Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Not every person in a dark suit is All For One

or are they

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

That's just what All For One would say.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah, he had a stranglehold on crime. The man had minions to do his bidding.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Horikoshi known for just throwing random red herrings out there like a bad writer

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

True, but he probably hated One for All enough to rock up in person to gently caress up their family.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

For having such a stranglehold on crime all he gave shiggy so far is a teleporting mist dude who needs to wear a corset, a bunch of jail birds, a family doctor that talks more poo poo than helps the league, and a clingy giant

If stain didn't happen to rampage when he did shiggy wouldn't have the crew he has now

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

drjuggalo posted:

For having such a stranglehold on crime all he gave shiggy so far is a teleporting mist dude who needs to wear a corset, a bunch of jail birds, a family doctor that talks more poo poo than helps the league, and a clingy giant

If stain didn't happen to rampage when he did shiggy wouldn't have the crew he has now

In the present day, AfO doesn't have a stranglehold on crime anymore since All Might destroyed his organization and left him for dead. He doesn't have the infinite resources and a personal loyalist army he did at one point.

Honestly, if All Might hadn't smashed his empire 6 years ago, it's doubtful he'd even be putting the time and effort into Shigaraki that he is, since most of the purpose of this exercise is to torture and punish All Might for revenge.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Wasn't that kind of the point, to make him build his own network? And giving him a recruiter towards that end does help out too.

Edit: Plus, it's not like having access to all those Nomu wasn't a pretty big benefit. Shiggy just kind of blew his load on that fairly early.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Wait, wouldn't All For One have taken in Tenko before he and his empire was taken down by All Might?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah if I have a read on the situation Nana left, fought All for One and lost. All for One spent years tracking down her family to spite her and her successor, All Might, who at the time was out of the country or just starting to fight the AfO organisation. After Shiggy does in his family All for One picks him up and poisons him against society, raising him and then a few years later All Might returns, wrecks AfO’s organisation and face, which Shigaraki presumably watches in horror as his mentor gets pasted.

Thus leading to modern Shigiraki’s initial fixation on All Might.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My understanding was that he only sought out ways to spite All Might after he was defeated and the empire that he had spent so long building up was all but crushed.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

wokow6 posted:

Wait, wouldn't All For One have taken in Tenko before he and his empire was taken down by All Might?

He did. All Might fought AfO and crushed his empire a little over six years ago. Since we see AfO take in Shigaraki as a child, and Shigaraki is currently about 20, Shigaraki would have been under AfO's care for at least several years. That said, I don't think AfO decided on the "groom Shigaraki into my personal avenger" until after All Might smashed him.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

SKULL.GIF posted:

Later that chapter he gets what seems like a static shock focused on his hand, with a black background and electric jolts in the background. Looks kinda like when AFO was manipulating quirks during Kamino.

The shock happens after he throws the ball, though, and you can see the ball crumbling a bit.

Also didn't AFO's Forced Quirk Activation include black and red tendrils?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Shadowlyger posted:

The shock happens after he throws the ball, though, and you can see the ball crumbling a bit.

Forced Quirk Activation, sure, Quirk Transfer though?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Radish posted:

Ahh I missed that bit during his flashback.

Yeah Uraraka could easily have killed her parents or herself in a very similar way. Having a child in MHA world sounds horrifying.

Seems to be implied that normally when quirks manifest in young children they're significantly weaker and grow stronger as they become adults. See l'il Bakugo's tiny hand explosions.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Seems to be implied that normally when quirks manifest in young children they're significantly weaker and grow stronger as they become adults. See l'il Bakugo's tiny hand explosions.

Exactly. If this wasn't the case then I could easily see Bakugo seriously loving up Deku during one of the many times they fought as a kid.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

They've made the muscle analogy throughout the story. Starting strength has been on the rise, but overall they still need to train it up to get it to the point of utility.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

And god knows Katsuki was getting plenty of practice in before UA.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Blockhouse posted:

Walking into a Men's Wearhouse and having a massive heart attack.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

They're also said that Quirks can undergo mutation when the user is extremely stressed or traumatized

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shadowlyger posted:

I actually missed the tiny cracks on the ball, I'm glad, that's better than AFO giving it to him from a nearby bush.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I could see Shigaraki's quirk being a "power storing" one. The reason he was itchy and felt awful inside (other than, you know, the abuse) was because the Decay was building up inside him, which is why it all came out with such a big effect.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Terper posted:

I could see Shigaraki's quirk being a "power storing" one. The reason he was itchy and felt awful inside (other than, you know, the abuse) was because the Decay was building up inside him, which is why it all came out with such a big effect.

I saw the itchiness as more of a manifestation of his dark desires. Every time he felt angry and wanted to lash out and kill, he felt itchy. I think it carries over into adulthood to, since Shigaraki almost always scratches himself when he's frustrated or annoyed. I don't think it's a quirk (ahoi) of Decay, and more of Shigaraki

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Onmi posted:

I saw the itchiness as more of a manifestation of his dark desires. Every time he felt angry and wanted to lash out and kill, he felt itchy. I think it carries over into adulthood to, since Shigaraki almost always scratches himself when he's frustrated or annoyed. I don't think it's a quirk (ahoi) of Decay, and more of Shigaraki
Yeah, he's been scratching like hell when he's irritated since the USJ attack.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zomborgon posted:

They've made the muscle analogy throughout the story. Starting strength has been on the rise, but overall they still need to train it up to get it to the point of utility.

This is true, but it should be noted that in and of itself doesn't necessarily prove that Shigaraki was tampered with. Some quirks just seem to start off ludicrously powerful. Eri isn't even a full generation removed from Shigaraki and her childhood quirk manifestation was strong enough to delete people from the timeline.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I will once more point out that the one character we know had an insanely powerful mutant quirk and the one character that we have reason to believe has an insanely powerful mutant quirk also have some uncommon features in common

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Kanos posted:

This is true, but it should be noted that in and of itself doesn't necessarily prove that Shigaraki was tampered with. Some quirks just seem to start off ludicrously powerful. Eri isn't even a full generation removed from Shigaraki and her childhood quirk manifestation was strong enough to delete people from the timeline.

Fair enough. I was primarily commenting on the state of general parenting fears rather than this unusual case.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zomborgon posted:

Fair enough. I was primarily commenting on the state of general parenting fears rather than this unusual case.

All it takes is one freakishly powerful child to make everyone terrified of their baby suddenly murdering the family. :smith:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

that's just a generic shocked lightning manga effect. bnha readers always read too much into irrelevant things..

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, this is something interesting I saw posted elsewhere:

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Onmi posted:

Forced Quirk Activation, sure, Quirk Transfer though?

That requires direct contact.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I should point out that forced quirk activation probably would not work on shigaraki. The trigger for his decay is "touch with all 5 fingers" and nothing has suggested that he can choose not to decay something he touches with all 5 fingers, so forced quirk activation will very likely do nothing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

BardoTheConsumer posted:

I should point out that forced quirk activation probably would not work on shigaraki. The trigger for his decay is "touch with all 5 fingers" and nothing has suggested that he can choose not to decay something he touches with all 5 fingers, so forced quirk activation will very likely do nothing.

Most people following this line of thought are assuming his quirk was inactive/dormant and forced quirk activation made it active in general to let events take their course, rather than a specific "decay right now" thing.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

M_Gargantua posted:

Its the classic joker "everyone is just one bad day away..." reason that resonates so well when done right.

The thing about the first time he said that is it occurs in a story where he horrifically brutalizes Jim Gordon as hard as it's possible and.....Jim doesn't break. He actually does that a few times over the years, with the same results. The point of that statement is it's the justification of a sad loser for how broken and petty they are. It's not actually true.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's also not really relevant to Shigaraki anyway, because he had a whole lot more than one bad day leading to his becoming a villain. He faced daily abuse from his father, and his "support system" was people he cared about consoling him after the fact and telling him not to cry and stuff. Then he accidentally murdered most of his family, got hit in the face with gardening shears by his father, and deliberately attacked him, then wound up homeless for an indeterminate length of time before being found by history's greatest monster, who deliberately fostered all his negative feelings and pushed the idea that, yes, he is a monster meant to destroy everything, going so far as to give the kid a new name that means something like "death grip" and "mourning (the dead)" while handing over the remains of his dead family as a reminder of what he did.

This all happened when he was five years old. Like, someone brought up from five on by All For One probably wouldn't have stood much of a chance anyway, but then everything before that...

Tangent, this post arguing that Shigaraki's really the deuteragonist of the comic seemed pretty good to me. I don't quite agree with how the very end feels like it's trying to ignore the awful things he's done, though maybe it's just how it's being said that's bothering me, but overall the points regarding the parallels between Shigaraki and Deku and such make sense. It also got me thinking about the themes of the comic and got me back towards thinking that Shigaraki is going to be "saved" at some point, if not entirely "redeemed", despite how much he's done. After Shoto, Eri, Gentle, and so on, if the series just shrugs and goes "Shigaraki's circumstances mean he's an irredeemable fuckwit and nothing can be done about that, oh well", it'd be something of a reversal of its message up until now. People have been taking Gran Torino and Tsukauchi telling All Might that Shigaraki can't be saved as them being realistic, and possibly even a sort of message from Horikoshi to the audience, but I'm starting to think he actually wants us to side with All Might in that exchange. This is a shonen series, after all, and as dark as it's been getting it's still pretty idealistic overall, and has been even in the darkest arcs prior.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A52--FKUQgU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

He did. All Might fought AfO and crushed his empire a little over six years ago. Since we see AfO take in Shigaraki as a child, and Shigaraki is currently about 20, Shigaraki would have been under AfO's care for at least several years. That said, I don't think AfO decided on the "groom Shigaraki into my personal avenger" until after All Might smashed him.

Considering how long All For One was in charge, it probably took All Might years to tear apart his empire before finally confronting All For One. Shigaraki was probably a long term backup plan in case this All Might situation went poorly for AfO.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, as All For One himself says, he's the kind of guy to do that sort of thing (take in a child and twist him into a monster solely due to his relation to someone he hates) and probably would have enjoyed doing it even without the All Might aspect.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kanos posted:

Most people following this line of thought are assuming his quirk was inactive/dormant and forced quirk activation made it active in general to let events take their course, rather than a specific "decay right now" thing.

Fair, but I actually dont see any evidence that the forced quirk activation can even activate a dormant quirk. It looks more like meat puppetry than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Roland Jones posted:

Tangent, this post arguing that Shigaraki's really the deuteragonist of the comic seemed pretty good to me. I don't quite agree with how the very end feels like it's trying to ignore the awful things he's done, though maybe it's just how it's being said that's bothering me, but overall the points regarding the parallels between Shigaraki and Deku and such make sense. It also got me thinking about the themes of the comic and got me back towards thinking that Shigaraki is going to be "saved" at some point, if not entirely "redeemed", despite how much he's done. After Shoto, Eri, Gentle, and so on, if the series just shrugs and goes "Shigaraki's circumstances mean he's an irredeemable fuckwit and nothing can be done about that, oh well", it'd be something of a reversal of its message up until now. People have been taking Gran Torino and Tsukauchi telling All Might that Shigaraki can't be saved as them being realistic, and possibly even a sort of message from Horikoshi to the audience, but I'm starting to think he actually wants us to side with All Might in that exchange. This is a shonen series, after all, and as dark as it's been getting it's still pretty idealistic overall, and has been even in the darkest arcs prior.

Building onto this, after reading the latest chapter I'm convinced that it's going to be Shigaraki, not Deku, who ultimately kills All For One. The parallels in this hypothetical are too strong: both Kotaro and AFO are father figures to Shigaraki, and both of them are ultimately responsible for the torment and unending pain that Shigaraki experiences, first as Tenko in his childhood literally unable to withstand being at home without scratching himself to the point of disfigurement, and then as Shigaraki unable to exist in Quirk Society without an overwhelming desire to destroy it all and tear it down. Shimura Kotaro was the patriarch of the household, and everyone followed his orders -- and, as we know, All For One is the hidden patriarch of Quirk Society with nearly everything about it being able to be traced back to his orders or his influence. If the only thing that could quell Tenko's painful existence was killing Kotaro, then the only thing that could satisfy Shigaraki is killing All For One.

On top of that, we've already seen twice that One For All isn't capable of finishing off All For One -- first, implicitly, when All Might disfigured All For One and lost his internal organs in the process, and, second, explicitly, at Kamino with United States of Smash not actually killing AFO despite All Might pouring all of (what remains of) his strength into it. Sure, it could be a "Heroes don't kill" ethos, but we're shown that AFO is packed to the brim with durability Quirks, and for some reason I don't think All Might was holding back at Kamino.

What can Kill AFO? Perhaps a Quirk that disintegrates everything the user touches, without limit?

Some people might be concerned that this would redeem or justify Shigaraki, but I don't think so -- just like when Tenko finally kills Kotaro after disintegrating the rest of his family, it's shown to be clearly an evil, gleeful act, and it seems likely that Shigaraki destroying AFO would be similar.