Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like that Shigaraki seems to have a similar view on his past as Toga. As in he kinda looks at like "I'm not a result of some tragedy this is just who I am". It's obviously not quite the case but I like how stuff like this helps explain why the League get along despite being so different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like that Shigaraki seems to have a similar view on his past as Toga. As in he kinda looks at like "I'm not a result of some tragedy this is just who I am". It's obviously not quite the case but I like how stuff like this helps explain why the League get along despite being so different.

In fact, there’s a connection with Twice too. Shigiraki’s trauma was making him hold back with his powers, even if it’s a difference between consciously holding back like Twice and subconsciously doing so.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
AFO sending mini-shiggy out has a big smile on his face that reminds me of All-Might.
Cinematic paralells or maybe just the art style is both of them being western-style, lantern-jawed types, I dunno. Thought it was interesting.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just noticed, or rather just realized the significance, that Shigaraki's outfit this chapter towards the end of his flashback is exactly the same as how he dressed at the start of the series. Like, exactly, except for the particular shoes changing. The same plain black clothes, the same hairstyle, the same hands gripping him. It serves as a marker of when he really "became" Shigaraki, sure, but it also shows how he didn't change since then. From the end of the flashback this chapter until the start of the series and really even a good way into it, Shigaraki stopped growing; he got bigger, sure, but he didn't grow up. All For One deliberately prevented that; he further encouraged Shiggy's worst impulses and kept his mind and body sharp (remember that even at USJ Shiggy was both lightning fast and clever enough to analyze Aizawa's quirk and figure out its weakness), but he didn't let him grow as a person. Heck, the ideals he was imparting on Shiggy made him more childish. This didn't change until after AFO left Shigaraki's life, after Kamino; this was marked by him growing a lot more as a character and a person, since AFO wasn't around to stifle that, and also by his attire finally changing, after over a decade of the exact same clothes.

On a tangent related to what people said in the two posts before the last one, it's kind of funny to me that, while all the stuff AFO's done to Shiggy made him very evil and destructive, the things that have made him a good leader to the League and what actually made them like him and be loyal to him are the vestiges of Tenko Shimura's idealism and heroic outlook, with how he's given all the outcasts and misfits and fuckups a place to belong, along with him actually starting to value them as more than just pawns, which is the opposite of what AFO taught him. It's his seemingly-genuine attachment to and understanding of his allies that really marked him becoming the leader of the League, and while it's made him a more effective villain it doesn't really fit what AFO tried to impart on him. This feels like it might be significant eventually, and definitely marks a big difference between him and AFO, who seemed to see basically everyone as tools to manipulate or enemies to destroy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I dunno about AfO's actual outlook on people, but he was incredibly charismatic to the point where people devoted themselves to him body and soul even without his direct intervention.

Maybe it's kind of a parallel between All Might and AfO, in a way - just as All Might sucks at teaching Deku how to use One For All because it came naturally to All Might, AfO might have sucked at teaching Shigaraki how to lead because it came naturally to AfO.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't think AFO genuinely wants a successor to his status as lord of evil regardless of what he says so much as he wanted a living bomb that would enact revenge on society and torment various OFA users. If Shigaraki was good at leading and did damage that way great, but if he just caused a bunch of random mayhem and killed a poo poo ton of people before disappearing and repeating that process that's fine too. All of his various flunkies are dispensable tools so Shigaraki's should be too (and AFO specifically referred to them as such).

I'm curious if the Doctor is the one person he actually had a personal relationship with or if he was just another pawn.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Radish posted:

I don't think AFO genuinely wants a successor to his status as lord of evil regardless of what he says so much as he wanted a living bomb that would enact revenge on society and torment various OFA users.

that might have been his original intent, but after winding up on life support he probably had to shift priorities

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

that might have been his original intent, but after winding up on life support he probably had to shift priorities

Yeah that's true. He's still alive in super max and will probably get out so I'm sure we'll get some more from him.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

NEW VIGILANTES!

Goodbye Captain Celebrity, I'm glad you managed to defeat all those death flags. :unsmith:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Aww, his wife really does care. :kimchi:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You can't lie to me, Makoto! That's no college, that's Avengers Tower!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, I'm assuming that Shigaraki was originally just a side project/dalliance kind of thing for AfO, but when All Might smashed his face and his empire the project became much more of a focus.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You can't lie to me, Makoto! That's no college, that's Avengers Tower!

I thought the Yakuza guys were the Avengers? That's clearly a different organization entirely

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

That's clearly an M on the tower. Obviously it belongs to the Mavengers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Did the meninists rebrand again?

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Vengarr posted:

Shigaraki did nothing wrong

"I feel like no matter what i do i'll be forgiven"

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wellwinds posted:

"I feel like no matter what i do i'll be forgiven"

The irony of that line is that his arrangement of the hands he wears reflect more of a subconscious fear of or desire to be punished or restrained. You have the father's hand over his face in a manner like what actually happened to him, his mother's hands around his neck, and his sister's and grandparents' hands gripping and pulling on his arms. And, of course, him thinking about how sick and terrible he feels as well. There are two conflicting forces on him, and I think the one you spoilered there is AFO's influence on him. Which fits with AFO's own dialog during that scene about how Shigaraki is still anxious and holding back subconsciously.

Also, something I noticed, Shigaraki destroying one of his father's hands precedes both of his major developments this chapter, first when he admits to wanting to kill the guys who beat him up, and second at the end as he seemingly abandons his inhibitions or something.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Shiggy's finally removing his training wheels hands and can now stand on his own

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1155643432959823872

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
I for one cant wait to see best hero, Alien Queen breakdancing again.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I can't believe I ended up liking Captain Celebrity as much as I did.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Raposa posted:

I for one cant wait to see best hero, Alien Queen breakdancing again.

Speaking of Alien Queen.

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1155746610946560002

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Horikoshi's exercising with Pokemon Go and wanted to make a cute drawing out of it with best girl.

I hope both of them get the Pokemon they want.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Horikoshi's exercising with Pokemon Go and wanted to make a cute drawing out of it with best girl.

I hope both of them get the Pokemon they want.
Hori's gonna be so bummed about Sword/Shield's limitations.

I bet GameFreak's another subsidary of Re-Destro's.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

me, starving for mina content: thank u hori

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Oda is playing with Hori which answers the question as to what Oda is doing in response to his doctor telling him to take better care of himself or die.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grouchio posted:

Doubt it. Not that many people care that not all pokemon are going to be in it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

me, starving for mina content: thank u hori

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Grouchio posted:

I bet GameFreak's another subsidary of Re-Destro's.

I didn't really think they could keep including 100 more Pokemon each generation forever and that something would have to give eventually, so I don't really mind it. In the short-run, hopefully each generation will have more sequel games or games with graphics at the same level across which Pokemon can be traded, so that eventually each generation has access to all the Pokemon between them all.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
From what I heard, GameFreak are bad programmers, and they should feel bad, and the entire Pokemon game codebase needs a cleansheet rewrite by someone who knows what the gently caress they're doing. In the 3DS version:

https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/872789782224613376

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 29, 2019

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

From what I heard, GameFreak are bad programmers, and they should feel bad, and the entire Pokemon game codebase needs a cleansheet rewrite by someone who knows what the gently caress they're doing. In the 3DS version:

https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/872789782224613376

In my first and hopefully last post about Pokemon in this thread...

Game Freak is simultaneously in an unenviable position but also legitimately has no excuse. Game Freak itself is a very small development studio, it's only around 140 people, there's only about 70 working on Sword and Shield. As well, they have the inevitable deadlines of Anime, Card Games and other promotional material that really doesn't give them the option of delaying the game, having more time just isn't an option.

All of this is true, however, The Pokemon Company has made around 90 billion dollars. Even if you believe that the models they made that transferred to the Switch just fine for Let's Go, suddenly don't work anymore for SwSh, even if you buy that the reason they can't have more pokemon is for "Higher Quality animation."

You could hire a loving 3D artist and animator for each individual pokemon and it wouldn't even break the bank. You have more money than God. And when you're rich as gently caress, you don't get to go "Well there's no way we could." Because yes, you totally could, it would just involve spending money.

So there's really only two options.

1. Game Freak is incompetent and has coasted on being a handheld developer for so long, and now that they're making a console Pokemon Game, they think they are lost, and for some reason there's no money towards outsourcing or bringing in new talent or anything?

2. Game Freak is lazy and stingy, and doesn't want to put in the effort or pay to get a reasonable team size to put in the effort.

and all of this, all of this would have been forgivable if they didn't say the stupidest loving thing anyone has ever heard. "There'll never be another game with all the pokemon in it."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Please don't bring the Pokemon complaints that made the Pokemon thread loving unreadable into this one.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Please move complaints about Game Freak to the Pokémon thread, that poo poo’s quarantined there for a reason

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Anyways, Ashido is really cool. She should get more screentime.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Rhonne posted:

Anyways, Ashido is really cool. She should get more screentime.

:emptyquote:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The thing about Hori's sketches is that if you find a video of him working and have any artist watch it they'll usually turn to dust because the way he draws almost every single line is final and he uses a nib pen. He probably cracked that sketch out in like 5-10 minutes tops.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Fabricated posted:

The thing about Hori's sketches is that if you find a video of him working and have any artist watch it they'll usually turn to dust because the way he draws almost every single line is final and he uses a nib pen. He probably cracked that sketch out in like 5-10 minutes tops.

Lord almighty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_FYbfPxRe4

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
He's certainly close on the heels of The Murata.

Who would do the same thing, only he'd finish the entire sketch, erase it all, then re-do it again even better 2-3 more times in the same span of time.

We need to keep them safe.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

EimiYoshikawa posted:

He's certainly close on the heels of The Murata.

Who would do the same thing, only he'd finish the entire sketch, erase it all, then re-do it again even better 2-3 more times in the same span of time.

We need to keep them safe.
Murata soul-crushes artists on stream doing just that. It's amazing how he draws something, goes "eh", erases it, then does something 10 times better.

It's probably why OPM takes so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

reminds me of Boulet's old draw-streams from back in the day