Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

drat, tomorrow is looking absolutely barren as far as releases go. All I've got is a Merzbow release and a brutal death album on the docket.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nazzadan posted:

drat, tomorrow is looking absolutely barren as far as releases go. All I've got is a Merzbow release and a brutal death album on the docket.

New Torche!

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Nazzadan posted:

New Disentomb!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Apparently I was wrong, poo poo is coming out!

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Nazzadan posted:

New False!

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Going to the release show on Saturday, should be good.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

it's not like music needs to come out every drat day. there's a million old records you haven't heard yet that are cool

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Yeah I've been getting recommendations from friends IRL on that Nucleus album so as far as I'm concerned you've made it.

Thats sick!

Also Trevor from BDM is a cool dude. Hes come out to see us both times we played Detroit.

Frank Caskelot posted:

Thanks, but I meant a bit more detailed rundown, like say, what was a guitar or bass signal chain like.

Man I'm pretty incompetent. I'm not much of a gear guy. I pretty much only run through a volume pedal->ISP Decimater noise gate->Carbon Copy(that I turn on for rare weird parts)->5150 Cabs.

I think my other guitarist runs through some sort of equalizer pedal and uses a chorus pedal once in a while for weird sounding parts, also through 5150. Neither of us are too pedal/gear focused. The guy who recorded our albums threw some reverb on our guitars for the album recording though.

EDIT: Our bassist runs right into a bass head I don't remember the name of but it smells like burning 50% of the time and stops working the other 50%.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Wyzt posted:

EDIT: Our bassist runs right into a bass head I don't remember the name of but it smells like burning 50% of the time and stops working the other 50%.

This is extremely metal

Hoping for a Boston show some day.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

A human heart posted:

it's not like music needs to come out every drat day. there's a million old records you haven't heard yet that are cool

Don't you know that old music is destroyed when new music comes out.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Wyzt posted:

Man I'm pretty incompetent. I'm not much of a gear guy. I pretty much only run through a volume pedal->ISP Decimater noise gate->Carbon Copy(that I turn on for rare weird parts)->5150 Cabs.

I think my other guitarist runs through some sort of equalizer pedal and uses a chorus pedal once in a while for weird sounding parts, also through 5150. Neither of us are too pedal/gear focused. The guy who recorded our albums threw some reverb on our guitars for the album recording though.

Thanks! This is detailed enough to give a decent picture.

I did a rundown of my gear as used on Ever Circling Wolves's Of Woe... back in 2013 or 2014 (we recorded the guitars in 2012 and 2013) and it's up on our seldom-updated blogspot if anyone's interested. I've since opted out of using the fx loop on my amp and bought and built a shitload of pedals to replace the ones I used back then. We meant for the other guys to post about their stuff, too, but they never got around to it. I guess they're not that much of gear guys either.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
My favourite musician to explain his equipment and recording process will forever be Orlok from Countess.

About The Gospel of the Horned One

quote:

I had only brought my bass along, my Aria Pro II IGB-50 I always used on recordings at the time, but the amps and other equipment Zénon and Vercingetorix had arranged for the recording – mostly borrowed stuff – were not exactly the best. The bass amp looked like an unidentifiable home-made thing if it was a bass amp at all and Zénon was using a Marshall guitar amp that looked incredibly old though I don't remember the exact type. His guitar was a quite reasonable Charvel though and he used a quite modern electronic Boss effects processor as well. The drum kit was equally old and small, with just one bass, but that hardly mattered since Vercingetorix' drumming skills would never have allowed him to make any use of two, and then there was a quite decent Roland keyboard, though I don't remember the exact type.

about Shining Swords of Hate

quote:

I didn't really write the songs for this album; I just programmed some rhythm parts (as sloppy as possible) and started playing, improvising as I went along. Recording again in my own Black Lust Studio, I laid down the bass tracks using my Ibanez SB 900 LK, plugged straight into the mixing desk through my Boss ODB-3, and then did the guitar parts on my Ibanez RX 350 BK, also plugged straight into the mixing desk through my Boss HM-3 and Zoom 1202. I did the rhythm guitar parts three times to get a really thick sound. While I was playing the first rhythm guitar on Total War, I broke a string. Instead of playing that part over, I just left the breaking of the string on the album. That's the kind of album this was supposed to be.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MrBling posted:

My favourite musician to explain his equipment and recording process will forever be Orlok from Countess.

Now that’s the good poo poo

A human heart posted:

I should stick this post on my wall to help fight off the urge to check out every new release ever tbh

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

MrBling posted:

This is inspirational.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
You can read more here http://www.barbarianwrath.org/Countess/ its at the end of the various album entries.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

MrBling posted:

Countess is cool but i really do struggle to get into the tinny guitar tones he uses sometimes.. the last album felt weirdly high budget because it actually had real drums and other musicians on it for once

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

New Opeth - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ko4_eO2tiU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I can’t keep up with every new release and so much stuff slips through the cracks, but I just started listening to last years Horrendous record and it is extremely my poo poo.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

wow this is extraordinarily bad

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ok, 30 seconds of that preview before sounded ok but I am not digging 17 minutes. I don't think I heard any death vox either. :/

On a totally different plane I just finished Stranger Things - S3 and remembered how much I loved this cover by Dragonland of Never Ending Story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ5gf02Xua4

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
for the first 3 seconds of that opeth track i thought i was listening to barracuda

e:

Vintersorg posted:

Ok, 30 seconds of that preview before sounded ok but I am not digging 17 minutes. I don't think I heard any death vox either. :/

it's only 8.5 minutes, they recorded each song in two languages and that video has both of them back to back

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: That's what I get for skipping around. Had no idea there was a break.

Remember when they wrote masterpieces of metal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZKLQMMj2yQ

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Blackwater Park, Still Life, and the first half of Ghost Reveries are still absolutely phenomenal, but by Ghost Reveries track #5 the writing was on the wall where they were headed =/

MR.B
Mar 15, 2007

I am the Owl
new opeth song is killer. or am i not allowed to say that newpeth is good? ONLY BRUTALZ METALZ ONLY right goons?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Songkick just alerted me that mother loving Behold... The Arctopus is playing my city, should I go

E: context

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 12, 2019

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

MR.B posted:

ONLY BRUTALZ METALZ ONLY right goons?

yeah, actually

MR.B
Mar 15, 2007

I am the Owl

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

yeah, actually

oh, in that case, I apologise.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MR.B posted:

new opeth song is killer. or am i not allowed to say that newpeth is good? ONLY BRUTALZ METALZ ONLY right goons?

I like it so far.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
They posted it on IG and nearly every comment is like "uhhhh no growls?" "bring back the growls Michael!" etc. have people not paid attention? They're not bringing back the growls. That era is over. It has been for several years. Michael has even said there will be no more growls. It's time to move on folks.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MR.B posted:

No one says this you idiot.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Vintersorg posted:

I’m thinking it

MR.B
Mar 15, 2007

I am the Owl

Vintersorg posted:

the exact words? No. But you get people who pine over ancient opeth songs like moonlapse, under the weeping moon, deliverance etc despite the fact Opeth stopped doing stuff like that almost a decade (10 years) ago. While dismissing newer music, because of no growling.

that being said, Heritage was pretty bland.

MR.B fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 12, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vintersorg posted:

People in here get really pissy about certain bands being brought up.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

They posted it on IG and nearly every comment is like "uhhhh no growls?" "bring back the growls Michael!" etc. have people not paid attention? They're not bringing back the growls. That era is over. It has been for several years. Michael has even said there will be no more growls. It's time to move on folks.

:yeah:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you pine over old Opeth just lol

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
So Tomb Mold was pretty good last night. I keep forgetting that they have 3 full-lengths completed so they had a nice long full set list. Got to hear a few songs that they haven't played live before (Detroit was the first stop of the tour).

Mutilatred put on a hell of a show, as I predicted. They were a lot of fun.

The venue I was in was tiny and the whole time they were playing old WWF videos on the TVs.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
be cool like me and think opeth always sucked

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
the very first page of this thread had a "no discussing the new opeth album because it's not metal" post

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
MAYH, Still Life, Blackwater Park was a hell of a good run

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

kumba posted:

Blackwater Park, Still Life, and the first half of Ghost Reveries are still absolutely phenomenal, but by Ghost Reveries track #5 the writing was on the wall where they were headed =/

I saw the writing on the wall a few years prior when Damnation was released. There's no going back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Looking back, Watershed wasn't that good. Their sound was getting stale. The new one doesn't interest me.