Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
ripple sucks and stands are cooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

well yeah, but the spin is cool as hell and goes well with stands in part 7

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah but the spin is a spin, which is much cooler

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hamon's too vague. it is capable of pretty much anything except when it isn't.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the let's read has gotta happen

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Baal posted:

Yeah but the spin is a spin, which is much cooler

Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning, this is true.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9XrrEaZ7Y4&t=178s

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Mr. Funktastic posted:

So is the Golden Wind anime in danger of skipping Sleeping Slaves? There's only 4 eps left and I'm not sure if it's enough given the pacing so far.

Rolling Stone is literally the first stand in the ED, I think we're safe.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Sleeping sleeves would just need 2 episodes really but it seems like a weird end point, like it could have been an arc a little earlier on?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Brought To You By posted:

Still one of the harder abilities to work with but this madman surfer is committed if nothing else.

I went back to re-read the chapters with it originally, did Araki change how it works? Unless Ojiro doesn't need to actually "mark" all four limbs in order to control someone.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Surprisingly no, Araki is consistent. Fun Fun Fun gets control over any wounded limb the second the mark appears, it doesn't need all of them

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Expect My Mom posted:

Surprisingly no, Araki is consistent. Fun Fun Fun gets control over any wounded limb the second the mark appears, it doesn't need all of them

Welp, guess I should have re-read more closely. I always thought it needed to mark all four limbs, then once it does he has complete control over you. I'll admit I more or less skimmed it as a refresher, and to see if his character design stayed the same (it was tweaked slightly, mostly in the hair)

Torquemadras posted:

In part, I love part 8 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure because it reads like a mystery novel where the author constantly gets bored of where he's taking the plot, leading to absurd and wild poo poo that changes at the drop of a hat, and any constants that DO stay throughout the plot turn better and better, like granite cliffs worn down by a constant flood of bullshit until they become awe-inspiring monuments

I mean, we're honestly dealing with a wealthy fruit parlor owner's son making deals with the fruit mafia, while his crossdressing son, out of stress, causes people to lethally run into things on accident

Let the weak plot elements wither and die, I say, only the great ones will survive the great flood of bullshit

Yeah I dig this. It’s basically how Araki writes all his JoJo stories, just look at him dropping the Ripple, and Star Finger, and god knows how many other plot points throughout the series. Araki seems like he prefers to just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks, then just keeps rolling with that.

Unfortunately Araki hasn’t really written a long-running mystery in JoJo before, and it seems his style of storytelling doesn’t work well with that. Part 4 was set up kind of like a mystery, but the reader knows that the killer is Kira the entire time. There’s the earlier mystery of “who is Red Hot Chili Pepper’s user?” but that’s not really set up in any way where a reader could figure it out, it’s just “let’s search until we find him!” All successful mysteries in JoJo are on a short-term scale. “How does this stand work?” and “How can we beat this stand?” are the types of mysteries JoJo (and Araki) is great at, since they get solved within a few chapters. There’s no time for Araki to realize a plot element doesn’t work and drop it, because the fight will be over and done with by then. Thus Araki’s storytelling culling never gets to weaken the mystery itself, like it has with Part 8. How did Karera get the photo of Kira and Josefumi? Where the gently caress did she go? What happened to Holy, why is she gone from the family photo? Who was the blonde dude Josuke had a vision of? The gently caress even are the wall eyes? etc. In any previous part, it wouldn’t be a big deal if Araki dropped these plot threads, but since Jojolion is explicitly set up as a mystery, it kinda suffers from it since we never know if a new plot element is ever going to go anywhere. Is a new plot element or character ACTUALLY a clue, or is it just something that we’ll all forget about when it inevitably never shows up again?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

drat, I forgot about the blonde guy. maybe that's the 89-year-old (?!) man

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Welp, guess I should have re-read more closely. I always thought it needed to mark all four limbs, then once it does he has complete control over you. I'll admit I more or less skimmed it as a refresher, and to see if his character design stayed the same (it was tweaked slightly, mostly in the hair)

Yes, once he gets all 4 limbs he has complete control. But even without all 4 he still has control of the limbs that have been marked, just not the rest of the body.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Shhh, Soft & Wet

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
To be clear, I don't mind the general insanity of whatever mystery Araki is (or isn't) cooking up. The dude's always been a seat-of-the-pants writer and honestly it's served him well.

But minute-to-minute the bad guys and the fights that accompany them have been pretty underwhelming for me. A lot of these rock people aren't interesting, and the overabundance of automatic stands removes a huge chunk of what I've always found engaging about the fights in previous parts.

I checked out around Blue Hawaii so maybe it's improved since then, and the weirdness will always be there, and maybe the mystery will pay off in the end (or self-destruct in spectacular fashion), by that doesn't instill me with the need to stay on top of things from one month to the next.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/pkjd8I8/status/1144418786797166592

This is 100% Rolling Stone

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

edit: nevermind

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 28, 2019

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

rolling stone tv movie mother fuckers

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

1 hour epilogue of Diavolo getting owned.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Unless they’re adding a lot of new scenes I don’t see how you’d stretch Rolling Stones out to an hour.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

RatHat posted:

Unless they’re adding a lot of new scenes I don’t see how you’d stretch Rolling Stones out to an hour.

PHF BAYBEE

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
FUGO IN THE FOOTBALL STADIUM FUGO IN THE FOOTBALL STADIUM FUGO IN THE FOOTBALL STADIUM FUGO IN THE FOOTBALL STADIUM FUGO IN THE FOOTBALL STADIUM FUGO IN THE FOOTBALL STADIUM

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

There are four episodes left of the show, that seems like enough to cover the rest of the Diavolo fight and Sleeping Slaves.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm so confused

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fugo sucks

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Sugo fucks

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

A special epilogue episode for rolling stone makes sense. It won't be 1 hour long, more like 40ish mins plus commercial breaks adding up to 1 hour, so basically just 2 episodes which seems reasonable. Do we really have enough of the fight with Diavolo left to stretch it for a whole month until the airdate though?

I don't think PHF can fit in 40 mins unless a lot of material is cut and neither do I think my heart could take getting my hopes up about it.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 28, 2019

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
It's gonna be a recap episode and you all know it.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Live action pilot for Stone Ocean.

I'll take anything over more part 5.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Rolling Stone is good

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Rolling Stone is good

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sticky fingers was a good album yeah

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This final fight is a lot better than I remember, actually. I just didn't understand what the hell was going on in the manga, and now that I understand Requiem Stands just being the user's wish + how Chariot actually works, there are actual stakes to this part.

Also, i didn't remember Trish pulling off the arrow save with Diavolo at all; I thought that she did nothing at all outside of her one Stand fight and softening the bullets that were going to hit Mista.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
The final scene is a cut to Giorno and friends enjoying Disney World when suddenly time starts to speed up.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lamebot posted:

The final scene is a cut to Giorno and friends enjoying Disney World when suddenly time starts to speed up.

"Here the gently caress is Mick-"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Due to Disney's licensing demands, the Stone Ocean anime will instead change it to the much less expensive Universal Studios

WHERE THE gently caress ARE MINIONS

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

It was hard to really gel w this fight in the manga, too much happens and then has to be explained all at once, but the performances and execution gave it a lot of great new life and a sense of stakes. Keeping track of the different players and their abilities was actually p easy. Up until all the really WUT stuff starts happening, but that stuff is why I love this fight. It's basically Araki's dress rehearsal for the crazy endings he'd write in 6 and 7.

Requiem is really less a fight(up till the very end) and more a literal footrace between Good and Evil to grasp a shot a victory as the world tears itself apart. Stands have always had a real menace to them, and since part 4 the Arrow has been developed as this unknowable, impartial force w great potential for mayhem. And well, poo poo, now it may as well have its own Stand and is changing the laws of nature around it just to keep people away. Diavolo is a confirmed monster to the core, uncaring about the human race, his daughter, his own body, his own soul or even his other, much more likeable soul(RIP Doppio). And well, poo poo, now he's just inside one of their minds now. That's scary as poo poo. The fear of it threatens to destroy the heroes' iron determination and strength as a team.

And the only thing standing in his way from domination over existence aren't Jotaro and the SPW, who have no clue any of this is happening, but a pack of street rat mobsters, including his own kid who's sick of his poo poo, a guy who may as well be the son of the devil and a capo literally too rad to die.

Golden Wind owns.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I'm still not really feeling this fight but I still thought Doppio vs Metallica was great in the manga and the anime surpassed that sardinia arc by a fuckton.

I don't know why, but I just don't feel as emotionally invested in it. Might be Diavolo's characterization isn't as appealing here (in either the manga or anime) although I thought the Polnareff vs Diavolo confrontation was pretty good.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

To answer what you said in the other thread, the next part's second Stand fight is a convoluted Stand fight WITHIN a Stand fight. It really hits the ball rolling with ridiculousness and has at least 3 super convoluted situations/Stand fights within.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Expect My Mom posted:

Rolling Stone is good