Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Can I use my grass cuttings to mulch my veg containers (squashes and Brussel sprouts)? What about tomatoes? Lawn had a combined feed and weed killer on it about 2 months ago. I want to retain more moisture now that the rain seems to have stopped for the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

CancerCakes posted:

Can I use my grass cuttings to mulch my veg containers (squashes and Brussel sprouts)? What about tomatoes? Lawn had a combined feed and weed killer on it about 2 months ago. I want to retain more moisture now that the rain seems to have stopped for the summer.

By no means an expert but I dont know that grass clippings would be thick enough to help with much moisture retention or as a splashback barrier.

See if your county/city offers free mulch. Mine does at the nearby yard waste center, and while its not as uniform as purchased mulch its free and works well enough for me.

Otherwise you could try just newspaper and throw the grass clippings in your compost pile so they dont go to waste.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I know people spread grass clippings on garden beds, but I'm not sure how useful they'd be in containers. Might work. I just get a straw bale at Lowe's every year. And free wood mulch from the county, but I prefer the straw for vegetables.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

We just planted a fig tree in the front yard, apart from some mulch on top or a landscape ring around the edge, what else should we do?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

make sure the root flare is above the soil, don't pile mulch on the trunk itself, extend the mulch to the dripline (continue to expand as the tree grows), deep water infrequently rather than frequent short watering

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

CancerCakes posted:

I use grass clippings on my raised beds whenever I happen to have a bunch, and it works okay. It's not as effective as a thick layer of full-on mulch, but the day after a watering there's a definite difference between the bare soil and the parts shaded by clippings.

All my beds are plumbed with a PVC drip system (and so the watering is fairly targeted to start out with) so that might help---I just dump handfuls of clippings around the base of plants where I know they're getting watered.

toplitzin posted:

We just planted a fig tree in the front yard, apart from some mulch on top or a landscape ring around the edge, what else should we do?
Read up on fig tree pruning, because when they're young they'll try to grow as a crazy distorted tangle if you don't keep 'em pruned.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
You can use grass clippings in containers, it actually works great. Think of it like you would really fresh pine needles.

I would personally not use county mulch for containers especially, just because I'd be worried about what was in it. A ton of people in my neighborhood got some nasty fungus from a bad batch of county mulch a few years back.

Personally I get a bag of pine bark mini nuggets and just top my containers off with that.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I planted two types of sugar snap peas this year, and they both kind of suck.
I did sugar magnolia and Oregon sugar pod II peas. Both are kind of tough and starchy. I'm guessing its probably a weather thing, we had a wet and mild June, and then temps jumped straight into the 90's when they started to flower. I put them in the ground at the end of March, but who knows. I need to rework the soil in that bed, so maybe that is a problem, it doesn't drain very well, so I'm gonna dump a bunch of perlite and compost in it before I do a fall planting.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I've got a bit of a problem.

10 days ago:

Today:

I've been trying to prune the suckers on the tomatoes every evening but they still just keep exploding. In the past I haven't had to do much pruning, but I guess the climate here in California is different. The thing is, I'm worried they're spending too much energy growing instead of flowering and making fruit. I'm getting relatively few blossoms and fewer of those are actually fruiting. Should I start pruning branches? Or maybe a phosophorus fertilizer would help? I've been using a 12/12/12 every 2-3 weeks.

I have a similar problem with the cucamelons, they just keep creeping up and around and it's so crowded I can't even tell what's a sucker and what's the main vine anymore:

I never thought I'd have to come in here to post "halp my garden is growing too fast", but here I am. :downs:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Grand Fromage posted:

The eggs have hatched and I have RELEASED THE HOUNDS

Baby mantids :)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jan posted:

I have a similar problem with the cucamelons, they just keep creeping up and around and it's so crowded I can't even tell what's a sucker and what's the main vine anymore:

I never thought I'd have to come in here to post "halp my garden is growing too fast", but here I am. :downs:

Oh buddy you think you've got problems now, those cucamelons have only just got started.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Can pollen be saved? RIP to my first squash that apparently didn't get pollinated. I have another female one but no male flowers. Can I save the male flowers somehow as they pop up?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jan posted:

I've got a bit of a problem.

10 days ago:

Today:

I've been trying to prune the suckers on the tomatoes every evening but they still just keep exploding. In the past I haven't had to do much pruning, but I guess the climate here in California is different. The thing is, I'm worried they're spending too much energy growing instead of flowering and making fruit. I'm getting relatively few blossoms and fewer of those are actually fruiting. Should I start pruning branches? Or maybe a phosophorus fertilizer would help? I've been using a 12/12/12 every 2-3 weeks.

Cut back on the nitrogen for your maters, but the K and P are okay. They look almost a blue green, which is a sign of a very happy, healthy plant. That’s great, except that it means they just want to keep growing bmore and more leaves with all that nitrogen and aren’t that worried about making babies. Starve them a little and they’ll freak out and say ‘oh poo poo I need to pass on my genetic material because I might die’ and start making more flowers. What are the overnight low temperatures? Tomatoes will really slow down on flowering/setting fruit when nighttime temps get in the 70s

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grand Fromage posted:

Can pollen be saved? RIP to my first squash that apparently didn't get pollinated. I have another female one but no male flowers. Can I save the male flowers somehow as they pop up?

Not for a substantial length of time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I goes this yellowing one is one of my early croppers and it's ready?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Oh buddy you think you've got problems now, those cucamelons have only just got started.

The seedlings looked so tiny so I figured I'd plant 2-3 a pot. What did I know. :rip:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Cut back on the nitrogen for your maters, but the K and P are okay. They look almost a blue green, which is a sign of a very happy, healthy plant. That’s great, except that it means they just want to keep growing bmore and more leaves with all that nitrogen and aren’t that worried about making babies. Starve them a little and they’ll freak out and say ‘oh poo poo I need to pass on my genetic material because I might die’ and start making more flowers. What are the overnight low temperatures? Tomatoes will really slow down on flowering/setting fruit when nighttime temps get in the 70s

This is San Jose, so we definitely have a desert climate thing going where temperature dips around 60F at night time and spikes to 85-90F (if not more) in the day. I've been trimming the suckers above the top of the cages to try to get them a bit more bottom heavy but I think the light situation with the balcony railing casting shade for half of the direct illumination is still pushing them to grow upwards. I'll switch fertilizers, it's been 3 weeks since my last use and the tomatoes are draining the soil dry fast, so I think they're due.

It's very different from what I'm used to in Montreal, where they didn't grow so ridiculously large. I guess this is why a regional master gardener handbook can be indispensable, I'll get on that.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?
Hello everyone,

Mostly posting to bookmark so I can come back and read through this.

Cheers!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Turns out that yellowing potato plant wasn't ready, it was dead. Something has eaten the main tuber and killed it, so exploratory digging and investigation ongoing

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
my cucumber vines are out of control. can I just cut off branches/leaves without killing it or causing it to not fruit?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

indigi posted:

my cucumber vines are out of control. can I just cut off branches/leaves without killing it or causing it to not fruit?
Yeah. If your cucumbers are sending out runners it's always safe to trim them, and it's usually good practice when you're training a vine to trim some of the lower leaves as the plant gets larger (that is, starting with the leaves that are most likely to get shaded out anyway). I usually cut away any that end up looking wilty or bug-eaten as well---I just hacked back a bunch of foliage on my Japanese cuke to respond to a cucumber beetle sighting, and the plant has been doing fine since.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Managed to get some small, but perfectly formed potatoes out of one of my growbags. Second bag hasn't flowered yet.

Also my radishes are doing a thing, but I somehow managed to fail to get pictures of them to get advice :(

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Angrymog posted:

Managed to get some small, but perfectly formed potatoes out of one of my growbags. Second bag hasn't flowered yet.

Also my radishes are doing a thing, but I somehow managed to fail to get pictures of them to get advice :(

Radishes got too hot, try again in a month and a half

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I have been giving my peppers tomato feed once a week but they don't seem to be doing great. The pepper that was looking seriously unwell I gave some general veg fertiliser and some fish blood bone meal and seems to be back to flowering. Should I switch to general feed for all of them, or wait it out?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would put them all on general-purpose fertiliser. What’s the worst that could happen?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

loving whiteflies

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Platystemon posted:

I would put them all on general-purpose fertiliser. What’s the worst that could happen?

Root burning. Which leads me to my question... how do I avoid doing that with fertilizers? I've been told to avoid it, but not reliably how to do so.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Heners_UK posted:

Root burning. Which leads me to my question... how do I avoid doing that with fertilizers? I've been told to avoid it, but not reliably how to do so.

Spoon-feeding. Err on the side of less and more frequent.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

And always water thoroughly when you fertilize. You're less likely to get burn from organics too.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Fitzy Fitz posted:

And always water thoroughly when you fertilize. You're less likely to get burn from organics too.

This seems like a good time to crosspost my question from the weed growing thread. I was given some expensive organic stuff and would like to know what to do with it :D

I came up on some 5 gal jugs of Pure Blend Pro Grow (https://www.planetnatural.com/product/pure-blend-pro-grow-3-1-5-4/) and hi brix molassses (https://www.planetnatural.com/product/hi-brix-molasses/). I don't grow weed anymore but I grow a lot of peppers and other veggies, should I use this stuff on them? What is the hi brix? I'm worried about hitting my veggies too hard with this stuff as it says, I believe, to use some every time I water? My pepper plants are just past producing flowers and you can definitely see varied stages of pepper growth on them so I did an initial watering with like 25% strength solution.. something like 1 tablespoon of the pro grow in 2 gallons of water for ~20 sq ft. I was thinking once a week sounds more in line with what I've done in the past with plant food. Thanks in advance for any tips

Fitzy Fitz posted:

like... after I mix it with water and douse the dirt?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm not sure why the P is so low on that first one, and I can't even tell what the second one is for.

re watering: it wouldn't hurt to do a full watering even though you've mixed your fertilizer with water, but it's probably fine if you're using diluted wet fert like that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Brix is a scale for sugar concentration, used when comparing fruits and many other things.

Here it’s just a brand name, though.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

This seems like a good time to crosspost my question from the weed growing thread. I was given some expensive organic stuff and would like to know what to do with it :D

I came up on some 5 gal jugs of Pure Blend Pro Grow (https://www.planetnatural.com/product/pure-blend-pro-grow-3-1-5-4/) and hi brix molassses (https://www.planetnatural.com/product/hi-brix-molasses/). I don't grow weed anymore but I grow a lot of peppers and other veggies, should I use this stuff on them? What is the hi brix? I'm worried about hitting my veggies too hard with this stuff as it says, I believe, to use some every time I water? My pepper plants are just past producing flowers and you can definitely see varied stages of pepper growth on them so I did an initial watering with like 25% strength solution.. something like 1 tablespoon of the pro grow in 2 gallons of water for ~20 sq ft. I was thinking once a week sounds more in line with what I've done in the past with plant food. Thanks in advance for any tips

like... after I mix it with water and douse the dirt?

Brix is a measurement of dissolved sugar in a liquid solution. So that molasses has a lot of sugars in it. I don't do much fertilizing for my peppers, but you can use light fertilizers infrequently (I have a bunch of 10-10-10 that I'm using for the first half of the summer). I use one every 3-4 weeks, and I'm using it in a 5'x7' raised bed with somewhat still sandy top soil (I only have so much organic matter to compost each year). I may switch to using fish manure next year because you supposedly only need to use it when you plant them.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Hubis posted:

loving whiteflies

Update: got some yellow sticky traps. After about 24 hours they have a metric shitload (possibly even an imperial shitload) of flies stuck to them, so I guess they're working?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You're less likely to get burn from organics too.
This isn't true. It just depends on the kind of fertilizer.

Hubis posted:

Update: got some yellow sticky traps. After about 24 hours they have a metric shitload (possibly even an imperial shitload) of flies stuck to them, so I guess they're working?
I had a whole shitload of whiteflies on my tomatoes earlier in the season and two applications of neem oil spray (I used Safer, for whatever that's worth) loving obliterated them.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You're right, that's not a helpful generalization.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

SubG posted:

This isn't true. It just depends on the kind of fertilizer.

I had a whole shitload of whiteflies on my tomatoes earlier in the season and two applications of neem oil spray (I used Safer, for whatever that's worth) loving obliterated them.

Thanks for the tip. I'm doing that as well, but the density of foliage (I probably need to prune as well) has made getting good coverage on the undersides hard so I wasn't sure if it was being effective. I'll keep on it.

I've been rustling the leaves to knock some of the flies into the air first in the hopes of getting them while they're moving as I spray from below. This also seems to drive more of them into settling on the traps. Next time I need to remember to set up the traps BEFORE I get an infestation, I guess...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've of my patio fruit trees that never grew as strongly as the others has died above the graft, guess I get to find out how Thompson and Morgan's customer service is like. The other 4 trees have had identical location and treatment and are growing strongly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cakesmith handyman posted:

I've of my patio fruit trees that never grew as strongly as the others has died above the graft, guess I get to find out how Thompson and Morgan's customer service is like. The other 4 trees have had identical location and treatment and are growing strongly.

Was it the Gala apple?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

No the gala's looking great, it's the golden delicious

Left to right in black pots:. Cherry, gala, conference, golden delicious, plum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Huh funny, I just rang up customer care and their first question was "was it the gala?" I hope mine were labelled correctly. They're sending another out though it might not be until September.