Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

This is the video that keeps popping up in my recs, btw. Still haven't clicked it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7HhE2p-8O0
Lol @ 8:30 where he reaches peak jackleg by using a level to beat apart a door. That is not what that former precision instrument is for. That’s a lot of loving work for some beat up, glue covered, odd sized 1/4 Luan that’s like $15/sheet. Apparently he makes guitars out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I thought you guys were joking about reclaiming hollow core doors

:sigh:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Lol @ 8:30 where he reaches peak jackleg by using a level to beat apart a door. That is not what that former precision instrument is for. That’s a lot of loving work for some beat up, glue covered, odd sized 1/4 Luan that’s like $15/sheet. Apparently he makes guitars out of them.

lol. :golf:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Haha he also cuts them into slices and builds them up and puts them through his planer to make the sides. And uses a festool to sand. This guy is memeing on the thread

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

As a highly stingy poor, I'm all about reuse and so on, but stuff like cheap hollow core doors are junk material through and through.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Stultus Maximus posted:

As a highly stingy poor, I'm all about reuse and so on, but stuff like cheap hollow core doors are junk material through and through.

Meh, it doesn't scratch any itch of mine but I watched the video where he made one, it's turned out alright. It's cool to reuse poo poo.

Also that level is a $20 lovely old craftsman so its nice and light but I feel like a big pry bar would have done it a litttttle better

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
The DW734 benchtop planer is $399 on Lowe's. No idea if that's a deal, but if anyone is looking.

Is this the "lunchbox planer" a lot of people like?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Building a workbench is an interesting experience, because the further it gets the more of it you can use to build the remainder.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MetaJew posted:

The DW734 benchtop planer is $399 on Lowe's. No idea if that's a deal, but if anyone is looking.

I think the 735 is the better / more expensive one.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

MetaJew posted:

I have the DW 734 and it’s fine. I used to use a pretty cheap ryobi and it was also fine-I don’t think it’s hard to build a decent lunchbox planer, so even the cheap ones seem decent. The DW735 is huge by comparison to the smaller lunchbox kind of planers. It really is a good planer and a step up, but also $$ and it weighs close to 100#, so technically portable, but not something you want to move around twice a day.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Jaded Burnout posted:

This is the video that keeps popping up in my recs, btw. Still haven't clicked it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7HhE2p-8O0

Skipped ahead to the point where the guy is using a 4 foot spirit level as a sledge hammer. I cringed so hard.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have the DW 734 and it’s fine. I used to use a pretty cheap ryobi and it was also fine-I don’t think it’s hard to build a decent lunchbox planer, so even the cheap ones seem decent. The DW735 is huge by comparison to the smaller lunchbox kind of planers. It really is a good planer and a step up, but also $$ and it weighs close to 100#, so technically portable, but not something you want to move around twice a day.

How often do you use it? I'm trying to convince myself I dont need one right now

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

How often do you use it? I'm trying to convince myself I dont need one right now
I don’t use the 734 very much anymore because the big 24” planer is much better and faster in every way (faster feed rate, greater depth of cut, faster adjustment etc) so it’s my backup/on the job machine. There was a while when it was my only planer and it did fine. Either way I probably use the planer most days-only the jointer gets used more often.

If the question is more generally “should I get a planer” then I would say definitely yes, but it depends what you want to do. Anything that looks at all like a cabinet or most furniture they’re very useful, but you can always get presurfaced lumber. A planer is definitely most useful in combination with a jointer to face joint stuff, but there’s lots of ways to straighten boards without one. I know of several cabinet shops that don’t have a jointer or a planer and just buy everything S3S 13/16” thick and go to town with the table saw. If you want to cut out salad hands on the bandsaw or carve faces in logs or other fun stuff that doesn’t need two flat, parallel surfaces then you don’t need one at all.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Honestly a Planer and Jointer are the type of tools that pay for their selves when you are able to buy rough cut and face them yourself. That and being able to joint two boards and then plane them down is a staple when building large pieces.

After all my searching for a bandsaw I ended up just buying a new one on sale. So far I am happy with it, the fence is sturdy, comes with a resaw bar and it is heavy as hell even with the open steel frame.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

hell yeah 10-324 buddy!

I'm still really happy with my saw after a couple months of light use. I went ahead and ordered the mobile base kit for it, haven't had a chance to install it yet.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Wish I had the space for a bigger and nicer bandsaw :negative:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Wish I had the space for any bandsaw....

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Whipped up another batch of wand stands for a work charity auction, starting price at $15 each. Top two are mahogany, bottom is cherry. Top one is 12" long, other two are 10"

Super simple to make, and everyone seems to go nuts for them.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Super Waffle posted:

Whipped up another batch of wand stands for a work charity auction, starting price at $15 each. Top two are mahogany, bottom is cherry. Top one is 12" long, other two are 10"

Super simple to make, and everyone seems to go nuts for them.

Those are nice and gives me an idea. Fractal burns filled with glow in the dark resin :science:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

JEEVES420 posted:

Those are nice and gives me an idea. Fractal burns filled with glow in the dark resin :science:

On the wand as well, presumably?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Been working on a filterbox for the cyclone, finally moving forward after stalling a good long while. The smaller hole is 6", I have two filters to mount and the 6" hole will connect to a blast gate that goes to a pipe that goes outdoors. So I can choose to recirculate the air or blast it outside. Or maybe a bit of both.

And yes that's one lovely quality threaded rod I got there, didn't see how bent it was until I got it home, oh well it will still work.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
That's usually an easy fix if the threads aren't seriously deformed; most unwanted bends in new stock are gonna be from a couple discrete impacts that create a couple discrete bends, identify and correct those and you get straight rod.
You can clamp the rod between some softwood offcuts in a vise to straighten it a bit without marring the threads. If that doesn't do it you can roll the rod along a flat board and strike the high points with hard, sure blows from a rubber mallet, or wail on the aforementioned offcut sandwich with the mallet. If a thread gets fucky but isn't badly-deformed or knocked flat you can often restore it with a hard steel nut threaded down and through the damaged area with the aid of a wrench and some oil.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Woodworking Megathread: bent and fucky

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

Woodworking Megathread: bent and fucky

Woodworking Megathread: bent and fucky? Hit it with a mallet

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
approve of the title change but only b/c it's part of my long con to subvert and weaken the carpenter clique on SA in favour of the Ductile Materials Alliance

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

good luck with that, long drawn out posts are your only chance

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

good luck with that, long drawn out posts are your only chance

Hot rolled posts would also suffice.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
:negative:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ambrose Burnside posted:

approve of the title change but only b/c it's part of my long con to subvert and weaken the carpenter clique on SA in favour of the Ductile Materials Alliance
We can agree a truce to pull metal splinters out of your cold, greasy, Dykem-stained fingers if you’ll help pull wood splinters out of our dusty, glue covered hands. You’d think you’re get the better deal because we’ve only got 7 fingers between us, but we’re going to ask to borrow your calipers.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Splinter order on the pain scale goes:

Wood
Metal
Carbon Fiber
Glass

And I love wood glue on the hands, its like peeling skin without the pain :downs:

edit: but CA glue on the hand sucks. I got a 3rd degree burn on the tip of my finger when a paper towel soaked piece got stuck to my finger. All I could do is run around the shop in pain, the glue stuck it to my hand so I couldn't pull it away and the exothermic reaction burned me.

JEEVES420 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 30, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Where does fibreglass fit in?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Where does fibreglass fit in?

right between carbon fiber and glass

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JEEVES420 posted:

edit: but CA glue on the hand sucks. I got a 3rd degree burn on the tip of my finger when a paper towel soaked piece got stuck to my finger. All I could do is run around the shop in pain, the glue stuck it to my hand so I couldn't pull it away and the exothermic reaction burned me.

CA glue was originally invented for wound closure on the battlefield, it doesn't burn your skin... especially not to a blackened crisp, as with a 3rd degree burn. Is part of this story missing?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Try putting a drop or two of CA glue on a paper towel and report back.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I guess the appropriate action in that situation is to stick the finger in cold water? It won't stop the reaction but should hopefully suck away heat quickly.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK I looked it up.
ah it's generally only very mildly exothermic but thin glue on a fiber matrix accelerates curing so all the heat comes out at once

neat, I didn't know that!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Leperflesh posted:

CA glue was originally invented for wound closure on the battlefield, it doesn't burn your skin... especially not to a blackened crisp, as with a 3rd degree burn. Is part of this story missing?

CA glue exothermically reacts to a number of fibrous materials, so the story tracks. The glue wasn't burning the finger, the heat generated from the glue mixing with the towel burned the finger.

efb

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Leperflesh posted:

I think it’s because when CA glue gets on fabric it cures incredibly fast because of the huge surface area with all the tiny little fibers involved and generates a lot of heat. I’ve gotten plenty of CA glue on my fingers (it’s super weird feeling when it gets under your fingernail and dries there) and not gotten burned, but I have definitely experienced what Jeeves is talking about too. It happens very very fast, and there isn’t much time to do anything about it.

Efb too

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 30, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well good bye another hundred bucks, bought my first router

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Yup, the Paper towel and ultra fine CA glue will drat near spontaneously combust. I use it a lot in rings, pens, and other small turnings. It really weird when you spill ultra thin all over your fingernail. That stuff seeps down into all around the nail making it feel like your fingertip just turned to stone or something.

Now super gluing my eyes shut really sucked but thats a different story.