Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I just realized that Jotaro is more Italian genetically than Giorno, who isnt Italian at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Expect My Mom posted:

I just realized that Jotaro is more Italian genetically than Giorno, who isnt Italian at all

Isn't Giorno's mother supposed to be Italian? That'd make him 1/2 Italian to Jotaro's 1/4 Italian.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

1/3 Italian, he has 2 dads and a mom.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Still more than Jotaro.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Giorno's mother is Japanese, I think.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

painted into a coroner posted:

Giorno's mother is Japanese, I think.

Yep.

I kinda like that Araki phrased them moving to Italy as like, "Since Giorno moved to Italy, he became Italian." The end. It's that easy! Same with Holly essentially being Japanese no matter where she's initially from. Joseph fits in more in America than he ever did in England. Araki leans a little too hard into them almost perfectly assimilating, but I like the sentiment, it's nice.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

Dio's "fear" in part 3 is only due to his control of Jonathan's body being incomplete. He knows he isn't at his full strength and so he hides behind his minions, but is willing to face Joseph's group once they arrive. Contrast that to his behavior once he absorbs Joseph's blood and "completes" his regeneration/body control, he goes absolutely apeshit with power and confidence. He's not afraid of anything at that point except a direct punch to the head by Star Platinum, which is less "fear" and more "not being a loving idiot" because I'd probably do my best to avoid that too no matter how much of a badass I think I am.

DIO is super confident only so far as he has The World and thinks its enough to insulate him from all harm. As soon as Jotaro 'invades' his stopped time though he kind of falls to pieces. Notice how at the start of the fight he's relaxed enough to do a full-on punch rush duel with Jotaro and even comes out of it slightly ahead (before declaring The World is "far superior" physically, lol)? After Jotaro starts moving inside of his stopped time and tricks him enough to actually hit him though he becomes too scared to even get near Jotaro and attacks with knives and a gun until he's certain he's dead. Which then immediately backfires and he barely recovers.

This keeps up after he drinks Joseph's blood. He's still mentally weak, he's just latching on to the idea that he's gotten powerful enough again to be untouchable and is drunk on the sensation. Whereas at the start of the fight The World was shown to be slightly stronger and faster than Star Platinum, at this point DIO's will is shaken enough that a series of blows between the two ends with Star Platinum blowing The Worlds hand clean off and attacking DIO directly. And once again DIO is too scared to actually get near Jotaro to finish him off, hence the road roller. This is why after Jotaro overcomes his time stop ability the final clash is enough to kill him. He's completely and utterly admitted inferiority in his own mind to Jotaro. He can't beat him physically, mentally or with his ability so resorts to a cheap trick to try and win. And now a single punch from Jotaro's unshakeable will is enough to annihilate The World completely.

This is part of why DIO vs Jotaro is the best stand fight in the series imo. It's just as much a very real clash of wills as a physical fight. Part 3 is maybe my least favorite Part but I think it has the best finale of all of them.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 1, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think Kira is a better final battle because of how many different characters get to contribute meaningfully to it, how many different Chekov’s guns from previous episodes come into play, and how desperate the fight feels down to it’s final moments. It really feels like a culmination of everything that came before it.

DIO vs Jotaro is a solid third place for finales tho.

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 1, 2019

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kikas posted:

I like Trish because she has a lot of potential as a charater and as a Stand user, and I keep waiting for her to do stuff cause every time she does it's awesome.

Do you think Trish could have used her powers the same Secco used his? I mean the whole rebound punch thing.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

W.T. Fits posted:

Isn't Giorno's mother supposed to be Italian? That'd make him 1/2 Italian to Jotaro's 1/4 Italian.
As already answered, Giorno isnt Italian at all where Jotaro is 1/4th thanks to Suzi Q

Also reminder that his real name is Haruno Shiobana

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He's lived as an Italian with an Italian name his entire life, it's kinda weird to insist he's actually a Japanese man called Haruno despite Giorno clearly identifying as Italian

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay is Shiobana supposed to sound like Siobhan, because that's an Irish girl's name and I don't really know where it fits in here.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

multijoe posted:

He's lived as an Italian with an Italian name his entire life, it's kinda weird to insist he's actually a Japanese man called Haruno despite Giorno clearly identifying as Italian
Sorry, I wasn't trying to make any statement about race. It was purely a shower moment of "hey wait a minute......"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The dude is so Italian that the Japanese features he was born with literally just fell off one day and his hair naturally formed the shape of a plate of cannoli.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Okay is Shiobana supposed to sound like Siobhan, because that's an Irish girl's name and I don't really know where it fits in here.

I would say that I doubt it, but I honestly have no idea. I pretty much gave up on Irish pronunciations making sense when I found out that "Fionn mac Cumhaill" is pronounced "Finn McCool."

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Rand Brittain posted:

The dude is so Italian that the Japanese features he was born with literally just fell off one day and his hair naturally formed the shape of a plate of cannoli.

Much like the humble tomato, which has become so ingrained in Italian cooking that it's weird to think that it's not native to Italy.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

YggiDee posted:

It turns into "Giovanna" which is the girl version of Giovanni so you're on to something here.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, I suppose it beats being named 'pudding' or 'mixed salad'.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Alan_Shore posted:

Can you like or dislike Trish? She's done nothing, barely a character. She's a prop

I think my favorite read on Trish is from Purple Haze Feedback, where it's suggested that she spent the entire time until the first encounter with Diavolo scared out of her mind, and her every action was to feel like she had some control. The cold demeanor, the petty demands, the distance from the group, it was all so she could feel like she had even an ounce of say in her own destiny, one which she knows is suddenly looking very bleak.

YggiDee posted:

Well, I suppose it beats being named 'pudding' or 'mixed salad'.

I think his name is just Mixed, and I feel that it suits him very well. He's his own sextuplet sons, after all.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 2, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm not ruling out that Dio Brando (son of Dario Brando) is an Italian immigrant, mind you.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I would just like to throw out there that "Doppio" is his last name and his personal name is literally Vinegar.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Funky Valentine posted:

Fugo only got one fight because a) his original plot to be the traitor got axed and b) his power loving sucks to wright fights around, the Avdol Dilemma.

I have to wonder why Araki insists on having an Avdol every part. Is it just that at the time he thinks "Man, that'd be a cool power." and he realizes how difficult it is to work with later?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I have to wonder why Araki insists on having an Avdol every part. Is it just that at the time he thinks "Man, that'd be a cool power." and he realizes how difficult it is to work with later?

There's no real Avdol in Part 4 unless you mean Okuyasu (who is nerfed by not being smarter than the average bear) or Jotaro (who is nerfed by being constantly wondering why Josuke took his pen.)

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

There are also no Avdols in any other JoJo part, iirc.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nephthys posted:

DIO is super confident only so far as he has The World and thinks its enough to insulate him from all harm. As soon as Jotaro 'invades' his stopped time though he kind of falls to pieces. Notice how at the start of the fight he's relaxed enough to do a full-on punch rush duel with Jotaro and even comes out of it slightly ahead (before declaring The World is "far superior" physically, lol)? After Jotaro starts moving inside of his stopped time and tricks him enough to actually hit him though he becomes too scared to even get near Jotaro and attacks with knives and a gun until he's certain he's dead. Which then immediately backfires and he barely recovers.

This keeps up after he drinks Joseph's blood. He's still mentally weak, he's just latching on to the idea that he's gotten powerful enough again to be untouchable and is drunk on the sensation. Whereas at the start of the fight The World was shown to be slightly stronger and faster than Star Platinum, at this point DIO's will is shaken enough that a series of blows between the two ends with Star Platinum blowing The Worlds hand clean off and attacking DIO directly. And once again DIO is too scared to actually get near Jotaro to finish him off, hence the road roller. This is why after Jotaro overcomes his time stop ability the final clash is enough to kill him. He's completely and utterly admitted inferiority in his own mind to Jotaro. He can't beat him physically, mentally or with his ability so resorts to a cheap trick to try and win. And now a single punch from Jotaro's unshakeable will is enough to annihilate The World completely.

This is part of why DIO vs Jotaro is the best stand fight in the series imo. It's just as much a very real clash of wills as a physical fight. Part 3 is maybe my least favorite Part but I think it has the best finale of all of them.

I think I remember seeing a post like this after the Part 3 anime, explaining how DIO seemed weaker by the end because he was internally admitting weakness and crippling his Stand as a result.

Not sure if it works instantaneously like that, but it's a neat theory.

Funky Valentine posted:

There's no real Avdol in Part 4 unless you mean Okuyasu (who is nerfed by not being smarter than the average bear) or Jotaro (who is nerfed by being constantly wondering why Josuke took his pen.)

Okuyasu was who I had in mind. He only gets one or two fights, I think, and otherwise doesn't get to show off very much. At least he got a nice save against Kira at the end, though.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Wasn't Fugo already nerfed anyway by not wanting to use his Stand much?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I think Diavolo would have been better suited just living as a hermit like Superfly's "user" (who you will recall was also using a fake name and wearing a mask to conceal his identity, even though he was most likely just Some Guy). Running a mafia means you need to be constantly communicating with untrustworthy people, and living out of hotels and moving whenever the cleaning lady shows up. How can he even spend any of his drug money?!

As one could put it, "nothing he's got he really needs."

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I don't get why Magician Red is always used as an example of a stand that is hard to work with, just have him punch and kick and occasionally shoot a fireball as a special move like the emerald splash?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Petiso posted:

I don't get why Magician Red is always used as an example of a stand that is hard to work with, just have him punch and kick and occasionally shoot a fireball as a special move like the emerald splash?

you COULD do that, but it leaves the obvious question of "why doesn't he just light everything the gently caress on fire"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
because Magician's Red can create flames and freely control them. there is almost no way to write cool puzzle fights around that, Avdol would just nuke everything

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The Part 3 anime does add in that Joseph and Avdol were brought in to help with Iggy's capture and Avdol vs Iggy sounds like a really good fight

Just giant fields of glass being created in New York for an afternoon

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Expect My Mom posted:

because Magician's Red can create flames and freely control them. there is almost no way to write cool puzzle fights around that, Avdol would just nuke everything

?

We're trapped on a plane let's set it on fire
We're trapped on a boat let's set it on fire
We're trapped on a submarine let's set it on fire
We're being attacked by the loving sun, let's set it on fire

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I figure a lot of the problems we see are also because Araki used Pink Dark Boy to pretend he had to get this poo poo out basically every week, and he also definitely does not seem to be the kind of author who plans ahead. I imagine he maybe started Stardust Crusaders thinking 'OK, Jotaro and Dio are gonna fight in Cairo'.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

The Part 3 anime does add in that Joseph and Avdol were brought in to help with Iggy's capture and Avdol vs Iggy sounds like a really good fight

Just giant fields of glass being created in New York for an afternoon

Wasn't that in the manga as well? I thought that was why Avdol tells Polnareff he can't beat Iggy.

Xand_Man posted:

?

I have learned that the only way to defeat the Sun is to BURN IT. :flame:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I think Diavolo would have been better suited just living as a hermit like Superfly's "user" (who you will recall was also using a fake name and wearing a mask to conceal his identity, even though he was most likely just Some Guy). Running a mafia means you need to be constantly communicating with untrustworthy people, and living out of hotels and moving whenever the cleaning lady shows up. How can he even spend any of his drug money?!

As one could put it, "nothing he's got he really needs."

He's got power. He needs power. He's in this for an everlasting climax, not an everlasting midpoint.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Wasn't that in the manga as well? I thought that was why Avdol tells Polnareff he can't beat Iggy.
I think in the manga, he just knew Iggys power and maybe insulting Polnareff a bit but the anime shows still flashbacks of it so the anime is at least explicit about it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Xand_Man posted:

?

okay what about like every other single fight in a part that's nonstop fights, especially when all he'd have to do is set everything on fire around the stand user and not even care about the stand

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

The_Doctor posted:

wet and useless

wrong part

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Nephthys posted:

I like this interpretation, but I much prefer the one where Jonathan is the one who deals the final blow to DIO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Xand_Man posted:

?

Avdol could've just set the sea captain on fire
Avdol could've just set the orangutan on fire
Avdol could've just set Hol Horse on fire (Hol Horse specifically says that Avdol is the biggest threat of the group)
Avdol could've just set the guy in the car on fire
Avdol could've just set the old lady on fire
Avdol could've just set the baby on fire
Avdol could've just set the blind man on fire
Avdol could've just set the three sword wielders on fire
Avdol could've just set the child murderer on fire
Avdol could've just the falcon on fire
Avdol could've just the gamer on fire
Avdol could've just the bottoming vampire on fire (if he got a chance to look at him)
Avdol could've just set the topping vampire on fire

It's a stupid power, but not in a dumb fun OP Gold Experience way, but a relic of Araki suddenly switching to a new power set and deciding the pyrokinesis is probably a basic one start with

like even in Avdol's one big fight against Polnareff, he has to give Polnareff the ability to "cut between flames" or whatever

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 2, 2019