Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
CAT

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/121/page/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Furuhashi remains the cutest and most dangerous girl.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i kind of respect how they didn't even try to draw a realistic cat. just sketch a stuffed animal, whatever.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Ah... We're in that period of We Never Learn again.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mulderman posted:

Ah... We're in that period of We Never Learn again.
The less infuriating than Nisekoi period?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Spy Family is out,

What the gently caress is with those garbage name changes

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dexo posted:

Spy Family is out,

Japanese companies love forcing translations to use horrible spellings for western names.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
ah, agent twilight's cover has deepened

EDIT: VVV ominous

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 28, 2019

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Grouchio posted:

The less infuriating than Nisekoi period?

The period between sensei chapters.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
When i saw MangaPlus was listing their Spy Family chapters on MangaDex (each 'chapter' is just a link to the official translation but still i can conveniently track my progress again!) i was all :woop:

Then i saw the name changes

One step forward, one step back

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dexo posted:

Spy Family is out,

So I'm thinking Yori is either counter intelligence or some sort of super scientist like Q. If the former we get cool spy x spy action. If the latter we get cool uncle Yori trying to spy with weird gadgets. In either case, I expect him to notice that his sister has been legally married for a year and that shouldn't mesh with his phone talks with her.

Re: names. Loid is technically a correct spelling of that name. Yor I'd have to look into. Either way i've seen Anya'd name written with an 'I' do I'm not sure if it was the right call to go with the Japanese spellings since these names are either English or Russian. :shrug: still a good chapter and it's good Yor is getting more attention as she's been less a focus to the plot overall.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The name changes we're forced on us, yeah. I'm not happy about it either.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You still missed one 'Yoru', too, it's somewhere right about when she starts reminiscing about her brother

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oops. Well, we got the order after the chapter was already complete and ready to go, so I guess that makes sense.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Oops. Well, we got the order after the chapter was already complete and ready to go, so I guess that makes sense.

In the newspaper clipping (or maybe it's a. ID paper?) it says Loid Forger (which is a great last name for a spy), but he later refers to himself as Folger. It's page 9 I think.

Interesting chapter though, I'm really happy that this wasn't a funny chapter and it focuses more on the characters instead.
I look forward to learning more about Yor(u), I love how she's slipping into being a mother. And I love her way of solving math problems :D

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

In the newspaper clipping (or maybe it's a. ID paper?) it says Loid Forger (which is a great last name for a spy), but he later refers to himself as Folger. It's page 9 I think.

Okay, here's how it went down.

In the first chapter, I asked about the romanizations of every name, including ロイド・フォルジャー. I got no response, although to be fair I don't know if my question ever actually reached the mangaka. Anyway, without a response, I just defaulted to the closest thing to a real name I could find. Thus, Lloyd Folger. In the next chapter, I chose Yoru for ヨル because it means "night" in Japanese and I figured it was supposed to be a pun next to Twilight. Night and Twilight.

In chapter 3 though, we see their marriage certificate in English, where it says Loid Forger and Yor Briar. I, uh, decided to completely ignore this since Loid and Yor seemed like pretty dumb names to me in English (subjective, of course), and Loid in particular just seemed like a misspelling. I mean, that's pretty normal, it's not like most Japanese authors are perfect at English. There have been a number of other "slightly off" names since then too, like a minor villain named "Hurry" instead of "Harry." I asked the image editor to fix those names whenever they came up.

And for this latest chapter, right before we published it, we got a last minute request to use Loid and Yor. No other names were mentioned, including Forger (which admittedly is a pretty hilarious spy name). But the image editor seems to have just completely reverted the change to Loid Forger, leaving his name as it was in the Japanese raws.

Anyway, this latest chapter also had Anya's door plate listed as Ania, so I guess it seems likely that we'll be going with that in the future.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Okay, here's how it went down.
[snip]
I hope I'm not the only one who finds this very interesting. :allears: I always love reading translation thought processes like these. Thanks.

It seems so weird to me for someone to get hung up on Lloyd (as you said a perfectly English name) and Loid, especially as they sound exactly the same to me and the latter (as you also said) seems like a misspelling. :shrug:

Regardless I look forward to the adventures of the Forger family, where everyone is exactly who they appear to be. :downs:

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

Who even makes the decision to revert to these idiotic names? The author? The publisher? loving why?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Maybe it'll be an important plot point at some point :tinfoil:

I love the idea of the family name being Forger though

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kill All Humans posted:

Who even makes the decision to revert to these idiotic names? The author? The publisher? loving why?

I was told that this was a request from the author.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Clarste posted:

I was told that this was a request from the author.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
never forget Quwrof Wrlccywrlir, the most sinister welshman in history

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Welsh lack of vowels will never not be funny to me.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

never forget Quwrof Wrlccywrlir, the most sinister welshman in history

HxH had the dumbest spellings for names.

I'm glad Oda is way better about names than most.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like when Oda was introducing the Supernovas and added English spellings for each one. gently caress yeah Oda, thanks for making sure Killer wasn't spelled Qylreieurerere or whatever.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Then again, Shilliew and Levely.

If an author specifically asks for their stupid spelling then it can't be helped but I appreciate Paul and Viz sticking with the better spellings even when the source material puts the weird ones in big block letters.

Zolo is unfortunate but I can deal with that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
zorro is public domain, but it's not like a century of legal precedent is going to stop assholes from being litigious. with just a quick search, i easily found several frivolous lawsuits by people trying to claim ownership of zorro. so, zolo is inescapable.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Attack on Titan isn't even a good translation of that series' title

whatever the author wants goes

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Blockhouse posted:

To be fair, no one could have predicted that the title literally referred to the name of Eren's Titan being named the Attack Titan either. Attack Titan or Attacking Titan would have been a bad name anyways, even if it would have matched the title drop in-series.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 30, 2019

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

zorro is public domain, but it's not like a century of legal precedent is going to stop assholes from being litigious. with just a quick search, i easily found several frivolous lawsuits by people trying to claim ownership of zorro. so, zolo is inescapable.

He's literally called Zorro in the German translation, and has been for 15+ years, so where there's a will, there's a way :shrug:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Arystar Krory

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Please, his name is Eisidisi.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I can only think of

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:five:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Blockhouse posted:

Isn't it basically the Titan who never stops moving forward? Not a literal translation, but the idea behind it. He is always at the front lines always pushing forward before everyone else.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Elfface posted:

I can only think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx-F6VnLezM

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
New chainsawman https://readms.net/r/csm/32/6082/1

is makima a devil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

There is definitely something shady going on with her. Nobody is allowed to see her use her power which she used without a devil appearing, she was fine with being shot, seemed to know about the ambush, and displays that disconnection with humanity that is attributed to devils. Maybe some kind of a devilman with an anti-devil agenda?

I've been pretty interested by Chainsawman so I went and checked out Fire Punch recently and oof it is brutal. I can see the roots of Chainsawman in there.