Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

that's gotta be up there with sakigake otokojuku in terms of weird reactionary bullshit anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Eva-likes, I remember when Elfen Lied was on Netflix :yikes:
I was a tiny kid during the Suncoast era of “we’ll stock anything Japanimation” but I imagine that’s what it feels like

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Zephirum posted:

Speaking of Eva-likes, I remember when Elfen Lied was on Netflix :yikes:
I was a tiny kid during the Suncoast era of “we’ll stock anything Japanimation” but I imagine that’s what it feels like

Ugh, I hung out with a guy in college who thought Elfen Lied was the best thing ever.

I wonder if he ever ended up watching Blood-C.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

noether posted:

that's gotta be up there with sakigake otokojuku in terms of weird reactionary bullshit anime
Oh, I didn't even mention that the series of KlaxoHuman CloneElites are all kind of weird, with their leader being kind of feminine, and they throw the Male/Female Top/Bottom pilot dichotomy off. OR that the quiet, serious teammate figures out she's gay after pining for the Protag's freindzoned female buddy, but gets no real happy ending partner and instead figures out a way to cure their aging problem while she herself slowly passes away.

The series ends up being weirdly heteronormative, with a lot of rebuilding/growth tied to reproduction. Which, yeah, I get it since Japan has the birthrate problem to deal with.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 22, 2019

noether
May 1, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

Oh, I didn't even mention that the series of KlaxoHuman CloneElites are all kind of weird, with their leader being kind of feminine, and they throw the Male/Female Top/Bottom pilot dichotomy off. OR that the quiet, serious teammate figures out she's gay after pining for the Protag's freindzoned female buddy, but gets no real happy ending partner and instead figures out a way to cure their aging problem while she herself slowly passes away.

The series ends up being weirdly heteronormative, with a lot of rebuilding/growth tied to reproduction. Which, yeah, I get it since Japan has the birthrate problem to deal with.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

kaworu posted:

highly relatable words

Just wanted to say I liked what you wrote and felt similarly. I rewatched Eva for the first time since I was twelve this last month and...geez. I'm taking a short break from EMDR sessions right now and I had to bring up with the therapist how resonant the way its cuts and structure were for me after lots of processing, or more accurately how it resembled audio/visual elements of re-processing. Not long after I first watched the series, a suicide close to me shut off whatever more reflective attitudes were developing at that time, and I never went back to the show or movie. I saw the rebuild 1.0 on someone's laptop when I was on the streets for awhile in the 2010's, but wasn't really paying much attention or caring. Watching it last night though, what stood out of all things is Shinji sleeping wrapped in cardboard when he runs away for a bit. Having them show the lived-in parts of Tokyo-3 make it feel all the more a lonely place in 1.0.
I found myself much more drawn to EoE than I had been when I was younger. The shots using 35mm film in particular had a heavy emotional vibration. It was a nice treasure box of symbols and terms that I had put away somewhere, long before I really understood them, and it was a real reward to return to that place from such a different perspective. Misato, as you mentioned, was a character that I saw more thoroughly this time around...(probably because I'm leaving my 20's).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

FilthyImp posted:

That scene is so awkward and bad. The girl who figures out she's gay and suffers in silence for half the series finally breaks down and confesses to her crush. Her crush politely rejects her - which is itself fine - but then follows up with what amounts to telling the gay girl that it's okay, she'll get over it and find someone to be happy with. Given how super heteronormative the show is it's really hard to read the scene in a positive light.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Franxx looks like it's gonna be wacky fanservice, starts out actually teasing some interesting discussions from its heavily sex-based themes but while it never becomes Kill La Kill it just kinda throws it all away to try and be TTGL instead (and by doing that ends up in a problematic space). Freakin' waste, it's like someone got scared halfway through and decided to settle for the blandest takes possible.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Theres this show on Netflix called Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet and the first episode is some of the best high concept futuristic mecha poo poo I have ever seen outside of Evangelion.

The way humanity travels through space, the loving scale of the army, the enemy they're fighting, the musical score, it's all so loving cool. They build this entire world and then throw it all away in the 2nd episode. Protagonist and his robot crash lands on a strange planet and its all panty shots of female characters with weird animal pets from here on out. The change of pace could snap your neck. It's so loving strange. I stuck around for a bit and another guy in a robot suit shows up but its all the basic anime tropes note for note, there is nothing original or unique about anything past the first episode.

Seriously though watch that first episode. It's good enough to stand on its own.

EDIT: ah its been a few years since I watched it and it's only the first half of the first episode, still a great 12 minutes though

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 22, 2019

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

FilthyImp posted:

I mean, they imply with vaguest of end credit montages that the dying girl ends up with the protagonist's original FranXX partner that audience was lead to believe is dead for most of the show, but that's at best a last minute patch on a very narrow-minded seeming show.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Gargantia is one of the biggest wastes of potential I think I've ever seen in an anime. The setup is so cool and I want to say it stays interesting for a few after that as the MC is learning how to communicate with the ship's crew, but then you get the gay panic episode and it gets v. boring.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Nate RFB posted:

Gargantia is one of the biggest wastes of potential I think I've ever seen in an anime. The setup is so cool and I want to say it stays interesting for a few after that as the MC is learning how to communicate with the ship's crew, but then you get the gay panic episode and it gets v. boring.

Yeah, I really liked the first several episodes, the art style, the big Wind Waker mood, the cool combiner bioship colony, the early emphasis on learning the language and culture, and the goofy pirate empress, but after a little bit it took a downward turn.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Ultraklystron posted:

I mean, they imply with vaguest of end credit montages that the dying girl ends up with the protagonist's original FranXX partner that audience was lead to believe is dead for most of the show, but that's at best a last minute patch on a very narrow-minded seeming show.

Wait that was meant to be Hiro's OG partner?

God Franxx was such a loving mess. Just pretend it ends at episode 16 or whatever.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Doesn't FranXX dump a whole "lol oh by the way we're physically older than we are mentally and most of us are on our 3rd or 4th kid by age 24 or so" thing on you in the final episode? I'd swear I remember that happening and making me hate the series even more than I already did after binging it to see if it was the dumpster fire I'd been led to believe it is.

Zeruel posted:

God Franxx was such a loving mess. Just pretend it ends at episode 16 or whatever.

If you have to watch it, this seems to be the safest bet. Even if I kind of liked it briefly trying to turn into Gunbuster.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

EoE has ruined my enjoyment of pistachios

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

^^ I can't find the picture but I 100% know what you're referencing.

Zebulon posted:

Doesn't FranXX dump a whole "lol oh by the way we're physically older than we are mentally and most of us are on our 3rd or 4th kid by age 24 or so" thing on you in the final episode? I'd swear I remember that happening and making me hate the series even more than I already did after binging it to see if it was the dumpster fire I'd been led to believe it is.

If you have to watch it, this seems to be the safest bet. Even if I kind of liked it briefly trying to turn into Gunbuster.

not to franxxpost in the eva thread more, but
-stop watching at episode 15, after Zero Two and Hiro's super love attack confession. Just pretend the series went on hiatus or something after that episode.
-Futoshi has like, 4 kids at the end of the series, but all of the main cast have aged.
-Ikuno has a girlfriend but is also terminally ill so lmao bury your gays I guess
-Hiro and 02 do a suicide attack on the APE planet but APE is literally like 'we will be back' so their suicide attack means gently caress ALL
-They happily spiral as spirits toward Earth and are reincarnated into kids who meet at the tree where 02's body was when it turned to ash and a sakura sprouted
-Oh did I not mention that 02's soul gets stuck inside the Franxx and her body is basically invalid?
-Kokoro gets teen pregnant

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Zeruel posted:

Wait that was meant to be Hiro's OG partner?

Yeah, it's an huge train wreck, made all that more impressive by the fact the big themes are mostly cribbed, but it was just terrible at doing them because everything they tried to add undermined what they lifted/referenced.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If you want a mecha show about relationships, watch Godannar :kamina:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Battle Cats is an extremely cute tower defense game.

FilthyImp posted:

The robbits work for teens because any desire or emotion is bred out of adults. The plugsuits for the girls grow controls and a display interface from the hips, and their "pilot" arrangement is basically face-down, rear end-up for the girls while the guys "pilot" by grabbing into the hip-controls and oh god why.

From what I recall:
Ages ago, a team of reclusive scientists called APE showed up and gave humanity the key to sustainable power and immortality through cultivation of Magma energy. The Earth is basically ruined and humanity survives in giant domed cities called Plantations. Blue monsters called Klaxosaurs begin attacking, and giant robots called Franxx, piloted by male-female pairs, are developed to fight them.
A horned girl named 02 encounters our protagonist and takes a liking to him after licking him. She's a "partner killer" who sucks the life out of her partner while piloting a Franxx. He survives and they become a team. Cue intrigue.
We later find out that Dr. Franx found a Klaxosaur queen and cloned her to make 02 and a series of other elite pilots. Franx also is obsessed with the queen and creates an Ur-Franxx designed to be piloted by her and him. Magma energy is actually derived from the Klaxosaurs, who have given up their forms to transform into giant bioweapons to fight against the pillaging of their population for fuel. We learn that psychosexual energy helps pilots synchronize, and that emotion is stripped out of adults as a condition of their immortality. Also all life is genetically engineered and no one fucks anymore, except for two of the pilots on the team who end up getting mindwiped after the girl gets pregnant.
APE turns most of the adults into energy, leaving the kids without guidance of FATHER and no supply drops, leaving them to rediscover farming and basic civilization poo poo. APE is discovered to infiltrated by an alien hive mind called VIRM who basically Borgs civilizations into their singularity and were fought off by the Klaxosaurs before humanity developed. 02 and the protag fight off VIRM and leave in the ultramech to take the fight to their homeworld. Protag is slowly turning into a hybrid and growing horns thanks to his contact with 02.
In a flashback we learn 02 escaped from her lab as a child (and looked less human) but came across the protag as a child. They ran away and he told her the story of a demon who so loved a prince that she became human for him (prompting 02 to become human over time).
The last part of the series shows life continuing on Earth as civilization slowly rebuilds, with their former teammates aging and vmbecoming leaders while the SuperFranx (who goes full Diebuster and looks like 02) destroys a VIRM assault group. VIRM vows to return one day as the souls of 02 and Protag travel back to a now-advanced Earth and are reborn, fated to meet and reunite in peace time.

The Aristocrats!

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I think Franxx was a huge mess because it was being made by three separate studios it was split between Studio Trigger, A-1 Pictures, and Cloverworks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Darling_in_the_Franxx_episodes

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cloverworks is part of A-1 and Trigger didn't do all that much work on the series. That's also all production-side and wouldn't have much to do with the creative end of things (which iirc was entirely an A-1 guy), even if contacting and working with external companies on various aspects of production (CG, backgrounds, etc) wasn't extremely common.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah, trigger gets a lot of poo poo for Franxx considering that they only really handled the character and mech designs, I don't think they had much input on the story at all

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Trigger didn't do any of the poo poo people were upset about. Hell, I think they might've been busy with Little Witch Academia during most of that.

noether
May 1, 2017

how many people actually know what rei's deal is in canon? i.e. that she's (most of?) lilith's soul being passed around between various clones of yui

like gendo and ritsuko know everything, and ritsuko shows shinji and misato the reiquarium towards the end... but like, does anyone else really know what's going on down there? how much does rei know about herself, even? like, she knows there's clones of her down in the basement, she knows she's died a couple times, and she's been down to terminal dogma before, but does she know she's a clone of yui, or that part of her soul (might be?) in unit 0, or that she possesses lilith's soul?

unrelated, does anyone have good and/or amusing fanfic recommendations?

so far I've found this one, which is about like, shinji and asuka getting hosed up from mind-melding briefly when they piloted together that one time

this one, which casts asuka as a trans man struggling with his identity.

this one, which is a (mostly) lighthearted story about the characters trying to make sense of the world post-3I

this one, which is sort of an alternate retelling of 3I

and I've been working on this myself. it's mostly shinji trying to come out as a trans girl and asuka being an rear end about it so far.

obviously all of these have a good amount of jankiness to them just by nature of what they are, but I've been having fun with them anyway

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

noether posted:

how many people actually know what rei's deal is in canon? i.e. that she's (most of?) lilith's soul being passed around between various clones of yui

like gendo and ritsuko know everything, and ritsuko shows shinji and misato the reiquarium towards the end... but like, does anyone else really know what's going on down there? how much does rei know about herself, even? like, she knows there's clones of her down in the basement, she knows she's died a couple times, and she's been down to terminal dogma before, but does she know she's a clone of yui, or that part of her soul (might be?) in unit 0, or that she possesses lilith's soul?

Fuyutsuki, Gendo, Ritsuko and maybe, but not likely, Naoko.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

At some point after Rei II, she wisens up to the fact when she says Tadaima~ to Lilith
e whoops lol

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 22, 2019

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

after a rewatch of the rebuild I have to say that the soundtracks for 2.22 and 3.33 are amazing especially the operatic tracks that are in English, the lyrics of their respective songs are all directly related to eva and what's happening on screen or in the series overall

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

noether posted:

unrelated, does anyone have good and/or amusing fanfic recommendations?

so far I've found this one, which is about like, shinji and asuka getting hosed up from mind-melding briefly when they piloted together that one time

this one, which casts asuka as a trans man struggling with his identity.

this one, which is a (mostly) lighthearted story about the characters trying to make sense of the world post-3I

this one, which is sort of an alternate retelling of 3I

and I've been working on this myself. it's mostly shinji trying to come out as a trans girl and asuka being an rear end about it so far.

obviously all of these have a good amount of jankiness to them just by nature of what they are, but I've been having fun with them anyway

I assume you've already seen this but we've been reposting the same arguments for 20 years so might as well repost memes too.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Tythas posted:

after a rewatch of the rebuild I have to say that the soundtracks for 2.22 and 3.33 are amazing especially the operatic tracks that are in English, the lyrics of their respective songs are all directly related to eva and what's happening on screen or in the series overall

Keep Your Head Above the Mayhem (2EM32) and The Final Decision We All Must Take (2EM33) from 2.22 are really good

Sin From Genesis (2EM36) and 2EM36_E16 are remixes of The Beast II, with the former not having the guitar kick in at 0:22

Trust =3EM19=/3EM19 Omni 09 , It Will Mean Victory =3EM24=, and Gods Gift =3EM31= from 3.33 as well

Music is definitely not Eva's weak point

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Whichever ones from 3.33 that are remixes of the Nautilus launching from Nadia always gets me pumped.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

GimmickMan posted:

I assume you've already seen this but we've been reposting the same arguments for 20 years so might as well repost memes too.

Who still has the old Shinji to Asuka HRT timeline

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

bring back old gbs posted:

Theres this show on Netflix called Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet and the first episode is some of the best high concept futuristic mecha poo poo I have ever seen outside of Evangelion.

The way humanity travels through space, the loving scale of the army, the enemy they're fighting, the musical score, it's all so loving cool. They build this entire world and then throw it all away in the 2nd episode. Protagonist and his robot crash lands on a strange planet and its all panty shots of female characters with weird animal pets from here on out. The change of pace could snap your neck. It's so loving strange. I stuck around for a bit and another guy in a robot suit shows up but its all the basic anime tropes note for note, there is nothing original or unique about anything past the first episode.

Seriously though watch that first episode. It's good enough to stand on its own.

EDIT: ah its been a few years since I watched it and it's only the first half of the first episode, still a great 12 minutes though

I actually disagree with this! The panty shots and crap are pretty annoying (actually every single female character design is pretty terrible, which I've come to expect in anime) but the plot itself is pretty interesting. Big spoilers to follow: So yeah humanity left Earth behind because it got trashed and environmental destruction etc etc and became spacefaring, living in massive awesome colonies. The army pilots are so distanced from the public that they're almost a separate branch, like soldier ants. Main character goes through a vortex and lands on water planet, meets humans (!????) and within a couple episodes we discover the alien planet is actually Earth (what quelle surprise) that recovered over the generations and humanity has broadly learned to cope with it. Everyone lives on scavenged ships and conducts dives down to the remnants of pre-flood civilization to pull up old tech. It's not post-apocalyptic, it's post-post-apocalyptic - everything from the past is gone, but a new status quo has taken its place. And for the most part it's actually kind of nice? Life is weird, but people live happy lives uncaring of what was 'lost' in the past.

So! Back in space at the beginning, the army was fighting against a bunch of alien squid monsters with biotech ships and weapons. MC on Earth has some culture shock for a while trying to figure out what to do with himself (bred for fighting exclusively) in a peaceful world - until he's on an underwater scavenging mission with his advanced tech and spots a strangely degenerate alien squid monster. It looks nothing like the space-faring ones, but it still matches in the sensors. So he murders them and immediately thinks the planet is under attack and offers to go clear out a big nest of 'whalesquids' (which is what the locals call them - they find them dangerous, but harmless when left alone). He goes to the nest and murders hundreds of them and destroys their eggs and nymphs with lasers and feels great about himself. While there, he finds an old degraded data disk and watches it. Here's more spoilers:
the squid beings are humans, who engineered themselves to live underwater or in space to cope with environmental pressures. There's a bunch of cultural and religious objection to this, and eventually it boils over into open conflict. The humans up in space in colonies and the vast 'alien' armies are hundreds of generations down the line, specializing themselves for warfare until they drifted further and further apart!

This unsurprisingly triggers a bit of an existential crisis for the MC.

More stuff happens, including the aforementioned other robot suit guy from the army, his commanding officer except no the commanding officer died before they even landed so his robot's AI extrapolates his wishes and pretends to be him, another type of life branching off from humanity, but the coolest bits are spoilered above. And, yes, there is a gay panic scene (why) and dumb beach episodes and you could literally strip out most of the scenes with female characters without changing the plot (besides improving it with their absence), but DESPITE THAT I still think it's a solid bit of transhumanist sci-fi tropical mecha shenanigans.

edit: more mecha shows need to take place underwater

noether
May 1, 2017

Luigi Thirty posted:

Who still has the old Shinji to Asuka HRT timeline

me

trans girl shinji is very good

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

noether posted:

me

Yessss :toot:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

noether posted:

Also, I don't know how Anno can say "in 12 years there has been no anime newer than Eva" when Revolutionary Girl Utena came out 1 year after Evangelion. I'm rewatching it with a friend who's seeing it for the first time, and Utena is a real trip in 2019 America.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

noether
May 1, 2017

Cephas posted:

Also, I don't know how Anno can say "in 12 years there has been no anime newer than Eva" when Revolutionary Girl Utena came out 1 year after Evangelion. I'm rewatching it with a friend who's seeing it for the first time, and Utena is a real trip in 2019 America.

yeah, eva gets left in the dust by basically any extremely gay and/or trans anime

I really ought to watch utena at some point. I know it's a major part of the Gay Anime Canon, but I always have a really hard time getting into transmasc-coded stuff like that for stupid dysphoria reasons :/

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Revolutionary Girl Utena is no joke the greatest anime ever made.

I've spent more time thinking and writing about Evangelion but half of that is because I don't feel qualified to talk about lesbian relationships, familial domestic abuse, or the kind of school drama / romance anime that influenced it in the same way I do about neurodivergence, communication, or New Wave science fiction re: Evangelion.

(The other half is because Evangelion is both more popular and invites confusion, conversation, and argument in a way that I'm not sure Utena quite does, maybe because it's more consistent in its surreal presentation all the way through while Evangelion starts out as a relatively straightforward monster of the week show and evolves into something else.)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Revolutionary Girl Utena is no joke the greatest anime ever made.

I've spent more time thinking and writing about Evangelion but half of that is because I don't feel qualified to talk about lesbian relationships, familial domestic abuse, or the kind of school drama / romance anime that influenced it in the same way I do about neurodivergence, communication, or New Wave science fiction re: Evangelion.

(The other half is because Evangelion is both more popular and invites confusion, conversation, and argument in a way that I'm not sure Utena quite does, maybe because it's more consistent in its surreal presentation all the way through while Evangelion starts out as a relatively straightforward monster of the week show and evolves into something else.)

I'd say it's more that it spends some time in the middle as a straightforward monster-of-the-week show. Everything up until Ramiel is pretty heavy on the psychological drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

noether posted:

me

just reverse the arrow and numbers to get shinji's transition timeline