend, sitting in the Timbers Army, on Pride Night.

https://twitter.com/msjolene/status/1142655733516816386?s=19

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Cruel's in for summer

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Koalas March posted:

Caucasian Tire Fire would be a great username tbh

Years ago when I still posted on vwvortex.com I had "kill whitey" in my signature until I was told I should change it. They never said anything about "extirpate caucasoids" though.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Harton posted:

Well either way I requested reviews on them so hopefully they come read it and ban me already. Someone else in the band can manage the page. At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if someone stabbed me at a show because of all the poo poo I talk to regressive shitheads I grew up with when I do post something I find in this thread.

Keep on man. Most of my band is the liberal, anti-war pro CBD and beyond type but our singer is old and gone religious after partying too hard decades ago. We play in a heavily religious, pro-Trump area of Northeastern LA and I'm surprised we don't get more crap for the things we poat

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Ershalim posted:

It's not about wanting to look away, it's about psychological health. The purpose of a trigger warning isn't to coddle people; it's to respect that different people have different thresholds of being functional in certain scenarios.

Seeing that photo has made me feel depressed. I have a kid that age. I’m about to burst into tears.

Please spoiler tag it :(

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Did they put darker makeup on Pence?

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1143678007950790657

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

If the Democrats had any goddamn loving spines they would line the Halls of Congress with that photo like loving abortion protestors outside a Planned Parenthood

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm going to be very annoyed if Caban doesn't win this Queens DA race.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 26, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Mueller to testify publicly July 17th before House Judiciary, per CNN.

This lady is with ABC News.

https://twitter.com/KFaulders/status/1143686621063254017?s=19

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Mueller to testify publicly July 17th before House Judiciary, per CNN.

https://twitter.com/RepJerryNadler/status/1143685672148131840

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Does this mean we'll be embroiled in a war with Iran on the 16th?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Almost Smart posted:

Does this mean we'll be embroiled in a war with Iran on the 16th?

It means we'll be embroiled in a court fight over whether the White House can order him not to testify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Robillard/status/1143505423460438016

https://mobile.twitter.com/Robillard/status/1143507045095788545