Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

EthanSteele posted:

I'd use the term dissonant rather than incoherent. No washer/dryer because that's how it is in most of the world. It's unfurnished because Misato is an alcoholic slob that spends 90% of her time at work because she's fueled entirely by vengeance and beer. The reason it doesn't have anything fancy is because Nerv spends all the money on the critical stuff. I think Ritsuko even calls out that Misato is living in a lovely apartment by choice instead of one of the fancier ones on site. The school thing I think is a double whammy of keeping up morale by pretending stuff can be normal and that for everyone but the top of Nerv and SEELE in theory the kids are gonna win and one day it will be over and they can live normal lives so education is important.

This is from a page back or so but I wanted to chime in

I totally agree with this and it's one of my favorite things about rewatching the show as an adult now. The general vibe and sense of the world at large is palpable and downright oppressive; it's absolutely one of my favorite post-apocalyptic settings

Anywho, I'm usually not too interested in discussing things like LORE and whatnot, but I just finished watching Rebuild 3 and I can't help but be curious about in-universe stuff. I'm sure there must be supplementary materials or somesuch that has all of this laid out, but I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on what's going on if you remove all of the paranormal and go to a 30,000 foot view

Bear with me here but what if you're a, say, an alien living their life on mars, sitting down to your morning coffee and reading the newspaper about what's going on on Earth, with no emotional buy-in or anything. What is it like?

Are angels--including the original Adam and Lillith--some sort of alien bio-weapon that's meant to prime planets for colonization by turning all of its existing life into goo? And there was a fuckup and the bioweapon ended up actually creating humanity and WHOOPS more angels need to go in and restart the goo phase to reset their fuckup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

23DC spoils some imagery from EoE and even uses animation from it so I'm on the fence about them.

Watch the DC versions, this far in spoilers don’t matter anymore if they ever did at all.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Waffles Inc. posted:

I totally agree with this and it's one of my favorite things about rewatching the show as an adult now. The general vibe and sense of the world at large is palpable and downright oppressive; it's absolutely one of my favorite post-apocalyptic settings

Anywho, I'm usually not too interested in discussing things like LORE and whatnot, but I just finished watching Rebuild 3 and I can't help but be curious about in-universe stuff. I'm sure there must be supplementary materials or somesuch that has all of this laid out, but I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on what's going on if you remove all of the paranormal and go to a 30,000 foot view

Bear with me here but what if you're a, say, an alien living their life on mars, sitting down to your morning coffee and reading the newspaper about what's going on on Earth, with no emotional buy-in or anything. What is it like?

Are angels--including the original Adam and Lillith--some sort of alien bio-weapon that's meant to prime planets for colonization by turning all of its existing life into goo? And there was a fuckup and the bioweapon ended up actually creating humanity and WHOOPS more angels need to go in and restart the goo phase to reset their fuckup?

According to the manga (and this translation I found is rough) this is the official explanation on the origin of Adam, Litith and the Angels:

Not mentioned here is the name for the creators of Adam and Litith is "The First Ancestral Race."

And you can read here for behind the scenes info of dubious cannon: https://wiki.evageeks.org/Classified_Information_(Translation)

Hell, the manga is also "dubious cannon" since Hideki Anno disavowed it, apparently.

That said, when I was a kid, I always took the events as a weird religious apocalypse scenario. That this was some trial humanity had to overcome -- the angels -- and that, once destroyed, mankind would be allowed to continue. And that mankind was in the clear when they defeated the last angel, but Seele and Gendo had two conflicting desires on how to use the power of the Angels and doomed mankind in the process. What can I say? I saw Death/Rebirth and End of Evangelion with the sound on low because I didn't want my parents or my brother to hear because I didn't want the former to come in and the later wouldn't lend me his DVDs because he though this show was too adult for me. And then, when it aired on Adult Swim, I had to keep the TV on low to avoid waking up my parents. I did that alot in Middle School, honestly. It was good practice for sneaking out

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Waffles Inc. posted:

I think its from one of a videogame where there's talk of a progenitor alien race that seed life all over the place via the use of Black "eggs" and White "eggs". One produces life that evolves and generally creates civilizations like humanity (fruit of knowledge), the other produces fantastical immortal one offs that don't do civilization, but are incredibly powerful individually and they're all completely unique lifeforms (fruit of life). Ideally the two should never meet but some bureaucracy gently caress up somewhere meant that Earth got both types of egg. Each egg comes with a weapon to destroy itself/the other type and that Lance of Longinus is the show is one of those. They're meant to be the failsafe where the creature kills the other with the weapon and destroy all of its descendants, hence 2nd Impact when humanity stabbed the joker at the pole and half of humanity dying. Angels are just doing their thing by trying to get to the other egg creature and kill it so they can live on the planet. I dunno how accurate that is or how "canon" it's considered and obviously none of it matters at all.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Covok posted:

Spoiler tags, dude. I planned on watching that.
You'll get like 1/10th of that through your watch, it's no biggie.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

EthanSteele posted:

I think its from one of a videogame where there's talk of a progenitor alien race that seed life all over the place via the use of Black "eggs" and White "eggs". One produces life that evolves and generally creates civilizations like humanity (fruit of knowledge), the other produces fantastical immortal one offs that don't do civilization, but are incredibly powerful individually and they're all completely unique lifeforms (fruit of life). Ideally the two should never meet but some bureaucracy gently caress up somewhere meant that Earth got both types of egg. Each egg comes with a weapon to destroy itself/the other type and that Lance of Longinus is the show is one of those. They're meant to be the failsafe where the creature kills the other with the weapon and destroy all of its descendants, hence 2nd Impact when humanity stabbed the joker at the pole and half of humanity dying. Angels are just doing their thing by trying to get to the other egg creature and kill it so they can live on the planet. I dunno how accurate that is or how "canon" it's considered and obviously none of it matters at all.

Haha alrighty I can dig it

So the alien progenitor race "army" and "navy" are tasked with colonizing worlds, but the army does so by creating entire civilizations and the navy does it by just creating one big fuckoff thing and the two accidentally sent a colonizing egg to the same planet and womp womp we all suffer for it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's also info from the semi-canonical game we get the progenitor race info from that the doomed civilization basically reincarnates through the seeds of life -- they uploaded their souls to the Room of Guf and inhabit either the giant Angels or individual humans.
So gives those big suckers some extra reason for being.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
sis just got done watching the series + EoE.
been hearing bits and pieces coming from the living room and watched the whole instrumentality sequence of EoE with her. it's insane how thought provoking this series still is to this day. Ever since she started watching it, and given that its present in the current culture for obvious reasons, i really can't stop thinking about it. This reminds me of how much i regret not having watched the series earlier, i think i was 21. i should do a full rewatch soon to get it out of my system and get on the dread-mill of waiting for 4.0

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

basically, the eva backstory is real dumb

so is all of eva really now that i think about it

fun show though

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
None of that stuff is in the tv show and movie so it doesn't matter :shrug:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
All of the extended universe stuff is monumentally stupid and directly contradicts poo poo in the actual show, so just ignore it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the background lore of Evangelion was in flux during the show's production

like IIRC there are notes / series bible stuff from the early episodes where the Evangelions themselves were created by an ancient human civilization, Nausicaa-style, among other differences, despite this not only contradicting the extended universe crap but later episodes of the show as well

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it doesn't matter, but helps silence the nagging "Why" in my brain so i accept it

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Yes agreed the backstory stuff is dumb but it’s also fun to think about and talk about in this, the Eva thread :shobon:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yes agreed the backstory stuff is dumb but it’s also fun to think about and talk about in this, the Eva thread :shobon:

Fair enough. I certainly wouldn't consider any of it remotely canon, though, contrary to what Evageeks says.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I dunno, I think it kind of waters down the whole mystery of the show.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I consider that part of the Dead Sea scrolls that SEELE had tucked away, and that everything we get in the show is trickled out if half leaks and inference.

Makes it better this way and gives plausible wiggle room to "nah that's just wrong who know why"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Beefstew posted:

All of the extended universe stuff is monumentally stupid and directly contradicts poo poo in the actual show, so just ignore it.

the actual show's lore is also monumentally stupid

like evangelion is kind of a loving mess overall, which is part of what makes it interesting

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I want Anno to make an Evangelion show that is basically an anthology series set in the universe that tells a bunch of self-contained stories of randos having to cope with this tenuously outlined world full of conspiracies and ancient Aliens

they could call it Neo-Eva Q

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

JUST ONCE i would like to be able to enjoy an afternoon in the park without cosmic horrors descending on the city and turning my dog into sunny d

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The lore was never the point

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The lore was never the point

you can't just write it all off when the show spends a significant amount of time technobabbling about it though

it's there, it's important and it's really stupid

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yinlock posted:

you can't just write it all off when the show spends a significant amount of time technobabbling about it though

I can do what I want, you're not my dad

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
So the Eva remake movies. Are those even worth watching?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Origami Dali posted:

It's not really a remake, and yes.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Origami Dali posted:

You can (not) watch

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Origami Dali posted:

The artwork is gorgeous so yes.

Covok posted:

You can (not) rewatch
Ftfy

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
The Rebuilds are absolutely worth watching, if only because Anno & Tsurumaki keep everything a lot tighter. The issue of go-nowhere lore is less of a problem, likely because Tsurumaki is incredibly adept at doing the Gainax bildungsroman without cruft (see FLCL, Diebuster,) something even Anno respects.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 1, 2019

Covok
May 27, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

The artwork is gorgeous so yes.

Ftfy

It might have been hard to get my attention. I'm saying that you should watch. I just wanted to make a pun with the movie titles.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Yinlock posted:

Like what, in particular? I think a lot of it is just atmospheric, and for that it works very well.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. To me any of the more complicated stuff is just there to convey "there is a big conspiracy that everyone's being kept in the dark about", anything actually important to the show is explained or heavily hinted at.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Yinlock posted:

JUST ONCE i would like to be able to enjoy an afternoon in the park without cosmic horrors descending on the city and turning my dog into sunny d
would dogs even be affected by the Third Impact? I was under the impression that was entirely targeted at humans, having sapience and souls and whatnot

I don't think the seele folks would be super fond of becoming tang and merging with all of humanity and also a bunch of animals and insects and whatnot

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yinlock posted:

I dunno I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Personally speaking I like dogs who find clues and solve mysteries.

If Asta or Scooby Doo were in NGE I think things would have gone way differently.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Raxivace posted:

If Asta or Scooby Doo were in NGE I think things would have gone way differently.
My brother you need some Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated in your life stat.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

FilthyImp posted:

Scooby Doo getting weirdly experimental in the last decade has been a loving trip.

Covok
May 27, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Coincidentally, in regards to my earlier endorsement of VRV for having Nadesico and RahXephon, Boomerang is also part of that bundle so it actually has all the Scooby-Doo shows.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Raxivace posted:

Personally speaking I like dogs who find clues and solve mysteries.

Scooby Doo was 100% Kaji's offscreen sidekick.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

shame on an IGA posted:

Scooby Doo was 100% Kaji's offscreen sidekick.

Turns out Kaji's college nickname was Shaggy the whole time :ms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Agronox posted:

Like what, in particular? I think a lot of it is just atmospheric, and for that it works very well.

and again it's still a vital part of the plot despite how stupid it is

the point i'm trying to make is that evangelion isn't some meticulously-crafted work, it's a fuckin mess that clearly shifts directions entirely more than once because the director was losing his loving mind while making it

and that's fine!

Origami Dali posted:

two of them are worth a watch anyway

and 3.0 if you want to see a man write himself into the most insane corner possible

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 1, 2019