Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

SHISHKABOB posted:

I still think the only woman he's actually had relations with is Misato. Sure he acts like a slut with Ritsuko but that's just for show. Same way Misato acts in front of Shinji, etc.
This doesn't really....change anything? Misato is still made super uncomfortable by his actions. Some of the children as well and arguably Ritsuko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Expect My Mom posted:

This doesn't really....change anything? Misato is still made super uncomfortable by his actions. Some of the children as well and arguably Ritsuko.

I didn't say it didn't change those things, I just think it's interesting from the perspective of assigning Kaji the role of "male sex icon". It's the same as Misato, who tells us/him that Kaji is the only person she's had sex with.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Oh gotcha! Yeah sure, I could believe it. I'll have to get to the more Kaji centric episodes in my rewatch but he seems.....too good at his scummy poo poo to have just been with Misato.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It's weird how lighthearted the middle stretch of episodes are. Every talks about how depressing and such the show is and then you get 10 or so episodes of everyone smiling and getting along while fighting non-traumatizing monsters-of-the-week.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Waypoint's new ep is up btw this should be a good one, they're already freaking out over ep 19 in the intro

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/match-3/vice-gamings-new-podcast/e/62513626

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

galagazombie posted:

It's weird how lighthearted the middle stretch of episodes are. Every talks about how depressing and such the show is and then you get 10 or so episodes of everyone smiling and getting along while fighting non-traumatizing monsters-of-the-week.
things generally get better before they get worse

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
a lot of ppl talk about those eps, like noone can go a discussion of best eva episodes without mentioning the dance ep. Also seeing them get along makes the gutpunch worse

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Every single person I've spoken about Eva with has always said its obvious she's propositioning him. Every time I watch it with someone for the first time they go "oh my god Misato noOO" as it happens and these last couple of pages are the first time I've ever seen anyone say they interpreted it differently. Wild.

Also holding/touching hands is incredibly intimate and way more so than a hug, or at least where I'm from and from every piece of media that I've ever consumed that I can remember. Friends and family hug all the time, they tend not to hold/touch hands once it isn't necessary to stop you from running off and getting hit by a car.

ArfJason posted:

a lot of ppl talk about those eps, like noone can go a discussion of best eva episodes without mentioning the dance ep. Also seeing them get along makes the gutpunch worse

Whatever you think of them, the true crime of the Rebuilds is cutting that episode. It's so good.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
There are lots of clues to people's motivations and psychology both before and after Misato offers to comfort Shinji.

Misato tells herself that she's Shinji's guardian, but she is in fact lying to herself in thinking she has the emotional stability and maturity to act as such.
Backed into a corner, she turns to physical contact - her 'go to' solution for emotional comfort - to try and cheer up Shinji.

It completely doesn't work. Shinji doesn't want physical closeness. He wants someone to properly love and care for him as a person. Misato's advances aren't just unwanted, they illustrate to him how little even she understands him.

When Misato then leaves and is also rejected by Pen Pen, she comes to realize that SHE'S the one who is miserable and seeking some sort of comfort, verifying and justifying Shinji's rejection of her. She herself is too damaged and immature to act as a support pillar for someone like Shinji. She's actually trying to make herself feel better, rather than properly caring about Shinji and his needs in the way a proper surrogate parent would.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 12, 2019

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

Every single person I've spoken about Eva with has always said its obvious she's propositioning him. Every time I watch it with someone for the first time they go "oh my god Misato noOO" as it happens and these last couple of pages are the first time I've ever seen anyone say they interpreted it differently. Wild.

Also holding/touching hands is incredibly intimate and way more so than a hug, or at least where I'm from and from every piece of media that I've ever consumed that I can remember. Friends and family hug all the time, they tend not to hold/touch hands once it isn't necessary to stop you from running off and getting hit by a car.

Whatever you think of them, the true crime of the Rebuilds is cutting that episode. It's so good.

The middle episodes always remind me of the ones in Cowboy Bebop where they are all getting into their groove together. Similar progression downward from there. Although I'd say Eva has probably a more positive/upbeat ending despite all it goes into.

Even though I went off the rails more than I should have about it, I was genuinely surprised to find such disagreement about what was happening in that Misato/Shinji scene. I've always taken it to be such a clear demonstration of wrong behavior that I can't really process what the scene means if it's just Shinji rejecting platonic comfort/friendship. It makes the scene about him failing, yet again, even when he isn't. He's struggling and needs help and she totally damages him even more. She's positioned at all these crucial places in the show and fails, because she isn't much more than a broken kid too. To interpret the scene that way almost transforms the role she plays there, and puts the blame on Shinji for turning away.

or said better:

Soul Reaver posted:

It completely doesn't work. Shinji doesn't want physical closeness. He wants someone to properly love and care for him as a person. Misato's advances aren't just unwanted, they illustrate to him how little even she understands him.

When Misato then leaves and is also rejected by Pen Pen, she comes to realize that SHE'S the one who is miserable and seeking some sort of comfort, verifying and justifying Shinji's rejection of her. She herself is too damaged and immature to act as a support pillar for someone like Shinji. She's actually trying to making herself feel better, rather than properly caring about Shinji and his needs in the way a proper surrogate parent would.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 12, 2019

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc

EthanSteele posted:

Also known as: “The Episode Where the N2 Mines Are Somewhat Effective”

Tune in a couple episodes later for: “The Pallet Guns Worked?!”

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

EthanSteele posted:

This seems like a cultural thing, then. Do they not shake hands where you're from?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

EthanSteele posted:

Also holding/touching hands is incredibly intimate and way more so than a hug, or at least where I'm from

Last I heard America was one of the only places on Earth where hugs aren't the more intimate interaction. Which, I mean, makes sense to me. It's way closer to loving that smooching on the cheek or something like that.

I have no actual verification for this beyond be told by a foreign born teacher in college a while back though so ymmv

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

This seems like a cultural thing, then. Do they not shake hands where you're from?

This hand ain't shaking.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean if I were just reading a wikipedia summary of the scene and it said 'she touches his hand' then I wouldn't be sure either. But having watched the actual episode Misato's body language, the way her line is delivered and Shinji's reaction makes the implication clear, and her guilt over it in episode 25 makes it undeniable.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 12, 2019

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

lol I just realized one of the handshake posters is the same guy who was stanning for old Jeff Epstein the other day.

I just sat and rewatched that episode. Holy gently caress it's not even ambiguous.

"Shinji, I'm coming in"
"Misato, I'm sad but the tears aren't coming. I'm sad, but the tears just wont come"
"Shinji, all I can do for you right now is this"
*reaches to place her hand on top of his*
*he jerks away*
"knock it off misato. Don't Misato"
"I'm sorry"
*leaves room*

Then in episodes 25+26:

MISATO: Harsh reality? That's me, isn't it? Of course, just look at me. It's only to be expected.
SHINJI: Stop it, Misato!
MISATO: Sometimes, I lose all hope for myself! I hate it!
IBUKI: FiIth, you're so dirty.
RITSUKO: You're pathetic.

So I guess that handshake is deeply related to how filthy pathetic and dirty she feels. What a bad handshake.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 12, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

P-Mack posted:

This hand ain't shaking.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Someone earlier mentioned that this was cut entirely from ADV's version - is that true? I guess that could colour your perception if that was your first viewing.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Someone earlier mentioned that this was cut entirely from ADV's version - is that true? I guess that could colour your perception if that was your first viewing.

No, but the line isn't quite as overtly suggestive.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Well, this is the fault of the creators, in the end. A lot of trouble could have been avoided if they'd just shown her moving on to bone the penguin after being rejected.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Peacoffee posted:

lol I just realized one of the handshake posters is the same guy who was stanning for old Jeff Epstein the other day.

To address this, I never loving defended Epstein. I said (and I stand by this) that you can't conclude without evidence that everyone he knew socially was also a pedophile. People in the thread got probated by the USPOL IK for equating that kind of statement with "defending epstein', but I got probated by the C-SPAM mod because he doesn't like me (because he's a tankie and I'm not one).

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Peacoffee posted:

I just sat and rewatched that episode. Holy gently caress it's not even ambiguous.

"Shinji, I'm coming in"
"Misato, I'm sad but the tears aren't coming. I'm sad, but the tears just wont come"
"Shinji, all I can do for you right now is this"
*reaches to place her hand on top of his*
*he jerks away*
"knock it off misato. Don't Misato"
"I'm sorry"
*leaves room*

Gonna be honest here: this still seems pretty dang ambigous!

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

cargohills posted:

Gonna be honest here: this still seems pretty dang ambigous!

except for the parts before, and after. Even during.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Ogmius815 posted:

To address this, I never loving defended Epstein. I said (and I stand by this) that you can't conclude without evidence that everyone he knew socially was also a pedophile. People in the thread got probated by the USPOL IK for equating that kind of statement with "defending epstein', but I got probated by the C-SPAM mod because he doesn't like me (because he's a tankie and I'm not one).
lmfao at this post

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

This was definitely a good post to make in the Neon Genesis Evangelion thread.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Midjack posted:

This was definitely a good post to make in the Neon Genesis Evangelion thread.

I'm not the one who brought it up. Jeffrey Epstein is loving gross and when I am unfairly accused of "stanning" for him, I'm going to respond.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 12, 2019

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
hosed up that SEELE was in Epstein's black book

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
the show reuses the post-sex shot of misato and kaji holding hands a literal billion times, her attempting the same action with shinji is so obvious that i wonder about the media comprehension ability of a lot of you

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

hosed up that SEELE was

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

hosed up that SEELE was in Epstein's black book
Actually they called it the Marduk report

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Million Ghosts posted:

the show reuses the post-sex shot of misato and kaji holding hands a literal billion times, her attempting the same action with shinji is so obvious that i wonder about the media comprehension ability of a lot of you

hand in hand to be fair

wait she holds hands with shinji in the rebuilds, does that mean they've hosed

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Zeruel posted:

hand in hand to be fair

wait she holds hands with shinji in the rebuilds, does that mean they've hosed

Right there before Lillith on the cross, baby.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Here's one of my favorite hosed up bits of End of Evangelion:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's a lot of hand symbolism in this show that I don't think anyone has brought up in this whole discussion. A big moment of hand-touching intimacy is in episode 24 when Shinji and Kaworu are in the NERV bath together and Kaworu touches Shinji's hand while they're sitting next to each other. Which is followed by them in Kaworu's apartment sleeping next to each other, separately.

I think it should be important to also consider all the times that the Evangelion's hand is focused on.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Predictably the Waypoint podcast of 14-19 was much more enjoyable, both for them and for us as listeners. I'm curious as to what reservations Austin has about the coming episodes because as far as I'm concerned, everything going forward is..."necessary" is maybe a strong word, but I don't think there is anything that is not intentionally done for stronger thematic or narrative purposes (as opposed to the more gratuitous stuff that they took issue with in 8-13). Which is not to say they have to enjoy what's coming given how much they liked the 17-19 arc, but I don't think there's anything Austin should need to coach or guide their enthusiasm if they are in it at this point.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Nate RFB posted:

Predictably the Waypoint podcast of 14-19 was much more enjoyable, both for them and for us as listeners. I'm curious as to what reservations Austin has about the coming episodes because as far as I'm concerned, everything going forward is..."necessary" is maybe a strong word, but I don't think there is anything that is not intentionally done for stronger thematic or narrative purposes (as opposed to the more gratuitous stuff that they took issue with in 8-13). Which is not to say they have to enjoy what's coming given how much they liked the 17-19 arc, but I don't think there's anything Austin should need to coach or guide their enthusiasm if they are in it at this point.

The next batch of episodes (20-24) are loving wild, so I'm looking forward to their thoughts.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Why does the geofeont look like it’s outside in the open atmosphere? Where is all the light coming from?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Tokyo-3 is mostly empty so there's solar reflectors around that channel light into the Geofront.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ogmius815 posted:

Why does the geofeont look like it’s outside in the open atmosphere? Where is all the light coming from?

They say in one of the episodes (I don’t remember which) that sunlight is channeled into the Geofront from the surface through fiberoptics.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

They say in one of the episodes (I don’t remember which) that sunlight is channeled into the Geofront from the surface through fiberoptics.

which is neat because we're well into that phase of lighting tech now, albiet at very high cost.

e: granted, "neat" as in "we might have rich people living below the surface while the world burns" but still. Interesting is maybe a better word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc

FilthyImp posted:

Tokyo-3 is mostly empty so there's solar reflectors around that channel light into the Geofront.
I think they showed a shot in Rebuild, maybe in the TV version, of the tall, flat reflectors during the scene where Misato takes Shinji to the overlook.