Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

surf rock posted:

I also kind of hate Shinji, and I feel like he's going to get a lot worse from here. He goes from zero emotion to I HATE YOU DAD real quick, but he does have a slight sense of humor here and ultimately agrees to do the mission so that the dying lady doesn't have to, so there are some redeeming factors out of the gate. Again, though, I feel like this is probably a high point for him and it's already Not Great.

in the first episode, the show's trying to establish that piloting the robot is dangerous and terrifying in-universe, basically. also like ironicdongz said, gendo showing up out of nowhere after 3 years to demand shinji pilot the robot is a pretty absurd expectation.

shinji gets more likable once you get to know him better, imo. the next couple episodes flesh out his character a bit further than "scared kid who hates his dad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's interesting to hear that the first episode isn't that appealing because I feel like the first and second episodes are a great introduction, just throwing you into those world and giving strong character sketches in only 48 minutes (one of the Waypoint guys compares Gendo to a silent, indifferent God off his first apperance and I love that, that's exactly what Anno, and Gendo himself, wants to be portrayed as), all while looking great and having such a strong and intense mood. Not trying to say your impression are Wrong, but it's just interesting seeing so many different people come to Eva for the very first time.

I feel like a rewatch is so integral to Eva. I feel like that's an absurd demand, but now that I'm not trying to learn the story from scratch, I'm noticing so much great cinematography and character moments and enjoying it a lot more, just generally "Getting" it a lot more

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

are you watching in english or japanese? because shinji speaking english is super annoying but with the original voices he's cool

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

noether posted:

shinji gets more likable once you get to know him better, imo.
he's not even unlikeable. he doesn't want to die lmao

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The situation with Lilith and the lance never rang as inconsistent to me. (spoiler tagging because we've got new blood) I figured that the spear was keeping Lilith suppressed rather than actively stopping her from doing anything. They only found the Lance during the course of the series (it was when Gendo and Fuyutsuki went to the South Pole) so Lilith, much like all the angels, probably slept for the 15 years or so between Second Impact and the events of the show. When people grow out of Lilith and she drops from the cross I think it's less that she's suddenly awake and active and more that all the growth she was supposed to do in the past few months accelerated all at once, making her too heavy for the cross to keep her trapped.

The way Lilith moves doesn't look like the breaking free of a giant that was kept suppressed against its will for years, rather its just... A lazy droop, like she's just rolling off her bed and isn't even aware of everything happening around her. That makes sense if we're going with the idea that Rei 3 is the one with Lilith's soul at that time. It's not like they struggle to see which one gets to initiate Third Impact, Rei is fully in charge by that point.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 13, 2019

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Expect My Mom posted:

It's interesting to hear that the first episode isn't that appealing because I feel like the first and second episodes are a great introduction, just throwing you into those world and giving strong character sketches in only 48 minutes (one of the Waypoint guys compares Gendo to a silent, indifferent God off his first apperance and I love that, that's exactly what Anno, and Gendo himself, wants to be portrayed as), all while looking great and having such a strong and intense mood. Not trying to say your impression are Wrong, but it's just interesting seeing so many different people come to Eva for the very first time.

I feel like a rewatch is so integral to Eva. I feel like that's an absurd demand, but now that I'm not trying to learn the story from scratch, I'm noticing so much great cinematography and character moments and enjoying it a lot more, just generally "Getting" it a lot more

Just watched the second episode. I liked it more. Nailed my read on Misato's character out of the gate, hell yeah.

I get what folks are saying about Shinji, and I'm not saying his reaction was unrealistic, but I sure didn't think to myself "wow, I can't wait to spend more time with this character" while I was watching it. I am watching in English, and I don't think that it has anything whatsoever to do with his voice actor. The voice acting is totally fine.

IronicDongz posted:

I figure if a monster's destroying the city and you're told that you're the only person who can do something about it and you're given a big robot suit with which to fight it, I feel like you should want to try it out if you don't want to die. Yeah, you still might die in the robot suit, but you're sure as hell going to die if you just sit around and wait.

Incidentally, I think that everything that happens after he gets in the suit (freaking out when the goo appears, struggling to use the robot, getting his rear end kicked, and blacking out) is also all totally fine.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 13, 2019

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I would never in a million years get in the robot and I strongly doubt more than at most like 20% of people would. I would gently caress off to a shelter immediately

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
there would be a me shaped hole in the wall as soon as anyone told me to get in the robot

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

surf rock posted:

Just watched the second episode. I liked it more. Nailed my read on Misato's character out of the gate, hell yeah.

I get what folks are saying about Shinji, and I'm not saying his reaction was unrealistic, but I sure didn't think to myself "wow, I can't wait to spend more time with this character" while I was watching it. I am watching in English, and I don't think that it has anything whatsoever to do with his voice actor. The voice acting is totally fine.

I figure if a monster's destroying the city and you're told that you're the only person who can do something about it and you're given a big robot suit with which to fight it, I feel like you should want to try it out if you don't want to die. Yeah, you still might die in the robot suit, but you're sure as hell going to die if you just sit around and wait.

Incidentally, I think that everything that happens after he gets in the suit (freaking out when the goo appears, struggling to use the robot, getting his rear end kicked, and blacking out) is also all totally fine.

I think that very much depends on how much you trust the dad who abandoned you and then only got back into contact to manipulate you into helping with his weird bullshit. Especially when it is, on its face, such an incredibly unlikely way to deal with a giant monster problem. Like, he's surrounded by trained soldiers, and only he, a skinny, passive fourteen-year-old with no combat experience, can pilot the giant robot and save the city from the terrifying alien monster that shrugs off antimatter bombs? Pull the other one.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ4Ss_0xcZw :banjo:

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
"World building is bad" is one of the spicier takes I've seen in my time. Like I realize story comes first and a well crafted world with a boring plot is pointless, but drat.
The works that I've liked best work on multiple levels. Like you got your surface level action or spectacle or drama and also have literary depth, symbolism, commentary on society and human condition etc.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

redsniper posted:

"World building is bad" is one of the spicier takes I've seen in my time. Like I realize story comes first and a well crafted world with a boring plot is pointless, but drat.
The works that I've liked best work on multiple levels. Like you got your surface level action or spectacle or drama and also have literary depth, symbolism, commentary on society and human condition etc.

i dont think those things you listed are worldbuilding even if worldbuilding contributes to them to a degree

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

yes yes YESSSSssss

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

surf rock posted:

but I sure didn't think to myself "wow, I can't wait to spend more time with this character" while I was watching it.
Much Evangelion really ultimately comes down to, "I wouldn't want to spend time with ANY of these people."

Except for Aoba, he seems pretty chill.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Aoba, Misato and Asuka are my list of Eva characters that are cool and I'd hang out with

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

ArfJason posted:

i dont think those things you listed are worldbuilding even if worldbuilding contributes to them to a degree

Yeah those were really two different points I wanted to make that got jumbled up. I guess world building is mostly a matter of fleshing out the setting and the setting could be either surface detail or a crucial part of a story depending on the work. Either way I don't think it would ever hurt a story to show the setting some love.
Eva is obviously characters first, but the details of daily life in Tokyo 3, how NERV operates etc. make for a richer experience even if they aren't crucial to the story.

noether
May 1, 2017

IronicDongz posted:

I don't disagree, I just know a lot of people get hung up on his characterization in that one scene and write him off immediately

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

redsniper posted:

Yeah those were really two different points I wanted to make that got jumbled up. I guess world building is mostly a matter of fleshing out the setting and the setting could be either surface detail or a crucial part of a story depending on the work. Either way I don't think it would ever hurt a story to show the setting some love.
Eva is obviously characters first, but the details of daily life in Tokyo 3, how NERV operates etc. make for a richer experience even if they aren't crucial to the story.

yeah, agreed

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

redsniper posted:

Setting is good.

When people talk about "world-building" they're talking about fixating on the details of a fictional world that aren't actually relevant to a work of fiction; basically the point at which you're including information for the sake of people who wish they could live there or out of some sense that details need to be decided for the sake of completeness than because it communicates something in the narrative.

Think Tolkien, or Wookiepedia.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
my favorite example of this is ritsuko, aoba and maya having to pick up their clothes at a coin laundry, as if NERV doesn't have some set up for this and then Aoba goes "You should be glad that you at least sleep at home" which implies either Aoba doesn't have a place of his own or that NERV has dorms somewhere down there?

it tells that living in tokyo-3 sucks on just a convenience level

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

my favorite example of this is ritsuko, aoba and maya having to pick up their clothes at a coin laundry, as if NERV doesn't have some set up for this and then Aoba goes "You should be glad that you at least sleep at home" which implies either Aoba doesn't have a place of his own or that NERV has dorms somewhere down there?

it tells that living in tokyo-3 sucks on just a convenience level

That, or he has a really heinous workload.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

surf rock posted:

How is Shinji not likable when he's refusing to pilot a giant murder machine just because? All of these "child soldiers are forced to fight an incomprehensible enemy that might not be so different from themselves because their elders won't communicate with them" plotlines are just very thinly veiled World War II allegories, even if that tends to be sidelined later.

And I must add that the new dub makes Shinji much more likable than the old one where you could hear the disdain dripping from every one of Spencer's lines.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I ended up in an Evageeks rabbit hole and found this theory about the Rebuild films that is pretty intriguing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

surf rock posted:

- On that topic, why does the blue-hair lady need to wear a skin-tight suit while Shinji can just wear his street clothes? Maybe he gets an actual suit to wear when they're not in a rush. Or maybe he doesn't need the suit because apparently he has a telepathic connection to the robot?
If I remember right, the gimp plug suits have support gear and telemetry but it's the head clips that are the actual signal transmitty things.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Because of waypoints doing their review I decided to give the show a rewatch for the first time in like 2 decades and man it still makes me super uncomfortable to watch but it is very intense and pretty while it does it. Its a testament to how well its made when they can make a bazillion dollars off of it even with it's incredibly disturbing parts. EoE was made becuase everyone wanted a real ending and he hated his fans right?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Invalid Validation posted:

EoE was made becuase everyone wanted a real ending and he hated his fans right?

It's really hard to get a straight answer on some of this over 20 years of semi-contradictory interviews but it doesn't really track given that the episode preview for 25 doesn't show anything from ep25. It's instead an incredibly weird animatic/the name of ep25', Air. They were planning for that film even before the show ended.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Because of waypoints doing their review I decided to give the show a rewatch for the first time in like 2 decades and man it still makes me super uncomfortable to watch but it is very intense and pretty while it does it. Its a testament to how well its made when they can make a bazillion dollars off of it even with it's incredibly disturbing parts. EoE was made becuase everyone wanted a real ending and he hated his fans right?
In short, no.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I imagine that EoE was made primarily because the show was a success in the end. I believe the later parts that refer to angry emails etc. are in some sense rooted in "hating the fans," definitely, but that had they not spent all their money on hiring Grandis cosplayers to step on them, they would have probably had some action sequences similar to the front half of EoE in the show itself.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
not all of those letters at the end of EoE are hateful iirc. Some are actually nice

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I was just going off what I remembered from a long time ago. It does kinda feel like ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?! When you’re watching it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
If EoE truly was intended to be a middle finger to Eva fans, than I don't think that I'd think of it as a genuinely positive movie that ends as "happily" as it could but I might be the kind of Eva fan Anno would be angry at, if he ever was

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I do remember reading that Anno was somewhat frustrated that he made Rei as a deconstructed version of the shy yamato nadeshiko girl and was disgusted that everyone embraced her despite her creepy details. If we have learned anything from the last twenty years, it is that subversion rarely executes the way you want it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
btw i see this guy's avatar every now and then and lol a bit
https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=209299

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

EoE was based off of the original script for episodes 25 and 26 which couldn't be made during airing due to time constraints or maybe the network not wanting to air it, for some reason this is difficult to pin down. Here's a link about the scripts https://wiki.evageeks.org/Resources:End_of_Evangelion_Screenplays

It wasn't a middle finger or anything. From interviews it sounds like EoE was, if anything, intended to appease fans who were dissatisfied with the original last two eps.

quote:

Sadamoto: (Kotono Mistuishi) cried reading a script, for example. When Anno-san heard that - guts pose! (laughing)

Masayuki: What episode was that?

Sadamoto: 25.

Takekuma: Misato's voice actress cried reading the script?

Sadamoto: So Anno did a guts pose. The supervisor of the manga also cried [reading it], and when Anno heard that, he did another guts pose (laughing). He was victorious, because two members of society had been reduced to tears. However, after it was finished, people told him various things, and he went into a state of collapse. What happened to the guts pose? (laughing)

Masayuki: When he was making episode 25 he was saying, "I'm a genius." Then after it had broadcast, he came out of his room looking dazed. "Why did I make such a strange thing?" (laughing)

Sato: The last episode was the same, wasn't it?

Masayuki: Well, he didn't say anything about the last episode. Just with episode 25, he seemed to be extremely pleased with it. Then when he saw the broadcast, it was like, "I'm an idiot..." (laughing)

Sato: Afterwards he was looking at the reactions on message boards from a distance (laughing). Although he was saying he was going to ignore them, he was still looking out of the corner of his eye at the monitor. “I’m probably not going to look….” he said. “Right, I’m not going to look.”

Sadamoto: But I thought that the final two episodes were fine. I thought it was simply a matter of the connecting episode between episodes 24 and 25 being missing. That’s why we’re doing the original episode 25 (the remake version) now. I think it’s just that that episode was missing. I saw the initial script. If the original episode 25 had been there, then there would have been a clear link leading up to the television versions of episodes 25 and 26. Just one episode was missing. So I thought [the ending] was fine.

Masayuki: We know that because we’re the people who worked on [the series].

Sadamoto: So in my mind there’s a clear link [bridging episode 24 and 25]. But the ordinary viewers, although they wanted to see the continuation of episode 24, it was omitted. So, they got mad at it.

Oizumi: That’s completely right.

Sadamoto: They couldn’t see the relationship [between 24 and 25].

Tsurumaki: Well, it’s because the original episode 25 script was completed [but not used].

Sadamoto: Because I’ve seen [that script], I thought, [watching the ending], well, even this much is fine.
source: https://wiki.evageeks.org/Statements_by_Evangelion_Staff

the death threats that people always point to were in reference to Death and Rebirth, which was a long recap of the series and the first 25 minutes of EoE, shown in theaters before the whole movie was complete maybe for contractual reasons. https://wiki.evageeks.org/End_of_Evangelion_Death_Threats

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 14, 2019

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I remember someone mentioning that they literally ran out of budget for the last few episodes or something, so thats how the movies came along.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
That's not true. From what I've read, it was a time issue. It seems they originally planed to have the Japanese government raiding NERV that we see in End of Eva, but whatever they had in mind edged too close to the Sarin gas attacks in Tokyo by a doomsday cult that happened barely a year ago at the time for TV network staff (think of how so many things had to be changed or edited due to 9/11), so they were forced to go back to the drawing board with so little time left to rewrite and animate the last two episodes, leading to what we got.

also god i totally forgot how Episode 25 starts in Instrumentality. Wonder if I should intercut those last two episodes with EoE on my rewatch

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 14, 2019

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The story behind Episodes 25 and 26 and EoE is super contradictory and constantly changes. At this point, it's as open to interpretation as the endings themselves.

noether
May 1, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I ended up in an Evageeks rabbit hole and found this theory about the Rebuild films that is pretty intriguing.

my head is fuckin spinning after reading through that, but drat if they weren't thorough. I remember when I watched 1.0 and 2.0 ages ago, I didn't really pick up on how different the continuity is.

I really have no idea what that blake stuff is about, or how his specific mythology would play into that of the rebuilds beyond what reichu outlined in there, but I'd be interested in seeing how much further that connection could be taken.

tangentially, idk if anyone here is familiar with the essay neoreaction: a basilisk, but I read it a couple weeks back and I kept picking up on tons of overlap between the themes that come up in the essay and in NGE, especially with respect to stuff like dealing with the boundaries between the self and the other, blurring the lines between hauntological and weird horror, boys who have trouble understanding women, and the whole shopenhauer "is nonexistence preferable to consciousness?" discussion. towards the end, there's a lengthy digression into blake's mythology, so it's a little spooky to see another weird coincidental thread between them there, to me at least.

no idea if any of that's relevant or interesting to anyone besides me, though.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The most plausible theory I've heard so far for why 25 and 26 are what they are, is that Anno was submitting final scripts extremely late in the back half of the series due to depression, which meant that nobody was really checking them for objectionable content before animation was able to start, which meant that when the episode with Misato and Kaji's sex scene aired it caught the network and sponsors completely off guard. they sent someone to Gainax to personally approve everything from that point on, which caused even more delays and also torpedoed some of their plans for the original ending, meaning that what we got was basically what they could get done in time with approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
There's a pretty good recap blog series over at Mubi for those interested: https://mubi.com/notebook/posts/neon-genesis-evangelion-episodes-1-4-the-trauma-of-shinji-ikari