Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I need some new action shonen to read that I don't already and ideally has a bunch of chapters to work through. Ragna crimson was the last one

If I weren't phone posting I'd probably just post my.mangadex followed list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Blue cause Kimetsu, Deku and Chainsawman kick rear end.
I only read One Piece and Dr Stone in Red; can live without (in the sense that I can survive no HxH).

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

Gonna continue pouring one out for Marry Grave

Japan doesn't want good fantasy stories, they just want more wish fullfillment fantasy isekai where the MC is some bland generic black haired every man who gains all the powers in the world and decides he wants to play sim city with it. Bonus points if they reincarnate as a little girl or some quirky animal with levelling up mechanics. Then they just shove as many of the carbon copy waifu characters who will just be there for the reader to fawn over, all while the MC continues to have no clear goals or motivations besides lording his power over everyone and pretending he's trying to save the world or something. God forbid we have a fantasy story where the main character has a place in the world, something tangible to acquire, and while being powerful does need help as the story progresses? Would suck to have a fleshed out setting with intriguing lore and worldbuilding and truly fantastical locations. Not just more people going through a vaguely European stock town eating rice and sushi.

Yes I'm still bitter over Marry Grave being cancelled, how could you tell?

Bad Seafood posted:

I read a few chapters back when it was new, seemed fine (if a bit janky), but didn't really grab me. I'm prepared to believe it got better though.

Jujutsu did get better but has the problem of the writer jarringly moving from one arc to another, and sometimes just moments within an arc. Which leads to some confusion when reading it. I'd say Volume 3 is where the story starts to stop being super generic and starts introducing the more interesting exorcists and situations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Brought To You By posted:

i for one am just glad that Mx0 finally has some company in that god-forsaken corner

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
You forgot the part where the protagonist becomes rich effortlessly thanks to some mundane modern day convenience or advancement they read about once on wikipedia and just remember, that all the miserable mud-farming peasants are blown away by.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I Transformed A Medieval Kingdom Overnight Thanks To My Potato Battery And Now The Court Wizard Is Pissed.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
To be fair, Mark Twain did that first with Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court, with him re-inventing modern day stuff pissing off Merlin

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, that's what I was going for there.

Twain gets a pass though for being a satirist. Tangentially, Dr. Stone also gets a pass for Senku being an actually likable guy who just loves science and wants to help get civilization back on track. It's not an inherently flawed concept, just one prone to abuse.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bad Seafood posted:

Twain gets a pass though for being a satirist. Tangentially, Dr. Stone also gets a pass for Senku being an actually likable guy who just loves science and wants to help get civilization back on track. It's not an inherently flawed concept, just one prone to abuse.

In Dr stone thats the entire premise, that all these simple conveniences that we take for granted would seem miraculous to those who didnt experience them.
In Generic Isekai #512431 its to be lazy and explain away why Mr. Protagonist doesnt have to do anything outside advancing the plot.

Personally I believe the Isekai craze is going to burn Japan on fantasy for a long while when it does finally peter out.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

You forgot the part where the protagonist becomes rich effortlessly thanks to some mundane modern day convenience or advancement they read about once on wikipedia and just remember, that all the miserable mud-farming peasants are blown away by.

Elves not understanding Crop Rotations will never not be utterly retarded.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mulderman posted:

Next chapter will be the finale. I'm sad because I really liked that series.

Really? That's unfortunate. It wasn't particularly great, but it was entertaining and had clear enough art.
I think the main problem I have with the last Saiyuki is that there's nothing of note in there. There's nothing annoying, nothing offensive but unfortunately nothing particularly good either. Though at least the Mangaka had a pretty solid pace. Like the cholera monster, Bleach would've taken 4 chapters, 2 rescues and 2 asspulls to deal with it. (Or 1 Mayuri) but he dealt with it in like 1.5 chapters.
It's all a big ball of comforting average.
Though I laughed out loud when Ryonosuke broke the ugly short guy's concentration by telling him he kissed the girl.

And please stop pouring salt in my Marry Grave wound

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

In Dr stone thats the entire premise, that all these simple conveniences that we take for granted would seem miraculous to those who didnt experience them.
In Generic Isekai #512431 its to be lazy and explain away why Mr. Protagonist doesnt have to do anything outside advancing the plot.

Personally I believe the Isekai craze is going to burn Japan on fantasy for a long while when it does finally peter out.

Dr. Stone having the "primitive" characters also be really skilled and intelligent helps too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Dr. Stone having the "primitive" characters also be really skilled and intelligent helps too.

when we got that one huge page that laid out all the characters in the village i thought to myself "well this comic started out okay but it's going to sputter out hard now"

what a fool i was

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I forget his name but the village chief is low-key one of my favorite characters because they set him up like he's gonna be the standard grouchy authority figure set in his ways but then Senku shows him what he's talking about and he goes "Actually that's dope, I'll allow it, do more of that stuff."

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Golem Hearts has imo the most rushed ending I've ever seen.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How I Got Reincartnated Into the Slayers Universe And I'm Not Lina Inverse.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

How I Got Reincartnated Into the Slayers Universe And I'm Not Lina Inverse.

ah, so you died instantly.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ah, so you died instantly.

Only if you reincarnated as a bandit. As any other character you have at LEAST a 30% chance of survival.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zerilan posted:

Yeah a lot of fantasyFiction all around the world just forget or doesnt realize that we arent any smarter than we were 500-800-* years ago, but we have a huge corpus of knowledge that we can stand upon.

Which dr stone also acknowledges

Dr stone is good go read it

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 9, 2019

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Decided to make a SPY X FAMILY thread before the next chapter's out, thread's here.

Hopefully that should unite the discussion that's spread across like 3-4 threads :v:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Brought To You By posted:

Japan doesn't want good fantasy stories, they just want more wish fullfillment fantasy isekai where the MC is some bland generic black haired every man who gains all the powers in the world and decides he wants to play sim city with it. Bonus points if they reincarnate as a little girl or some quirky animal with levelling up mechanics. Then they just shove as many of the carbon copy waifu characters who will just be there for the reader to fawn over, all while the MC continues to have no clear goals or motivations besides lording his power over everyone and pretending he's trying to save the world or something. God forbid we have a fantasy story where the main character has a place in the world, something tangible to acquire, and while being powerful does need help as the story progresses? Would suck to have a fleshed out setting with intriguing lore and worldbuilding and truly fantastical locations. Not just more people going through a vaguely European stock town eating rice and sushi.

Yeah, I don't get the whole died but was reborn in a world with all memories of past life crap. It's so banal and tasteless. I guess it's mostly light novels being turned into manga or something? Just have the person be from and in that world, you don't need to cater to NEETs.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Hamelekim posted:

I guess it's mostly light novels being turned into manga or something?

Worse than that, it's mostly Web Novels being turned into manga. The difference between Web Novels and Light Novels being that Light Novels have an editor. It's a very small step up from fanfiction, in terms of it just being amateurs throwing stuff at a wall until something sticks.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Clarste posted:

Worse than that, it's mostly Web Novels being turned into manga. The difference between Web Novels and Light Novels being that Light Novels have an editor. It's a very small step up from fanfiction, in terms of it just being amateurs throwing stuff at a wall until something sticks.

It's super annoying because it infects my new and updated manga lists. It seems like it just started in the last year too. I don't know what caused it, but it is really ruining creativity and quality in the manga people are searching for.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

you say it's a small step up from fanfiction but that's almost literally exactly what it is: self-insert fanfiction.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a story set in lame as hell fantasy world with inexplicable rpg elements #3047 isn't fan fiction, just garbage fiction. i'm not sure why you'd conflate fan with amateur.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So I've continued to read Battle in 5 Seconds after Meeting and I'm not sure if this is an OK series , or a good one. In light of having a much more involved story similar to series like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, or Hunter x Hunter this one is just about the fights, with the overarching story of people being abducted and the organization that carried this out left on the wayside, and it's more about the individual challenges the players find themselves in. The current one being a more open world format where players have been dropped off in a large forested region and forced to compete both for points and survival. A small number of factions have cropped up over a period of time leading to three major teams which has currently lead to a war between two of them with the main character working to help the group he joined.

I guess the selling point of this story is the main characters ability which is more complicated than I'm used to the MC's power being. In a nutshell he has the ability to designate someone as his target based on conditions, and once that person is a target he will manifest any power that person thinks he has. Which means he's powerless if he can't make someone a target, or they don't fall for his bluffs. But it also means he can work with another person to guarantee himself specific abilities. It's not an insanely complex ability, but it's preconditions to activate and the variety you can get from it is interesting to ruminate on.

Thing is, the writer isn't just letting the MC have nuance to his powers. These kind of series live and die by how well the author can write a fight and how creative they can be. And in my opinion it's better not to be completely random and have some underlying consistency or logic to how powers work. And that's not a weak point in the writing, even with a fair amount of variety in what we've seen there are rules that seem consistent among certain types of powers and things you can guess about others without having to be explicitly told.

For instance, most defensive abilities are some flavor of "paralyze your body to grant you increased durability". But there's also a guy who can negate any power he comes in contact with so long as he's got at least 1 hand on the floor. So once that's in your head you look at one of the recurring characters, a martial artist type who refuses to use his ability but we've been told that it "makes him invincible for 2 seconds" and my assumption was that he like the rest cannot move while in that state but he'd have the best defensive returns of anyone. Turns out that's not the case but it's neither a bad thing nor was it boring to find out exactly what form his invincibility takes. And his opponent was also cool because we're told and shown that he can shrink things, but he can also shrink more conceptual things like the space between him and another place. So he also gets a form of teleportation when previously I figured he was shrinking his own body and running off. Pretty neat stuff.

I just find that the writer isn't really consistent with keeping abilities this interesting. Not because I expect every single encounter to be some complex battle of people bluffing and double bluffing everyone else. But because this guy always ends every fight after a chapter, with a half-chapter of lead up before the fight proper. That's boring because it doesn't allow these powers to get explored that much and the odds of some people with interesting powers coming back is zero in some cases. And it's not like the series doesn't have redundant abilities, but the ones that are more common are all the more boring ones in a fight because they are too simple in application. There have been 3 people whose power is "turn a stick into a sword that can cut through anything", there have been a couple teleporters, Two people who can multiply their strength by 5x, and a handful of people who can strengthen their body like steel at the cost of their mobility. Not like there aren't a couple dozen more people running around the battle that have different stuff than that but those repeats have stuck out more to me. But there was a duo of people whose ability amounted to Bad Company from Jojo's 4th part One of my favorite stands by the way but that specific combination doesn't seem likely to show up again.

It's just that combination of really short fights but really interesting matchups that keep this series down. I'm pretty sure it's monthly so that is probably a reason for why the fights are kept short but it still blows. It wouldn't hurt to pretend some of these bad guys are going to be recurring either. But that's my rant, I still think the series is worth reading.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
let me tell y'all about the original isekai: Ultima

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Isekai just sounds like Fushigi Yuugi to me but even more obviously about self-insert fantasies.

And also it's only for men from what I've seen.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Dr. Stone was better when Bob Denver did it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fan Colorized Panel, Dr. Stone, 2019

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Isekai just sounds like Fushigi Yuugi to me but even more obviously about self-insert fantasies.

And also it's only for men from what I've seen.

there's a ton of popular isekai targeted at girls and women, both old and new

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Blockhouse posted:

let me tell y'all about the original isekai: John Carter of Mars

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Fan Colorized Panel, Dr. Stone, 2019
Can't wait for the Wrongway Feldman arc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

a story set in lame as hell fantasy world with inexplicable rpg elements #3047 isn't fan fiction, just garbage fiction. i'm not sure why you'd conflate fan with amateur.

Because fanfiction doesn't have any barriers to entry or professional editors. Which was the main point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Clarste posted:

Because fanfiction doesn't have any barriers to entry or professional editors. Which was the main point.

neither does amateur fiction! also, a dude with a touhou av disparaging fan fiction is really funny.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

And a ton of Touhou fanfic sucks! It's just the way of the world that when you let anyone write anything, it takes some work to sift out the crap.

But anyway I just used the fanfiction comparison because I figured more people are aware of it than they are of unpublished amateur writing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that is equally true for published fiction. the vast majority of creative content in any medium completely sucks balls. no gatekeeper or rule set will ever change this fact.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

dogsicle posted:

there's a ton of popular isekai targeted at girls and women, both old and new

Are we talking about stuff like FY or "actual" Isekai?

I don't think I've seen an anime actually called an Isekai. "Character goes to another world and is worshiped and gets a harem" sounds like Fushigi Yuugi but nobody called that Isekai. Isekai seems to be used to describe a recent trend of really bad stories that I hear people complain about constantly like Shield Hero.

I figured there had to be something that marked these stories as distinctly different from FY or Inuyasha or other stories from 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's not. Inuyasha is an Isekai

They probably just weren't so prominent that they had their own term.