Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Amputating my dick and hurling it into the Atlantic Ocean, then amputating my balls and hurling them into the Pacific Ocean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
That is unacceptable.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

It's an improvement on his normal look, though.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
My snatch just sealed up forever

Jemaine Clement looked better in the Jareth outfit for gently caress’s sake

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 19, 2019

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Cessation of Copulation, a tragedy in 3 parts

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
My boner died, and it died in three parts

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
What's even left to say? Close the thread. Close it forever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If you think that’s Bad wait until you see what he normally looks like.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
literature is a ruin

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1152679831122767872

decent thread on why people seem reticent to criticise the obvious misogyny in rothfuss' work

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Gluten Freeman posted:

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1152679831122767872

decent thread on why people seem reticent to criticise the obvious misogyny in rothfuss' work

I didn’t even think of the networking aspect, that’s a really good point.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Can someone explain that to me? Are they saying he isn't criticized because he has a bunch of friends?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

influential friends in writing, specifically

even if he's never actually used The Machine to damage people, he definitely could

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
http://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1152682088014860289

You could... log off Twitter??

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
imagine reading through this dudes books after you realize what a poo poo he is

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ElGroucho posted:

imagine reading through this dudes books

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Sham bam bamina! posted:

You could... log off Twitter??

If you're not familiar with who Lindsay Ellis is, social media is kind of how she makes a living, and she's explicitly referencing how this might hurt her ability to get future writing gigs as well. It's a legitimate fear.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Ah. Didn't notice the account under all the Cats stuff. It's 4 in the morning here.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Can someone explain that to me? Are they saying he isn't criticized because he has a bunch of friends?

Possibly. Given the tales of his behavior at cons and how rude he was to LMM he's probably been swimming in a cloud of invincibility for a decade+ now and getting away with it scot free.

It's weird, because the examples posted here are examples of bad female characters. That's nothing bad, Asimov is famous for bland poorly written female characters its just part of the whole package. But since Rothfuss is a ~feminist~ his female characters and depictions of sex must be uber good and beyond critique so anyone trying to break it down and comment is just written off as "not getting it".

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Patware posted:

influential friends in writing, specifically

even if he's never actually used The Machine to damage people, he definitely could

And there's a built-in layer of defense. It doesn't matter if he never even hears about it, his stans are rabid; they'll go after a YouTuber/writer/whatever who dares to question his greatness in three parts.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Never mind. Misread that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh! It's the woman that did the slightly better Red Letter Media takedown of The Hobbit trilogy thing. I only watched the first part of that and thought it was super boring, but lots of people like her reviews and stuff so if she decides to take this on she may be OK.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oh! It's the woman that did the slightly better Red Letter Media takedown of The Hobbit trilogy thing.

Is that what she's most known for these days? Better than for having a bunch of hot dogs thrown at you I guess.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
RLM kinda went full chud in response to Captain Marvel so those dudes can gently caress off forever. I mean their content is also terrible but also gently caress those guys.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Dreqqus posted:

RLM kinda went full chud in response to Captain Marvel so those dudes can gently caress off forever. I mean their content is also terrible but also gently caress those guys.

Are you going to give an example of them having done that or just make bald statements

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
They seemed pretty mad that Brie Larson wanted a little diversity in film related media.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Dreqqus posted:

They seemed pretty mad that Brie Larson wanted a little diversity in film related media.

I don't like how Red Letter Media handled the Max Landis thing one bit, but you gotta realize dude, that's the least examply example ever. "THEY WENT FULL CHUD!" "Okay, got examples?" "No, but I'll vaguely say they were mad about something."

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I missed their reaction to Landis so I can't comment there, but perhaps it would have been more fair to say 'they recently espoused opinions that are particularly attractive to a specific set of bad actors that we should probably all avoid even appearing to appeal to.'

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I thought that the problem with Red Letter Media was the metastasizing edgelord tumor in the Plinkett reviews, which went from vaguely threatening implications about his family in the Star Trek videos to a constant stream of "jokes" about his pedophilia in the 15 minutes of the Crystal Skull video that I made it through.

Dreqqus posted:

I missed their reaction to Landis so I can't comment there, but perhaps it would have been more fair to say 'they recently espoused opinions that are particularly attractive to a specific set of bad actors that we should probably all avoid even appearing to appeal to.'
Honestly sounds McCarthyite when you put it that way.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 21, 2019

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Dreqqus posted:

When people ask for examples they want quotes, and not "I'm going to vaguely say that they said some things that bad people might like, but like, I don't have any examples", you know.

And you missing their reaction to Landis was my point. They just started pretending they never heard of him and memory holed everything they had to do with him despite doing a lot to boost him before it came out that he was a rapist.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

red letter media, you're under arrest for not being 100% woke

my read on the stuff you're vaguely referring to is that they performed the sin of critiquing a specific strain of White Feminism where white women choose to speak for women of color without much apparent input from women of color, but were kludgy about it because they haven't marinated in the language of The Discourse, on top of critiquing White Feminism being only a thing considered appropriate when it is done by women of color

and to be fair, should a bunch of 30+ white men sit around critiquing White Feminism? very probably not, but that makes them 'clumsy' rather than 'torchbearers for the alt right'. you're fine not liking them, i barely watch their product myself, but don't misrepresent things in vague terms to spook people onto your side

EDIT: (and for further fairness, their "she should have worded what she was saying better" stuff was also pretty sloppy and not good and 100% in line with the "well why don't you be more respectful with your protest" nonsense, but again greater context makes me take that as clumsiness rather than intentional goalpost moving to ensure they're always correct)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Patware posted:

red letter media, you're under arrest for not being 100% woke

my read on the stuff you're vaguely referring to is that they performed the sin of critiquing a specific strain of White Feminism where white women choose to speak for women of color without much apparent input from women of color, but were kludgy about it because they haven't marinated in the language of The Discourse, on top of critiquing White Feminism being only a thing considered appropriate when it is done by women of color

and to be fair, should a bunch of 30+ white men sit around critiquing White Feminism? very probably not, but that makes them 'clumsy' rather than 'torchbearers for the alt right'. you're fine not liking them, i barely watch their product myself, but don't misrepresent things in vague terms to spook people onto your side

EDIT: (and for further fairness, their "she should have worded what she was saying better" stuff was also pretty sloppy and not good and 100% in line with the "well why don't you be more respectful with your protest" nonsense, but again greater context makes me take that as clumsiness rather than intentional goalpost moving to ensure they're always correct)

"Wording it better" is kind of like the excuse of "well it's only because you messed up and confused me" and putting the blame on her for people getting pseudo outraged that a women said something. I like explain it the chuds I know by pointing out there actually isn't anything wrong with it, and if someone is a hypocrite you can just say that and not attack feminist ideas or make it a gender thing.

White feminism being a thing doesnt even need to be "white men cant talk about it" the whole advantaged white females banding together to solve/address society's problems is as old as America. In the 1900s it was them insisting on Prohibition, in the 1800s it was them deciding how the Native tribes needed to "civilized" and in the 1700s....I don't know but probably something about patronizing treatment of slavery.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
You know I'll admit I probably need to watch the video again and reassess my reading of it. I'll cop to being in a place where I was particularly fed up with that strain of bullshit when I watched it the first time and may have seen something that wasn't really there. At the time it came across as a critique of feminism/diversity in general and if that's not the case I'll be happy to be wrong.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

like they definitely flew close to the sun and it was generally a fuckup, but it's not like they started wearing the hat, basically

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
can we all agree that rothfuss must be shunned and held in raw contempt

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
http://twitter.com/PatrickRothfuss/status/1136776076926083073

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I hereby renounce all claim to birthdays, felicity, and even days in general.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

nankeen posted:

and so a giant sweaty hand dragged the thread back on track. "talk about ME, drat you," he said, thinking about sex fairies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

nankeen posted:

We didn't already?