Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I went from no beard to beard and back to no beard over the course of 4 months. The no beard to beard was gradual and not really mentioned.

The beard to no beard happened while my kids slept and in the morning, my daughter (2.5yo at the time) asked what happened to my face. I told her that I shaved my beard off. She talked about how "Daddy shaved his beard" for the next week and thought it was hilarious. My son (5mo at the time) didn't notice.

Ymmv, but for me, the drastic hair change created more amusement than anything else.

2DEG posted:

I dyed my hair green and my then-6 month old didn't give a poo poo.

The Fool posted:

I gave my son (3) the clippers and let him go to town then finished up when he got bored. He had fun and it was less of a surprise for him than me coming home from the barber or something.

I guess one thing I have going for me is that I wear a baseball cap a lot? My son is used to it and always tries to play with my baseball caps when I hold him, he loves them. He also tries to put them on his head. Maybe a baseball cap will ease the transition? I’m nervous I’ll look hideous anyway with a red scalp, so will probably wear a baseball cap either way.

Otherwise I have peace about the decision to go smooth bald rather than try to hold onto hair that’s on its way out, besides being worried my son will cry every time he sees me for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

“My wife insists on sleeping on the floor next to the crib now, however.”

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

1up posted:

We made a "monster spray" that was basically watered down frebreeze and sprayed all the scary things away before bed. Only needed it for a couple of months and she never mentioned it again. 🤷

We told our son that monsters and ghosts can't get him at night because he farts in his sleep and they hate farts.

He laughed and only occasionally has any issues with the dark since.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

It's not as dumb as it sounds. The Rock n' Play we (used to) have (before it got recalled) had a vibration feature that worked really well. Plus since they plug there's no batteries to worry about. It's also not $1300, which apparently is what people are willing to pay for a glorified bassinet. Not to mention you'll actually have a use for the Magic Wand later on.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Random question: anyone know of places to get cheap baby clothes in Northern Virginia?

When we lived up in Boston my wife had a coworker with a baby a few months ahead of us, so we got plenty of hand me downs. That well has dried up since we moved though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

nwin posted:

Random question: anyone know of places to get cheap baby clothes in Northern Virginia?

When we lived up in Boston my wife had a coworker with a baby a few months ahead of us, so we got plenty of hand me downs. That well has dried up since we moved though.

How old?

Once Upon a Child is a pretty inexpensive consignment store.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How old?

Once Upon a Child is a pretty inexpensive consignment store.

9 months

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

nwin posted:

Little Lords and Ladies and Kid to Kid are a couple kid consignment shops in Fairfax County. Hope that's close enough to where you are.

I work in Fairfax and would gladly pass on what we have but we also have a nine month old so not much use.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

a friendly penguin posted:

Little Lords and Ladies and Kid to Kid are a couple kid consignment shops in Fairfax County. Hope that's close enough to where you are.

I work in Fairfax and would gladly pass on what we have but we also have a nine month old so not much use.

We’re in Alexandria so that doesn’t seem to bad of a drive-thanks!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We told our 6 year old that our dog that died is now the house guardian that keeps the ghosts and monsters away. He also has a stuffed animal that's the same type the dog was and we put his old collar on it. It works well.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Honestly I've had pretty good luck hanging around on the Facebook marketplace...it's certainly not the most elegant tool, but I recently got 8 sleepers for $5 and a $300 baby Bjorn high chair for $40. It's hit or miss but worth a look. It helps if you make sure your search radius includes your local bougie neighborhoods.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Where can I find sleep sacks with long sleeves for tall babies? My 3 month old is a giant and is 26” long and close to 16 lb and is too tall for her sleep bags that are supposed to be good for up to 9 months. Amazon doesn’t have bigger ones with long sleeves and Carter’s only has mediums which are good for 25”.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Koivunen posted:

Where can I find sleep sacks with long sleeves for tall babies? My 3 month old is a giant and is 26” long and close to 16 lb and is too tall for her sleep bags that are supposed to be good for up to 9 months. Amazon doesn’t have bigger ones with long sleeves and Carter’s only has mediums which are good for 25”.

My baby is similarly tall. All our sleep sacks were hand-me-downs but when I get home I can take a look at the brands and recommend them.

Oh wait, you need sleeves. What we've been doing is putting her in a long-sleeved onesie and sleeveless sacks.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I appreciate the sleeveless just so it's easier to put a sleeping baby in one without waking him up.

We got our dtap yesterday and, holy gently caress I'm so tired. Our baby spent the entire night screaming, and has been fussy all day. We're drugging him up with all the Tylenol allowed and it's just not enough.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

wizzardstaff posted:

Oh wait, you need sleeves. What we've been doing is putting her in a long-sleeved onesie and sleeveless sacks.

Yeah, the only long-sleeved ones I remember were Carters, so we also used long-sleeved pajamas or onesies under the sleeveless sacks when he outgrew the Carters.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Renegret posted:

I appreciate the sleeveless just so it's easier to put a sleeping baby in one without waking him up.

We got our dtap yesterday and, holy gently caress I'm so tired. Our baby spent the entire night screaming, and has been fussy all day. We're drugging him up with all the Tylenol allowed and it's just not enough.

have you tried bolting a dildo to the bottom of the crib?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

have you tried bolting a dildo to the bottom of the crib?

I already share my time, soon I'll be sharing my pizza crust.

This baby can have my vibrator when he pries it from my cold, dead rear end.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
We have a couple sleeveless ones and we put her in a long sleeved onesie, but her hands get cold and it seems like she sleeps better when her arms are warm and cozy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Koivunen posted:

My son is around 26" long and weighs about 14 pounds at 4 months. My wife sews her own sleep sacks for him.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
We always just went with socks on the hands.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Our son is 24" and 15lbs at 3.5 months. We switched to sleeveless sleep sacks and that seems to have worked so far

On a related but different topic: we've been having troubles with daytime naps. Before he would sleep ~1-2 hours when he went down for a nap. Now he's only sleeping 15-30 minutes. He's obviously getting tired throughout the day and starts to become crankier as it progresses until 6-7pm; where he just passes out for most of the night. We're using a sound machine and blackout curtains but so far no luck.

Iassume this is related to sleep regression but is there anything we can do besides ride it out?

zingiber
Apr 14, 2019

Koivunen posted:

zipadeezips all the way, yo. They are pretty forgiving size wise.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Koivunen posted:

Ergopouch has arm warmers designed to be layered over any sleeping bag or sleep sack here: https://www.ergopouch.com.au/ergoarms-natural.html?___store=au&nosto=nosto-page-search1

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

On a related but different topic: we've been having troubles with daytime naps. Before he would sleep ~1-2 hours when he went down for a nap. Now he's only sleeping 15-30 minutes. He's obviously getting tired throughout the day and starts to become crankier as it progresses until 6-7pm; where he just passes out for most of the night. We're using a sound machine and blackout curtains but so far no luck.

Iassume this is related to sleep regression but is there anything we can do besides ride it out?

Nope.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the deals thread. Picked up one of the doggy backpacks for my little goob. Seems like a solid deal.

https://amzn.to/2LDck9J

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Play with awake windows - are you keeping him up too long/not long enough? I think around that age we were awake for 1.5hr at a time. And make sure to maintain the wake window even if he takes a short nap, if you put them down too early you get stuck in vicious cycle. Ultimately do what you gotta do to continue the nap - babywear or hold him and see if he’ll go back to sleep. My kid would sleep for 30 mins on his own and then 2 hours on me. Now at 9 months he’s back to taking lovely short naps and won’t even go back to sleep on me. Shoot me.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah we're trying to keep him up 1.5 - 2 hours and make sure to get some physical activity each wake period. I think we'll trying wrapping him next but the fear was he becomes dependent on that and then we're stuck in that cycle

anyway thanks for the advice and let's see what happens

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

I finally got him to take his first full bottle today at 6pm. Then we gave him Tylenol for his fever and he immediately projectile vomited his entire stomach contents all over me. This is the second time he's done that today.

We're 99% sure it's the flavor of the Tylenol. He was happy with the grape, then he very visibly hated the dye free cherry flavor. I ran to CVS, got some more grape, and he gobbled it down like it was a treat with no problems.

I swear this baby needs the most inconvenient, specific, and expensive things in this life. Needs alimemtum liquid formula (the powder makes him vomit), can only use Pampers, everything else leaves marks on his rear end, we switched to water wipes because even the normal sensitive Pampers wipes made him break out in a rash. We have a prescription ointment for his dry, red, cracking ankles because lotion isn't enough. Now I can't even buy whatever Tylenol is on sale anymore. The easiest thing to deal with is the bog standard acid reflux.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

Renegret posted:

I finally got him to take his first full bottle today at 6pm. Then we gave him Tylenol for his fever and he immediately projectile vomited his entire stomach contents all over me. This is the second time he's done that today.

We're 99% sure it's the flavor of the Tylenol. He was happy with the grape, then he very visibly hated the dye free cherry flavor. I ran to CVS, got some more grape, and he gobbled it down like it was a treat with no problems.

I swear this baby needs the most inconvenient, specific, and expensive things in this life. Needs alimemtum liquid formula (the powder makes him vomit), can only use Pampers, everything else leaves marks on his rear end, we switched to water wipes because even the normal sensitive Pampers wipes made him break out in a rash. We have a prescription ointment for his dry, red, cracking ankles because lotion isn't enough. Now I can't even buy whatever Tylenol is on sale anymore. The easiest thing to deal with is the bog standard acid reflux.

Sensitive pampers wipes are the worst, and were the cause of all of my girl's rashes for the first 5 months. We wouldn't have known except we were visiting family and ran out, and my aunt handed us their huggies naturals to use gor the rest of the trip, and all rashes went away. We had most of a club pack of Pampers wipes left and we couldn't give them away because the other parents we knew who were still using wipes had the same experience.

I should have picked it up earlier because my skin is very sensitive and my hands were constantly chapping and cracking that first 5 mos as well, just from handling the wipes (even though I was washing and moisturizing after every bum change).

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Thanks for the sleep sack stuff!

I have become a Huggies convert. Pampers swaddlers were okay, and would only leak on occasion, but the baby dry were awful. Her poop would shoot straight up the back every time. We got some Huggies snug and dry on a whim and it was like the heavens parted. There was a night where I forgot to do a middle of the night change, and when I changed her the next time that diaper was heavy AF but didn’t leak at all and her skin seemed pretty dry. The Huggies natural care wipes are by far my favorite.

Update on the sleep routine stuff: We are waiting until she is tired and hungry, then doing a bath or warm water tub, followed by lavender lotion, sleep sack, and a feed. Two nights were really successful, she slept for five hours straight after putting her down. The other nights were a little tougher but it hasn’t been that long. I’m enjoying the routine too, it’s a nice way to wind down.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Ha I love pampers sensitive wipes and have been using them for 3.5 years with no issues. Hate Huggies wipes - they tear super easily! Amazon’s wipes are actually great too.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Seventh Generation wipes are in high regard (for poo poo wipes) here.

I'll pick out a nice spike for my head at the le Place de la Révolution.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

1up posted:

We made a "monster spray" that was basically watered down frebreeze and sprayed all the scary things away before bed. Only needed it for a couple of months and she never mentioned it again. 🤷

My 3 year old has been having bad dreams about bugs, so I suggested big spray on her bed.

"That won't work because the bugs are imaginary."

Well, you got me there, kid. :sigh:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PerniciousKnid posted:

My 3 year old has been having bad dreams about bugs, so I suggested big spray on her bed.

Tell her to use imaginary bug spray then.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

PerniciousKnid posted:

yeah how feasible is it to train my offspring to vaporize their fears with like, brain lazers or some poo poo. how young is too young to teach them to kamehameha.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Tell her to use imaginary bug spray then.

It didn't work, she put me in a rhetorical chokehold and I passed out.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

yeah how feasible is it to train my offspring to vaporize their fears with like, brain lazers or some poo poo. how young is too young to teach them to kamehameha.

Couldn't hurt to try, probably! I imagine it varies widely by kid.

Edit: There's also this game: Go Away Monster

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Has anyone gotten their child through surrogacy? I'm wondering if you've noticed any lingering affects. My wife has MS and her sister volunteered.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Our 15 month old is likely ready for some very basic potty introduction. While we don't plan on getting the actual practice down I do want to procure a potty for her now so she can get used to seeing it and such. Done a bit of digging on the subject but I'm not seeing any standout picks. Have any of you had a particularly good experience with one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chili posted:

Our 15 month old is likely ready for some very basic potty introduction. While we don't plan on getting the actual practice down I do want to procure a potty for her now so she can get used to seeing it and such. Done a bit of digging on the subject but I'm not seeing any standout picks. Have any of you had a particularly good experience with one?

Oh Crap! Potty Training is all we used to get our daughter to be potty trained. It worked really well.

In terms of pottys we just got some cheap ones from a consignment sale.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 27, 2019