Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Zonekeeper posted:

I'm actually surprised a series as well regarded as 08th MS Team hasn't gotten an updated run of kits. Is it one of those series where it didn't do very well in Japan so they don't give it any love in terms of kits?

I think part of it is just that there's not really a lot of cool mobile suits in 08th MS Team to chose from (other than like Ez8 and RX-79[G] and then mostly the same Zeon mobile suits -- Zaku/Gouf/Dom/Acguy). Probably because 08th takes place so early in the UC timeline. Though an Apsalus kit would be neat.

Going to throw my hat into the mobile game ring too: E6ML32HUE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

That Gobbo posted:

They did just get a new batch of HGs.

I don't really count those because the All Gundam Project those were released under meant every series had their main character Gundams get a re-mold.

I was more specifically referring to the lack of an update to the MG EZ8/Gundam Ground Type, but considering it's taken this long for an MG Barbatos to happen I guess that section of the product line is just slow in general.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The EZ8 doesn't really need an HG update because the 2013 release is just as good as the 2018 Ground Gundam, and in some places it's better. Still waiting for some more RG OYW suits.

MG needs a revive.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
It’s pretty hot in my area now, it’s not TOO humid but just wondering, what’s the ideal humidity/temp for airbrushing? I have a thermometer and hygrometer on my workstation so I can know for sure

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Did you buy a hygrometer for gunpla or did you just... happen to have a hygrometer?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

Did you buy a hygrometer for gunpla or did you just... happen to have a hygrometer?

...which answer makes me not crazy?

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011
Going to toss my ID out there as well for GWBC: EFY5Y1DFT. Speaking as someone who actually bought New Gundam Breaker on Steam it is surprisingly not completely terrible. Almost fun, even. So that's an unexpected plus.

Bringing it back to plastic, I finally started work on trying my first MG. Started back up slowly a few years ago by buying a MG Tallgeese which is still sitting in the box terrifying my dreams, but I've been slowly working through the different years, types of kits, and how they're all engineered. It still blows me away how they have come so far. I loved the poo poo out of the IBO 1/100 FM line since it reminded me of the old NG 1/100s I used to build and am looking forward to them continuing that line into the future with other shows.

Now it's time to tackle a MG, drat it. So I've picked up a super cheap "parts only, incomplete, damaged!" God Gundam kit to mangle horribly and try some new things out on. I haven't seen much G-Gundam. I don't care for the design. I am going to screw this up. And unlike that Tallgeese, I give zero shits. It's going to be glorious.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Tallgeese is a really nice MG that is hard to mess up so don’t be afraid of it regardless of how the God Gundam turns out.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Something I've found useful lately if I'm nervous or unsure about a specific part even after re-reviewing the gunpla manual is to look up a speed build video online; I've definitely saved myself some wear and tear going "oh, THAT's how it's supposed to go in"

But yeah, mostly, have fun!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So on a non-Gunpla but still thread relevant tangent, anyone here who has gotten and built one or more of the Rihio Multiabyss model kits, cause they look amazing and they're pretty cheap, and most reviews I've seen have been pretty glowing, but I figure it never hurts to get more potential feedback

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Game: I buffed my suit a little too much, went from consistently and rapidly eating poo poo against the final campaign boss, to a hard fight but closely lost, to loving bodying them with one Last Shooting out of the 4-star RX-78 rifle. I would have settled for hard fought but closely won, and some leftover upgrade parts. Anyway enjoy using Stabby if you see it pop up for the dailies.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I made a GBGW thread so that we don't have to worry about filling up this thread with videogame talk.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Welp, I tore the Alex 2.0's right hand off the wrist whoops. Glued it back on, and I guess I'm just never going to move that joint again.

I'd heard that joint was tight so i intended to loosen it up, but it didn't look like a wrist I've built before so I didn't realize it was until after the entire forearm was put together. It's G13+G14, for anyone who wants to know :v:

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I finally picked this up while on vacation and now I want to build a whole squad of them:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Finally got around to putting some weapons on PG Unicorn. It's a pain in the rear end to get all the arms symmetrical but the end result is super worth it:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I love the HaroPla so much. I want to buy 5 of them and make a HaroPla Ginyu Force.

Also, it's a gigantic pain in the rear end to wait to paint a model because all of my paint is in transit from Hong Kong to the east coast of the US

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
If you don't buy every HaroPla you are doing it wrong.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think I would enjoy the PG Unicorn more if I didn't put the LED kit in it, the wires really limit it's movement.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Scope out my messy new workspace now that I’m finally done clearing out most of the garage

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

How do you find using a stool? I have a chair at my kitchen table (small apartment with no real room otherwise) that tends to get pretty uncomfortable after a little while and I've been thinking about getting something more comfortable like a drum throne or similar.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

How do you find using a stool? I have a chair at my kitchen table (small apartment with no real room otherwise) that tends to get pretty uncomfortable after a little while and I've been thinking about getting something more comfortable like a drum throne or similar.

Funny you mention a drum throne because that's exactly what that is. Behind where I'm standing to take that picture is my drum set, I just pick up and move the stool depending one what I'm there to do. I like it a lot but I'm used to sitting in it for a long time so I'm not sure if I'm the best gauge of how comfortable it is. As long as I don't slouch I can sit there for a long time pretty comfortably.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

If you're considering a stool you really should try a stool sample first.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

I have been owned.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I think someone at Kotobukiya is a big fan of Dark Souls and/or Berserk

http://schizophonic9.com/re5/hexa_quetzal.html

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Hello gunpla thread!

After recently visiting a friend of mine where we sort of ended up staying at home with all our plans cancelled. I ended up getting back into gunpla and built a couple of kits in short time. Wich made me realize how fun and zen building these things is.

Then insanity hit me and I decided on making what is basically a thunderbolt sector grimoire red beret since i could source that dirt cheap. Current plan is to combine the tiltrotor pack and weaponry+shields from two red berets into a backpack with the shields mounted on the arms from the ball ballden arms build parts(this fits, just tried!). I already have some of the things needed for the build and the rest is on a boat.

I got some questions for the thread.

-I've not done any custom work on gunpla or plastic models, would you want a build log as i fight bad decisions and get stuck on things?
-I want to shorten the barrel on the big rifle the red beret has. I'm assuming that taking nippers to them would probably do more damage than good, are there tiny saws or something like that that you would recommend?
-Any recommendations on how to then glue the barrel back together after hacking it into chunks.(super glue or the plastic meltytogether stuff(I forgot what it's called)
-Got any suggestions for what would fit the shootiest thing I'll probably ever build?(and should i build the stabbiest thing out of the spare red beret I'll have)
-lastly, any tools or handy things you'd recommend for this process?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

AzMiLion posted:

-I've not done any custom work on gunpla or plastic models, would you want a build log as i fight bad decisions and get stuck on things?

1000% yes

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

I think someone at Kotobukiya is a big fan of Dark Souls and/or Berserk

http://schizophonic9.com/re5/hexa_quetzal.html

Lol, yeah, that's literally just Artorias with a bow.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

AzMiLion posted:

Hello gunpla thread!

After recently visiting a friend of mine where we sort of ended up staying at home with all our plans cancelled. I ended up getting back into gunpla and built a couple of kits in short time. Wich made me realize how fun and zen building these things is.

Then insanity hit me and I decided on making what is basically a thunderbolt sector grimoire red beret since i could source that dirt cheap. Current plan is to combine the tiltrotor pack and weaponry+shields from two red berets into a backpack with the shields mounted on the arms from the ball ballden arms build parts(this fits, just tried!). I already have some of the things needed for the build and the rest is on a boat.

I got some questions for the thread.

-I want to shorten the barrel on the big rifle the red beret has. I'm assuming that taking nippers to them would probably do more damage than good, are there tiny saws or something like that that you would recommend?
-Any recommendations on how to then glue the barrel back together after hacking it into chunks.(super glue or the plastic meltytogether stuff(I forgot what it's called)
-Got any suggestions for what would fit the shootiest thing I'll probably ever build?(and should i build the stabbiest thing out of the spare red beret I'll have)
-lastly, any tools or handy things you'd recommend for this process?

Build logs are always great, just throw them up on imgur or something.

For a saw you want something like this https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobby-mini-razor-saw-set.html make sure to clamp the piece down on some wood so that you can get a nice straight cut, nippers will destroy anything you try and cut.

Super glue/poly cement should be fine, clean up with some super high grit sand paper.

Take your time, I find sketching out ideas helps with work flow as well.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I bought this thing for working with resin ForgeWorld kits, and it's been useful for getting nice clean cuts on plastic too. The blades break all the time, but it comes with more than a hundred of them, so I still haven't come close to running out.

Plastic glue is probably better than super glue - it won't stick to your hands as much (you can use Acetone nail polish remover to get super glue off if you go that route), and the way it melts the plastic works as a kind of low-grade gap filler, just you have to be careful not to slosh it around or it can melt details on the model.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Great Mazinger SD WIP. Going for as clean and metallic as possible

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Thanks for all the advice everyone, Once the build start proper when everything gets here I'll start making progress posts.
I'm super excited to get started and kinda anxious about things since I have no idea how well i can execute everything. Gues I'll learn a lot.
I've been tinkering around in paint with images from dalong and have a rough idea of how i want to alter the gun. Thinking of something ilke this

Top one is the original gun, Bottom one is my plan for now.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
Does Amazon in the US get new releases pretty quickly or am I going to be getting the RG Nu I ordered weeks from now? Wanting to temper expectations so I don’t lose myself to Gundam madness.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

YanniRotten posted:

Does Amazon in the US get new releases pretty quickly or am I going to be getting the RG Nu I ordered weeks from now? Wanting to temper expectations so I don’t lose myself to Gundam madness.

I would wait for some reviews first. You don't want another shinanju grenade.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I would expect to be waiting until at least september.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Wibbleman posted:

I would wait for some reviews first. You don't want another shinanju grenade.

Well the problem with Sinanju was they insisted on using the RG frame despite all the ill advised wizardry they had to use to make it work with the size. Luckily they don't do that anymore.

http://schizophonic9.com/re5/rg_nu.html

The only place the RG Nu even uses the advanced MS joint is on the fin funnel joints. Otherwise it appears to be built like a mini MG as is the current trend. It also apparently has some sockets built into the design for the inevitable HWS add-on pack.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 10, 2019

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Got my shipping notice for the P-Bandai RG Tallgeese III from Bluefin. Hope they keep this up.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Got set up to paint this morning. Going to see how much of the Ez8 I can get through today.

Edit: Got the mail and some new things came:

Amp fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 10, 2019

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Got set up to paint this morning. Going to see how much of the Ez8 I can get through today.

Edit: Got the mail and some new things came:

Where do you get those big chunks of cardboard?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Null of Undefined posted:

Where do you get those big chunks of cardboard?

If you're talking about the thing to the left of the cutting mat in the first picture, it's a cut up cat scratcher. It was ~$6 bucks for 4 of that size - https://www.chewy.com/kong-naturals-cat-scratcher-refill-2/dp/177321

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

If you're talking about the thing to the left of the cutting mat in the first picture, it's a cut up cat scratcher. It was ~$6 bucks for 4 of that size - https://www.chewy.com/kong-naturals-cat-scratcher-refill-2/dp/177321

Thats a really clever idea, and I have some of that on hand... albeit scratched up. Just have to be sure not to leave it somewhere with parts on it where it might see continued use around here.