Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

UnfurledSails posted:

I'm really into stories where the protagonist(s) are not that good at what they do and screw up a lot, and have to learn from their mistakes to mature and figure out ways to outsmart their obstacles instead of getting a cheapo power up or whatever. Re:Zero season 1 was a perfect scratch for that itch really, but that whole genre seems to be just chock full of straight up power fantasies otherwise so I'm open for suggestions from any genre.

manga: my brother the shut in: getting good at being a productive person (ie: not a neet), but failing at it a lot

anime: Yomigaeru Sora: Rescue Wings, learning to be a rescue helicopter pilot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

UnfurledSails posted:

I'm really into stories where the protagonist(s) are not that good at what they do and screw up a lot, and have to learn from their mistakes to mature and figure out ways to outsmart their obstacles instead of getting a cheapo power up or whatever. Re:Zero season 1 was a perfect scratch for that itch really, but that whole genre seems to be just chock full of straight up power fantasies otherwise so I'm open for suggestions from any genre.

Sports is your friend here, I really like Ballroom Youkoso.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

UnfurledSails posted:

Kaiji is a story about a reject from society forced into gambling for his life by the Yakuza. He tends to gently caress up roughly every other risk he takes, and one of the cooler themes of the series is that he's a fallible human being like anyone else.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

UnfurledSails posted:

Speaking of power fantasies, are there any isekai where the power fantasy is a little more... ambitious I guess would be the word? Everyone gets a cheat power and then just uses it to free a few slaves (or make a few slaves) and fight back against someone who badmouths them or something. Is there anything about a guy who seizes power and remakes the nation

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

UnfurledSails posted:

Little Witch Academia

Meme Emulator posted:

Speaking of power fantasies, are there any isekai where the power fantasy is a little more... ambitious I guess would be the word? Everyone gets a cheat power and then just uses it to free a few slaves (or make a few slaves) and fight back against someone who badmouths them or something. Is there anything about a guy who seizes power and remakes the nation

Log Horizon

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

not a guy, but twelve kingdoms?

actually this'd apply to that other guy's 'protagonist who starts out kinda lovely but grows into themselves' too

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Meme Emulator posted:

Overlord might be what you are looking for.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Oh Ive seen Log Horizon and Overlord but Twelve Kingdoms is something Ive always meant to watch and never got around to, thanks

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

UnfurledSails posted:

Watamote.

It's not an action series or anything, it's about about a girl who is like, the embodiment of 4chan(and thus a walking fuckup), and how she interacts with the world at large. Apparently based on the author's real life experiences, which...yikes. depending on how much you relate to her, it can be downright cringe-inducing, but her character growth as the series progresses is legitimately one of my favorites of all time. Even now, she's still kuroko, still fucks up in ways that she did at the start, but she has learned from her life experiences and tried to better herself over the course of the series. It's really good. Either go into the manga straight away or watch the anime adaptation and then continue on into the manga. I'd love more of the manga to be adapted but I dunno if that'd ever happen.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the anime has good performances but i think the manga is a better starting point overall just because the early chapters are absolutely grueling with the anime's pacing and the anime never gets to the actual payoff of the later chapters, or really any of the funnier gags that happen when the larger cast is introduced

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, that's fair enough. I really do want a continuation of the anime but I wager we'll get it around the time devil is a part timer gets more seasons

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Considering that Snafu managed to get another season after such a long hiatus there is some hope for other shows that haven't been touched in a while to get a new season.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Parasyte randomly got an anime adaptation, so anything is possible.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Parasyte randomly got an anime adaptation, so anything is possible.

Wasn't there some weird rights thing holding that up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Considering that Snafu managed to get another season after such a long hiatus there is some hope for other shows that haven't been touched in a while to get a new season.

It mostly depends on if producers see any value in making it. I could see a new Watamote anime. The manga's sales are actually climbing due to the tone/focus change and have been for a while, so a season 2 might have the same effect on them if more people are introduced to the tone shift.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

rest his guts posted:

Really liked Texhnolyze; couldn't stand the cat ears or the awkward references to literature in Ergo Proxy. What should I watch? Doesn't necessarily need to be about the end of the world.

Other shows I've really liked recently: Baki, Gurren Laggan, Samurai Champloo is my favorite of all time. Also read Shigrui recently and really like it except for well a lot of things. But overall it was cool!

Shigurui is also anime, I remember it being pretty good.

Also check out Kurozuka.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Asking for some good manga recommendations, since I have more time to read than watch and I read pretty quickly. I was wondering what are some manga's.

Some liked are Naoki Urasawa's works, Nobuyuki Fukumoto. Basically more seinin stuff, a bit more gritty/serious stuff you don't get in Anime format as much.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ulio posted:

Asking for some good manga recommendations, since I have more time to read than watch and I read pretty quickly. I was wondering what are some manga's.

Some liked are Naoki Urasawa's works, Nobuyuki Fukumoto. Basically more seinin stuff, a bit more gritty/serious stuff you don't get in Anime format as much.

March Comes in Like a Lion(shogi drama, very very good character drama)
Dead Dead Demons Dededededestruction (very cynical of humanity what-if of an alien "invasion" in japan)
A Silent Voice (about a boy who bullies a deaf girl in elementary school and the future fallout for both him and her, gets super real at times, award winning)
A Bride's Tale (set in the 19th century on the Silk Road, follows a variety of gorgeously drawn and well-written characters and their lives)
An Outsider is Better in the Afterlife (follows the granddaughter of a yakuza boss who is betrothed to...a total psychopath)
Big Brother Uramichi (terminally cynical headliner on a children's show and his also-depressed coworkers suffer for your enjoyment and get way too real at times)
Watamote (a cringe comedy about an unfortunately often very relatable to many shut-in otaku girl whose attempts to do things in real life are unbelievably awkward, but what starts out as seems like a gag series turns into one of my favorite character growth stories maybe ever over the course of it)
Franken Fran (extremely dark tale about a doctor who can cure basically anything and how people handle that when put in a situation, very cynical)
Yona of the Dawn (set in essentially fantasy Korea, about a princess whose family is overthrown and has to flee with her retainer and survive outside in the real world, often cute/silly but can get extremely serious at times)

more fantasy-themed stuff but pretty serious most of the time, solid worlds, little to no fanservice/wish fulfillment generally:
Delicious in Dungeon (D&D-esque adventure comedy with extremely detailed and interesting cooking recipes for completely fictional foodstuffs, extremely good worldbuilding)
Bard Loen (elderly retired knight captain goes on a journey to enjoy his short remaining time and find a suitable place to die)
Heterogeneous Linguistics (a monster anthropologist goes on a journey to learn the languages, cultures, and behaviors of the mostly-unknown werewolves, lizardmen, minotaurs, and more in this incredibly unique take on a fantasy world)
The Ancient Magus Bride (a young girl is sold at an underworld auction to an odd man in a suit with a horned dog skull for a head, who takes her in under his care and reveals to her the dark world of magic and spirits behind the scenes in europe, really does a good job at making celtic fae and gods utterly inhuman and terrifying to a layperson a lot of the time)

Some of these might not necessarily apply for your style requests, but most are at minimum highly rated with extremely solid stories and may tickle your fancy anyways, so I included them too. Mostly things that while they have good comedy in them, that's not necessarily the main draw(Heterogeneous Linguistics, Bard Loen, Watamote in particular). I hope you find something you enjoy in the list!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ulio posted:

Vinland Saga is a cool viking series with great art (even if there's a kind of dull arc on a farm), fairly serious and the humor that is there is pretty dry and mostly based on character interactions, and war's depicted pretty realistically.

Urasawa's Monster drew a lot of influence from an old Tezuka manga called MW. I thought the lengths it went to show the villain as monstrous were occasionally kind of silly, but it still hits the same tone Monster did in terms of him being legitimately unsettling, and the art's a bit more down to earth than a lot of Tezuka's stuff. Might be an interesting read if you like Urasawa's stuff, and it's good on its own.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ulio posted:

Onward to Our Noble Deaths by Shigeru Mizuki - semi-autobiographical account of a WW2 japanese unit that survives a suicide charge and their superiors' subsequent attempts to make sure the unit dies at all costs.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ulio posted:

im just gonna dump a huge list of seinen (and a few josei) on you here

Arigatou (very grim look at dysfunctional state of the japanese family)
Black Jack ni Yoroshiku (medical)
various Hoshino, Yukinobu (ww2 and sci fi)
Eagle (politics)
Fly, Daddy, Fly (dad)
various Samura, Hiroaki works (extreme violence of all types, very very grim)
everything Taniguchi, Jiro (the stuff salarymen read)
Haruka 17 (dark side of the idol world)
various Inio Asano (romance drama)
Jacarandá (apocalypse)
Keimusho no Naka
Knock Your Heart Out! (romance)
LifE (a fukumoto collab)
Memento Mori (death)
Oyaji (dad)
Sarah - The Legend of Mother Sarah (post apoc sci fi)
Soil (detective)
Tetsuwan Girl (post war baseball)
Wanitokagegisu (as close as you are going to get to fukumoto atmosphere without the man himself involved)

oh and when i say grim, i mean it

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

Vinland Saga is a cool viking series with great art (even if there's a kind of dull arc on a farm), fairly serious and the humor that is there is pretty dry and mostly based on character interactions, and war's depicted pretty realistically.

Urasawa's Monster drew a lot of influence from an old Tezuka manga called MW. I thought the lengths it went to show the villain as monstrous were occasionally kind of silly, but it still hits the same tone Monster did in terms of him being legitimately unsettling, and the art's a bit more down to earth than a lot of Tezuka's stuff. Might be an interesting read if you like Urasawa's stuff, and it's good on its own.

Good recommendations y'all I will check them out and ya I've seen Black Jack, Vinland Saga loved them.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Just to make sure Black Jack and Black Jack ni Yoroshiku are two very different manga.

Lunatic Crossing
Jan 21, 2007
Is the Senryuu Shoujo anime from last season a good adaptation? I skipped it because it sounded generic, but I've been reading the manga lately and it's really cute and funny.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lunatic Crossing posted:

Is the Senryuu Shoujo anime from last season a good adaptation? I skipped it because it sounded generic, but I've been reading the manga lately and it's really cute and funny.

I haven't read the manga but it was an extremely adorable anime.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I'm up to episode 30 of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I heard that this one was the complete story, but now i read that it skips some stuff at the start because it was covered in the 2003 anime. Is it worth me going back to watch that first?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CJ posted:

I'm up to episode 30 of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I heard that this one was the complete story, but now i read that it skips some stuff at the start because it was covered in the 2003 anime. Is it worth me going back to watch that first?

As far as I know the only thing that's actually skipped is the stuff with Lieutenant Yoki and the town of Youswell, which is to say, the introduction of a minor comic relief character who gets introduced later in FMA:B anyways.

I would just continue with Brotherhood, as it's the most definitive version of the series that isn't "just read the manga."

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

As far as I know the only thing that's actually skipped is the stuff with Lieutenant Yoki and the town of Youswell, which is to say, the introduction of a minor comic relief character who gets introduced later in FMA:B anyways.

I would just continue with Brotherhood, as it's the most definitive version of the series that isn't "just read the manga."

Thanks, i had heard people going on about Shou Tucker and was surprised it was only 1 episode. But if it's all pretty much covered then no point watching the same stuff twice.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

CJ posted:

You're not really missing out on events that happen so much as the fast pacing affecting the emotional resonance and weight of certain events. The Tucker stuff lasts a couple of episodes and makes it clear that as the Elrics work hard over the seasons they are acclimating to his family as if it were their own, which makes the fallout from that much more heavier, which Brotherhood later on wants you to feel the gravitas of that on the brothers, but it didn't do as effective of a job communicating that as the previous series did.

Plus if you just want a different take on the story that goes a different place tonally you could always go back to rewatch the original series after you finish Brotherhood.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CJ posted:

Thanks, i had heard people going on about Shou Tucker and was surprised it was only 1 episode. But if it's all pretty much covered then no point watching the same stuff twice.
this is one of the few things the first anime really nailed perfectly that brotherhood kinda skimmed past, unfortunately(first series spent two episodes on it to brotherhood's one). But yeah, you're already that deep into Brotherhood, keep on truckin'.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

everyone i know whos only watched brotherhood still got hit hard by the tucker thing even with it being done more quickly, idk if its really missing out so much as two different takes on the same story

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Endorph posted:

everyone i know whos only watched brotherhood still got hit hard by the tucker thing even with it being done more quickly, idk if its really missing out so much as two different takes on the same story

I agree. Old FMA was made when the full scope of the manga wasn't clear, and nobody had any idea how important those characters were in the larger scheme of things. This is especially evident with Rose, who becomes this weirdly central and important character in old FMA once you get into the anime-original material, but is just a poignant but brief note in Ed and Al's story in the manga and in FMA:B.

The emotional arcs are still there in FMA:B, but honestly, Hughes and the Tuckers are mostly in the story as characterization for Mustang / Hawkeye and the Elric brothers, respectively. The amount of time lavished on them in old FMA isn't wasted, they're neat characters, but it also isn't necessary for the story that the manga (and then Brotherhood) are interesting in telling.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 8, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I agree. Old FMA was made when the full scope of the manga wasn't clear, and nobody had any idea how important those characters were in the larger scheme of things. This is especially evident with Rose, who becomes this weirdly central and important character in old FMA once you get into the anime-original material, but is just a poignant but brief note in Ed and Al's story in the manga and in FMA:B.

The emotional arcs are still there in FMA:B, but honestly, Hughes and the Tuckers are mostly in the story as characterization for Mustang / Hawkeye and the Elric brothers, respectively. The amount of time lavished on them in old FMA isn't wasted, they're neat characters, but it also isn't necessary for the story that the manga (and then Brotherhood) are interesting in telling.

Given how relatively-closely released both versions were (2006 and 2009 respectively), I wouldn't be surprised if there was also a mandate of "don't repeat the original series wherever possible" with the way it omits or rushes some things (eg; Yoki and Youswell).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

2003 for the first, not 2006, but yeah that was definitely a factor

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

Oh for sure it's still effective as hell, but the extra buildup from having two full episodes for it definitely made it that much more painful in the original. hosed me right up when I first saw it, even with my cynical mindset of "this seems too happy, something bad is going to happen"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

2003 for the first, not 2006, but yeah that was definitely a factor

I brainfarted and looked at the OVA's release date in wikipedia :cripes:.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Endorph posted:

From what i had read about it i was under the impression that Edward lived with them and they were major characters for half the season or so, so i was just surprised when it was only 1 episode. I also had read it discussed in context of Made in Abyss so i had a pretty good idea of what to expect going in to it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In the manga its like 3 chapters iirc?

In the 2003 version shou doesnt get killed by scar and comes back some later on so that might have been where wires got crossed

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh for sure it's still effective as hell, but the extra buildup from having two full episodes for it definitely made it that much more painful in the original. hosed me right up when I first saw it, even with my cynical mindset of "this seems too happy, something bad is going to happen"

Idk i could see it working better for some people in brotherhood where it doesnt last long enough for that reaction to build up

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Watamote.

It's not an action series or anything, it's about about a girl who is like, the embodiment of 4chan(and thus a walking fuckup), and how she interacts with the world at large. Apparently based on the author's real life experiences, which...yikes. depending on how much you relate to her, it can be downright cringe-inducing, but her character growth as the series progresses is legitimately one of my favorites of all time. Even now, she's still kuroko, still fucks up in ways that she did at the start, but she has learned from her life experiences and tried to better herself over the course of the series. It's really good. Either go into the manga straight away or watch the anime adaptation and then continue on into the manga. I'd love more of the manga to be adapted but I dunno if that'd ever happen.

Well, I did not watch the anime, but I did go through a lot of the manga based on this recommendation and

Well

Is Kuroki slooooowwwwlyyy transforming from a black-hearted, bitter, jealous, foul-mouthed loner to a foul-mouthed loner who constantly trolls everyone around her in delightfully childish and stupid ways

I absolutely love stories with utterly dysfunctional people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
On FMA, the original series is actually still well worth watching, even if you've already watch Brotherhood. They actually crafted their own direction for the story as best as they could and the result was actually quite a good series that actually avoided alot of the travelling guff that Brotherhood kept from the manga.