Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah but it's still generally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Aren't there tax considerations though?

As in "I realized a profit on this that is treated as regular income?" Why yes, yes there is. But it's obviously less than the amount you made. It's taxed as regular income.

If you happen to work for a large company with a stable stock price and have the risk tolerance to hold for one year + one day to get LTCG treatment then go for it. But I don't like that kind of risk concentration (considering to get ESPP shares you already work there so this is where your paycheck also comes from).

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Motronic posted:

If you happen to work for a large company with a stable stock price and have the risk tolerance to hold for one year + one day to get LTCG treatment then go for it. But I don't like that kind of risk concentration (considering to get ESPP shares you already work there so this is where your paycheck also comes from).

With ESPP you actually have to hold for 2 years to get the best treatment on a typical 6 month offering period. If you make the sale qualified then more of the purchase becomes LTCG instead of regular income. Lots of it depends on the structure of the plan though, so you have to see the details with a given employer.

In general you should Max it though and take the 15 percent at a minimum. It's throwing away free money to not get at least that.

Edit: qualifying vs disqualifying https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/investments-and-taxes/employee-stock-purchase-plans/L8NgMFpFX

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dalrain posted:

With ESPP you actually have to hold for 2 years to get the best treatment on a typical 6 month offering period.

Read your link, that's weird and I'm not arsed to research it anymore because I will never give a gently caress.

Important takeaway: listen to Dalrain and continue researching if you aren't going to take my advice to sell immediately.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
How does pension vesting work?

I had to join a union in order to do my freelance gig in another city. I work maybe 20 days a year over there on average.

Part of the union deal is a pension plan. My statement says I’ve accumulated a balance of over $30,000 over the last decade but it’s 0% vested until I work 50 days in a year.

If I keep working 20 days a year, am I basically never getting that money, even in retirement?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

You'll probably get your contributions paid back, plus perhaps some interest if you're lucky. But yeah, you'll never get the pension if you don't meet the vesting requirements.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Is there a thread for engagement ring shopping? I'm in the market and there's a lot of things id like to ask questions about because this whole market is sketchy.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Quandary posted:

Is there a thread for engagement ring shopping? I'm in the market and there's a lot of things id like to ask questions about because this whole market is sketchy.
If it's a good enough story you could ask about it in the BWM thread (don't do that).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Either way your post will show up in the BWM thread. Are you more of a 2 month salary or a 3 month salary kinda guy?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

REI had silicon ones for $20.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Real answer you should talk to your partner about what they want and then probably find a way to spend half that (or less).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah seriously, there are few worse uses of money than a flashy ring. In the last year I bought a 10,000 ring, received an obviously worthless insurance appraisal for 14,000, and more recently received offers between 1,000 and 2,300 to buy it

I'm not saying you should consider "we might break up!!" but I am going to say that your ring is instantly worth 20% of what you paid for it once it's "used"

(incredible lol at the concept of a used diamond)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Quandary posted:

The actual answer is https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2764878

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Quandary posted:

Unless your bride to be is a jeweler, most of the C’s are nonsense except for size. No one is going to inspect the stone for clarity or color. Most retail jewelers are full of poo poo anyway.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I would absolutely buy a "used" ring at an 80% discount lol.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Volkerball posted:

I would absolutely buy a "used" ring at an 80% discount lol.

Life is hard enough without adding bad juju from a cursed wedding ring to your relationship.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Don't mislead OP, here is the correct URL: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878671

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Quandary posted:

Buy a used ring on the cheap, reset the stone in whatever setting your partner likes.

Mr Newsman posted:

Life is hard enough without adding bad juju from a cursed wedding ring to your relationship.
Obviously pay a healer to reset the crystal vibration memory, I mean that's like a given

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone know what Amplify at Ally is? I got an email about 'joining' it

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Dalrain posted:

With ESPP you actually have to hold for 2 years to get the best treatment on a typical 6 month offering period. If you make the sale qualified then more of the purchase becomes LTCG instead of regular income. Lots of it depends on the structure of the plan though, so you have to see the details with a given employer.

In general you should Max it though and take the 15 percent at a minimum. It's throwing away free money to not get at least that.

Edit: qualifying vs disqualifying https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/investments-and-taxes/employee-stock-purchase-plans/L8NgMFpFX

So, to follow up with this, they say I can't sell for a year and there are tax implications for selling after 2. I would be allowed to buy way more than I ever would, so that's not an issue. However, the discount is 15%. That 15% is going to get a bite taken out of it for two years by inflation and who knows, it could go down. So, it doesn't sound better than normal tax advantaged space, which I am not currently maxing out anyway. In the hierarchy of 401K to match / Roth IRA / 401k to max / post tax brokerage, where does this sort of thing lie? I assume after the first three.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah seriously, there are few worse uses of money than a flashy ring. In the last year I bought a 10,000 ring, received an obviously worthless insurance appraisal for 14,000, and more recently received offers between 1,000 and 2,300 to buy it

I'm not saying you should consider "we might break up!!" but I am going to say that your ring is instantly worth 20% of what you paid for it once it's "used"

(incredible lol at the concept of a used diamond)

Btw whether it’s window coverings, living room furniture, or rings, it is possible to spend less than $10k on these one time purchases.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Have you tried making window coverings out of interlocked engagement rings?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

howdoesishotweb posted:

Btw whether it’s window coverings, living room furniture, or rings, it is possible to spend less than $10k on these one time purchases.

Everybody knows that, silly. I wanted a certain level of quality and/or features that weren't available from lesser options. Ever noticed how some cars cost $10,000 and others cost $150,000?

The ring was a "the missus wants -specific ring- which costs -specific price-" so it doesn't matter if there's $5 Amazon silicone rings

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Everybody knows that, silly. I wanted a certain level of quality and/or features that weren't available from lesser options. Ever noticed how some cars cost $10,000 and others cost $150,000?

What has better quality and features, a brand new $150k car, or a one year old $150k car who's MSRP was $300k?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Let's move away from car analogies and toward "Hunter Douglas double cell honeycomb shades with cordless opening for 17 oversize windows and one large sliding patio door"

Like yeah you can get $300 bucks of curtains for a little A-Frame house but that's comparing crab apples to sumo citrus oranges

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
One of the reasons I'm stingy about things that don't really matter is so that I can spend more on things that have better value to me - especially things that I enjoy or help me complete another task in less time or money in a forward going fashion.

If you spend a lot of time at home, it's probably worth it to spend a little more money so you can really enhance that home, isn't it?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

One of the reasons I'm stingy about things that don't really matter is so that I can spend more on things that have better value to me - especially things that I enjoy or help me complete another task in less time or money in a forward going fashion.

If you spend a lot of time at home, it's probably worth it to spend a little more money so you can really enhance that home, isn't it?

Hell yeah. The reason I went for fancypants window coverings is because

this fat fuckin' cat loves to eat STRING and she totally devoured the string controls off all of my blinds (well over 40 feet of string over the course of 2 weeks, all pooped out since then)

And the house has aluminum windows that bleed heating and cooling like a sieve. Upgrading the shades to double-cell gave me better insulation and upgrading to cordless means my cat won't kill herself! Double credit!!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

this fat fuckin' cat loves to eat STRING and she totally devoured the string controls off all of my blinds (well over 40 feet of string over the course of 2 weeks, all pooped out since then)

And the house has aluminum windows that bleed heating and cooling like a sieve. Upgrading the shades to double-cell gave me better insulation and upgrading to cordless means my cat won't kill herself! Double credit!!

If you're going to stay in the place for a while you might as well go ahead and do the windows man.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

If you're going to stay in the place for a while you might as well go ahead and do the windows man.

$38,000!!!!!

They're double pane aluminum so they're at least not completely worthless or terribly ugly, but yeah I will probably want to do them in the next 3-5 years :negative:

Luckily I can reuse the shades if I do!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

$38,000!!!!!

They're double pane aluminum so they're at least not completely worthless or terribly ugly, but yeah I will probably want to do them in the next 3-5 years :negative:

Luckily I can reuse the shades if I do!

Andersen or Pella?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Feel like I can kinda relate to this catte.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
1) Is it at all possible for me and my fiancée to buy a house in our lifetimes?

I make about $2000/month takehome, and am an underemployed research scientist (hiring freeze at my current employer, and few openings for jobs due to NSF funding crunches and general lack of investment in science). I could be making a good deal more, but I would probably have to move out of state to chase any decent job opportunity, which she would greatly prefer not to do.
She makes about $2400/month takehome including commissions, and is a salesperson and customer service guy at a consumer electronics business. We're taking GIS courses so she can change her career, which she dislikes.
Neither of us has student loans.
Our rent is $1550/month for a 1bd/1ba condo.
We live in San Diego.
We're getting married in spring 2020 and mostly paying for it ourselves.
We would love to have a small house, with a yard for a vegetable garden and separate so we can *ahem* throw parties.

My savings per month:
$150 plus any overtime or windfalls - emergency fund
$100 - wedding
$100 - Roth IRA
I also have a work pension I'm paying into, that will vest in 3 years. Payment per month undetermined

Her savings per month:
$250 - emergency fund
$100-150 - wedding
$150 - Roth IRA through work (they don't match, the fuckers)

My debts per month:
None

Her debts per month:
$150 - car payment (about $7k left to go)
~$100 - credit card payment (about $1.2k left to go)

I plugged how much we might be able to save up for a down payment after the wedding ($10-15k, which would take 4 years given current income and leftover money) and how much we can probably pay per month on a mortgage and associated costs ($1600/month) into a house affordability calculator and it told me $250k. All I can see listed are manufactured houses, tiny condos, pre-foreclosure houses, and actual foreclosure and auction properties that are in roughhhhh shape.

Is this what I can expect from our financial situation and the state of housing in SD? Is it realistic of me to have this as a future goal, or should we set it aside permanently in favor of aggressively prioritizing other things like retirement?

2) Financial counseling is a good idea before you marry someone, right? Should I talk to my Charles Schwab guy, or get an actual counselor/therapist? My fiancée is fully on board, but neither of us have done this before, so I don't know where to start. Googling "financial counseling" leaves me hesitant that I would be able to find someone a) affordable b) who would give us personal advice and not a template to follow.

Thanx :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The California real estate market is hosed. With your current income levels I don't see you being able to afford anything anywhere near a major population center in the state, unfortunately. Not unless something happens to drive prices down, like a massive increase in housing stock, or some kind of statewide catastrophe.

That said, a research scientist ought to be able to find reasonably well-paying industry positions, depending on your specialty. In particular there's lots of life sciences companies that need people with wetlab experience.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Given the huge amount of biotech I'm surprised you're under employed in San Diego. I work in pharma here myself. What's your specialty?

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT

Spikes32 posted:

Given the huge amount of biotech I'm surprised you're under employed in San Diego. I work in pharma here myself. What's your specialty?
I'm an ecologist :(

I could definitely work at an environmental consulting firm ($$$), but I'm pretty early career. I've been keeping my eyes open for mid-level openings and, meanwhile, putting in a few years at this job to get publications and certs under my belt so I can justify being hired at that level. Then I would have much more money!

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

snailshell posted:

I'm an ecologist :(

I could definitely work at an environmental consulting firm ($$$), but I'm pretty early career. I've been keeping my eyes open for mid-level openings and, meanwhile, putting in a few years at this job to get publications and certs under my belt so I can justify being hired at that level. Then I would have much more money!

Ahh. Yeah that's a tougher sell in SD. With a bio degree you could try moving into pharma qc / em, the pay is decent and gets good but beware the utter monotony/lack of anything real to do with your degree.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Magnetic North posted:

In the hierarchy of 401K to match / Roth IRA / 401k to max / post tax brokerage, where does this sort of thing lie? I assume after the first three.

I personally feel it would be after number 2 there, because it is literally free money you can then feed into those other things. Remember if you're holding for the longer term, the stock should also appreciate in value more than the 15 percent if your company is doing well. (Should definitely keep up with inflation anyway) Holding is gambling though, so you most definitely can just sell immediately on acquisition. It's all about your tolerance for risk and how much you care about the potential tax rate. The tax part really only matters in any appreciable way if you're in a fairly high bracket.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Boy I am just full of questions lately.

I have a question about Backdoor Roths. I have a 401k from my previous employer, and if I'm reading this correctly, they can close it now that I've left the company? (Somewhere else said that over a certain value I legally can stay, so maybe I am misinterpreting this). Still, I guess I should transfer it to a new IRA, which made me wonder if I should get it into my Roth, as I already have one of those but not a normal IRA. The instructions online talk about "creating" and IRA and "creating" a Roth, and others talked about "hiding" your existing IRAs. Is the Backdoor method somehow integral to the creation of a new Roth? And is this even the type of situation where it would be worth doing?

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Do you like your 401k, ie fees and fund choices? If so, then check your plan and with HR to see if you can keep it open after you leave.

If you don’t, or aren’t allowed to, then you can roll the 401k over into a traditional IRA without tax/penalty. If you then convert it to a Roth IRA, you will have to pay taxes on the conversion at your marginal rate.

A “backdoor” Roth is for high earners. You put the annual max into a traditional IRA using post-tax dollars, then convert it into a Roth in the same year. You didn’t claim the tax deduction for the contribution so there’s no taxable event for the conversion.

If your new job offers a 401k it may be worthwhile rolling old into new, plan details are key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Anyone have some experience or advice for working outside the US for a few years but continuing your saving and investments?

We are planning to spend 3 years living and working in the Netherlands and then moving back to the US. We will both work for Dutch companies and be making salaries in euros going into Dutch bank accounts. For long term savings and investments does it make sense to transfer money we want to save/invest into our US bank accounts monthly and put them into mutual funds like we currently do? Are there any tax implications or fees we'll need to keep in mind while doing this?

Another thing I am concerned about is retirement savings. I guess instead of contributing to a Roth I'll just be putting that extra $6000 a year into general taxable investment accounts? It looks like you are not eligible to contribute to an IRA if you don't have any taxable US income.