Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Takes literally 30 seconds to replace in a gen 3. Maybe 45 seconds if you've never done it before.

Maybe if your tool chest includes a time machine lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I installed the eFocus RMM today. I haven't gone for a test drive yet, but I'm curious to see if I notice any difference.

The PO was telling the truth about installing the Cusco RMM inserts. They were just some sort of polyurethane inserts that filled the voids in the OEM RMM. It all appeared to be in okay condition. I guess if the eFocus isn't any better I can fall back on the original.

While I was under the car, I tried to get a closer look at the various bushings again. It looks like my front lower control arm bushings are probably failing, or in the process of failing:

Front passenger side:

Front driver side:

So at this point I'm not sure what the best approach is. I don't know what the condition is of the "forward" bushings in the control arm, or the ball joints for that matter. I could order new control arms with preinstalled bushings or just replace these rearward bushings.

I'm tempted just to find an Austin shop to do it-- at that point do I have the shop do the front struts for me as well? Pressing bushings and separating ball joints from the knuckle or the control arm doesn't sound very fun to me.

Any tips?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I did the eFocus RMM and Koni Special Active Shocks (newer versions of the FSDs) this weekend, and power delivery seems more direct, and my rear end clunk is gone.

I'm so happy. The car feels almost like I remember it when it was new. I imagine when I get to to do the front struts the car will be great again.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 8, 2019

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Is there any way to get Android Auto/CarPlay on the CX-5 Sport (like pay the dealer a few hundo to flash it?) or am I out of luck unless I shell out for the Touring trim?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You should be able to have the dealer install it on any MZD Connect car. It may or may not require a hardware change (it did on my 2016 3)

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

Is there any way to get Android Auto/CarPlay on the CX-5 Sport (like pay the dealer a few hundo to flash it?) or am I out of luck unless I shell out for the Touring trim?

If your handy at all, you can do it yourself, I did and saved a couple hundred bucks, it was pretty easy.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Fabulousity posted:

I think I know roughly where that picture was taken. Anyways it looks great, what about it don't you like?

Sorry I forgot to reply. That's right outside TruLine Seattle. I was hoping that I could stay about stock height, as I drive in snow and unimproved roads. It also makes weird noises when cornering. Is that normal? Otherwise it does look nice and drives fine.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
loving backordered suspension. I'm told now my missing front Koni strut has been pushed out another three weeks.

This better not drag on like some tile I ordered for my kitchen remodel that took 4-5 months to be delivered.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I keep stalling out on suspension. What's the best budget option for all 4 corners? Shocks/struts/springs.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Well I've replaced the OEM rears on my MS3 with Koni SAS shocks. I have the right front strut in a box and the left is backordered or something.

The new shocks were like a night and day difference. Firm, but not bouncy/rough. I'll give more feedback once I get the fronts on, but with stock springs I'm happy so far.

I have no interest in lowering the car since I already scrape on things at the factory ride height. Stiffer springs also seem kind of pointless.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Rhyno posted:

I keep stalling out on suspension. What's the best budget option for all 4 corners? Shocks/struts/springs.

What kind of budget? Just some basic shocks like KYBs would be the cheapest option. Springs don't really wear out so unless you want the car lower and stiffer you can leave them alone. But you could add something like an eibach prokit, go with Bilstein B6 struts/shocks for a slight upgrade, or even look into some of the entry level coilovers. But I was surprised the STs I sent Charles wound up as low as they did- generally you can get pretty close to stock height. Although I think it looks pretty good and it's not like, way too low or anything, and they were nearly the same price as bilsteins and springs would be.

Also while I was checking on some prices and availability I found my distributor is still clearing out a few tokicos at comically low prices. They have fronts HP blues for a speed 6 but no rears. But they'd be like $25 a piece. You could put them on with kyb rears and have new shocks/struts for like $120.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jamal posted:

What kind of budget? Just some basic shocks like KYBs would be the cheapest option. Springs don't really wear out so unless you want the car lower and stiffer you can leave them alone. But you could add something like an eibach prokit, go with Bilstein B6 struts/shocks for a slight upgrade, or even look into some of the entry level coilovers. But I was surprised the STs I sent Charles wound up as low as they did- generally you can get pretty close to stock height. Although I think it looks pretty good and it's not like, way too low or anything, and they were nearly the same price as bilsteins and springs would be.

Also while I was checking on some prices and availability I found my distributor is still clearing out a few tokicos at comically low prices. They have fronts HP blues for a speed 6 but no rears. But they'd be like $25 a piece. You could put them on with kyb rears and have new shocks/struts for like $120.

Every time I start looking into it I end up at like $800 and just nope out. The springs on the car are allegedly H&R brand< i was mostly just looking at covering my bases as far as replacements. Can you price me out on the eibach/b6 combo and the coilovers?

I might be down for the $120 combo option. You can PM me prices if you have time later. I'm kind of motivated to get my cars back up to snuff.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So how have the Skyactiv motors been so far? I may be looking at a 2016 3 hatch....Any issues I should be aware of?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
My front strut was finally delivered!

Guess I 'm doing my front struts and endlinks soon. I just need to go rent a spring compressor.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So how have the Skyactiv motors been so far? I may be looking at a 2016 3 hatch....Any issues I should be aware of?

They’re great. I’ve had a 2014 with the 2.0 Skyactiv and not a hiccup in 100,000 miles.

My only non-maintenance work on the car has been the reverse camera going wonky at 80k, and contact cleaner fixed that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I have a 2016 2.5. There is a bit of notchiness going into second gear which I need to get looked at but no engine issues.

Also had the wonky reverse camera (fixed under warranty), intermittent nav issues (fixed with a firmware update) and the auto braking system disables itself fairly regularly (fixes itself once the windscreen clears).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I am looking really seriously at a '19 Mazda3 hatch right now. Are there any show-stopping nightmares with the 2.0L in the new gen of 3s?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

It’s a carry over from the last model so no issues.

There are a few people on the Mazda3 reddit complaining about software (failed auto braking, average fuel economy displaying wrong, stuff like that) and trim issues though (creaks, rattles, rear view mirror falling off etc) so there are likely to be teething problems with the non mechanical stuff.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The demo car only had a rattle in the rear view vanity mirror. I figured the engine was a carryover from the previous gen so that's good to hear.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

They’re great. I’ve had a 2014 with the 2.0 Skyactiv and not a hiccup in 100,000 miles.

My only non-maintenance work on the car has been the reverse camera going wonky at 80k, and contact cleaner fixed that.

I just test drove one and it was pretty nice. Made a weird noise at startup that sounded like an exhaust leak but thats normal I guess? Something about cold start warmup exhaust re-circulation or something?

Also it had a pretty rough idle during stops, and the salesman said that was normal for the engine as well but I'm not so sure about that one.....

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

I just test drove one and it was pretty nice. Made a weird noise at startup that sounded like an exhaust leak but thats normal I guess? Something about cold start warmup exhaust re-circulation or something?

Also it had a pretty rough idle during stops, and the salesman said that was normal for the engine as well but I'm not so sure about that one.....

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed that. I have to shift the MT a little slower on cold winter mornings and the idle is obviously faster, but still sounds healthy

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The car i test drove was at a dealer and was an MT but it was out of my price range.....There are a few being privately sold within my budget but they are all automatics, guess i'm gonna have to test drive an AT but I hear they are really good and as long as that's the case I'm good with it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The Skyactiv AT is pretty good for what it is, better than most ATs out there except maybe some of the higher-end BMW units.

I had the 2015 Mazda3 with the 2.2 diesel (295 ft-lb of torque) and AT, it was very smooth.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Not a powertrain problem, obviously, but the infotainment system touchscreen on these models can register phantom presses in hot weather. If you connect your phone to the infotainment system, it will start randomly calling people on your contacts list when you are idling at stoplights. My 2016 3 hatch has this issue.

Mazda has extended the warranty for this repair, but I'm unsure if that would transfer to the second owner of the car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

silence_kit posted:

Not a powertrain problem, obviously, but the infotainment system touchscreen on these models can register phantom presses in hot weather. If you connect your phone to the infotainment system, it will start randomly calling people on your contacts list when you are idling at stoplights. My 2016 3 hatch has this issue.

Mazda has extended the warranty for this repair, but I'm unsure if that would transfer to the second owner of the car.

Good to know and ask the owners if this has been done. Usually stuff like that transfers I think, my wife just had a huge recall approved on her 2011 Lexus, the entire dashboard and all the door panels plus some other interior panels are being replaced and we bought it used. That's Lexus tho so who knows.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yes, mazda extended warranties cover additional owners. Buddy of mine is the second owner of a 2010 rx-8 and talked to mazda usa about their extended warranty coverage.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Mazda 3 infotainment systems, my 15' has been having this intermittent issue with the backup camera where the display looks like a VHS tape from 1991, complete with static and vertical scrolling. I'm guessing there's a bad connector somewhere but I'm not sure where to start looking. Is this a common issue? Edit: poo poo, I didn't realize it had been discussed on this very page. Where did you put the contact cleaner?

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 28, 2019

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yes that’s a common one. Dealer fixed mine under warranty, said it was a loose/corroded connector somewhere in the tailgate wiring.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Yea, mine was doing that like, every third time I backed up. I popped off the panel on the inside of the rear hatch (probably the same for a trunk lid) and sprayed the connectors back there. Haven't had the problem since.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

I came here to ask this exact question. I currently have a toss-up between a Volvo V40 and a 3, leaning more towards the 3 due to better reviews and equipment.

silence_kit posted:

What are you calling "hot" weather? Like I'm in the UK, it's not really consistently hot here (he says a week after a hilarious heatwave), so I just wanna get this in perspective.

Another question I have is does anyone have any experience with engine remaps? Seems like it's a fairly straightforward tune to get from the (far more common here) 120bhp to the ~165bhp sport tune.

I'd probably be looking to get a 120 motor and map it up rather than hunt for a sport that's already at 165.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

silence_kit posted:

Glad you mentioned an extended warranty, got an appointment Friday to confirm the issue on my '14 3 hatch so they can order the back ordered part. Service rep said it is a 7 year/no millage limit from purchase warranty now for the screen. Been going crazy the last few months with the phantom presses.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

AirRaid posted:

What are you calling "hot" weather? Like I'm in the UK, it's not really consistently hot here (he says a week after a hilarious heatwave), so I just wanna get this in perspective.

I've noticed the problem on my car at temperatures > 85 F (> ~30 C). I'm not sure how universal that is, though. Here is a Mazda3 car forum thread on this issue:

https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2018-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/182434-infotainment-system-going-crazy.html

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Got a pic of me driving my NC1 PRHT

So far I'm not a fan, but maybe it will grow on me. Currently wearing whatever the good BFG all seasons are, but I'm disappointed in them.

Done: Motorcraft gear oil, Voodoo knob, GROM audio

To do: tint the loving Altezzas, replace the loving Bilsteins and springs because holy gently caress they're terrible, maybe add SmartTop

How often should diff fluid be changed?

blk fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 1, 2019

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
What in the ever loving Christ is that monstrosity.

Your picture is hosed up that's a press photo of a Nissan or some poo poo you goober.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Looks like a Murano Cross Cabriolet

Which has been correctly identified as a monstrosity.

E: in other news, going to arrange to test drive a couple of 3 hatches at the weekend. Anything specific I should be looking out for?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

Service rep said the random presses on the touch screen is due to a sticky command button on my console and not the screen. This was after I rejected about $900 in recommended maintenance (going to do it myself soon, break fluid flush, air filters cleaned, ATF replaced). Going to take apart the center console this weekend to clean out the soda that spilled making the button sticky and if it still happens take it back in again (they wanted $300 to clean/replace the button themselves).

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I had to do that too. I used an electronics-safe general purpose lubricant to put everything back together and I've never had any phantom button presses. My back button still gets stuck sometimes though because it looks like the previous owner tried to jam the blade of a screwdriver or something underneath it because it was stuck from a soda or coffee spill, so the little plastic bit is chewed up. But I really never use the back button anyways so it's not an issue.

Now, if only my touch screen worked...

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

Over lunch I popped the control console out and unplugged the control cable for the scroll wheel and buttons, the screen still registered ghost touches so I have an appointment Monday morning for them to test again. I bet they just stayed in the service bay and didn't take my car out into the sun/heat where it usually happens.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
FINALLY got the airbag recall done on the 6. Holy poo poo, after 9 canceled "we don't have them right now" appointments.

So the car's been clunking from the rear and I couldn't find the source. My friends and I tried to sort it out and we thought it was the rear struts but we couldn't reproduce the sound without driving it and then we couldn't pinpoint it. So I figured, it's in being worked on I may as well drop the $50 for the diagnostic. Dude called me up and said they were able to reproduce the noise on the test drive and when they got it up on the lift and started shaking things the rear sway bar pulled loose. It had sheared a bolt right off. So rather than try to fudge that back together myself I had them do it. Just a few more things to get the car up to snuff again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

FINALLY got the airbag recall done on the 6. Holy poo poo, after 9 canceled "we don't have them right now" appointments.

So the car's been clunking from the rear and I couldn't find the source. My friends and I tried to sort it out and we thought it was the rear struts but we couldn't reproduce the sound without driving it and then we couldn't pinpoint it. So I figured, it's in being worked on I may as well drop the $50 for the diagnostic. Dude called me up and said they were able to reproduce the noise on the test drive and when they got it up on the lift and started shaking things the rear sway bar pulled loose. It had sheared a bolt right off. So rather than try to fudge that back together myself I had them do it. Just a few more things to get the car up to snuff again.

If you had asked here I could have told you it's from the sway bar. :P Mazdas really love killing those for some reason.