Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Hexigrammus posted:

I'm a bit suspicious about biochar, possibly because my main exposure to it is through aging hippies certain it is THE ANSWER to everything. I haven't researched it to any extent but there seems to be a bit of dancing around the fact that pyrolysis is going to produce greenhouse gases on its way to charcoal.

Still, probably better to cut down our dead trees now and turn a fraction of the wood into greenhouse gases rather than let Mother Nature convert all of it into atmospheric carbon in one hot burn.

The context I saw it in, was taking all the trees killed by bark beetles (another consequence of climate change) and turning them into biochar.

A good question is, what do they use to power the pyrolysis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

"Take the full barrels"

Urge to pendant rising.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
So, a question I need to be answered related to the climate game I'm working on (and personally financing and giving the game away).

Assume a 4ºC rise in global temps (sure looks like we are heading there), what would the landscape look like (for example in Kentucky)? Would it be safe to assume that massive wildfires have already occurred?

I am already assuming institutional collapse and a massive die-off (see World Bank estimates). But I have to direct the art team on the visuals, so I could really use some advice.

Thank you.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I can't speak to what Kentucky will be like, but anecdotally and maybe useful for your art team:

I live in B.C. and we're already dealing with annual massive wildfires throughout the province. Outside the immediate burn area, the biggest impact is in air quality. We drove across the country last summer and there were smoggy days in Saskatchewan and Alberta as a consequence of fires happening in British Columbia behind the wall of the Rockies. Once we crossed in to B.C., it was patches of normalcy between areas of wildfire smoke. We encountered it the worst just west of Prince George. The highway was empty and visibility was terrible. This highway is a major artery and the lack of traffic was disconcerting. We didn't know if the highway had been shut down or if it was unsafe. For about an hour, we drove through a taupe cloud; we could see the trees on either side of the highway but we were totally unable to see the mountains around us. The smell of wood smoke was everywhere and you couldn't keep it out of the car. It was post-apocaylptic.

The burn areas looked more dramatic, but a lot of the province looked like those Beijing pollution pictures for a lot of the summer.

e.
Also, and it's kind of neat if also frightening, we've had some small fires this year already that are a consequence of the smoldering remnants of last year's fires that never quite extinguished, even after the winter snows.

just another fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 26, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
There's an idea. Take Ansel Adams' legendary landscapes and digitally alter them to what they'll look like after catastrophic climate change.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

VideoGameVet posted:

So, a question I need to be answered related to the climate game I'm working on (and personally financing and giving the game away).

Assume a 4ºC rise in global temps (sure looks like we are heading there), what would the landscape look like (for example in Kentucky)? Would it be safe to assume that massive wildfires have already occurred?

I am already assuming institutional collapse and a massive die-off (see World Bank estimates). But I have to direct the art team on the visuals, so I could really use some advice.

Thank you.

I live in the middle of a massive national park and over the past five or so years the number of species of bird I see has plummeted. Five years ago I'd expect to see (or hear) perhaps a dozen different species of the course of a day and now I'll see maybe half that if I'm lucky. So whether the forests are burned out or not I couldn't say - but I imagine they'll be silent.

If you're assuming institutional collapse I would show any forest near a population center as clear cut for firewood. As soon as gas or electricity stops people will start burning wood for fuel again.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FP6nHoF1uA

this might be an idea for post-climate apocalypse vehicles.

edit: I love the fact that the reporter sounds like he's being recorded over a telephone being held away from the mic.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 26, 2019

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

VideoGameVet posted:

Thank you.

If you ask this question in the 'Consequences' section of the Arctic Sea Ice forum (https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/) you may get an actual scientist's answer.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FP6nHoF1uA this might be an idea for post-climate apocalypse vehicles.

I'm thinking about bicycles. You can haul a lot of weight even if you have to push the bike even in poor terrain.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

VideoGameVet posted:

Thank you.

Decaying infrastructure and lots of tall grass. Forests with high proportions of dead/burned trees. No animals.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Mozi posted:

If you ask this question in the 'Consequences' section of the Arctic Sea Ice forum (https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/) you may get an actual scientist's answer.

Thank you!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There's an idea. Take Ansel Adams' legendary landscapes and digitally alter them to what they'll look like after catastrophic climate change.

That is an awesome idea.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure about using stolen art in a publicly released game even if it's altered. Or is Adams public domain ?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

unpacked robinhood posted:

Not sure about using stolen art in a publicly released game even if it's altered. Or is Adams public domain ?

Oh. I’m not interested in using it the game. I just think someone should do this.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

unpacked robinhood posted:

that would be a screamingly textbook example of fair use so maybe don't concern troll stuff you clearly know nothing about?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

Thank you.

I don't think wildfires are going to become much more of a concern in the Eastern woodlands than they are today, unless someone else has heard otherwise?

There's been a lot of modeling of what kind of changes to expect however.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/11/30/18117953/climate-change-maps-cities-2050

The dots and lines move based on how the climate is expected to shift. So in parts of the midwest and southeast you might expect wildfire severity to increase somewhat, but it probably won't be dramatic. On the west coast however, you're going to see a much more dramatic change to a drier climate. That change will be accompanied by large fires from which many forests will never recover, and instead they will be replaced with the flora of more southernly regions.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGameVet posted:

Oh. I’m not interested in using it the game. I just think someone should do this.

Nevermind then :)
I like the ideas you've been throwing around for the game and am curious about how it turns out.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

If someone does decide to use Ansel Adams photos, there are hundreds of them in the public domain anyways.

This might be a good starting point:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:2011_Ansel_Adams_donation_from_U.S._National_Archives

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Squalid posted:

I don't think wildfires are going to become much more of a concern in the Eastern woodlands than they are today, unless someone else has heard otherwise?

There's been a lot of modeling of what kind of changes to expect however.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/11/30/18117953/climate-change-maps-cities-2050

The dots and lines move based on how the climate is expected to shift. So in parts of the midwest and southeast you might expect wildfire severity to increase somewhat, but it probably won't be dramatic. On the west coast however, you're going to see a much more dramatic change to a drier climate. That change will be accompanied by large fires from which many forests will never recover, and instead they will be replaced with the flora of more southernly regions.

I'm going to model the game after a 4ºC rise. I think that changes the trend quite a bit.

So maybe there's a 10% chance the Permafrost and Methane Hydrides let go of substantial methane and we see this happen even before 2050, but as David Wallace-Wells says "would you get on an airliner that had a 10% chance of crashing?"

I'm thinking parts of the USA in a 4ºC scenario get close or even hit the 94ºF wet-bulb level.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i love how every year the science says "well based on our models x is probably going to happen with y being the worst case scenario" and then the next year its like "well, this year is even worse than y happening, now a is probably going to happen and b is the worst that will happen" and so on. Remember at the start of this thread reboot we were supposed to be optimistic and poo poo? We've come a long way. Nothing short of a complete re-organization of the entire human civilization can even put a dent in the damage we've done to the planet and the course we're set on, but people ITT still patting themselves on the back for recycling and planting flowers.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Haven’t seen too much of that straw man lately, actually.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Anyone in Ontario notice the disturbing lack of insects this summer? I haven't seen a single fly or bee yet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Can I share a climate change presentation with anyone to get some feedback? I’m presenting on Sunday so I have some time to make revisions.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

VideoGameVet posted:

Thank you.

East coast US at midlatitude should not see severe droughts. Expect more of a Texas gulf style climate: Humid subtropical but more hot and more humid. Hot and humid summers, rainy winters. Also expect it to have been hit by some catastrophic hurricanes. Mosquitoes galore too.

As you move from coastline to inland expect aridity to increase with things getting much worse near wherever the hell the hundredth parallel dry line has moved eastward to. Massive wildfires in the Appalachian region have probably already occurred and you should model a biome that doesn't support primary ecological succession past water-tolerant shade-intolerant shrubs and grasses. Maybe including alien species that thrive in fire ecologies (broom, juniper, bamboo) would be a good touch

Notorious R.I.M. fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 27, 2019

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Defenistrator posted:

Anyone in Ontario notice the disturbing lack of insects this summer? I haven't seen a single fly or bee yet.

I'm in Portland and I'm noticing the same thing. Haven't been out of the city this year yet(need to fix that asap lol) but I walk a ton and live in inner NE so there are a lot of gardens. Besides my neighbor down the street that raises honey bees I think I have seen 2 or 3 bees. Just two years ago I had bees flying in to my room a couple times a week. And we just had our NW flower season too.

I'm sorry for hating you most of my life bees it was a childhood phobia. Please come back!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Defenistrator posted:

Before I left North Ontario I posted about how I didn't see a single insect. Checked in with my buddy who stayed behind to run the farm and is big into canoeing, yeah, shits loving weird up there this year.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i love how every year the science says "well based on our models x is probably going to happen with y being the worst case scenario" and then the next year its like "well, this year is even worse than y happening, now a is probably going to happen and b is the worst that will happen" and so on.

This isn't an awesome take and I wish people would stop using it, because it really fuels the "see! science has been wrong before!" crowd.

Things are getting worse because there was always a wide range of outcomes and both the media and policymakers consistently chose the more optimistic ones while also consistently choosing to ignore the large number of known question marks. As the science has gotten better, we've narrowed the range of possibilities. The thing is, there was always good reason to believe that we'd fall on the less optimistic side of the spectrum, but that's one of those inconvenient facts that were conveniently ignored.

Climate change is a great study in how optimism bias and normalcy bias affect human risk management, and how those particular cognitive biases can be manipulated by bad actors who don't really give a poo poo about the future anyway.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rime posted:

Before I left North Ontario I posted about how I didn't see a single insect. Checked in with my buddy who stayed behind to run the farm and is big into canoeing, yeah, shits loving weird up there this year.

Has there been any good write-ups and charts of what all the insects (besides mosquitos which are flourishing) dying off is going to do? Like the ripples it would cause upward in both end of insect-based pollination and food chain collapse? It's obviously very loving bad with a lot of extinction like birds probably go extinct (except pigeons, gently caress pigeons), which they already seem to be doing, but it'd be interested to see what exactly will die and how that ripples upward in both the combination of loss of vegetation for others and subsequent prey.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

VideoGameVet posted:

I'm going to model the game after a 4ºC rise. I think that changes the trend quite a bit.

So maybe there's a 10% chance the Permafrost and Methane Hydrides let go of substantial methane and we see this happen even before 2050, but as David Wallace-Wells says "would you get on an airliner that had a 10% chance of crashing?"

I'm thinking parts of the USA in a 4ºC scenario get close or even hit the 94ºF wet-bulb level.

I look forward to catching this game (once I've worked out which bits of America correspond with the climate in my corner of Australia.)

On the subject of a game built around collapse and decay, there was an interesting interview with the designers of one of the Civilization games. They were hoping to include some more realistic "decline and fall" style elements, but appropriately enough discovered that players tended to disengage the instant their Numbers stopped Going Up. I think the latest AI may even have been programmed to avoid attack cities because for the majority of players, losing one city means an instant quit.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Xaris posted:

Has there been any good write-ups and charts of what all the insects (besides mosquitos which are flourishing) dying off is going to do? Like the ripples it would cause upward in both end of insect-based pollination and food chain collapse? It's obviously very loving bad with a lot of extinction like birds probably go extinct (except pigeons, gently caress pigeons), which they already seem to be doing, but it'd be interested to see what exactly will die and how that ripples upward in both the combination of loss of vegetation for others and subsequent prey.

We're hosed. The end.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Xaris posted:

bugs help plants gently caress

if plants can't gently caress, we're hosed

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Potato Salad posted:

bugs help plants gently caress

if plants can't gently caress, we're hosed

Nonsense! There's a wide variety of commercial snack foods which have virtually no natural ingredients.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Defenistrator posted:

After our ridiculously wet spring here in the Midwest (where some fields are still underwater) the number of mosquitos, whose population you’d think would have exploded, is just normal. The gnat population however is nuts. Driving my kid to camp in the morning it looks like mist over ditches along the side of the road but it’s not. It’s clouds and clouds of gnats.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 27, 2019

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Is there any reason to read The Uninhabitable Earth beyond "We're hosed and here's why"? Like, I know we're hosed and why, but is it just going to show me new ways we're hosed or does it have chapters on solutions or advocacy, stuff like that? I just listened to the David Chang podcast with the author and thought I should read this, but thought if it's all doom and gloom, I'm not sure what the point is for me?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

zenguitarman posted:

thought I should read this, but thought if it's all doom and gloom, I'm not sure what the point is for me?

If you are already convinced things are really hosed, then sitting around to read yet more evidence things are hosed to then say "things are hosed" to a bunch of people who know things are hosed is entirely pointless and lovely for your mental health as opposed to actually doing things which is mostly pointless but great for your mental health.

For an example, check out the last dozen or so pages of this thread, which is about 85%+ straight up miserywanking with ICUP predictions showing an increase to 95% within the year.

Once you accept things are hosed, they are hosed. Stop reading there and start doing things, lest you end up ":qq: now we are really hosed you guys :qq:" every drat day

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

DesperateDan posted:

If you are already convinced things are really hosed, then sitting around to read yet more evidence things are hosed to then say "things are hosed" to a bunch of people who know things are hosed is entirely pointless and lovely for your mental health as opposed to actually doing things which is mostly pointless but great for your mental health.

For an example, check out the last dozen or so pages of this thread, which is about 85%+ straight up miserywanking with ICUP predictions showing an increase to 95% within the year.

Once you accept things are hosed, they are hosed. Stop reading there and start doing things, lest you end up ":qq: now we are really hosed you guys :qq:" every drat day

This is some pretty great advice.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Idk fully inundating myself in the horror of what we're facing has made me more zen.

I've started a garden and have been trying to treat everyone better than before. I've been a better person imo.

On the other hand I have been going out shooting more often too. Surely that's unrelated to the onion article on climate change :getin:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

When you get the message, hang up the Alan Watts reference.

Marsupialization
Aug 14, 2015
Might as well start doing heroin if the situation is so hopeless.

But things could still change. It's a political problem more than anything. With the technology we have now we could at least keep certain parts of the world somewhat inhabitable and avoid extinction. But the politics are a problem. The ruling class is mostly ignoring it or just looting the system in preparation for what's coming. Also voters won't accept the changes required, most aren't even willing to pay another $100 per year according to one poll. So, basically liberal democratic capitalism has failed.

But lucky for us, there are other ways to organize society. Some kind of totalitarian eco-socialism could work. It could keep a good percentage of the world population alive if adopted. At a lower standard of living for sure, but if the alternative is just dying it seems preferable to me.

It's true that a revolution is unlikely to happen now in developed countries. But there's a concept in nuclear war called a decapitation strike where a country strikes first at the leadership of the enemy nation to stop it from resisting or retaliating. I don't understand why scientists seem so disorganized politically when things are so serious. It's maybe a few thousand people in charge of the major world institutions. Scientists know chemistry, they can make stuff that could be useful as far as those people go. Like.. I don't know... an aerosolized MDMA-like chemical that could be released at Davos type events and suddenly cause the politicians and bankers to self reflect and feel empathy and realize they need to change their behavior. Something like that.

Also there's always the chance of some kind of saviour. Like a superintelligent AI. Or benevolent aliens. Or even the lord Jesus himself. Who knows? The future is hard to predict. Really weird black swan type events can happen. And humans are good at solving problems in the eleventh hour too. Right now most people aren't personally affected by the climate change and ecological collapse, but when it does start to get in peoples' faces, we will get more creative.

Either way, it's pointless to be defeatist and nihilistic. What do you gain from that except mental illness? If things are truly hopeless, you're ruining your last good moments by obsessing about dark futures. If they are not hopeless, then you are destroying morale and encouraging people to give up, and that could turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy where people don't fight back because they feel everything is futile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
so our future lies in the hands of ecofascism, mkultra, an ai god, an alien god, or literally god. got it.

jesus christ, listen to yourself

i'll at least grant that ecofascism is possible