Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

The Death Star IS a moon.

Pretty sure this is how JJ pitched Starkiller Base for TFA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm surprised Disney didn't jump all over that Han Solo Corellian trilogy since it has a superweapon with Centerpoint station or whatever it's called

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I won't rest until Disney brings Luuke into canon

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Even the Young Jedi Knight books would have made a better sequel trilogy and you even get to keep it in the family if you want

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
This franchise died after I uninstalled X-Wing vs TIE Fighter on my Pentium. That is my new canon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They should have adapted the Darksaber book where the Hutts cobbled together a small Death Star superlaser ship

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Jaina Solo was a badass and she hosed Jacen Kylo Kycen Rolo's poo poo allllll up when he turned into a douche.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blast Fantasto posted:

I won't rest until Disney brings Luuke into canon

Watch them introduce the emperor with a younger Luke clone called Luuke.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

galagazombie posted:

shows there's no Endor holocaust because whatever crazy sci-fi mumbo-jumbo reactor breach Wedge and Lando started disintegrated the thing into fine particulate much like the original.

Depositing that amount of fine particulate mass in the atmosphere is still going to cause a nuclear winter, and anything bigger than a meter or so (which is a lot of it) will rain down and hit the surface. Also those pink things with smoke trails, hurtling directly at the planet, are easily several kilometers in size. Compare that with the single impactor that offed the dinosaurs which is believed to have been around 10-15 km and not made of heavy metals.

They're dead af.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Mooey Cow posted:

Depositing that amount of fine particulate mass in the atmosphere is still going to cause a nuclear winter, and anything bigger than a meter or so (which is a lot of it) will rain down and hit the surface. Also those pink things with smoke trails, hurtling directly at the planet, are easily several kilometers in size. Compare that with the single impactor that offed the dinosaurs which is believed to have been around 10-15 km and not made of heavy metals.

They're dead af.

Aren't Star Wars ships powered by antimatter and thus the reactor exploding would literally cause all mass to cease to exist instead of causing a nuclear winter?

edit: So it's apparently "Hypermatter" Annihilator instead of Antimatter Annihilator so hell if I know how that works.

galagazombie fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 27, 2019

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
That would just shower that side of the planet in a ludicrous amount of gamma rays which would kill everything even more + set the forest on fire which would also cause a nuclear winter.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Endor Holocaust is just the earliest (?) example of aggrieved Star Wars fans turning their need for exhaustive detail against the franchise

it's literally a story about space wizards playing with magic technology; face value may be dumb but that's really all there is here

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Endor Holocaust is just the earliest (?) example of aggrieved Star Wars fans turning their need for exhaustive detail against the franchise

it's literally a story about space wizards playing with magic technology; face value may be dumb but that's really all there is here

While Endor Holocaust stuff is silly, it's not itself an example of fans needing exhaustive detail so much as fans recognizing that the end of RotJ drops a theme that had been carried through the previous films.

From the droids being sold into slavery, to Mos Eisley, the wretched hive of scum and villainy, to Han Solo's life and livelihood being endangered through his association with the rebellion, to Luke meeting with great warrior Yoda who's been reduced to living in a swamp, to Jabba's slave barge, there's a continual focus on the abject and on how the conflict destroys people. Then when you get to the rebellion teaming up with the teddy bears there's a sense of waiting for the other shoe to drop -- but then the film ends with a dance party.

I ain't gonna say there ain't a lot of dumb poo poo out there with aggrieved space wizard fans, but that particular thing is at least pointing to something legit.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Schwarzwald posted:

While Endor Holocaust stuff is silly, it's not itself an example of fans needing exhaustive detail so much as fans recognizing that the end of RotJ drops a theme that had been carried through the previous films.

From the droids being sold into slavery, to Mos Eisley, the wretched hive of scum and villainy, to Han Solo's life and livelihood being endangered through his association with the rebellion, to Luke meeting with great warrior Yoda who's been reduced to living in a swamp, to Jabba's slave barge, there's a continual focus on the abject and on how the conflict destroys people. Then when you get to the rebellion teaming up with the teddy bears there's a sense of waiting for the other shoe to drop -- but then the film ends with a dance party.

I ain't gonna say there ain't a lot of dumb poo poo out there with aggrieved space wizard fans, but that particular thing is at least pointing to something legit.

I think the simpler explanation is that the misery depicted is meant to be part of what reminds you that life with the Empire in control sucks, and they're implied to have broken the Empire's back at the end of RotJ, hence a dance party.

Yeah it's facile and reductive but it's a space wizard story for children

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

The laws of physics don’t exist in Star Wars, not does Moore’s Law.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

lmao

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Drawing the zipper on is what makes it 10/10

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

haha

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

They should have adapted the Darksaber book where the Hutts cobbled together a small Death Star superlaser ship

Didn’t that book end with them testing out the super laser and discovering the cheap labor and slaves they’d used to build it had installed the thing backwards, destroying the ship and killing everyone on board

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Cameo posted:

Didn’t that book end with them testing out the super laser and discovering the cheap labor and slaves they’d used to build it had installed the thing backwards, destroying the ship and killing everyone on board
Something like that

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lol, reminds me of that anime where the little kid in a space suit gets his head blown off. It owns.

Also the science being posted is dope. I'm so glad the Ewoks would have died with the destruction of the DS II.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Darth TNT posted:

Watch them introduce the emperor with a younger Luke clone called Luuke.

He also has a clone of himself named Sheeeve Paalpatine

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
shove pulpytine actually

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

lol, reminds me of that anime where the little kid in a space suit gets his head blown off. It owns.

space runaway ideon, maybe the most nihilistic thing tomino ever made

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Brother Entropy posted:

space runaway ideon, maybe the most nihilistic thing tomino ever made

Is that part just scratching the surface? I've admittedly only seen the gif and I think some goon rocked it as an avatar for a long rear end time.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

I too would like to see the exploding child.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is that part just scratching the surface? I've admittedly only seen the gif and I think some goon rocked it as an avatar for a long rear end time.

The series does feature the extinction of two human species, but I don't know if "nihilistic" is necessarily an appropriate description. It's apocalyptic, and everyone very much does die, but while it is the literal end of the world, it ain't actually the end of the world. Both human species redeem themselves and God effectively gives them a mulligan on the condition they try and not gently caress up next reincarnation.

It's a very strange show, in the style of the more psychedelic scifi stories, especially Arthur Clark.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Looks like some people ITT need to watch *GENOCYBER!
*You probably shouldn't watch Genocyber

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

The series does feature the extinction of two human species, but I don't know if "nihilistic" is necessarily an appropriate description. It's apocalyptic, and everyone very much does die, but while it is the literal end of the world, it ain't actually the end of the world. Both human species redeem themselves and God effectively gives them a mulligan on the condition they try and not gently caress up next reincarnation.

It's a very strange show, in the style of the more psychedelic scifi stories, especially Arthur Clark.

it's been a looooong time since i watched it, i forgot about the mulligan of it all so i was mostly just remembering 'and then the ide destroys the universe'

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I didn't mean to police your take or anything, it's just that the shows reputation of "the one where every dies," if anything, undersells just what a dang trip it is.

But yeah, little kid's head gets hella blown off.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
"Blown off" implies there was anything left of it...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
For a while now us Star Wars fans have been reading about hearing about what’s out in the unknown regions and “the beyond.” What that means has been kind of a mystery and part of the fun of the sequel trilogy era. Now today I have some pretty interesting rumors about what all of this actually means and what it might amount to if the rumors are correct. I should say that many of the things in this article have been corroborated by other tidbits in the past, both public and private. I think a lot of these disparate facts are coming together now.

The Sith Stormtroopers have been hidden away in the unknown regions. It is apparently hellish in those areas. The universe is “not entirely stable.” The area is dangerous and full of peril. Since Emperor Palpatine’s death the fleet has been dodging gravity wells and surviving in the wilderness of space in the unknown regions waiting to be found and to finish their mission.

This is why Kylo Ren needs the Wayfinder device, I’m told. The fleet is the key Kylo Ren needs to unlock Palpatine’s legacy. Kylo gets this device from an alien that looks like a spider with an infant’s face (check out Jedi Praxis’ fantastic report which I can 100% validate) that acts as an oracle. This is sort of a Pandora’s Box for Kylo it seems as he thinks he’s getting himself something powerful that answers to him but Palpatine is not so willing to share his toys with anyone. Palpatine’s contingency plans weren’t to make sure Darth Vader’s grandson received his inheritance.

The red Sith Stormtroopers which belong to Palpatine are hidden away inside a massive fleet, probably as a final act so upon his resurrection he could dominate the universe once more. However, the Death Star II wasn’t Palpatine’s last project. These Star Destroyers are equipped with “planet destroying weapons like the one on the Death Star itself.” Our buddy at the fantastic Bespin Bulletin is also releasing some images of the Sith Jump Troopers that fly in the Red TIE Fighters that belong to this fleet. These guys eject from their red TIE Fighters and rocket out and continue fighting from what I’ve heard and it all links up to survival in the unknown regions. These guys are not cowards with armor like our heroes are used to dealing with. I was told a few shots from The Clone Wars regarding Mando rocket pack stuff are pretty much reworked for this some of this movie and it is supposedly fantastic. Head over to Bespin Bulletin for his sketches of the troopers when they post in a short while. The questions I’m left with are the designs and how the fleet the survived and procreated 30 plus years later. Are they clones? How did they get their modern amor that matches The First Order’s designs? It seems like all of this fleet business is how we get Palpatine back. My assumption is Kylo doesn’t appreciate the fleet belonging to him but its also how he learns he’s part of a bigger plot to find Emperor Palpatine. My assumption is Snoke told Kylo about the fleet and withheld the reason they were looking for it or didn’t know either. Is Allegiant General Pryde a First Order guy or is he a Sith Fleet guy? When The Sith Fleet returns and unlocks a lot of secrets about Palpatine, is this also how we learn Rey’s connection to Palpatine’s plans?

Hopefully more is revealed soon. Keep checking back for updates and we’ll make sure to include Bespin Bulletin’s posts when they release their Jump Trooper art! Keep checking back for more updates! We have a lot of really cool information lined up and as soon as we can verify it we’ll share it!

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
If kylo dies in this movie I’m 100% not watching it. (Didn’t read spoiler)
Seems like a likely move for them to do though

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Wild Horses posted:

It'll be ambiguous. He'll show up in Episode 10 in 15 years time

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

he'll die redeeming himself by saving rey/killing palpatine, sycophants and the movie itself will pat the movie on its back for the parallels with vader doing the same

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

quote:

I wouldn't want to be the poor bastard plumber who has to walk all the way around to the starboard bow after fixing a toilet at the port bow.

Also picturing Dave Lister on the hull somewhere with a bucket of red paint and a long-rear end day ahead of him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Those are just some hollowed-out super star destroyers

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Pretty sure that was rejected concept art for TFA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009