Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

The anime made me like Golden Wind a lot more than I already did. It's a real fun roadtrip, despite its faults. Helps that it looks stunning.

Bought a Giornio to go with my Mista today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Deffo coming out more positive on Part 5 with the anime than the terrible first translation. It still has issues that puts it low on my list, specially the final encounter, but being more clear on the message of the experiences of our lives shaping us, with a villain who rejects that and instead focuses only on results in every aspect of life was cool.

I cannot stop thinking of the finale getting a shitshow reaction. People are gonna wait almost a month to see that the fight's pretty much already over.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Getting to see the Stand battles in full color and motion was pretty cool, but the anime didn't change my mind on Giorno being the worst JoJo by a nautical mile. Honestly the entire main group is kind of a snore outside of memes and the like, barring Bucciarati.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

The most important thing is the men. The beautiful men and their perishing

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/saaiiro/status/1144009781574852609

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
jotaro being a middle finger fits his attitude

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The artists did a good job, and I’ve enjoyed going back to look at the manga art with the colour edits as well. I think the direction and pacing could do with some work, I think adapting it literally hurts it in that regard.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

hosed up that they'd leave jonathan out of that hand

e: oh i guess that's what the electricity is

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Aurora posted:

hosed up that they'd leave jonathan out of that hand

johnathan is sparkles and josuke is soap bubbles, not everyone is a fingat

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

He’s the little Hamon pulse going through his descendants.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

hosed up that he doesn't care about josuke and giorno

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i'm not sure why people say the group in part 5 is complete without giorno. giorno is the impetus for bruno to have betrayed the boss, and really is the person who ended up saving bruno. I guess you could say that bruno could've saved himself, but I like how in part 5 everyone is saved by someone else. giorno is saved by the gangster, bruno is saved by giorno, and the crew is saved by bruno

persona 5 borrows a lot about the crew from part 5, what with the persona 5 and part 5 crews being people who were rejected by the world, but i think the fact that persona 5's main character saves himself and everyone else makes it weaker

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Hemingway To Go! posted:

jotaro being a middle finger fits his attitude

given jolyne i think she should have the middle finger for obvious reasons

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

drat araki really loves naples huh

the spin originates there
jolyne shows the naples way to say gently caress off
bruno's from there

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Araki loves Italy almost as much as he hates dogs.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

to establish how much you should hate a villain, he has them kill an italy every time they show up on screen

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jolyne is so loving cool and i could die happy as long as we get part 6 anime and i can see her animated and flipping people off while lighting herself on fire

i loving dare any anime-only people to say she's not dope as hell

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

If they make a part 6 anime thy better drat well keep Jolyne’s voice actress from the games. She’s Ono/Jotaro-levels of perfect.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

yeah miyuki is good

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Condiv posted:

i'm not sure why people say the group in part 5 is complete without giorno. giorno is the impetus for bruno to have betrayed the boss, and really is the person who ended up saving bruno. I guess you could say that bruno could've saved himself, but I like how in part 5 everyone is saved by someone else. giorno is saved by the gangster, bruno is saved by giorno, and the crew is saved by bruno

persona 5 borrows a lot about the crew from part 5, what with the persona 5 and part 5 crews being people who were rejected by the world, but i think the fact that persona 5's main character saves himself and everyone else makes it weaker

There's an element here that both of them do that I don't see talked about much and that's the theme of children being victimized/preyed upon by the system or the adults in that system. In fact, Persona 5 is basically a denouement of the Persona 2 Duology and how hosed up it is that kids have to save the world when they shouldn't have to. Adults are supposed to leave the world better than it was for the next generation. Kids should be allowed to be kids. NGE goes into this, a bit. MP100 really goes into it just to make it more obvious.

I know we have fun here about Abbacchio becoming a jaded cop at 21 and how young everyone is, but I feel like them being that young is half the point of the thing too. Araki doesn't normally do that, even if it's a common convention in shounen manga or video games. All the main characters are young-ish but they're young enough for the part they're in. There's some older characters helping out the younger ones as well. Why is Golden Wind different? Well, the whole point is that our boys were all failed by the adults in their lives, at least the ones who were supposed to help them. The only person who shows Giorno any humanity is a criminal. Abbacchio trusts the system that's supposed to serve and protect and is ground into a fine powder right after high school. Mista's pretty much an orphan and the system punished him for helping someone. Narancia's dad failed him. Buccialati had to hide within the system that's responsible for his father's death. Trish's father wants her dead because he's so cowardly that he takes to eradicate his past by any means necessary. The anime even did the same thing with Fugo. Never mind the reason that we got here is because of kids being sold drugs. Even with Doppio, on a literal level Diavolo is using him to hide from the world. On a thematic level, it's showing his arrested development. A 33-year-old man is forever 15 because he doesn't want to grow up and go through life like a normal person. Adults are supposed to understand that life has pitfalls that you have to deal with, but not Diavolo.

Couple this with the Christian symbolism that was brought up in the anime thread (which is a really good post too) and it's pretty clear what the point of Golden Wind is. If you're stuck with your "inheritance", your family, the society you were born in, and they don't support you, are you just stuck with the hand you're dealt? How do you deal with that? Golden Wind is answering that question.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I will cry out in the street if Spider-man does show up in the Part 6 anime three years from now.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/561Suki/status/1147305627225661442
these are so good

one of the original cosplayers found it too
https://twitter.com/sh7122maki/status/1147514336560074752

BaDandy posted:

There's an element here that both of them do that I don't see talked about much and that's the theme of children being victimized/preyed upon by the system or the adults in that system. In fact, Persona 5 is basically a denouement of the Persona 2 Duology and how hosed up it is that kids have to save the world when they shouldn't have to. Adults are supposed to leave the world better than it was for the next generation. Kids should be allowed to be kids. NGE goes into this, a bit. MP100 really goes into it just to make it more obvious.

I know we have fun here about Abbacchio becoming a jaded cop at 21 and how young everyone is, but I feel like them being that young is half the point of the thing too. Araki doesn't normally do that, even if it's a common convention in shounen manga or video games. All the main characters are young-ish but they're young enough for the part they're in. There's some older characters helping out the younger ones as well. Why is Golden Wind different? Well, the whole point is that our boys were all failed by the adults in their lives, at least the ones who were supposed to help them. The only person who shows Giorno any humanity is a criminal. Abbacchio trusts the system that's supposed to serve and protect and is ground into a fine powder right after high school. Mista's pretty much an orphan and the system punished him for helping someone. Narancia's dad failed him. Buccialati had to hide within the system that's responsible for his father's death. Trish's father wants her dead because he's so cowardly that he takes to eradicate his past by any means necessary. The anime even did the same thing with Fugo. Never mind the reason that we got here is because of kids being sold drugs. Even with Doppio, on a literal level Diavolo is using him to hide from the world. On a thematic level, it's showing his arrested development. A 33-year-old man is forever 15 because he doesn't want to grow up and go through life like a normal person. Adults are supposed to understand that life has pitfalls that you have to deal with, but not Diavolo.

Couple this with the Christian symbolism that was brought up in the anime thread (which is a really good post too) and it's pretty clear what the point of Golden Wind is. If you're stuck with your "inheritance", your family, the society you were born in, and they don't support you, are you just stuck with the hand you're dealt? How do you deal with that? Golden Wind is answering that question.
good post!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you know, i do have my misgivings about certain aspects of part 5 and i also never want to be one to tell someone they're enjoying something 'wrong' but at times i do feel like some people get way too wrapped up in weird little specifics instead of just letting poo poo happen and going along with it. they might have some issues moving into the hopefully eventual part 6

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
poo poo not making sense is more acceptable if it's entertaining or satisfying to the story. i feel like people use "why are you complaining about this but not [wacky thing that happened in an early part]" as a gotcha when people nitpick at part 5, but the obvious answer to that question is that those are better written stories than part 5 is.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

oh definitely, other parts handle stuff better. some people just come off like they're gonna have a bad time in terms of poo poo being comprehensible despite that, though.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i think there's a ton of benefit to all of us having years to come to terms with part 5's (and part 6's) ending, so I can't get too mad at people who are just now experiencing it, and also have to wait a month to see how it ends.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I really liked that aspect of part 5 where the characters are all abandoned and abused and have no other place to go beyond this criminal underworld and have to go along with the system until it becomes too much for them. They all have these intense backstories that are shown, we really get to know what these guys deals are, and I really like the boat scene. Early episodes were some of my favorites of the series, and I'll probably show it to people to introduce them to jojo. But I'm not too satisfied by this GER business.

I'm fine with it but it's just not satisfying.

But the people who are like... posting entire books about how mad they are at GER, just too mad for words, are going to bleed out their ears and die when they get to part 6.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

God, I can't wait to see the reaction to the end of Part 6. People are going to haaaaate it, and I will continue to say it's one of the best decisions Araki ever made.

The final chapter being named What A Wonderful World might be my favourite chapter title ever.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Stone Ocean climax is gonna be awesome in the anime when the solo from Stairway to Heaven starts playing when Heavy Weather smashes Pucci's head.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I really dislike the ending of Stone Ocean a lot, but the concept behind it was a great one and I'm glad it happened.

I always felt that Part 6 was one of the weakest parts overall, and I would put it just above Part 1 in my own rankings. But, with Part 5 ending soon, I decided to give it another read-through. Just got to the Kiss/Highway to Hell fight and its solid so far. Forgot how badass Jolyne was. I mean, I knew she was tough, but her standing up to Jotaro during the Whitesnake fight was a good moment for her. After reading it I definitely think my previous opinion of Part 6 will be proven wrong, even if I still won't like the ending.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

That is a GOOD :clap: JOSUKE :clap:

And thank you :dance:

Expect My Mom posted:

i think there's a ton of benefit to all of us having years to come to terms with part 5's (and part 6's) ending, so I can't get too mad at people who are just now experiencing it, and also have to wait a month to see how it ends.

I feel like in addition to giving them more time to animate stuff, that waiting period will give anime-onlys enough time to digest what just happened. Hopefully.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

God, I can't wait to see the reaction to the end of Part 6. People are going to haaaaate it, and I will continue to say it's one of the best decisions Araki ever made.

The final chapter being named What A Wonderful World might be my favourite chapter title ever.

Same, that chapter title competes with "Break My Heart, Break Your Heart" for me. :unsmith:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Speaking of Part 6, I just had a real dumb idea for an ED.

What's a song that was popular during the early 10s and deals with events happening multiple times?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTAAsCNK7RA

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Funky Valentine posted:

The Stone Ocean climax is gonna be awesome in the anime when the solo from Stairway to Heaven starts playing when Heavy Weather smashes Pucci's head.

Ah poo poo I completely forgot Atlantic got swallowed by WB and they can totally do this

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Spider-man, the world resets (and now i gotta find out how to prepare a post for three years from now that goes "hope y'all enjoyed Joe's Mild Quest."), and Roundabout playing once more when DIO and the World show up out of loving nowhere, are my pillars of moments I can't wait to see anime-only watchers react to.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

David Pro will reanimate all Parts 1-5 in the late Stone Ocean artstyle solely for the part where Made in Heaven is making a new universe and the entire series plays sped up really fast.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Condiv posted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think Giorno's relationship with the rest of the crew is too often told and not shown. The most egregious example of this happens in the Spice Girl chapters, when Spice Girl is all like "Wow Giorno is so strange, huh? Meeting him has caused you to grow stronger in spirit and as a human being," despite the two of them never even speaking a word to each other up to that point. And, despite being the guy who came up with the idea to overthrow The Boss in the first place, Giorno's commitment to that goal remains kind of abstract. Buccellati, on the other hand, goes on to oppose the boss on a much more personal and physical level, and he dies twice in the process while Giorno is kind of sidelined. I like Giorno and I like his fights (yes, even Baby Face) because he has a lot of great lines that have a tendency to stick in my brain, but he definitely feels under-developed as a character. I think if his relationship with the gang stars and Diavolo were set up better, it would have also made the payoff where Giorno is the one to inherit the dying wills of Narancia, Abbacchio, and Buccellati and defeat Diavolo much more impactful.

Edit: You know who else had a close relationship with Buccellati and a personal conflict with Diavolo? Trish. Give us the alternate ending to Part 5 with Spice Girl Requiem, Araki.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 8, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It really doesn't help that the part takes place over like a week. No time for relationships to form.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
It might also have something to do with the gang being a close knit group and Giorno being the outsider. In all the other parts i've read the gang forms as part of the story. But mainly i think that there's little down time. I reread Rolling Stone yesterday and the bit where they are sitting round the table talking about eating herbivores is great.

Daxing Dan posted:

You know who else had a close relationship with Buccellati and a personal conflict with Diavolo? Trish. Give us the alternate ending to Part 5 with Spice Girl Requiem, Araki.

Spice Girl seems to be an independent entity from Trish with its own personality, so she's half way to being a Requiem stand already.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
What was the intended ending for stone ocean before Araki changed his mind right before the final chapters? Or was that just misinformation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Never heard that it was a last minute thing before, so I’m gonna go ahead and say it’s misinformation