Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That looks similar to my blackberry plant but the berries also look different, so I'm gonna vote #TeamRaspberry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Drone posted:

We've had a heatwave here in Europe of the last few days, and Wednesday it got up to 38 degrees C (100F). Sunday is supposed to be that hot too, if not hotter. My cayenne plant seems to loving love the heat and I've got at least three or four new chilis growing on it since the heatwave started. My jalapeno seems pretty indifferent, but my lemon drop seems a bit sad about the heat, looking a bit droopy and it's dropped about 2-3 leaves.

Should I bring the lemon drop inside? It's Europe so I have no air conditioning and indoors is only a few degrees cooler (and with no sunlight to feed the plants, since we have the shutters closed).

I wish i had an answer for you but it is interesting seeing what kind of peppers like heat or humidity and what dont. For instance my thai chilis seems much happier outside vs the plants in the greenhouse. Wish I could figure out why the habanero is always so unhappy D: I think its possibly due to the direct afternoon sun?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think the blueish stem color makes it a raspberry.

http://identifythatplant.com/blackberry-or-black-raspberry/

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Drone posted:

We've had a heatwave here in Europe of the last few days, and Wednesday it got up to 38 degrees C (100F). Sunday is supposed to be that hot too, if not hotter. My cayenne plant seems to loving love the heat and I've got at least three or four new chilis growing on it since the heatwave started. My jalapeno seems pretty indifferent, but my lemon drop seems a bit sad about the heat, looking a bit droopy and it's dropped about 2-3 leaves.

Should I bring the lemon drop inside? It's Europe so I have no air conditioning and indoors is only a few degrees cooler (and with no sunlight to feed the plants, since we have the shutters closed).

Can you move it somewhere that gets less daily sun (at least during the heatwave)? Direct sun versus partial/dappled shade can make a huge difference in temperature, especially if the air is otherwise not too humid.

Also 100'F without AC sounds like a freaking nightmare (at least if your architecture isn't designed for it).

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I wish i had an answer for you but it is interesting seeing what kind of peppers like heat or humidity and what dont. For instance my thai chilis seems much happier outside vs the plants in the greenhouse. Wish I could figure out why the habanero is always so unhappy D: I think its possibly due to the direct afternoon sun?

I have five different peppers growing in pretty much the same soil (3 gal bags) in the same location and the variation between them is amazing. The shishitos (which I moved to a large SIP first) are huge, and the habaneros are by far the smallest and most anemic. Ironically these are "heatless habaneros", but I think it must just be something genetic with the variety. They also were the saddest at the start, which lots of sick yellow looking leaves that were either some kind of infection or serious nutrient defiency or someother nonsense. Thankfully that looks like it's cleared up, but as of now they are the only pepper that hasn't fruited for me.

I can never figure out how much sun Peppers want, although from the sound of things it seems like it varies a lot so maybe I shouldn't feel so bad.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Thanks. Figured it was something easy. Will look tomorrow.

So I took a look and my planter does have drainage holes that are not plugged, but they are small and infrequent. I live in a really dry place that usually gets a lot of sun, but we had a few days straight of overcast and rain right after I watered them last week. I'll cut back in watering. I dug up some soil and it seems damp but not waterlogged, so I'll just water less and see how things go. Thanks again!

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

This is our "greenhouse":

Inside, we have aphids. Mainly aphids, and a few pepper plants.

We have tried water spray, soap spray, soap and vinegar spray (seemed to just kill the plants), brushing them off multiple times a day and there are always more. We might have had the plants too close together, so I have separated them out, but should we be getting rid of the aphids, and how?! Is neem oil a good solution? Or should I just fill my porch with parasitic wasps?

I am planning on taking one to work to quarantine it, kill all the aphids on it, and then work on the next one.

Or should we not worry too much?

Also, should I be removing the early fruits / flowers on these to encourage further growth? The medina has a good looking pepper growing, which I am loath to remove as there are other flowers on there.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Add more ladybugs.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

A neem oil spray has absolutely murdered aphids, for me. It's a little more hit or miss on mites because they're tinier and you always miss one or two so they can re-emerge, but aphids are easy to see and bigger so it's practically 100% against them

I use about 1 tablespoon bio soap + 1 tablespoon neem, plus maybe some light veg oil if it's particularly bad, in I think a .75l sprayer

Keep in mind neem can be damaging to delicate leaves, and the oil can turn them pretty gunky if you let it dry, so I hose them off (also from underneath) ~15-20 minutes after spraying

guri
Jun 14, 2001
I have a big problem with aphids on my ume tree. In the early spring I tried absolutely everything; spraying them off with the hose twice a day, absolutely soaking the entire tree with a neem oil mix or garlic/pepper spray. I covered the thing in DE or made a water spray with it to cover the undersides of the leaves. I've gone through branch by branch squishing them morning and night. They're in cahoots with the ants and absolutely nothing works. Eventually ladybugs moved in and helped with the problem for a while but the ants have been super active again recently and I noticed some very high up, unreachable branches are absolutely bogged down with aphids again.

After my experience this year I'd also love to hear a solution. Despite my garden being almost entirely organic I'm thinking I'll need to attack the problem early next year via any means before it gets out of hand again.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Weird, I came back from a vacation last year with some bolted kale being absolutely covered with them, and the solution I describe turned them into crusty stems caked in black 100% dead aphids. Wish I had pictures (it was pretty gross) but I just deleted them a few days ago

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

toplitzin posted:

Add more ladybugs.

Dont do this they're just stolen from the wild. There are better options

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone know what these black bugs that have been going to town on my nasturtiums are? I tried ladybugs and have been cutting off the leaves and flowers that have tons of them, but I'm worried about them spreading to other plants.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Mykroft posted:

Does anyone know what these black bugs that have been going to town on my nasturtiums are? I tried ladybugs and have been cutting off the leaves and flowers that have tons of them, but I'm worried about them spreading to other plants.

People on the gardening discord say they are the bugs like aphids that ants "farm" for sweet honey-esque stuff.

https://www.westcoastseeds.com/blogs/garden-wisdom/do-ants-farm-aphids

e: I guess they are hard to get rid of

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

indigi posted:

holy poo poo the handbook for my county's program is $75 used. fuckin Penn State

It's also $75 new. And worth every red cent. The thing is 800 pages and awesome.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Spotted some weird red blobs on my cherry leaf stems earlier, after some googling apparently they secrete sap to attract beneficial insects i.e. pollinators? Plants are awesome.

Also my kiwi tree died, I think it got too hot in the greenhouse, the house might have been a better location.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Dont do this they're just stolen from the wild. There are better options

Agreed. There are suppliers who raise their own stock but, like dog breeders/puppy mills, I'm not sure how you can find one to trust.

My experience with the local ladybird beetles (poaching my own from the wild :shame:) is that the adults are indifferent predators and tend to fly off readily. The Holy Grail is to have one lay eggs before buggering off - the newly hatched larvae are ferocious. Doesn't happen often enough to make it dependable or worth the effort.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

taqueso posted:

People on the gardening discord

What discord is this?

Has anyone ever grown a stick tomato? I got it on a whim at the greenhouse and it's pretty true to name. Hope to get some good seeds off of it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Tremors posted:

What discord is this?

https://discord.gg/N6tf7F

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I had a weird garden experience.

So when I've been going outside the last week or so there's been this weird glowing spot in the sky. It's pretty hot and it moves around throughout the day. I also had to attach this tube to a pipe, I think it's called a "garden hose", and use it to actually add water to my garden because the soil had gotten dry. I haven't seen rain in almost a week. I don't know what's going on, please advise.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We just went most of a month without rain, and it was 90+ every day. You had to completely soak everything every single day or it would die.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I hope I haven't killed things, I literally have not watered once this year and wasn't paying attention. All my negi seedling trays are dead as hell and one of my bean pots does not look good at all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I had a ton of rain for the first two weeks my garden was planted and during that time I decided to switch from daily "surface" waterings to twice a week "deep" waterings after reading/watching a bunch of stuff online.

Except it was pouring rain so like I had no idea if it was working or if the rain was just sustaining my garden.

The last week its been very dry and yesterday I realized I had no idea when the last time I watered was. Luckily everything seems ok aside from a few ends of oregano. But I really need to establish a schedule for my "deep" watering experiment.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I deep water regularly, every time I forget to turn off my soaker hose

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

“ WHY ISN’T NERVE GAS AVAILABLE FOR CIVILIAN USE?”

Aphid attack alarm! But it's not a typical case. They've gone after my nasturtiums. Googling this issue says it's quite common, but also that people use nasturtiums as a sacrificial crop as the aphids ignore everything else in the garden if there's tasty nasturtiums about.

Those nasturtiums are sad and taking up too much space anyway, so I'm inclined to throw them out with the little buggers still attached. That would be ¾ of my nasturtiums gone. But am I inviting more aphid issues on tomatoes, basil, leeks, blueberries, peas, peppers etc if I do?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 30, 2019

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
I like going out every morning and sticking my hand in the dirt while eyeballing my plants' condition. After a while I've been able to develop a feel for how well the soil retains moisture, how effective my watering schedule is, and how long to skip watering because it rained.

I've cut back on my watering schedule this year despite an extremely dry winter and spring. All the organic matter and mulch is improving the water retention of my gravel pit and the soil at the depth where the potatos are growing is actually a bit soggy.

Someday I might invest in a tensiometer (cause I'm a total nerd) but for now the hand works.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

What do people do about weed seedlings in plots? I've started in a communal garden this year, and a lot of the time the plots are fallow and get full of weeds. It was pretty cleared out when it was tilled, but I think the soil was just full of pigweed seeds because there's this fine carpet of slightly red seedlings (and red underneath the leaves) popping up everywhere (not to mention thistles and smartweed and a few others).

Do I need to be on top of removing everything I don't want as soon as possible? It's easy enough to disrupt the bad seedlings between my squashes and around some of my slightly bigger plants, but the big problem is my rows of carrots/beets. They have a short spacing and the beet/carrot seedlings are still tiny.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hexigrammus posted:

I like going out every morning and sticking my hand in the dirt while eyeballing my plants' condition. After a while I've been able to develop a feel for how well the soil retains moisture, how effective my watering schedule is, and how long to skip watering because it rained.

Yeah, I do that but like I figure its kind of a big garden and there's a dozen different things planted so I don't actually know that the oregano on one end, the basil on another, and the peppers in the back all use the same amount of water or have the same level of water saturation. So shy of sticking my hand in like 10 points of dirt every day I'm not sure how to really check.

But yeah, I'm sure I'll get a feel as time goes on. The couple of weeks of rain just made it hard since I had no actual control of how much water they were getting.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Eeyo posted:

What do people do about weed seedlings in plots? I've started in a communal garden this year, and a lot of the time the plots are fallow and get full of weeds. It was pretty cleared out when it was tilled, but I think the soil was just full of pigweed seeds because there's this fine carpet of slightly red seedlings (and red underneath the leaves) popping up everywhere (not to mention thistles and smartweed and a few others).

Do I need to be on top of removing everything I don't want as soon as possible? It's easy enough to disrupt the bad seedlings between my squashes and around some of my slightly bigger plants, but the big problem is my rows of carrots/beets. They have a short spacing and the beet/carrot seedlings are still tiny.

Anything you don't want is going to crowd out things you do want and take their precious resources. Weeding is pretty much as much as you can without burning out in my opinion. The longer things grow the harder they are to pull so its best to get it all before it starts.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
I assume (midwest) folks have started their fall crops indoors?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Anything you don't want is going to crowd out things you do want and take their precious resources. Weeding is pretty much as much as you can without burning out in my opinion. The longer things grow the harder they are to pull so its best to get it all before it starts.

Seconding this, and also, it's much easier to weed after it rains and the soil is soft. If weeding seems interminable, I find setting a timer and weeding for X minutes to be more sustainable than "remove every weed ASAP". I start with the weeds closest to my (favorite) plants and work outwards.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Maybe I'll just try do do like a row or half a row or something at a time. It's seriously like every square inch has a few seedlings in some spots. Hopefully I can tell the bad stuff apart from my beets and carrots.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its my first year using mulch and its definitely helping with the weeds. I see some and I should head out and pull them, I just haven't had the time yet. But its incredibly manageable at the moment as opposed to the jungle that usually pops up in my garden after a few days of rain.

For some reason I was worried the mulch would like hurt the plants or something but I have no idea why. And then I didn't know how to get it around without hurting them and I was like "oh, just put it down first and then dig past it to plant, dummy."

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Dukket posted:

I assume (midwest) folks have started their fall crops indoors?

In Minnesota here, and I buy a lot of my plants from one of the local Hmong markets. Got 8 pepper plants and 3 cucumber plants for three dollarydoos earlier this month.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Bump

Mozi posted:

This is blight, yeah? Or some other disease maybe?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

yes

probably

e: yes

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Elder Postsman posted:

In Minnesota here, and I buy a lot of my plants from one of the local Hmong markets. Got 8 pepper plants and 3 cucumber plants for three dollarydoos earlier this month.

I assume you're in the cities - which market do you go to? Did you go to the Hmong fest this past weekend? Looked fun.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

yes

probably

e: yes

Ah well, thanks. Wonder where it came from, I didn't have any problems last year.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Dukket posted:

I assume you're in the cities - which market do you go to? Did you go to the Hmong fest this past weekend? Looked fun.

Yeah, I'm in St Paul, I go to the one at Como & Marion. I didn't even know the Hmong fest was going on, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The eggs have hatched and I have RELEASED THE HOUNDS

E: A couple of my daikons appear to be bolting. I always snip those off for any leaf crops but do I care for daikons or other roots?

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 2, 2019