Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

moths posted:

Orks presumably speak all languages because it never occurred to them that they don't.

They tell humans things that we understand because they believe they told us.
That's a pretty sophisticated rationalisation that actually... kind of works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

moths posted:

Orks presumably speak all languages because it never occurred to them that they don't.

E: They sound like soccer hooligans because that's how our brains parse it.

In the warp-addled, brain-freezing, absurdly violent, batshit world that is 40k, this... works.

Zoggin' ell, dis 'umie lern'd da langwij. 'Ee muss be a warboss or sumfin. Chuck da git back an let 'im get 'is mates an we c'n 'ave a proppa barney!
'Ope ee don't get an evil eye or sumfin' doh. Oi told ya ee wuz a scary git!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

moths posted:

E: They sound like soccer hooligans because that's how our brains parse it.

quoting this mostly so I can look at it in the future and nod at how good an idea it is.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

There was a bit in Baneblade where a weirdboy 'talks' in a tech priest's head and it sounds normal but when he opens his mouth it comes out as ork cockney. Probably hard to enunciate in gothic with teef.

Thinking about it a Solomon Kane story had basically the same scene with an African medicine man.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I remember that being pretty cool alright. Baneblade was a good book. I need to get the sequel sometime.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I was enjoying Dead Sky Black Sun until the author decided to focus on his Chaos Marines and they're so boring :(

e: Onyx is so special he controls his demon, ooooo

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 10, 2019

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I was enjoying Dead Sky Black Sun until the author decided to focus on his Chaos Marines and they're so boring :(

e: Onyx is so special he controls his demon, ooooo

Ugh... those books are so meh I forgot about all those character. I literally only remember "TOOT TOOT! All aboard the daemon train out of nowhere" and "skinless marines and womb factories". I don't even remember if Ultramarine Genericus McCodex makes it back.

Guyver posted:

There was a bit in Baneblade where a weirdboy 'talks' in a tech priest's head and it sounds normal but when he opens his mouth it comes out as ork cockney. Probably hard to enunciate in gothic with teef.

Why do I have a weird memory of some short story involving a captured ork who somehow talks an administratum working into becoming a violent rear end in a top hat and beating the poo poo out of his boss? Must have been in this thread somewhere or one of those fan-fiction stories.

EDIT: My brain is telling me "The Littlest WarBoss" was the title, but that sounds more like a fever dream

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 10, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dog_Meat posted:

Ugh... those books are so meh I forgot about all those character. I literally only remember "TOOT TOOT! All aboard the daemon train out of nowhere" and "skinless marines and womb factories". I don't even remember if Ultramarine Genericus McCodex makes it back.

Don't worry, he survives - he's got at least one sequel. I think. I refuse to read it, because after this I am taking a break from space marines.

More complaints:

- more cameos from Storm of Iron, and they're all more badass and interesting than Uriel, which is ticking me off because this is the first book where Uriel's actually had some interesting character moments and naturally he gets outshone immediately.
- stop writing action scenes please I swear to god they're so boring
- i'm still reading Nightlords and ADB's Chaos Marines could eat these guys for lunch

Some praise:

+ the horror is incredible. You can tell McNeill is having a blast writing about horrific skin factories and demonic mutants and so on. His writing always gets a boost when he's writing about something awful, and you could see it even in his first short story with the crucified space marines on the tanks.
+ Uriel and Pasanius doubting each other and the emperor and everything is the best character work these two have ever had. Passy carving the double-headed eagle into his chest to atone for his magic healing cyber-arm is great, Uriel brooding while trudging through hell is great, it's great.

If this book were just Uriel and Passy tromping through Hell getting a guided tour it would easily be one of the best horror novels in the Black Library. As it is, between bouts of excellence I'm yawning.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I remember reading somewhere, or in this thread for that part, that McNeill's forte is anything involving horror or less than human things. Probably why he's so good for AdMech.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Cooked Auto posted:

I remember reading somewhere, or in this thread for that part, that McNeill's forte is anything involving horror or less than human things. Probably why he's so good for AdMech.

A Thousand Sons wasn't scary and didn't really involve less than human things much, but is still fantastic.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:stare:

Uriel just got stitched into a demon womb, on page 666.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

- i'm still reading Nightlords and ADB's Chaos Marines could eat these guys for lunch

In fairness to Unicorn Ventricle, those Chaos Marines have almost 10,000 years more combat experience and are pure blood first founding marines who fought in the Heresy on Terra and fought alongside Primarchs. They're also goddam hillarious.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Some praise:

+ the horror is incredible. You can tell McNeill is having a blast writing about horrific skin factories and demonic mutants and so on. His writing always gets a boost when he's writing about something awful, and you could see it even in his first short story with the crucified space marines on the tanks.

Now you've mentioned it, I do recall some of that being suitably grim. There was a scene in one of the earlier books (I had the omnibus) where a dark eldar has made a "flesh sculpture" out of someone. Which is described as him basically being perfectly vivisected so that all of his body parts are cut but still connected as if you're looking at a Haynes manual of a human. And kept alive... :stonk:

EDIT: Now that memories are returning, I also seem to recall Uriel taking ridiculous amounts of punishment in that story. I know astartes are drat near invulnerable with all the genetic doohickeys and redundancy, but I remember thinking that if this keeps up he'll be in a dreadnaught

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 10, 2019

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Quote. Edit. Yay

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dog_Meat posted:

In fairness to Unicorn Ventricle, those Chaos Marines have almost 10,000 years more combat experience and are pure blood first founding marines who fought in the Heresy on Terra and fought alongside Primarchs. They're also goddam hillarious.

Not really, due to Warp temporal shenanigans, every warband has experienced time in a different manner. For First Claw and their buddies, the Heresy was only a couple centuries ago.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Uriel birthing himself by violently squirming free

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Uriel birthing himself by violently squirming free

For some reason your avatar seems to fit really well with my recollection of that book

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Reading Dark Imperium and it's ok? The half with Guilliman's thoughts and opinions and the wider state of the Galaxy is interesting, but the other half just seems to be the starter box battles in novel form. Is the sequel worth picking up?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Muppetjedi posted:

Reading Dark Imperium and it's ok? The half with Guilliman's thoughts and opinions and the wider state of the Galaxy is interesting, but the other half just seems to be the starter box battles in novel form. Is the sequel worth picking up?

I found Dark Imperium quite lugubrious. Lots of meticulous descriptions of the minutiae of 40k life; I tuned out halfway through and never went back to it. Count me in as another interested in the sequel if it picks up!

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Muppetjedi posted:

This is an excellent way to describe that book, spot on. I stopped half way through as I got fed up with it even though guillimans thoughts & views were gripping, reading the 3rd paragraph about the new type of marine with his new type of gun and how awesome it was got really old really quick.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

rocket_Magnet posted:

This is an excellent way to describe that book, spot on. I stopped half way through as I got fed up with it even though guillimans thoughts & views were gripping, reading the 3rd paragraph about the new type of marine with his new type of gun and how awesome it was got really old really quick.

I just tuned out every part that was an obvious advertisement for little plastic men and it was ok. Really, though, the only combat scene that even stood out was that one chaos marine trying to go prone under a repulsor tank and getting squeezed out like a tube of toothpaste.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Is Vengeful Spirit by McNeill any good? It's next in line in my readthrough of the Horus heresy but I'm trying to avoid the stinkers.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Fairly average but at least is not as aggresively bad as some of the other turds in the series.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
The only thing i remember from Vengeful Spirit is they have a Horus/Loken ESB "I am your Father" moment but other than that it's a blur

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

On a similar note, I know Outcast Dead is considered not great but how 'not' is its greatness? Like is it Fulgrim level or Battle for the Abyss-tier?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Fallen Hamprince posted:

On a similar note, I know Outcast Dead is considered not great but how 'not' is its greatness? Like is it Fulgrim level or Battle for the Abyss-tier?

All in all I didn't think it was THAT bad. Certainly not Battle for the Abyss levels of grox shite.

I think my problems with it were a lovely weaboo character and a few power level inconsistencies with a world eater and custode (inconsistencies in 40k?!). It's not too bad, has some ok characters and a glimpse of the Thunderwarriors. It just...didn't really need to happen. And the cover looks like a REALLY bad rogue trader era setup

For reference, I thought Abyss was utterly dire and Fulgrim was actually OK but really ham-fisted

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 11, 2019

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Fallen Hamprince posted:

It's just INCREDIBLY unnecessary as a story.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Maybe the Thunderwarriors will come in useful for a plot in the future.

As of now its just pointless

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

The emperor was totally going to planned obsolescence the navigators, primarchs and all the space marines thunderwarrior style after conquering the universe.

He was all about the humies and space marines and primarchs were made wholly unassimilable from birth into human society both oh a mental and physical level with very few exceptions.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I like outcast dead as a stand alone and it was a super cool look at the assassins but its super unnecessary and is a perfect airplane novel

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Dog_Meat posted:

... custode (in 40k?!)...

You should read Vaults of Terra and Watchers of the Throne.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

:stare:

Uriel just got stitched into a demon womb, on page 666.

I can only imagine McNeill fist pumping and going "Yes, nailed it!" when he managed to pull that off.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Azubah posted:

You should read Vaults of Terra and Watchers of the Throne.

I have. Loved them :)

I meant that I shouldn't be surprised that a WH40k (well, 30k) book has inconsistencies in power levels according to plot.

Outcast Dead spoiler - The bit I'm going on about is when the captive, unarmoured World Eater rips an armed, armoured custode apart to escape. I know Custodes have been expanded on more since then so it's a little unfair to complain TOO much, but these are the goddam custodes. Literally head and shoulders above the astartes, created from the Emperor himself, his personal bodyguard and guys that are sent to keep an eye on errant primarchs (First Heretic). They should be to a space marine what a marine is to a human.

But Angry Dude kills him with his bare hands

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
It's just bad writing, don't sweat it too much.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
He was just that angry, ok?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I've not read it, but, I'll just use the excuse of the Custodian was super arrogant, caught completely off guard and paid the price.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

I’ve never really bought the ‘Custodes are super space marines’ thing. Even some of the fluff points out that the in-universe legend of them being to space marines what space marines are to regular humans is impossible, because that would imply an entire legion of primarchs. It makes more sense for them to be more like top-tier regular marines with different training and better equipment to suit their role as bodyguards.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

But aren't they literally "The genetics of the Primarchs, but with intense conditioning for unconditional loyalty to the Emperor"?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Randalor posted:

But aren't they literally "The genetics of the Primarchs, but with intense conditioning for unconditional loyalty to the Emperor"?

They’re definitely nowhere near Primarch-level, Horus and bros. were a one-off deal that the Emperor had to do all kinds of Extra Heretical poo poo to make. If the Emperor could manufacture an army of mindlessly loyal footsoldiers as strong a Primarchs there wouldn’t be any need for the legions, the Custodes would be enough to conquer the Galaxy with Imperial Army backup.

Fallen Hamprince fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 11, 2019

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Every time the primarchs fight it seems less like two guys having it out and more like two forces of nature having beef.

Like normal people can barely stand to be in the presence of a primarch at first, custodes and space marines are just kind of unnerving.

To me it just seems like custodes are marines that big E had a hand in every detail of creation. Not just throwing some new organs in a kid and pumping him full of super steroids and hoping for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I think it was First heretic (although I could be hugely mistaken and I'm just trying to attibute more stuff to ADB) that nailed the power levels of the Custodes the best.

One on one, a Custodes will tear an Astartes in half. Ten on ten it's even. One hundred on one hundred and the Astartes wafflestomp the boys in gold. Astartes work best as a team, Custodes are individual heroes.

I'd be down with named character bias here though. And IIRC this was a World Eater clear-headed enough to be locked up and interrogated, not just put down on sight like a mad dog and a clear headed World Eater is a terrifying thing. With an ambush as well, I get it. It'd be like opening a door expecting to see a bunch of monkeys chained up, but instead there's an angel dust snorting chipanzee on the other side with nothing to lose. You can have a gun, but that chimp is closer, angrier, and filled to they eyeballs with Florida Powder. There are so many other parts of Outcast Dead I hated that I'll allow it.