Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Willo567 posted:

So with that new G-Reco movie coming out, I've been thinking about giving the series a watch. Is it really as bad/confusing as people say it is? It looks too fun for me to pass up

No, you just need to pay attention. There's important character development that happens literally in the background, and important worldbuilding is done in throwaway bits of dialogue. And the characters do stuff that doesn't make sense, unless you remember that they're from a different culture that has no living memory of war.

Just pay attention, know that the show isn't going to force your attention to everything that's important, and think about why a character might be doing something that doesn't seem to make sense at first glance, and you should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Willo567 posted:

So with that new G-Reco movie coming out, I've been thinking about giving the series a watch. Is it really as bad/confusing as people say it is? It looks too fun for me to pass up

It's kind of messy even if you get what Tomino's aiming for (a satire on Japanese rearmament, mainly), and the ending doesn't feel especially earned, but it's an audiovisual treat with a great sense of adventure.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Go for it, you’ll probably enjoy it with that attitude :)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Willo567 posted:

If you like 70s-80s anime, you'll like G-Reco.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a copy of New Gundam Breaker and I’m going to regret this I know

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Willo567 posted:

How do you feel about elevators, specifically elevators that go up into space?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Taintrunner posted:

I actually just ordered a PS4 and was looking at games for it and saw that New Gundam Breaker is really cheap. I know it was very poorly received, but I haven't played any of the Gundam Breaker games before. Maybe it won't seem bad to me if I don't have anything to compare it to?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Willo567 posted:

It's the best gundam show of the decade.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Taintrunner posted:

If you don't already have it, go get Gundam Breaker 3: Break Edition instead, you'll have a much better time

Gripweed posted:

I actually just ordered a PS4 and was looking at games for it and saw that New Gundam Breaker is really cheap. I know it was very poorly received, but I haven't played any of the Gundam Breaker games before. Maybe it won't seem bad to me if I don't have anything to compare it to?

See above, get 3 instead, especially because it's pretty cheap on Amazon right now(46 bucks to be specific)

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

G Reco’s total poo poo but it has a particular style some people really like.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

"Total poo poo" seems a bit harsh. At the very least it tried to be a unique experience for Gundam.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drrockso20 posted:

See above, get 3 instead, especially because it's pretty cheap on Amazon right now(46 bucks to be specific)

But New Gundam Breaker is only 11 bucks

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
G-Reco has some awesome mechs

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Trust me even at that price it's a total ripoff

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The world is not square.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Not worth it. NGB was terrible. Get GB3.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have Gundam Breaker 3 on both my Vita and my PS4 and it's awesome. I didn't pay anything for NGB. I just want to suffer.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The only good thing about NGB is that since it's on PC and uses Unreal Engine, it'll be really easy to rip the models from it, so someone can make something better using those assets

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I just played the first two missions and jesus loving christ that was literally un-loving-playable. Trash!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah I just played the first two missions and jesus loving christ that was literally un-loving-playable. Trash!

You didn’t even get to the dating sim part. We have such sights to show you!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RevolverDivider posted:

G Reco’s really good and it has a particular style some people really like.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
G-Reco is a delight, but it's not without issue.

I'm not sure Raraiya's long recovery from oxygen deprivation is worth whatever Tomino was going for.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's kind of weird G-Reco wasn't uploaded in GundamInfo, what with it having a lot of the modern series there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

amigolupus posted:

It's kind of weird G-Reco wasn't uploaded in GundamInfo, what with it having a lot of the modern series there.

It's weird because AnimeLab was able to stream it in Australia. Did Crunchyroll have it too, maybe? I can't recall.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

amigolupus posted:

From what I recall they mostly skipped over AGE too

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's weird because AnimeLab was able to stream it in Australia. Did Crunchyroll have it too, maybe? I can't recall.

G-Reco's streaming situation was weird. IIRC nowhere had it streaming to North America at all. Here in the UK, Anime Limited had it for around £35 or so to stream and download via Vimeo, which was weird and had a very inconsistent schedule with a bunch of delays, but does mean I have it all as legitimate MP4 files which is kinda cool. I wonder if they were planning on using the big new Tomino Gundam series to push some particular streaming service (did Daisuki exist at the time?) and then it didn't come together.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I would've watched Greco when it came out but yeah, there was no legal way to and I waited to see if one would become available/there would be news that it wouldn't be available and that just never happened. And then I forgot about it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

I like how they explicitly discourage parts collection in their parts collecting game

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Maarak posted:

I'm not sure Raraiya's long recovery from oxygen deprivation is worth whatever Tomino was going for.

I haven't seen G-Reco since it aired, so I might not be recalling everything about her but my recollection is that it wasn't worth it at least and I'd say everything she did (that I remember) could have been done by others with only minor changes. The main purpose she fulfills in the first half of the story while she's suffering from oxygen deprivation is to make the cast aware of and remind the viewer there's something untoward happening up in space, but the existence of the G-Self alone accomplishes the first part and Aida is already focused on investigating things out in space so it seems unnecessary. In the back half of the show she becomes one more more member of an apparently rival faction that Bellri and co. get on with despite their seeming differences in culture etc. A role which Ringo, the dwarf lady and even Aida already fill despite having much less screen time for the most part. She does provide some levity and a happier character for the cast to bounce off of too, but I'd say Noredo already kind of fills that role too.

I'm not even opposed to including her in the show, because there's some nice scenes possible only because of her and she interacts nicely with Noredo, and if I was going to cut something she wouldn't be my first choice (I'd just chop down on some story threads or something instead), but she doesn't seem all that necessary for the story the show is trying to tell either.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Work was slow today so I ended up watching the first 5 episodes of G-Reco. This is cool so far, I like this.

Best parts:
- Bi-pedal motorbikes
- Toilets
- Cheetah falling on snake
- Pin-up on the Megafauna captain's chair
- Chuchumi

Edit: 6 episodes now
- Reflector pack color scheme is best
- Special spaceship facility for cleaning futuristic goldfish bowl

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 10, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Maarak posted:

The neat thing about this is that her recovery isn't quite as long as she makes it out to be. Several episodes before she's openly lucid to everyone she's noticeably largely recovered and capable and doing stuff like finding a happy, bubbly excuse to get out of the room before someone who might recognize who she is/where she's from(like Cumpa) can spot her and out her as a spacenoid and thus potentially spoil her plan to get some earthnoids on her side to prevent the coming war.

tsob posted:

I haven't seen G-Reco since it aired, so I might not be recalling everything about her but my recollection is that it wasn't worth it at least and I'd say everything she did (that I remember) could have been done by others with only minor changes. The main purpose she fulfills in the first half of the story while she's suffering from oxygen deprivation is to make the cast aware of and remind the viewer there's something untoward happening up in space, but the existence of the G-Self alone accomplishes the first part and Aida is already focused on investigating things out in space so it seems unnecessary. In the back half of the show she becomes one more more member of an apparently rival faction that Bellri and co. get on with despite their seeming differences in culture etc. A role which Ringo, the dwarf lady and even Aida already fill despite having much less screen time for the most part. She does provide some levity and a happier character for the cast to bounce off of too, but I'd say Noredo already kind of fills that role too.

I'm not even opposed to including her in the show, because there's some nice scenes possible only because of her and she interacts nicely with Noredo, and if I was going to cut something she wouldn't be my first choice (I'd just chop down on some story threads or something instead), but she doesn't seem all that necessary for the story the show is trying to tell either.

Raraiya's main role in the plot is to be the bridge between earth people and space people working together, kind of like Loran in Turn A except not the protagonist. Her recovery is a definitely a little bit too long; Tomino definitely considered her one of the main players and wanted her interacting with the cast during act 1 when the band is assembling and the cast is getting comfortable with each other, but had to come up with a reason for her to not spill the beans too early to start act 2 and settled on her condition to add some cute interactions I guess. That act 1 interaction ends up being important, though, because it's what allows her to serve as that bridge between Aida's faction and the peacenik Towasangans because they trust her and care about her when she spills the beans.

She's a whole lot more important to the central structure of G-Reco's character dynamic than a nobody like Ringo, who is pretty much superfluous. You could cut her from the show and still have a coherent plot, but you could also cut Sayla from MSG or Emma from Zeta and still have a coherent plot; things would need to change a bit.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 10, 2019

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
G-Reco was most definitely on Hulu in the states, that's how I watched it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You can't cut back on Emma, you will regret this.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

G-Reco was most definitely on Hulu in the states, that's how I watched it.

Don't remember that at all, must have been a rather short time if that's true

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

RillAkBea posted:

Best parts:
- Chuchumi

Everyone loves Chuchumi.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

drrockso20 posted:

Well now I'm questioning my memory. I watched it on something that wasn't CR, did gundam info air it weekly during the run? That might have been what I was thinking of, for me it would either be Hulu or info.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Kingtheninja posted:

Well now I'm questioning my memory. I watched it on something that wasn't CR, did gundam info air it weekly during the run? That might have been what I was thinking of, for me it would either be Hulu or info.

I found a press release; it was on Hulu but not while it was airing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Maarak posted:

“Pee pee poo poo.”

Literal line from that character in the show.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Midjack posted:

“Pee pee poo poo.”

Tomino is a luminary of our time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Midjack posted:

“Pee pee poo poo.”

Pulitzer for best political cartoon right there.

DEBT