Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Don’t worry about it!

e: Don’t worry about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
what's up with Aizawa and the sleeping bag? Is he supposed to be homeless

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Alan Smithee posted:

He's an active hero all night then teaches all day. Dude is exhausted 24/7.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

New Leaf posted:

He's an active hero all night then teaches all day. Dude is exhausted 24/7.

He also gives remarkably few fucks about social expectations, and likes to be efficient, so why not sleep in the classroom?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

PMush Perfect posted:

How could you disrespect Sero like this?

Captain Office Supplies will be alright.

e: for anyone that's new, please enjoy

https://twitter.com/lettershui/status/996464565658505216

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Alan Smithee posted:

His aesthetic is "Eraserhead", hence the bandages and his first appearance being bundled up in a sleeping bag.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Horikoshi is a huge westaboo nerd.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Saw the movie. It was very................. I don't want to say "generic", but also, felt kinda generic? Like, yeah, that sure was a series of events that had (some) of the characters involved! Hm. I wasn't bored or anything, but eh, not missing much if you don't watch it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Saw the movie. It was very................. I don't want to say "generic", but also, felt kinda generic? Like, yeah, that sure was a series of events that had (some) of the characters involved! Hm. I wasn't bored or anything, but eh, not missing much if you don't watch it.

It's mostly worth it for the ending team up.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I watched it today and other than the contrived reasons for everyone to be there it was a fun time.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/pkjd8I8/status/1140218762236313600

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Really curious how well the Overhaul arc will be received in anime form.
I for one was a big fan but it's divisive to say the least.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think the pacing of an anime will do some good for it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

drat that poster is sick, I can't wait for this season.

Waffleman_ posted:

I think the pacing of an anime will do some good for it.

Plus we probably won't get unfinished episodes due to the author getting horribly sick in the middle it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

E: dangit this is my thread even

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 16, 2019

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

e: whoops

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 16, 2019

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Maybe don't talk about the manga in the anime thread?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Doku loving dies edit: whoops

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
"Hope the anime doesn't suck hard like the manga" is a brave stance to take already!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The overhaul arc was good on a re-read but was not great at various points when it was being published weekly because Horikoshi was dying from the Japanese cold for most of it.

A lot of short, sketchy chapters and 3-4 absences kinda hurt it weekly.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
The anime is consistently better than the manga, so it'll probably be fine.
Like, Horikoshi is pretty good at what he does, but I don't think his art style and approach to writing manga lends itself to some of the action he wants to convey, wheras the anime usually nails it and gets fancy with it on top of things.

I don't think people miss much when they only watch the anime version and I do think people miss out on a lot when they only read the manga.
Like, the extra manga sketches of people in their regular outfits and the accompanying character descriptions are usually kinda neat, but there's really no good ways to include them in the anime.

Cheers for bumping the thread with the actual date in any case, looking forward to it.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 16, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/justinbriner/status/1140416077538746369

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Amazing hero, absolute shitheel of a parent

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

Amazing hero, absolute shitheel of a parent
Realizing this was kind of Todoroki's reason for interning with him, wasn't it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The best thing was when Endeavor got what he wanted by being the Number One Hero, but he didn't earn the title by his own merit or anything he did, he just got it by default because All Might nearly died. gently caress you. Hoes mad.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

Realizing this was kind of Todoroki's reason for interning with him, wasn't it?

Correct. Todoroki's growth led him to accept Endeavor the Nº2 Hero and Todoroki Enji the Nº1 Worst Dad as different facets of him, and thus focus his well-deserved hatred on the latter while accepting the former's guidance as a Hero.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think the tournament / Todoroki arc is still my favorite part of MHA. It's basically all great character moments.

I'm a mark for tournaments though, especially with a strong ensemble cast I want to get more attention.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It looked like they were gonna give gravity girl some character before reverting her to dumbass love interest

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Average Bear posted:

It looked like they were gonna give gravity girl some character before reverting her to dumbass love interest

She has character

She's just not the focus most of the time, and she's put her attraction on the back burner so she can focus on her career, which is more than a lot of other love interests can say

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Uraraka has way more character than most modern shonen love interests

Unfortunately for her there are other girls in the cast that still have way more character

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I will have zero complaints about Uraraka's characterization just as soon as they let her actually win a major fight. Right now I think her highpoint is...basically a draw with what's-her-face the shapeshifter? If she could get just a couple of fights where she gets to gravity-assisted power-bomb somebody important into submission she'd be doing great.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I have negative interest in Uraraka's crush on Deku

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I will have zero complaints about Uraraka's characterization just as soon as they let her actually win a major fight. Right now I think her highpoint is...basically a draw with what's-her-face the shapeshifter? If she could get just a couple of fights where she gets to gravity-assisted power-bomb somebody important into submission she'd be doing great.

She's got some good stuff coming. Eventually.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 21, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Manga spoilers.

This is the anime thread.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

This is the anime thread.

Right. Thanks for catching me. Got it mixed up for a bit there.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't have a problem with Uraraka being in love with Deku. I just wish she and the other ladies could, ya know, hang with the dudes. None of the girls I've seen have Quirks made for battle and that's a bad thing in a battle shounen. One Piece and My Hero Academia are two of the most acclaimed shounen around but neither does women that well....

Even still, Mina is my favorite because I love her design and powers. Acid could be excellent in a fight except she doesn't get the magical and unexplained superhuman speed and durability of Bakugo to go with her Quirk.

I've been rewatching the anime in preparation for the next season. I think I have a better appreciation for a lot of things now, particularly the villains. I didn't think much of the bad guys first time around outside of All For One. But I really like how Shigaraki is starting at Level 1 like our Heroes are. It's not an Aizen or Freeza situation where the plot begins with him being the strongest ever and it's all a race to catch up. Stain also left a greater impression on me. I hope we continue to get stuff on how his charismatic fundamentalism has changed society. "What is a Hero anyway?" is an intriguing question. Spinner's line that "Didn't anyone ever tell you ti's not a Hero's job to be happy!"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Trailer for the new movie:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_ZXjab8o98w

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't have a problem with Uraraka being in love with Deku. I just wish she and the other ladies could, ya know, hang with the dudes. None of the girls I've seen have Quirks made for battle and that's a bad thing in a battle shounen. One Piece and My Hero Academia are two of the most acclaimed shounen around but neither does women that well....

Even still, Mina is my favorite because I love her design and powers. Acid could be excellent in a fight except she doesn't get the magical and unexplained superhuman speed and durability of Bakugo to go with her Quirk.

I've been rewatching the anime in preparation for the next season. I think I have a better appreciation for a lot of things now, particularly the villains. I didn't think much of the bad guys first time around outside of All For One. But I really like how Shigaraki is starting at Level 1 like our Heroes are. It's not an Aizen or Freeza situation where the plot begins with him being the strongest ever and it's all a race to catch up. Stain also left a greater impression on me. I hope we continue to get stuff on how his charismatic fundamentalism has changed society. "What is a Hero anyway?" is an intriguing question. Spinner's line that "Didn't anyone ever tell you ti's not a Hero's job to be happy!"

I think the girls have powers that have a lot of combat potential, it just isn't used which is a shame.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
This upcoming season presents some opportunities to show things that happened off-screen in the manga which would alleviate your complaint, and I really hope they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
like mina could punch a dude and then melt his face off, but that's just never going to happen in a shonen series