Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
In some ways, it was. Right around #3 was when they got told they'd be making more. And I can only imagine the finale they had in mine is pretty complete in its closure. So, instead of finishing the whole story up in a few movies, everything from the second half of three onward feels like the middle movie of a trilogy... because it kinda is.

Edit: I will defend #2 and its character development for Joe and Mimi until the day I die, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This is the first I’ve ever heard Tri was extended after part 3. Is there an actual source on that?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nodosaur posted:

This is the first I’ve ever heard Tri was extended after part 3. Is there an actual source on that?

Same question from me, especially because I very strongly remember as far back as Part 1 that Tri was going to be a six film series.

My recollection of Tri was that when it was first announced people seemed to believe it was maybe going to be a television anime, but it was later confirmed to be a movie series and when that happened I distinctly remember it was going to a six movie series. The idea that it got reshaped halfway through seems to have been a supposition after the fact based on Tri's structural failings.

And Jyou and Mimi in #2 were absolutely great. It's why I think movie 2 is the best of the series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Being six movies was likely set in stone from day one. The main issue is that it is seven movies with Last Evolution, which meant that they had no choice but to leave plot threads open. Also, whatever team was working on it didn't seem to be sure if they were working on movies or an episodic anime (it was originally announced as the latter and released as...both...) which gave it the weirdest pacing I've seen in my life.

Anyways here's the trailer for Last Evolution. We also got a poster and artwork for everyone, the Digimon don't look horrifying anymore and all the humans are much closer to their original designs, god bless Nakatsuru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSGkcQPNzvA

quote:

"Taichi. Taichi, will be we together when you become an adult?"
"This is Taichi and Agumon's last adventure."
"Agumon, we will be together forever."
"I definitely won't forget the adventures with you"
https://twitter.com/WithTheWill/status/1147759304461578240

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

The main issue is that it is seven movies with Last Evolution, which meant that they had no choice but to leave plot threads open.
That's what I meant, but explained with much more clarity. Thank you. I'm just theorizing that it's right around #3 when they got told to plan for Last Evolution.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I swear I remember Tri originality being announced as three movies as well making a double meaning for Tri. Third Adventure over three movies.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The subtitle makes me think Last Evolution might be another series of films though (also I’m hoping the tagline is meant to be taken literally and we’ll finally be done with the Adventure cast after this).

That said, another sequel taking place during the timeskip at the end of 02 could be interesting.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Last Evolution is definitely another "series" rather than a continuation of Tri, and how they announced it being "by digimon fans for digimon fans" makes me think they will ignore tri as much as possible.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Last Evolution is definitely another "series" rather than a continuation of Tri, and how they announced it being "by digimon fans for digimon fans" makes me think they will ignore tri as much as possible.

In any normal series I'd say you're crazy, but Tri did ignore 02 as hard as it possibly could without creating massive plot holes, and there's no doubt Toei realized people were mad at certain things in Tri considering the changes in staff and especially the look of the series.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

In any normal series I'd say you're crazy, but Tri did ignore 02 as hard as it possibly could without creating massive plot holes, and there's no doubt Toei realized people were mad at certain things in Tri considering the changes in staff and especially the look of the series.

Except Tri did leave massive plot holes related to 02...

Or rather there's a lot of stuff in the first couple movies, especially movie 1, to suggest that Tri was eventually going to do SOMETHING with the 02 cast, and also presumably that something would be something besides a last second writing off of writing them off. It feels to me like there's an entire plotline related to 02 that never even started in Tri.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzhW1a1i9aI

English sub of the trailer is out for Last Adventure.

Looks like this is going to be like the first part of tri and I'mma need tissues.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There's "plot holes" and there's "stuff that wasn't explained to your satisfaction." One involves internal inconsistency with established material and continuity errors, and the other is just arguably weak writing. tri. doesn't actually have any plot holes with 02 or any other series, it just doesn't use elements from 02 in a way that's very good.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Honestly tri sucked, there was a moment where it could have been good, but it really missed the mark on a lot of stuff. This new movie looks more in line of what I wanted from tri, but here's hoping.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I've said it before, but I'm pretty sure what happened with tri. was that they had six movies they were doing as like an anniversary themed thing. They had a story, and then it turned out tri. was significantly more successful than they expected. So about halfway through the movies, Toei made the decision to tell them "stretch this poo poo, we're going to make sequels". At that point, they had to jettison their primary story arc because they basically wanted to do a big wrap up and no longer could. So they needed a more open ended thing, where nothing was really resolved, so they could keep those plot points ready for later.

You can see it in the way the first three movies work, up until about the moment movie three resets the Digital World. The virus thing is extremely important, the driving plot for three movies, leads into emotional moments and tons of drama. Suddenly, it's taken off the table by techno bullshit, and there's no real explanation for it beyond "oh, uh, guess the bad guys did it for reasons". With their expected plot excised, they just tread water for one movie, and then try to lead to a new climax in the next two, pulling together plot threads that were meant to go in totally different directions. Since they wanted to keep their big ideas on the table for the sequel, though, they declined to adequately tie up a lot of poo poo.

Thus, the last three movies just kind of flail around, before lurching to a conclusion with Meicoomon that was absofuckinglutely obvious from the first movie, but with little payoff because Meicoomon was clearly set up to be deeply connected to the virus that they jettisoned in movie three.

You can tell the 02 stuff was supposed to be way more important, and probably will be in the future, but everything got hosed up with the change in direction.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Now that they're easily collected instead of having to link to sixteen different images, the characters!

https://twitter.com/Sakura__2012/status/1147857193829621760

I'm glad Agumon doesn't look like a horrible monster anymore.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Now that they're easily collected instead of having to link to sixteen different images, the characters!

Mimi, that dress is adorable, but... pink with salmon? Really?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blaze Dragon posted:

At long last, TK wears a hat that isn't stupid! And his whole outfit looks great even!

I dig the designs, quite fresh and stylish.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

PMush Perfect posted:

It wouldn't be Mimi if she wasn't wearing utter nonsense.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Hot take: Mimi was at her best in Tri

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

PMush Perfect posted:

Look, Mimi learned to enjoy whatever she wants and gently caress the haters. She's got the confidence to pull these colors off. :colbert:

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

But what if...she goes even beyond in Last Evolution?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mimi has always made questionable fashion choices. There's a reason why that became Sora's job and she became a TV personality.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

That "mada mada!" right before Lilymon digivolves into Rosemon is my favorite part of that entire series.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So now we know why Cyber Sleuth was mysteriously pulled off PSN a few months ago: Bandai's releasing a collection for multiple systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOpjwvu05xE&t=1s

I'm okay with this. The games were grindy as all hell, but very underappreciated.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

[Mephismon's] appearance has changed from a ram to that of an ewe; not only is it dressed in a ladylike fashion, its every move exudes grace and elegance. It gleefully uses its dark incantations to attack even those begging for their lives or those struggling hopelessly, casting death upon them.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

I love everything about that design. It's the magic circle parasol of death that really ties her look together.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

So this is basically the first time we've had a proper gender swap for a single species of Digimon right, not counting ones that are separate species that are tied together thematically(like Jijimon and Babamon) or how it usually goes in this franchise where if we see different gendered versions of a Digimon they look exactly the same(like comparing Adventure Biyomon and Savers Biyomon)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

So this is basically the first time we've had a proper gender swap for a single species of Digimon right, not counting ones that are separate species that are tied together thematically(like Jijimon and Babamon) or how it usually goes in this franchise where if we see different gendered versions of a Digimon they look exactly the same(like comparing Adventure Biyomon and Savers Biyomon)

I

Think so?

Also the two most famous examples are Angewomon and Lady Devimon, though those are a bit curious since it isn't 1 to 1- They're the lady equivalent to two lower level Digimon in both cases.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It’s the first time we’ve seen it in the same species, but Angemon and Devimon have always been able to evolve into their female counterparts in ancillary media, and as far as single characters, Murmuxmon-D’arcmon-HippoGriffomon in the Frontier movie was gender fluid between his three identities.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I kind of like this since the series does try to claim that Digimon don't really have biological sexes, but rarely shows it outside of the occasional masculine humanoid becoming a feminine one or vice versa after evolution.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

It’s the first time we’ve seen it in the same species, but Angemon and Devimon have always been able to evolve into their female counterparts in ancillary media, and as far as single characters, Murmuxmon-D’arcmon-HippoGriffomon in the Frontier movie was gender fluid between his three identities.

Yeah I wasn't counting examples with different species

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Either way I'm very in favor of parasol twirling Mephismon.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's very interesting because in any other situation, they would have made this her own Digimon.

Maybe we can start seeing more diverse versions of each Digimon. Imagine if they were treated as actual species, with individuals and unique features across them?

A dark skinned Angemon that also happens to be a woman or whatever

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Vamdemon X, MetalGreymon Virus X, and BlackAgumon X.

MetalGreymon is biting RizeGreymon's style :|

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm actually kinda surprised they gave it a new design instead of just recoloring the vaccine version

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

I'm actually kinda surprised they gave it a new design instead of just recoloring the vaccine version

Likewise, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw MetalGreymon X (Virus) isn't just a blue version of MetalGreymon X (Vaccine), especially considering the WarGreymon Xs are identical and I can't see any difference in the Agumon Xs at least in that image.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
From the looks of it, Black Agumon X has rabies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New Vamdemon looks cool.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I think that this is my new favorite version of MetalGreymon. I normally hate X-Antibody Digimon, but this works.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Bandai Twitter has shown another X Digimon, here's LadyDevimon X.

https://twitter.com/bandai_digimon/status/1153133576730234880?s=20&fbclid=IwAR3sLiaSn2DgFAyu65vgw5lpShj5LgJwmqD0BUQR0OKzRBKXuQWNxQODhd0

This is probably the weirdest design so far, but I don't dislike it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How did they make her tits even worse