Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

For a while now us Star Wars fans have been reading about hearing about what’s out in the unknown regions and “the beyond.”

This is "the beyond" speaking. I'm the man who's taken away your victims and thus destroyed your world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Why are you guys using spoiler tags in the spoiler thread?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Robot Style posted:

Everyone knows the Endor holocaust is a hoax. The Death Star debris was sucked into a nearby wormhole and spit out harmlessly in the oceans of Mon Calamari, where a three eyed mutant impostor claiming to be Palpatine's son (Palpatine's actual three-eyed mutant son was frozen imprisoned in Kessel at the time) used whale poaching as a cover to retrieve the glove of Darth Vader from the depths in a bid to be crowned the new Emperor.

Come on sheeple, open your eyes.

i read that book and thought it was the coolest thing as a kid

it's not

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Hodgepodge posted:

Technically, we're discussing a moon of Endor. The planet Endor and its gravity would determine the fate of the remains of the Death Star.

This is incorrect. The Death star was orbiting the forest moon, so it was dominated by its gravity, not the gas giant planet

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
But is it the forest moon of Endor, or the forest moon of Endor?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

is that a loving eye flying through the air

holy poo poo :hmbol:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Preston Waters posted:

is that a loving eye flying through the air

holy poo poo :hmbol:

It is, funnily enough

(Also, if a Tumblr url ends with "540" it can be enlarged via changing it to "1280" so you can see all the lovely details a little better

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Vinylshadow posted:

It is, funnily enough

(Also, if a Tumblr url ends with "540" it can be enlarged via changing it to "1280" so you can see all the lovely details a little better

wait is this actually real

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

kidkissinger posted:

wait is this actually real

Done by Joe Johnston, from The Making of Return of the Jedi by J.W. Rinzler

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Vinylshadow posted:

Done by Joe Johnston, from The Making of Return of the Jedi by J.W. Rinzler

Designer of the X-wing and director of Jumanji.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
i guarantee you this won't have any stupid possession subplot or any of that poo poo in it

because that's quite frankly too stupid even for JJ Abrams

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

This is probably the coolest new ship, even if is just the two ships from the opening of TPM loving inside a star destroyer

Also lol at casting Matt Smith as a knight, that dude has been playing old and frail since his mid-twenties

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Why would Palpatine leave an entire fleet and an army of "Sith Troopers" stored in mothballs throughout the entire Civil war rather than, you know, use them to end the war?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

General Dog posted:

Why would Palpatine leave an entire fleet and an army of "Sith Troopers" stored in mothballs throughout the entire Civil war rather than, you know, use them to end the war?

Hubris? He thought the Imperial Navy would be enough. The problem with wiping out the Rebels was always finding them. Hence luring out into the open with the Death Star II. He brought them out of hiding, and then planned on using the Imperial Navy to wipe them out, assuming that would be enough.

He was wrong.

But it's not like bringing the army of Sith Troopers out of the Unknown Regions would have helped. Numbers were never his problem.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

General Dog posted:

Maybe they weren't ready

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
The plot, if real, is on the same level as Iron Sky (2012).
Nazis on the moon have come for your rear end

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats a real dumb plot that could have used maybe one or two movie to satisfyingly set up but sadly Disney only greenlit a single film instead of a new trilogy

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

General Dog posted:

He probably foresaw the fall of the Empire and sent his best minds into the farthest depths of the galaxy to reduce the inetivable dark ages to an acceptable minimum.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I will defer to my talking point which I made immediately after seeing The Last Jedi...

This should have been expanded into a quadrilogy, so that we can have an epic second two films that focus on the characters who have only just been fleshed out.

There should literally be an Episode IX and X wrapping up the whole Rey vs Kylo thing. No, it should not be Episode IX part 1, and Episode IX part 2.

It should be IX and X. gently caress what came before. That was the whole point of Rian Johnson's movie. Forget the past -- make an epic conclusion for these new characters. One that will be worthy of watching during repeat viewings. All the traditionalists can gently caress off. Just do what is necessary for the story and for the franchise.

BUT NOPE -- JJ ABRAMS HIRED TO DIRECT EPISODE IX -- RUMORS OF REALLY GOOD CHARACTERS BEING POSSESSED & RUINED BY OLD WASHED-UP FAN FAVORITES ARE A DIME A DOZEN

SAVE US, LUCAS. USE YOUR MICROPENII MAGIC. SAVE US.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They’ve barely established anything about the new characters after two films and you want two more?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Rather than making four movies they could have, you know, established what the hell the central conflict is supposed to be over the course of the first two movies.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I want Phasma in a sitcom.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

I want Phasma in a sitcom.
She would be perfect since she just kind of wanders into the story and then falls to her ‘death’ in a ridiculous way

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Oh my god, they killed Phasma!

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Gwendoline Christie sports both a wide emotional range and a physical prowess that makes her stand out among actresses.

I have no idea why she was cast in that role.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Payndz posted:

Oh my god, they killed Phasma!

You nerf herders!!!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Gwendoline Christie sports both a wide emotional range and a physical prowess that makes her stand out among actresses.

They really did her dirty. Casting someone as good as her for a boba fett role (looks cool, gets owned) is a drat shame.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Actually...clowning on the fancy armored "badass" before they do anything is extremely cool and good.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Everyone Loves Phasma

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

more than anything else phasma feels like the biggest instance of design-by-committee decision making in disney star wars

she's this neat easy to execute idea of a character with a nerd-popular actress but once it's down to the people in charge of trying to cobble the various ideas into coherent stories it turns out no one's got any interest in doing jack poo poo with her

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bring Gwendoline Christie back as a completely unrelated character imo

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
my desperate hope has been for phasma to come back in the very last scene rebuilt in a life support suit like Vader but chromed out and then she murders the entire cast one by one like the ending to Rogue One

force is just a superpower now anyway, Phasma can just super learn it and then just gets to be the new vader after being the midboss last two movies, the end.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Phasma is way worse than Fett even. Boba Fett gets to say and do some cool poo poo in Empire before he gets totally owned.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

Phasma is way worse than Fett even. Boba Fett gets to say and do some cool poo poo in Empire before he gets totally owned.
Oh easily. Plus he serves a plot purpose in ESB/ROTJ whereas Phasma could easily have been written out of TFA and TLJ without a problem.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Same reason they cast Max von Sydow in his role.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh easily. Plus he serves a plot purpose in ESB/ROTJ whereas Phasma could easily have been written out of TFA and TLJ without a problem.

That sums up the ST as a whole really. Boba Fett was a character who had a necessary role in the story (however small and exaggerated by fans) and he just happened to look cool doing it. Phasma meanwhile was not part of the story and was not necessary, but was inserted into it because her design was good for merch. Things in the ST just "are" without being part of a greater whole. The First Order changes what it is depending on the scene, Finn is a coward again less than an hour after he became courageous.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Boba Fett:
ESB:
Shows up silently and gets singled out by Darth Vader regarding disintegrations.
Tracks The Falcon in the trash in his really weird space ship.
Stands up to Vader to protect his prize.
Surprises Luke with several shots to force him in a different direction.
Escapes with Han ice cube with the rest shooting at his weird space ship.

ROTJ:
Stands around menacingly in the background.
Carges at Luke, but is driven off after he chops off the barrel to his gun.
Tries to snipe Luke, but his jetpak is accidentally hit by blind Han causing him to fall in a hole.
Is so badass, he causes the hole to burp.

Phasma:
TFA:
Tells Finn to go get rebrainwashed, which he doesn't do.
Gets captured and is forced to unlock some doors.
Gets thrown in the trash.

TLJ:
Gets shot, but shots are deflected by her shiny armor.
Engages Finn with a spear and beats him easily.
Falls down a hole glaring at Finn from behind a broken helmet.

As galagazombie point out, she has no importance to the story. The unlocking of the doors could've been anyone, especially since they take care of her off screen.
But even if you don't have importance to the storyline you can still be awesome and memorable. Most people remember the Traitor Storm trooper despite having no significance.
People latched onto Wedge for surviving 3 movie climaxes while not being important. (and was later expanded)
The problem with Phasma is that all her feats are backloaded in TLJ. She desperately needed a feat in TFA and should have been the Traitor! Storm trooper. Especially in light of her reflective armor which would've allowed her to survive Chewies bowcaster.
As it is, she's just a shiny storm trooper who falls down holes a lot.
I really wonder how Phasma toys performed in the stores as a geeky yet cynical adult she didn't do it for me at least and is just a joke character.

I will miss her in the next movie, I was really expecting her to show up again only to fall into a hole a third time. :unsmith: Third times the charm and all.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Darth TNT posted:

ROTJ:
Carges at Luke, but is driven off after he chops off the barrel to his gun.
Tries to snipe Luke, but his jetpak is accidentally hit by blind Han causing him to fall in a hole.
Is so badass, he causes the hole to burp.

Left out the space chicks flirting with him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I remember when TFA was coming out they just spent a lot of time showing the Phasma armor but would say nothing about the character, and it wasn’t until the movie came out that I understood why

I was more amazed that Rian Johnson kept her in TLJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Phasma is basically a symptom of them having no idea what to do with finn. None of the mains other than finn ever have any idea who she even is, I feel