Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i'm surprised at how much this has affected me. the thought of someone deliberately ruining a fancy cheeses party makes me furious. it's like spitting on a bride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nankeen posted:

i think it's when you include fancy cheeses that tempers start running high

Nah cheese goes well with beer

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Reminds me of a party where there were beers and wines and a cheese platter and a chicken salad and at some point people discovered there was no chicken in the chicken salad.

In case some of you aren't able to crack this mystery: I had eaten all the bits of chicken from the chicken salad. Went well with the cheeses.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Jerry Cotton posted:

Reminds me of a party where there were beers and wines and a cheese platter and a chicken salad and at some point people discovered there was no chicken in the chicken salad.

In case some of you aren't able to crack this mystery: I had eaten all the bits of chicken from the chicken salad. Went well with the cheeses.
you are a disgrace and i'm personally going to tan your filthy hide

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nankeen posted:

i'm surprised at how much this has affected me. the thought of someone deliberately ruining a fancy cheeses party makes me furious. it's like spitting on a bride

Look we're all civil adults here, let's come to an agreement. The ideal solution would have been to take the fancy cheese and eat them with the beer

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jerry Cotton posted:

you're like if Fraser did an episode about the dude who ate half a party sub

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh my god

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

sexpig by night posted:

Look we're all civil adults here, let's come to an agreement. The ideal solution would have been to take the fancy cheese and eat them with the beer

Melt the cheese and dip bread in it.

Then put everyone's keys in a bowl.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

throwing a raucous but innocent party where everyone has a good time to own the goonettes itt

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sexpig by night posted:

you're like if Fraser did an episode about the dude who ate half a party sub

This whole thread is basically Frasier right now

I'm the dog

Or possibly the goat

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Does "chicken salad" mean something else in Finland, or are you literally confessing to leaving a sad bowl of celery mayonnaise in your wake?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

sexpig by night posted:

why don't you just stick a cold one up your own pink rear end in a top hat and give your prostate a good foaming you undignified filth hound. i am literally going to come to your house with a nice prosecco, a tempranillo, a riesling, and a cabernet sauvignon

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My boss wants me in the office 35 hours a week, but will only pay me for 5 of them.

I'm employed as a counselor at a small mental health agency in Colorado. I am not an independent contractor. From my understanding, it's fairly common for employers in my field to only pay clinicians for "billable hours" or hours that you're actually seeing a client. This is the arrangement that my boss and I have, and originally he told me that I would have no issues getting clients since the agency has a long wait list. After getting hired, I found out this is not the case and I currently only see 5 people a week.

The issue I'm having is that my boss has told me that he wants me to stay in the office from 9am to 4 pm, Monday through Friday to be available incase there is a walk-in client. He is not paying me for these 30 hours that I'm in the office but not seeing anyone. I'm not making enough from the clients I do see (about one a day) to cover the other hours that I'm in the office. This means that I'm making considerably below minimum wage for my state. I'm already looking for a new job because I can't pay my bills at this point. I'm relatively new to this field, and I have no idea if this is legal? I've asked my supervisors, however, they're all independent contractors so they don't know what to tell me.

Am I entitled to at least make minimum wage for the time that I'm being required to be in the office?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Does "chicken salad" mean something else in Finland, or are you literally confessing to leaving a sad bowl of celery mayonnaise in your wake?

There were some tomatoes and cucumber and poo poo in there too. Effectively I created a regular salad out of chicken salad. To be honest at about two o'clock I really didn't think anyone would notice. I was wrong.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This whole thread is basically Frasier right now

I'm the dog

Or possibly the goat

I'm the tossed salad and scrambled eggs.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
if anybody ever disrespects the fancy cheese parties i throw when i've got my goat dairy alternate revenue stream established, so help them, i will put them on the milker

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Jerry Cotton posted:

There were some tomatoes and cucumber and poo poo in there too. Effectively I created a regular salad out of chicken salad. To be honest at about two o'clock I really didn't think anyone would notice. I was wrong.
you are literally a dog in your habits and philosophy

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for confronting my stepdaughter about the way she treats my wife?

I started dating my now wife when my stepdaughter (SD) was 13. She was an unruly child who constantly cried and whined and lashed out for attention. My wife couldn't take SD's crap anymore so she kicked her out when she was 14. SD moved in with her father, who's a jerk to me and my wife but he did a good job disciplining SD. He had turned her into a nice, quiet and obedient child.

SD continued to behave and treat us with respect until she moved to another city when she was 24. She stopped coming home for holidays. My wife was devastated, but she understood that SD needed to have a life of her own.

SD is 28 now, and the angry emails started coming 2 years ago. They're incoherent rant-filled emails with all kinds of outlandish accusations toward my wife. Lots of accusations of neglect and abuse being thrown around. More accusations of favoring her siblings over her. My wife tried to justify herself in the beginning but it only made SD angrier, so my wife decided to ignore these emails altogether. Every time my wife gets one of these nasty emails, she breaks down crying. She has had to call off work to recoup from the pain of reading these emails. I've spent countless hours comforting my wife and telling her that she was not the problem and SD just needed therapy to deal with her own issues instead of taking them out on my wife.

My wife has another daughter who's SD's younger sister. Honestly, she's much nicer and gets along with my wife. She goes to my wife every time she has a problem and my wife helps her out. She treats my wife with respect and there's nothing but love between the two of them. They have an excellent mother-daughter relationship. SD has always been very jealous of her sister, and she resents the wonderful relationship her mother and sister have.

Last November, SD's younger sister found out she was pregnant, and the baby's father skipped out on her. Of course, she came to my wife for comfort. We offered to let her move in with us until she got back on her feet. SD found out what happened and she flipped out. My wife got yet another angry email. SD accused her always making time for her younger sister and not her. My wife was stressed out about the pregnancy so she ignored SD's email. I read it and decided that enough was enough. I emailed SD. Told her to stop living in the past and if she treated her mother better, she'd have a relationship with her like her younger sister does.

Of course SD got pissed off. She sent everyone in the family a goodbye letter and cut all of us out of her life. My wife is devastated and they're all blaming me for driving her away. I thought that she was just bluffing for attention, but it's been 8 months and none of us have heard a peep from her. I still think I did the right thing by putting her in her place. She probably felt that no one would take her crap anymore so she fled. But I still feel bad for driving a bigger wedge between her and her mother. AITA?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nankeen posted:

you are literally a dog in your habits and philosophy

No I don't eat poo.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm legit enjoying how riled some people are getting over daring to ruin a SOCIAL OCCASION with BEER, literally nectar of the devil.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'm legit enjoying how riled some people are getting over daring to ruin a SOCIAL OCCASION with BEER.
beer and the shameful puffed-up raucousness that comes with beer culture. the man didn't even give it a chance. he is a hoon and deserves to be shunned, he can go live in the woods

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
and so can all of you. all of you!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'll fuckin live with my dick out drinking beer in the words like bigfoot and you can't stop me

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I went to a place once that did cheese and beer pairings. It was nice. This is my contribution to cheese/beer/wine chat.

My (35F) boyfriend (33M) of 5 years secretly took a cab to take "a walk" at night while out of town.

quote:

My 33M boyfriend is in San Fran for an interview. We were video chatting w/ our 3 year old after the interview yesterday. Saying he missed us etc. All normal happy stuff.

He left NJ at 3am for the flight there, told us he was exhausted and headed to bed.

I messaged him at 2:10am my time (11:10pm his) that I was up bc our 3 yo wet the bed again. He responded with 'poor girl' and nothing else.

This morning we video call him as was planned during breakfast for our kid to say hello to daddy. He answers without video which is not normal. We call frequently with video. I asked when did you get home and he kinda hesitated before saying 3am. He offered nothing else.

I found this morning he took a lyft to Chinatown at 1120pm PST and didn't cab back to his hotel til 3am.

He messages me nothing, says nothing so I message him after breakfast about being out all night and he says he needed to take a walk. Says no cheating happened.

This man has a terrible sense of direction. Cant read a map etc. But went for a walk in a city he doesnt know from 1130pm-3am... Huh?

And mentioned nothing about it even though he knew I was awake here at the same time changing sheets on the east coast. Why not mention that he cant sleep and am headed out? No pictures or comments about his walk. Says he was going to mention it in the morning.

Thoughts? My nerves are shot. He has a major history of being dishonest. This was our time to be transparent and open to rebuild trust for our family. Why leave his hotel (which is already on the water with a fantastic view) in the middle of the night?

I'm ready to pack up and leave him.

TL;DR Boyfriend out 1130pm-3am when he said was going to bed. Has history of lies, says didnt cheat. Says couldnt sleep, took a 20 dollar cab to Chinatown to "go for a walk". Sees no issue with what he did. I feel gaslighted.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Back when the cheese party story was first posted, the wife said in the comments that her husband throwing ragers was common for him and that she was always the one to clean up afterwards. and that she had just wanted to do something for herself for once but her husband didn’t let it happen

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (17F) mom (48F) has had a secret boyfriend for two years. I also very recently found out my parents got a divorce in 2013.

gently caress. I don’t really know how to write this post since my mom is literally right next to me. I am crying on the train and it honestly feels terrible.

I always knew my parents relationship has been rocky but I didn’t know to what extent. When we moved to a new town, whenever my dad was home she would tell me to lie to my friends my dad is working in another country. She was kind of ashamed of my dad but she did stick with him through the tougher times.

In November 2017, my applying to college separate email was linked to my moms on Yahoo. When I logged on her emails popped up and one of her friends (as she told me) was calling her baby and showing her the gift he got her. gently caress. That hurt. I cried for 2 hours and told my dad we need to talk. We grabbed lunch the next day and he told me he had known all along. I basically felt like my mom was my mortal enemy because of how she betrayed my dad. When I had to visit colleges on the east coast, her “friend” (boyfriend) was the one driving us around. He is a really nice guy but it really feels like poo poo for my mom to be never be honest about anything.

In August 2018, when I was filling the Common App, my parents had told me they were divorced back in 2013. I had asked my dad why he didn’t tell me and he said he wasn’t planning on telling me until I was 18. Jesus Christ, I just keep thinking why does this family have so many god drat secrets? I kind of brushed it off, since I know they don’t really love each other any way. It’s kind of a thing I just feel (we never eat dinner together, talk together etc) It just kind of fucks me up because my dad still financially supports her because she always tells him she’s spending money for me when very little of her money goes to me.

I’m in another country right now without any service so I use my mom’s phone as a hot spot. Her phone was on her messages, and her “friend” happened to be the first contact on top. I’m sorry I know I shouldn’t be looking at my moms private messages but my curiosity got the best of me. I scrolled up about 50 messages and immediately just felt like poo poo. Even though I was well aware of the situation, but seeing it more really made my poo poo hit the fan. She would refer to him as “husband” and talk about growing old together. I just feel like it’s wrong that she still uses my dad even though they are no longer together. My dad sees as a promise to her to make sure our family is financially stable, but still. I guess maybe there’s a lot more complications in their relationship that I may not understand, but I just don’t know how to process it.

It’s hard to say if my mom is objectively a good mom. She does give love in a conditional way, whenever I do something good or is on good behavior she’ll be very sweet to me. Whenever I am in a bad mood she reciprocates. Whenever she does something wrong, she never apologizes. I don’t know how me confronting her regarding this situation will change our relationship dynamic. I am still a minor and I can’t live with my dad. Should I still confront my mom?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Ziv Zulander posted:

Back when the cheese party story was first posted, the wife said in the comments that her husband throwing ragers was common for him and that she was always the one to clean up afterwards. and that she had just wanted to do something for herself for once but her husband didn’t let it happen
yes it was very obvious the husband was an rear end in a top hat and just couldn't let anyone do anything that wasn't his idea of a good time. but then all these hams start crawling out of the fridge to defend him in this very thread

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Gluten Freeman posted:

My (35F) boyfriend (33M) of 5 years secretly took a cab to take "a walk" at night while out of town.

"He started sober in December but also loves gambling and prostitution. A real winner. I made some serious and stupid concessions to forgive and rebuild. Because of history, hope, having not many options of my own and a small child. And he makes the same choices and traveled the same path anyway.

But I'm good enough to give him a haircut before he flies out. He makes a lot of promises and I wanted to believe we were building but is apparently allergic to truth and loyalty."

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
"what do you mean beer can't be classy!" everybody protested, ignoring the fact that it was never the beer that was the problem but the beer-associated hooting hollering and buttchugging for which there was no need, the point of the event was not the husband but the cheeses, those beautiful artefacts from across the sea. whole cultures of bacteria died to produce those cheeses. and you just don't bring cheap american beer to your wife's fancy wine event for gently caress's sake i can't believe i'm having to explain this to you people, do you live in swamps of your own poo poo, do you wallow in existential filth, what is it that makes you identify so strongly with this beer that you would defend this man, a clear and obvious danger to society

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i fear for your souls, i really do. praying for you

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Ziv Zulander posted:

Yeah this seems to be the key issue. She doesn’t care if it’s beer, but the sheer audacity of the wife wanting to have a nice time that doesn’t end up in chores because it seems like the husband is a child.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Ziv Zulander posted:

See that's an important part of the story that should have gone in the actual body, not having to muck-rake in the comments.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You may be my friend. There was an epically good ciderfest in SF last month and I walked away with multiple new brands to drink. I prefer British-style, but some Spanish cider blew my socks off. Husband and I used to make mead when we were young and give it as part of wedding presents; that's what "honeymoon" is named after.
Is that the one whole foods puts on in the presido? i'm mad because i went to the first california one they did here in berkeley which was like a 15 minute walk from my apartment, which owned because I could stumble back home almost drunk, and it was very lowkey and fun. technically you get a certain number of tickets but half the cider stands were just like yeah here have a refill and try this one and was fun to chat with the various makers. Then they moved it to the presidio which is super awful to get to by transit so you almost got to drive. I went once and it was just super busy, stingy, and didn't even enjoy it half as much.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I get two kegs with hoses, stick one hose in my mouth and the other up my rear end, and have the kegs lifted over my head while I lay on my front. My friends call it "The Perfect Storm" and my Doctor calls it "Inadvisable"

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

Nah cheese goes well with beer

I have had beer cheese, so if you can make cheese from beer, then beer and cheese go together. QED.

The inverse is not true I don't think cheese beer would be ok

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I live in a swamp made from cheese

edit: and beer

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

AITA for trying to keep to friends from breaking up?

quote:

I am among the younger people on this sub (under 16) so this might seem small to some of you, but to me it means a lot

Okay background: My family moved from Montana to Texas, and now are moving to Idaho, one of my friends parents said its okay that I stay the summer with them. Where I am staying I live next to my 3 of my friends and am staying with one (obviously) and these are my only 4 friends. okay enough background for now

also sorry if this is bad im very mad right now

Cast:

Me: me

DF1: dude friend one
DF2: dude friend two

CF1 chick friend one

CF2: chick friend one

DF1 and CF1 are dating

DF2 and CF2 are also dating

then there is me no gf :(

Story:

This starts two days ago. Me, and my 4 friends were walking back from a fort DF1 found. CF1 was walking with DF1. ME and DF2 were walking together and CF2 was walking alone.

DF2: Im thinking about breaking up with CF2

Me: Why

DF2: She is not being a good gf, refuses to hold hands unless CF1 forces her. She never says I love you, She always flirts with DF1.

Me: Man you mean so much to her. Whenever me and her hangout she always talks about you. This is her first real relationship she might not know how to express it.

DF2: your right

I go back to DF1 when CF1 breaks off too look at a flower or something

Me: did you hear anything?

DF1: No, why?

Me: I don't want CF2 to know right now

The next day

we are all hanging out at the park

Me and DF2 are hanging out at some moneybars

DF1 CF1 and CF2 are at some benches

I walk over to see what they are doing and DF2 stays where he is

as im walking away I hear

CF2: Puggywuggy55...

Me: yeah?

CF2: nevermind

I keep walking

CF1: GET YO A** OVER HERE

Me: No (I thought they were joking at the time)

I get back to DF2 and we just hang

The others come and we all start walking back to our houses (because we all live right next to each other we walked as a group)

Me and DF2 are walking in front quite a bit.

I see my grandmas truck at her work so I went in and said hi to her.

As im leaving DF1 walks in (he saw me walk in)

DF1: CF2 knows you and DF2 were talking about her behind her back

Me: We'll talk about this later

(ya know because we were almost right next to my grandma)

We all get back to out houses.

Me: how does CF2 know?

DF1: I told her

At this point im livid because DF1 does not know the whole story

I walk over to DF2's house and tell him.

DF1 CF1 and CF2 go to the river to swim and im just sitting there like wtf

During that time DF2 sends his sister to the river to threaten DF1 and tell CF2 that DF2 is done dating her

CF1 and CF2 come over today.

its obvious that they are mad at me (I think they all think im the reason that DF2's sister went to the river and why DF2 broke up with CF2)

CF1 is tolerating me (kinda)

CF2 is not even talking to me

and none of them are even letting me tell my side

DF1 said many times "I am trying to be the good friend here, I don't want to talk about it"

Am I wrong? And if I am, what can I do to make it right?

help me understand this

edit: wait i think i get it -- they're teenagers, and they're idiots. phew.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bruceski posted:

I'm the tossed salad and scrambled eggs.

Mercy!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

nankeen posted:

"what do you mean beer can't be classy!" everybody protested, ignoring the fact that it was never the beer that was the problem but the beer-associated hooting hollering and buttchugging for which there was no need, the point of the event was not the husband but the cheeses, those beautiful artefacts from across the sea. whole cultures of bacteria died to produce those cheeses. and you just don't bring cheap american beer to your wife's fancy wine event for gently caress's sake i can't believe i'm having to explain this to you people, do you live in swamps of your own poo poo, do you wallow in existential filth, what is it that makes you identify so strongly with this beer that you would defend this man, a clear and obvious danger to society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

actually if someone came into my fancy cheese and wine party to turn it into a rager i would kill them, and then leave the body in some out of the way but still visible place, and then when someone stumbles upon it the party can enter its next phase as a murder mystery evening