Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
On the page, Phasma's character is kind of funny in TFA. She's presented as an ominous big bad, and represents this impossible standard that the FO has held Finn to all his life. In the end, she's revealed as a hypocrite (she's no more willing to die for the FO than anyone else), ends up being nearly single-handedly responsible for the destruction of Starkiller Base, and gets literally thrown in the garbage. But the framing is all off; the punchline never lands.

edit: It doesn't help that when she comes back in TLJ, she basically pretends that nothing ever happened. It makes sense that she wouldn't tell anyone what happened, but the fact that the character doesn't come back humbled in any was just renders her role at the end of TFA completely pointless.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

Left out the space chicks flirting with him.

:negative: I forgot his other sign of badassiness.

General Dog posted:

On the page, Phasma's character is kind of funny in TFA. She's presented as an ominous big bad, and represents this impossible standard that the FO has held Finn to all his life. In the end, she's revealed as a hypocrite (she's no more willing to die for the FO than anyone else), ends up being nearly single-handedly responsible for the destruction of Starkiller Base, and gets literally thrown in the garbage. But the framing is all off; the punchline never lands.

Never looked at it like this. Fun thought.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Colostomy Bag posted:

Left out the space chicks flirting with him.
Also:

AOTC:
- Immediate distrust of Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi when introduced.
- Helps his "dad" by firing that weird space ship's lasers at Obi-Wan Kenobi on the landing platform.
- Had a pretty cool laugh at the thought destroying Obi-Wan Kenobi in the space fight.
- Had no problem picking up the helmet his "dad"'s head was in before it was lopped off by Jedi Mace Windu.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

People like Phasma because she represents the hours upon hours spent grinding to get the chrome plated bonus items in Star Wars: Battlefront.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It's pretty subtle but you see the shadow of Jango's head fall out the helmet when it gets lopped off.

(If that's what you meant)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I thought that was his soul escaping

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

from the george that is chafing

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I just find it funny that someone posted an entire essay about an Aztec-looking set at Pinewood they thought was for Episode 9 reshoots but the next day they found out it was for a Marvel movie instead.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The MSJ posted:

I just find it funny that someone posted an entire essay about an Aztec-looking set at Pinewood they thought was for Episode 9 reshoots but the next day they found out it was for a Marvel movie instead.

If we don't see the Falcon flying by in the background during Asguardians of the Galaxy, then what's even the point of the MCU anymore?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Gotta get them clicks

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
fondly remembering that the big behind the scenes fan blog predicted that bb-8 was r2d2's daughter

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
While Phasma being dispatched easily in both films is hilarious, I also really like her moments on screen. Her reveal in TLJ Is super badass especially with her delivery of "FN2187, so glad to have you back"

I also like Boba Fett being eaten by the sand pit too, so I guess I just like random villains who die hilariously.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

While Phasma being dispatched easily in both films is hilarious, I also really like her moments on screen. Her reveal in TLJ Is super badass especially with her delivery of "FN2187, so glad to have you back"

I also like Boba Fett being eaten by the sand pit too, so I guess I just like random villains who die hilariously.
I like Boba Fett getting eaten as well. :) It's the way he jets around the battlefield in the background flailing and screaming that make the scene for me.

Just rewatched that scene, I had forgotten that Boba Fett actually ties Luke up with rope. I suppose I should put that on his list as well. I wish I knew if it was my nostalgia speaking, but this entire scene is really good. So much happening at the same time yet it's easy enough to follow.

Oddly I don't know anyone who doesn't like how Boba Fett was eaten. :shrug: It's like he can do no wrong.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
My beef with Phasma is that she's really immersion-breaking (though hardly the only offender from the sequels). Considering we've only ever seen stormtroopers commanded by officers in plain uniform, the idea of this super stormtrooper kinda jumps out at me as pretty cynical marketing.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

fish titties

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Ahem Squid Titties

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

galagazombie posted:

Ahem Squid Titties

You’re thinking of the other guys, mon calamari got fish heads despite the name

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

General Dog posted:

edit: It doesn't help that when she comes back in TLJ, she basically pretends that nothing ever happened. It makes sense that she wouldn't tell anyone what happened, but the fact that the character doesn't come back humbled in any was just renders her role at the end of TFA completely pointless.

Maybe she's just a clone. TLJ Phasma didn't mention what happened in TFA because she knows her predecessor died and Finn was involved, but doesn't know the exact details about how she got shoved into a garbage disposal for comedy.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/MaxScoville/status/1158874624047796224

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kanine posted:

fish titties

A designer for Star Wars Galaxies actually asked Lucasfilm if mon calamari women have breasts, to which they were told "no" because fish don't have them.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

DeimosRising posted:

You’re thinking of the other guys, mon calamari got fish heads despite the name

No both they and the Quarrens have pretty explicitly squidy heads, I think that was the logic behind the EU saying they were both from the same planet.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

galagazombie posted:

No both they and the Quarrens have pretty explicitly squidy heads, I think that was the logic behind the EU saying they were both from the same planet.

Where do you see the squid resemblance in the Mon Calamari? Squids have tentacles and a beak. Mom Calamari look like carps:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Lucas never could wrap his mind around characters like Boba Fett or Darth Vader having a fanbase. That was why he chose Boba Fett dying to the sarlacc since there was really no way you could make it sound badass that his rocket pack malfunctioned and he wilhelm screamed into the sarlacc's mouth.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
So if I understand Star Wars lore correctly, Sheev was just a clone of the original Shev, right?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I can appreciate the novelty and messaging of killing or punking your cool looking authoritarian shithead bad guy character but Phasma was a waste of Gwendoline Christie.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

It's absurd that they wasted not only Gwendoline Christie, but also Lupita Nyong'o (who thought it was a good idea to cast her a horrifying old lady E.T. creature?) and Max Von Sydow.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Captain Jesus posted:

Where do you see the squid resemblance in the Mon Calamari? Squids have tentacles and a beak. Mom Calamari look like carps:

Mon Calamari have squid shaped heads, have the same bulging eyes of a squid, are the stereotypical red color ascribed to squid, have funny tentacle fingers, and are named Calamari. They be Squid yo.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Mon Calamari have squid shaped heads, have the same bulging eyes of a squid, are the stereotypical red color ascribed to squid, have funny tentacle fingers, and are named Calamari. They be Squid yo.

They have a fish mouth and nostrils, eyes positioned like a fish and their fingers don't really look like tentacles. The little protuberances they have on they chins look like the catfish whiskers (apparently called barbels). It's mostly the absence of tentacles that undermines the squid resemblance. The fish resemblance is more apparent and supported by the lack of the most typical squid feature.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
admiral ackbar's just one of those big googly-eyed goldfish and nobody has the heart to tell him he can't fly a starship

bij
Feb 24, 2007

G.I. Joe had a Boba Fett conundrum, they weren't sure if people would buy Cobra bad guys. Cobra action figures ended up contributing something like 40% of G.I. Joe sales. Turns out if you make something look cool people will appreciate it despite being told it's bad in your 2nd grade morality play.

Now why don't people identify with THE RESISTANCE who thus far are a bunch of chodes in Star Wars cosplay trundling about in space taxis?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Captain Jesus posted:

They have a fish mouth and nostrils, eyes positioned like a fish and their fingers don't really look like tentacles. The little protuberances they have on they chins look like the catfish whiskers (apparently called barbels). It's mostly the absence of tentacles that undermines the squid resemblance. The fish resemblance is more apparent and supported by the lack of the most typical squid feature.

I mean if you don't see Akbar here I don't know what to tell you.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

galagazombie posted:

I mean if you don't see Akbar here I don't know what to tell you.

You can tell me that you admit that your assertion of Ackbar's squid resemblance is questionable at best because Ackbar has no tentacles and instead has a very prominent fish mouth, complete with "barbels", duh. Squid don't have that.

If you want to make an alien creature look like a squid, you give it tentacles. If you instead make it look like that goldfish with bulging eyes, you hosed up! It appears that Mon Calamari are inspired by both fish and squids, but the fish features are much more prominent.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

but named after an appetizer

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mon Calamari is clearly a galactic basic word that describes a species with the wrong term due to shifts in language, like Pennsylvania Dutch

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Less than five months from a new Star War and this is what the spoiler thread is fixated on.

That’s a solid measure of how engaged fans are with the new trilogy.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Newest spoilers/rumor storyboards:

https://www.docdroid.net/PDN76rD/the-rise-of-skywalker-spoilerboard-v21.pdf

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
FFG unveiled an Onager-class Star Destroyer. Onager is a type of ancient catapult. A picture shows it bombarding a planet with a big cannon. Adds legitimacy to those rumors of Death Star Destroyers?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

There was a goofy planetary barrage sequence with vanilla star destroyers in the Rebels cartoon that did gently caress-all and the silly pizza slice dreadnought in TLJ was supposed to be a planetary bombardment platform so predicting anything off ship releases is a crapshoot. Whether any single ship can ratfuck a planet is entirely dependent on whatever story is being told

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

High Lord Elbow posted:

Less than five months from a new Star War and this is what the spoiler thread is fixated on.

That’s a solid measure of how engaged fans are with the new trilogy.
I mean, they have released so little about the new movie so far, so it’s mostly going to be speculation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
What I find kind of funny is that there's a guy making a pretty cool mod for Empire at War and he had to come up with a model for the New Republic Starhawk and he ended up with this:

Tapered main hull with a big cross-beam at the front that also contains the hangars.

And now this week, Armada released official images of the Starhawk and some images we got were these:

Which is great, except that those are pictures of the other ship they released: the Onager Star Destroyer.

This is the Starhawk: