Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
He looked extra dumb (or at least dumb in a new way) when he did the media bias shtick to bail on an interview with loving Andrew Neil, but not sure they're related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

cool kids inc. posted:

Did Ben Shapiro do anything in excess of his normal stupidity to merit this showcase of attention recently? This is longer than Cody's usual Showdy, but it's pretty solid.

Some alt-righters publicly took a big poo poo on him for being a neocon over Iran, so his blood is in the water.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Comes right after Philosophy Tube took a dive into Shapiro thought as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2PAajlHbnU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

All these "deep thinker" alt right gateway guys seem to have the same trap that when they get wounded dipping one leg too far into the alt right side then the alt right is too happy to rip them up for having the other leg too far into the "mainstream" side.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

STAC Goat posted:

All these "deep thinker" alt right gateway guys seem to have the same trap that when they get wounded dipping one leg too far into the alt right side then the alt right is too happy to rip them up for having the other leg too far into the "mainstream" side.

A school of pirahna's will enthusiastically feed on any wounded/bleeding member of their community.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

cool kids inc. posted:

Did Ben Shapiro do anything in excess of his normal stupidity to merit this showcase of attention recently? This is longer than Cody's usual Showdy, but it's pretty solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDMjgOYOcDw

This was a fun watch. I didn't expect to kill that amount of time, but that was a pretty good takedown and synopsis of Shapiro's schtick. This also had me Googling Shapiro's violin playing because of the clip that starts at around 1:00:40, and now I've seen some things I don't think I can ever unsee.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Does anyone have a link to the full interview with Shapiro in the BBC constantly owning himself? I've seen like one or two clips, but I know he has to have more stupidity than just that.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zipperelli. posted:

Does anyone have a link to the full interview with Shapiro in the BBC constantly owning himself? I've seen like one or two clips, but I know he has to have more stupidity than just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VixqvOcK8E

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Just remember that Andrew Neil is a Tory scumbag and shouldn't get any respect for making Shapiro look like a tool.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ATP_Power posted:

Just remember that Andrew Neil is a Tory scumbag and shouldn't get any respect for making Shapiro look like a tool.

Oh come on, we can hate the big, lovely monster, and still be happy when the big, lovely monster shits on the tiny, bit just as lovely monster. They all verbally pee.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Oh come on, we can hate the big, lovely monster, and still be happy when the big, lovely monster shits on the tiny, bit just as lovely monster. They all verbally pee.

For sure, but when that interview first aired a bunch of people were valorizing Neil when he's just as lovely as Shapiro.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Thanks for this. God, Shapiro is such a schmuck.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ATP_Power posted:

For sure, but when that interview first aired a bunch of people were valorizing Neil when he's just as lovely as Shapiro.

It's a combination of ignorance and people being proud he'd reached "stopped clock" levels of correctitude.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

ATP_Power posted:

I don’t know about this guy, but it seems like if he’s calling out the fanatical nature of anti-abortion politics in this country then by definition he’s better than Shapiro, at least a little bit.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Neil is insanely lovely and was throwing softballs, Shapiro just can't handle even mild probing of his ideas from someone trying to give him a platform to expound on them.

So he just ended up making fun of him not because Neil is good but because Ben made such an rear end of himself it was irresistible.

zynga dot com
Nov 11, 2001

wtf jill im not a bear!!!

A dossier and a state of melted brains: The Jess campaign has it all.

Piell posted:

Looking into it, pretty much.

This is my experience as well. My girlfriend is a professor and there are a few professors who belong to the Heterodox Academy who make her life pretty difficult. In particular, any attempts at advocating for actual diversity are met with “b-b-but what about diversity of thought?” They’re exactly who you think they are.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

VitalSigns posted:

Neil is insanely lovely and was throwing softballs, Shapiro just can't handle even mild probing of his ideas from someone trying to give him a platform to expound on them.
Yeah it's impossible to understate just how much of a layup Bennie was being given there. Dude was giving him the critique so he could worm out of it with something like "allowing the death of innocents is barbaric, we are taking a stand for decency sir".

Instead Slappy there decides BBC Mans must be a commulibtard and tries to deflect, doing so poorly that he insults the interviewer who just decides to put the dumb American in his place. 5 minutes of google and it would have been a different outcome.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

zynga dot com posted:

This is my experience as well. My girlfriend is a professor and there are a few professors who belong to the Heterodox Academy who make her life pretty difficult. In particular, any attempts at advocating for actual diversity are met with “b-b-but what about diversity of thought?” They’re exactly who you think they are.

Good to know. I tried reading one of the articles from the Heterodox Academy website, and immediately there was someone feeling oppressed for not being able to speak their mind unopposed on the topic of confederacy statues. For context, I have a friend who suddenly started having some pretty weird opinions (“we need to understand the far right”, “the left are dangerous”), and he cited the Heterodox Academy as a major factor in his “awakening”.

This article describes him to a tee:

https://medium.com/s/story/we-need-to-talk-about-reactionary-centrists-f0e6f8c4d58

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

neil being an ultraconservative shithead makes shapiro's performance worse. it also shows what an absolute joke our media is that a right wing garbage person can call another conservative out better than our own "liberal" media.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/us/nra-nratv-ackerman-mcqueen.html

quote:

“Many members expressed concern about the messaging on NRATV becoming too far removed from our core mission: defending the Second Amendment,” Wayne LaPierre, the N.R.A.’s longtime chief executive, wrote in a message to members that was expected to be sent out by Wednesday. “So, after careful consideration, I am announcing that starting today, we are undergoing a significant change in our communications strategy. We are no longer airing ‘live TV’ programming.”
:rip:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
You left out the best part:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Keeshhound posted:

You left out the best part:

The rude Gravel teens, Hogg and the rest of March, kids are so goddamn good at social media

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAHgGsrdXyM

R.I.P.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

The Shapiro interview that blew up is super confusing as well because once Shapiro starts thinking Neil is left leaning, he goes into full on, "How DARE you sir! I REFUSE to debate someone with bias!" mode. But, like, isn't Shapiro's whole gimmick that he debates leftists to "destroy" them? Why would he be so afraid in that interview?

I know the answer is "because he's loving poo poo at actually debating and just claims victory after making an rear end out of himself", but I don't see how a Shapiro supporter could watch that and not question why he immediately folded.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Reading tea leaves, but: Shaprio was fresh off of a bad showing with Sean Illing at Vox right before this interview (i.e. couldn't defend massive and obvious holes in his argument), and I think he had pre-decided to play the media bias victim card if things started to go south in a similar way.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 26, 2019

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

The funniest thing about this is that you know the overwhelming majority of the audience that eats this kind of poo poo up are soft-handed suburbanite Gen X-ers/Boomers who drive an F-250 to go work at a desk all day in accounting somewhere.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Most of the Nazis got banned, migrated to 4/8chan/Reddit, or have taken to lurking.

Its honestly refreshing. A lot of Bernie bros here, but whatever. Also, I’ve noticed in other forums a lot of trolls nazis. Take Mac rumors. A huge amount of nazi pro trump bots in their political forum.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I, for one, am shocked that the forum for overly expensive, gaudy, and poorly-functioning-to-mediocre products also attracts a ton of Trump fans.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Biff Rockgroin posted:

The Shapiro interview that blew up is super confusing as well because once Shapiro starts thinking Neil is left leaning, he goes into full on, "How DARE you sir! I REFUSE to debate someone with bias!" mode. But, like, isn't Shapiro's whole gimmick that he debates leftists to "destroy" them? Why would he be so afraid in that interview?

I know the answer is "because he's loving poo poo at actually debating and just claims victory after making an rear end out of himself", but I don't see how a Shapiro supporter could watch that and not question why he immediately folded.

shapiro's fans are dumbasses. in most of the videos where he "destroys" a college student, the student makes a better argument than him or shapiro is obviously less informed on whatever subject they're talking about.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Shapiro's the dude who does ambush interviews and man on the street bits where he Gish gallops straight to hell and the shock of getting a full insurance presentation instead of a human argument is interpreted as being destroyed.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Recently had reason to hang out with an old regressive buddy of mine that considers himself an intellectual heavyweight. He started talking about how cool it was that he could watch videos by intellectuals on YouTube and I was like "motherfucker you're talking about Jordan Peterson, aren't you". Yes.

Nearly fell off my chair laughing when yes, of course he was also referring to Ben Shapiro. But even he realized that interview was a bad look.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

LionArcher posted:

Its honestly refreshing. A lot of Bernie bros here, but whatever. Also, I’ve noticed in other forums a lot of trolls nazis. Take Mac rumors. A huge amount of nazi pro trump bots in their political forum.

Oh nooooo, not that

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

DrNutt posted:

Oh nooooo, not that

brenie bros??? where???

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Reddit finally quarantined /r/the_donald over advocating for Oregon State senators and militias to shoot cops, so expect that to be a topic of discussion.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

PJOmega posted:

Reddit finally quarantined /r/the_donald over advocating for Oregon State senators and militias to shoot cops, so expect that to be a topic of discussion.

they were also talking about murdering Trump's DHS secretary for not killing enough immigrants LOL

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

I am amazed it lasted so long.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I mean they didn't actually do anything to the community except make them click one more time and jack up their CSS. Completely toothless.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
"I'm ok with racism and intolerance, I draw the line when it comes to making threats against the people that enforce racism and intolerance."

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

HiroProtagonist posted:

"I'm ok with racism and intolerance, I draw the line when it comes to making threats against the people that enforce racism and intolerance."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Relentless posted:

I mean they didn't actually do anything to the community except make them click one more time and jack up their CSS. Completely toothless.

You can't get them in search results either apparently, and you can no longer subscribe at all.