Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Wunder is Pen Pen.

Third Impact made him huge.
No! Not my favorite, cuddly-wuddly, genetically engineered fiordland penguin buddy! :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Nah pen pen is just chillin in some random room in the wunder

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If they turned the video screens of the SEELE monoliths on all you would see would be Pen Pen.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Different species of penguin have different lifespans and Pen Pen isn't a standard penguin so he could easily still be alive. Gimme a Pen Pen rescue movie.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
With this renewed vigor in Eva with the Netflix release and the Rebuild movies, I am legitimately pondering if I should re-read the Eva-R fanfic out of morbid curiosity, or just let it remain a nostalgic memory of my 14 year old self.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Stupid "Ann-Wheel"!

*elsewhere, rei*
Spheres... twirling, passing... a cosmic dance.

What am I? Who have I been?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

With this renewed vigor in Eva with the Netflix release and the Rebuild movies, I am legitimately pondering if I should re-read the Eva-R fanfic out of morbid curiosity, or just let it remain a nostalgic memory of my 14 year old self.

If you feel that you might be suicidal, we urge you to contact the Suicide Hotline at 800-273-8255 or navigate to http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ for a live chat and additional resources.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth
dare I ask what eva-r is?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

noether posted:

dare I ask what eva-r is?

Fanfiction that tried really hard to be more than that

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

So basically this thread.

:rimshot:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I looked it up and the website design makes me wish this was fanfiction.net.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://myanimelist.net/character/29663/Eva-R

what the gently caress

what the gently caress

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The United States posted:

what the gently caress

what the gently caress

Seikon no Qwaser is... something, yes.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The United States posted:

what the gently caress

what the gently caress

the google curse strikes another poor soul

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

New Waypoint episode is kind of a bummer, they seem to be further and further missing the mark on some of the characters and themes and at least Patrick has completely checked out and only wants a "lore dump" to explain everything, which lol.

I love Waypoint, and totally support their mission and what they’re trying to do, but I wish they were just one or two notches less woke. Still extremely woke though!

Their talk about Kaji is kind of emblematic of the problem. The fact of Kaji is that you are not supposed to think he is as bad as the Waypoint gang do because Eva was a show made largely by fairly skeevy men in Japan in the mid-90s who fundamentally did not think that the way Kaji treats women was that bad, certainly not as bad Waypoint do (and anyone else should, to be clear) now. It’s very bad that they thought that, but it was a long time ago and there’s nothing we can do about what these people thought then.

So, obviously, we should highlight these problems and not ignore or attempt to defend them, but functionally, if you’re going to consume art made from that cultural scene and time, you ultimately just have to get over it. And they sort of can’t. Every time something questionable happens they get all quiet, and Austin will let out a heavy sigh and say something like “yeah.... it’s not great...” in this depressing way. And it seems to just be colouring their whole view of the series, which is pretty disappointing.

Like, they were talking about the whole scene with Naoko and young Rei, and sure, to put it mildly, she is not a character particularly well treated by the show. But then the Waypointers wring their hands over and agonise over her when she is frankly a very minor part of the show.

Anyway, I’m rambling, but like you I was really looking forward to Waypoint’s coverage of Eva, and it’s a bit disappointing to see them just get tangled in the weeds like this.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Kaji is like, a triple spy so he has to be three times as skeevy as James Bond

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Comrade Fakename posted:

So, obviously, we should highlight these problems and not ignore or attempt to defend them, but *does that*

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think as long as you consider it as a part of your whole understanding and "analysis" of the show, then it's fine to be "woke" about it.

What's not fine is when you take these "woke" ideas and turn them into checklists and give grades and poo poo.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You know, sure, I'll concede the point. I agree with nearly all of this (the Angels' forms being products of human psychology, the parallel between them and the human characters, and SEELE's goal being, essentially, to become like the angels), and just didn't really feel as though a diegetically human origin for them was necessary for these things to be true, but it strengthens the reading if that's what they are.

They are "human" in the sense they are the both the culmination/highest from of life, albeit from a different source. Of course said two sources (Adam and Lilith) are the same species/manner of being anyway. So the Angels are to humans as a whole, as you are to another human. Which of course ties it all back around to the central themes of loneliness/connections/etc.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Eva avoids passing moral judgment on its characters for the most part, it's more about understanding their mindsets. It seems very tedious to judge fiction purely on whether you feel it promotes woke ideas.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Like, they were talking about the whole scene with Naoko and young Rei, and sure, to put it mildly, she is not a character particularly well treated by the show. But then the Waypointers wring their hands over and agonise over her when she is frankly a very minor part of the show.

Their point about how Naoko, in the span of a few scenes, is shown to be a fairly level-headed person that has a genial relationship with their daughter, but then goes completely bonkers at a kid making fun of her, is absolutely correct and not "agonizing" at all. The show has some tonal inconsistencies that cause friction within itself, and doubly so with the current social environment in regards to "groping women in the workplace". They are media critics and journos. It's their job to discuss this stuff through different lenses.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Comrade Fakename posted:

They were talking about how that scene is not emotionally earned more than anything else(which is true btw).

All the stuff they have said wrt kaji is true and I don't know what you want them to do besides not actually having a discussion about that stuff. they're making a podcast about the show and it's part of the show, they're gonna talk about it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Naoko is probably my least favorite character in Eva and the tiny bit of time they allot for her ending is the main reason for that, but what they seem to also conveniently gloss over the strong implication that she was already a murderer of Yui and Rei I was, almost literally, her victim coming back to taunt her.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Capntastic posted:

Their point about how Naoko, in the span of a few scenes, is shown to be a fairly level-headed person that has a genial relationship with their daughter, but then goes completely bonkers at a kid making fun of her, is absolutely correct and not "agonizing" at all. The show has some tonal inconsistencies that cause friction within itself, and doubly so with the current social environment in regards to "groping women in the workplace". They are media critics and journos. It's their job to discuss this stuff through different lenses.
Isn't there an obvious reason for that? Asuka's mother went insane and ultimately killed herself after a single copy of her brain was created for EVA-02. Naoko had three copies made for the magi system. Having copies made of you breaks your soul apart in Eva.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Isn't there an obvious reason for that? Asuka's mother went insane and ultimately killed herself after a single copy of her brain was created for EVA-02. Naoko had three copies made for the magi system. Having copies made of you breaks your soul apart in Eva.

Well, I think the Magi are a mechanical copy and not an actual digitized soul, like the Evas, but who can truly say?

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
Thinking about it now Naoko is, similar to Rei and likely even more so, often more of a plot device then a character. Pretty much everything she does happens to set up or elaborate on Ritsuko's arc more then present an interesting character in her own right. Even murdering Rei is more foreshadowing Ritsuko destroying the dummy plug system then it is really saying much about Naoko as a character or even doing much thematically. She's a rather throw-away character as far as the script is concerned, being essentially a footnote in an episode which is also about Kaji dieing and also about the founding of Nerv on top of other stuff, which is hardly a great thing.

My understanding is that Naoko didn't salvage her soul into the Magi, she just programmed them to resemble herself, somehow.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Rei isn't "more plot device than character," the hell are you talking about?

Anyways worrying about whether the show's portrayal of Naoko "earns" making her murderously rage out over relatively minor taunting is completely backwards. We're shown this happening, it's on us to work out what it means. It's not inconsistent with anything else we know about Naoko because frankly we don't know much else about her (except Ritsuko's secondhand recollection that she was impossible to get along with as a woman even if she respected her as a scientist.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 20, 2019

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Capntastic posted:

Well, I think the Magi are a mechanical copy and not an actual digitized soul, like the Evas, but who can truly say?
Ritsuko explicitly says the same technology is used in the Evas when she's working on the Magi in episode 13.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Am I remembering it wrong or isnt there actual meat brains inside the MAGI computer that you see in the scene where ritsuko is working on it?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Am I remembering it wrong or isnt there actual meat brains inside the MAGI computer that you see in the scene where ritsuko is working on it?

there totally are

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You know they cut one of the Magi system cpu casings and it's giant brains in there

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

lets hang out posted:

Congrats Jet Alone you made it

This is hilarious actually....the most underappreciated episode of the series gets into the biggest Eva film.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Another thing that was frustrating is that they touched upon the differences between Naoko and Yui, in that the latter is a "complete person" who does not feel the need separate out her professional/personal lives and the former is one who seemingly found solace in intentionally delineating herself into specific/binary bins. And that Yui is ultimately an extremely unsettling person who despite being so much more self-ware and "superior" to those around her still succumbed in a manner of speaking to the machinations of SEELE/Gendo. To me in made sense, in as twisted a way as it could be and as little time the episode seemingly allowed for it, that Naoko would have friction with someone like Yui and when coupled with the events of Yui's death and Rei I. Yui is an idealized version of what Naoko would ostensibly want to be (which almost certainly plays into her seeming desire to be with Gendo physically).

Honestly it's less Rei I's murder that's :raise: to me, it's her suicide, that's a 0->60 that feels extremely unearned. Every time I watch the series I feel like I'm missing a scene where it's implied that Gendo was the actual one that did her in and the "suicide" was a cover up but I don't think the text supports that at all.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think Eva really operates on "digitized souls" anyway. To me it seems like each person only has one soul and you can't create copies of it, but the soul can move around under some conditions (possibly between similar brains?). So no matter how many "Rei shaped things" you create there can still only be one "Rei" at any given time. Or if you create a copy of Asuka's mother's brain that represents her maternal feelings towards her daughter she will lose those feelings (leaving her a broken shell of a person). After the process there's still a total of one Kyoko soul around, it's just been split up. It follows that creating three copies of Naoko's brain representing everything important to her would gently caress her up a lot.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I’m not ignoring or defending anything. It’s important to point out and recognise that these things are bad. But I don’t think one should devote half your very long podcast to them, and should try to understand that Eva is a product of its time and place and authors and you can and should enjoy it despite these things. They did a very entertaining (and incredibly thorough) deep-dive into Pride and Prejudice a while ago and they were quite capable of recognising and accepting that it was the work of a wealthy woman in Regency England who was quite progressive in some ways but very much not in plenty of others.

At one point Patrick said something along the lines of “I don’t understand Kaji’s characterisation - he seems fairly cool and then he sexually assaults Misato. It makes no sense!” The truth is that the people who made Eva fundamentally did not think that type of assault was bad. It’s a very wrong opinion, and it’s very bad and sad that they held it, but it was also not a rare position among those type of people in that place and time.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

MoaM posted:

This is hilarious actually....the most underappreciated episode of the series gets into the biggest Eva film.

man, i had to go back as soon as i read this post and watch the second half of episode 7. just so good. that eva drop gives me goosebumps every time

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

At one point Patrick said something along the lines of “I don’t understand Kaji’s characterisation - he seems fairly cool and then he sexually assaults Misato. It makes no sense!” The truth is that the people who made Eva fundamentally did not think that type of assault was bad. It’s a very wrong opinion, and it’s very bad and sad that they held it, but it was also not a rare position among those type of people in that place and time.

I don't think that Evangelion is endorsing its characters' actions to anywhere near the extent you (or apparently they) are presuming.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

I don't think Eva really operates on "digitized souls" anyway. To me it seems like each person only has one soul and you can't create copies of it, but the soul can move around under some conditions (possibly between similar brains?). So no matter how many "Rei shaped things" you create there can still only be one "Rei" at any given time. Or if you create a copy of Asuka's mother's brain that represents her maternal feelings towards her daughter she will lose those feelings (leaving her a broken shell of a person). After the process there's still a total of one Kyoko soul around, it's just been split up. It follows that creating three copies of Naoko's brain representing everything important to her would gently caress her up a lot.
I think there is a path there that one can navigate to that conclusion, but I'm not sure I see enough of that in the text. It reminds me of an extremely forced theory I read once about Naoko's soul being the one in Unit 00 and why it tries to kill Gendo/Rei/Ritsuko at various times. We have clear, linear reasoning for why Kyoko and Yui's fates happen the way they do but it feels like a stretch to apply the same to the Magi. You could argue that metamorphically it represents the same sort of idea, that Naoko's fall is "karma" in a similar fashion, but it also requires inferring a lot that I'm not sure I see plainly.

As an aside I always thought thought they were like, "mechanical" brains.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

more to the point, they don't have to

Kaji, as portrayed in Evangelion, is a creep. He's a creep that Misato is deeply emotionally entangled with (despite being angry with him for being a creep basically all the time), and ultimately he flies too close to the sun and dies, and she's devastated.

This isn't a particularly unrealistic portrayal of a dysfunctional or abusive relationship, and the show is pretty clear about Kaji having a tremendous of superficial charm that in no way makes him a better person. The show also repeatedly emphasizes how destructive relationships with selfish, arrogant men are to the women in their lives, between Naoko's suicide, Ritsuko's murder, Misato's self-loathing, and all the stuff I mentioned upthread about Rei and Yui.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i don't understand people who get deeply mad about people being woke. is it just a primal reaction to your bad opinions being challenged?