Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
That's exactly how I imagine Rothfuss.

Sitting at the side of a pool, shirt still on, taking selfies from unflattering angles and hitting send on some weird-rear end tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Those glasses are a choice.

Someone made those.

Someone thought they were a good enough idea to sell them.

And then Pat Rothfuss thought they were a good enough idea to buy and wear them.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Those glasses are a choice.

Someone made those.

Someone thought they were a good enough idea to sell them.

And then Pat Rothfuss thought they were a good enough idea to buy and wear them.

A choice of three parts, if you will.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
rothfart

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

See, this is why I don't believe in body positivity

This man should not be proud of anything about his physical aspect

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The woman taking his picture looks skinny. Good on him for that at least.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
That's his wife "girlfriend" (they've lived together for a decade and have two kids). I believe that she's still with him because her judgement is impaired in some way, possibly by olfactory means.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm not even sure what "Birthday Boyfriend" is supposed to mean, and I think that's for the best

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

That's his wife "girlfriend" (they've lived together for a decade and have two kids). I believe that she's still with him because her judgement is impaired in some way, possibly by olfactory means.

Ah, so that is how he knows that every woman alive wants to bang him for his smell.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

rothfuss looks like he wears a fanny pack and there is always some cheese in it

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Patware posted:

rothfuss looks like he wears a fanny pack and there is always some cheese in it

Cheese is likely the most innocuous thing is his pack. Asking con girls to follow him up to his room for ice cream does not sound like someone who's just looking for pleasant chat.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the cheese is only for him

to get ready

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
He has a girlfriend and he still can’t bring himself to comb his ugly beard?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why would he? He's already got a girlfriend.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
specifically, one who apparently already puts up with the beard

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
At least they’re dating each other and not inflicting themselves on anyone else I guess

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

HIJK posted:

At least they’re dating each other and not inflicting themselves on anyone else I guess

Got bad news for you about infliction based on the con stuff

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It gets better, there's a half page long rant in the first book about having kids while unmarried is actually the real way to handle True Love because Kvothe's parents did it, and is no way refusing to commit to the woman who bore your children.

I was not impressed.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Got bad news for you about infliction based on the con stuff

Do you mean the stuff posted a few pages ago? I wasn't sure if that was serious or not, the levels of irony are hard to penetrate :liara:

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

It gets better, there's a half page long rant in the first book about having kids while unmarried is actually the real way to handle True Love because Kvothe's parents did it, and is no way refusing to commit to the woman who bore your children.

I was not impressed.

I remember that, my eyes glazed over when I read it. It sure was a derail.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Just finished both audiobooks. Holy crap is this guy longwinded, and holy crap does he not know how to end a book. Both of them were just like 'okay that's all for now byeeee' like I'd just binged twenty episodes of the Kvothe show and they had a mid season break. No, not even that, because that implies some kind of climax happened and now there's a cliff hanger. Here, it's more like he ran out of pages and then just decided to stop.

Wise Man's Fear especially (or maybe because I just finished it) was just a series of short stories jammed together. There were a handful of common threads running through them, but they were literal single sentences of 'oh yeah the Chandrian whatever came through here or something'. How are we on the second book of a three book series without covering any of the plot? Why does he keep introducing mysteries and characters? There are entire scenes, hours and hours long, that could be excised without affecting anything of the themes or plot within the novels. Where was his editor!?

That being said, there's lots of CONCEPTS I like, and even individual characters. Even though the Adem were a pastiche of ninja tropes, I broadly liked that whole section. The hand talking and language was interesting enough that I wouldn't have minded a book about it, but then again I basically got one because he spent a hundred pages there for no reason. It was just another in a series of digressions he took while telling the story. He tries so hard to sound cool but all I could think of was that he must sound like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Dc7W6jXCo
I'm certain that all of this has been covered exhaustively in this thread, but wow that was a waste of time. Luckily he'll never finish the last book so I won't have to read it.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Dog Kisser posted:

How are we on the second book of a three book series without covering any of the plot?

Welcome to why he hasn't written anything in 8 years.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Dog Kisser posted:

Just finished both audiobooks. Holy crap is this guy longwinded, and holy crap does he not know how to end a book. Both of them were just like 'okay that's all for now byeeee' like I'd just binged twenty episodes of the Kvothe show and they had a mid season break. No, not even that, because that implies some kind of climax happened and now there's a cliff hanger. Here, it's more like he ran out of pages and then just decided to stop.

Wise Man's Fear especially (or maybe because I just finished it) was just a series of short stories jammed together. There were a handful of common threads running through them, but they were literal single sentences of 'oh yeah the Chandrian whatever came through here or something'. How are we on the second book of a three book series without covering any of the plot? Why does he keep introducing mysteries and characters? There are entire scenes, hours and hours long, that could be excised without affecting anything of the themes or plot within the novels. Where was his editor!?

No, both books are literally just random stories he wrote about Kvothe that he duct-taped together. Like the part where he killed the fake Edema Ruh was a slightly edited version of the short story that was the first thing he ever wrote about Kvothe, which is why it reads completely differently from the rest of the books and tries to play up the mysterious of him being a potential creeper rapist the book after he got drugged with a poison that took away his self-restraint and it turned out he didn't rape someone on it because he literally is unable to rape anyone.

Other inserted short stories are well, you named some, but also the entire Tarbean section, which is why he takes a bath and magically converts from malnourished orphan to 15 year old Adonis who could not be more perfect right before he heads to Hogwarts..

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Why on earth would anyone think it was a good idea to cobble together a bunch of short stories into a novel. That’s the baffling part. You can’t just convert them into chapters, that’s ridiculous. Come on now Rothfuss

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Dog Kisser posted:

That being said, there's lots of CONCEPTS I like, and even individual characters. Even though the Adem were a pastiche of ninja tropes, I broadly liked that whole section. The hand talking and language was interesting enough that I wouldn't have minded a book about it, but then again I basically got one because he spent a hundred pages there for no reason. It was just another in a series of digressions he took while telling the story. He tries so hard to sound cool but all I could think of was that he must sound like this:

If you like this sort of stuff (the Adem evokes a poor man's version of the Fremen in Dune to me) then a similar story that I actually enjoyed was The Faded Sun Trilogy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Faded_Sun_Trilogy) in C.J. Cherryh's Alliance-Union Universe.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

HIJK posted:

Why on earth would anyone think it was a good idea to cobble together a bunch of short stories into a novel. That’s the baffling part. You can’t just convert them into chapters, that’s ridiculous. Come on now Rothfuss

That's actually pretty common and used to be even more common back in the days when science fiction / fantasy magazines full of short stories were more popular. Zelazny had at least 2 (Dilvish, the Damned and My Name is Legion), Bradbury had at least 2 (The Martian Chronicles and Fahrenheit 451), etc.

Note the reference to the work that Rothfuss didn't do very well:

quote:

The name comes from the modifications that the author needs to make in the original texts to make them fit together as though they were a novel. Foreshadowing of events from the later stories may be jammed into an early chapter of the fix-up, and character development may be interleaved throughout the book. Contradictions and inconsistencies between episodes are usually worked out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fix-up

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

ulmont posted:

That's actually pretty common and used to be even more common back in the days when science fiction / fantasy magazines full of short stories were more popular. Zelazny had at least 2 (Dilvish, the Damned and My Name is Legion), Bradbury had at least 2 (The Martian Chronicles and Fahrenheit 451), etc.

It actually would've worked fine if Rothfart had just framed the story differently, like having different storytellers telling tales of Kvothe so the inconsistencies and stuff made sense, though it would've been hard to include the Chandrian meta-plot. But when it's all stories told by yourself, about yourself, you'd expect each story to have roughly the same biases and types of errors.

poo poo even if the Chronicler had basically been telling the various tales he'd collected to Kvothe and then Kvothe could be like "well ackshually".

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
A better example of that is The Warlords Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. It's the story of King Arthur as told by one of his chief warlords.

His princess friend is always like, "And then, you surely met this man who you dueled, because honor demanded a rematch!" and he's like, "No, he died making GBS threads his rear end out from dysentery, 15 years later, I never saw him again."

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Again it's real real important to understanding why these books are the way they are to remember that Kvothe is his D&D character and the structure of the story has much more in common with a D&D campaign than with a novel. The quote-unquote worldbuilding bits like overly elaborate currency systems is poo poo you'd find laid out in tables within a DM guide for an adventure. Elements get constantly discarded because there's only so much carryover between sessions. Belated discoveries of "oh you find a sign of the Chandrian" is just something a DM throws in at the end of an area or a set-piece to justify the players' presence there narratively even if the real reason is because the DM just thought it would be cool to have them do. Even things that make no character sense like Felurian can be explained by Kvothe rolling a nat 20 on his gently caress Check

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Huh, so the books can be read more as a mash up of a DM putting together a bunch of half baked lore in their self written campaign and their "avatar" character who is the focus of all the epic stories.

It kind of makes more sense now.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
He is bad. Also he looks EXACTLY as I was expecting him to

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Dog Kisser posted:

He is bad. Also he looks EXACTLY as I was expecting him to

He's like the ur-image of the fantasy author.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

ulmont posted:

Still seems like a bad practice but I learned something new today!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

HIJK posted:

Like a lot of writing techniques, it's probably not good or bad in and of itself, its how you do it.

Though I think if you're just taking old short stories and recycling them that's bad, they should probably be redrafted at a minimum.

Hyperion is arguably the same sort of deal, a series of short stories told by separate characters, but all the tales relate to why the pilgrims are on Hyperion, and it harkens back to The Canterbury Tales, which itself was influenced by the Decameron. The "group of interwoven short stories" as a larger narrative can be really cool and well done.

I mean in a sense that's what any epic series really is, each individual characters story could probably be isolated and told alone - though in that case each one is probably a novel or two in and of itself, rather than a short story.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

But Malazan is also a D&D campaign and while I think the writing is atrocious and can't get past the first 1.2 books, they undeniably have characters and plots.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Nothing really precludes a story from being good just because it's based on a D&D campaign but it needs to be a novel first and a recreation of said campaign second. You can't just copy poo poo over 1:1 and expect it to function dramatically

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

HIJK posted:

Like all writing techniques, if it's done well, you don't notice it. By which I mean if done well you won't realize the novel is a fix-up. If it's done badly, welp.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

eXXon posted:

But Malazan is also a D&D campaign and while I think the writing is atrocious and can't get past the first 1.2 books, they undeniably have characters and plots.

I thought Malazan was a random GURPS campaign?

Eventually, Dwarf Fortress is going end up creating better Fantasy novels than most authors. Hell it probably already does with the current worldgen and legend, you'd just have to edit and elaborate.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

I thought Malazan was a random GURPS campaign?

Eventually, Dwarf Fortress is going end up creating better Fantasy novels than most authors. Hell it probably already does with the current worldgen and legend, you'd just have to edit and elaborate.

Started as AD&D!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Anne Rice is literally more competent than Rothfuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Anne Rice is literally more competent than Rothfuss.

Deep cut.

But true.